random rants

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54821
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1160
x 3519

Re: random rants

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 pm

and right smack dab in the middle of autism awareness month
5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 30770
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 318
x 2448

Re: random rants

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Careless wrote:I wonder if I'm the only one here who knows that "reactionary" doesn't mean what it's been used to mean just about ever on this site (maybe it has been in the history threads?). Keep towing those cows, you highly literate guys.

Image
1 x
Image

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55648
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 4104
x 2460

Re: random rants

Postby David » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:There's a certain breed of grammaitcos, who love to slam their dicks between the musty, gilded pages of gigantic leatherbound dictionaries, who can't help getting their hackles up when they live through the usage/definition of a word changing. Technically, "reactionary" is a stupidly redundant word that only describes someone who is Right-wing, or yearning for the good ol' days of what they perceive as the status quo, or opposed to liberal ideas/politics/philosophies/etc.; simply describing someone as "conservative" makes much more sense and is FAR more relevant these days. The traditional definition would be like if the word "partisan" only applied to one side of the political spectrum; it's a dumb, archaic definition that is, again, completely redundant now.

Most people TODAY, however, use it in the sense of somebody being rash or angry or shortsighted in how they respond to something. I'm assuming the most recent thing here that sent him off was in the latest game thread when people were talking about Theo being reactionary, like whether or not he'd be flipping out/furious over the Cubs being swept by the Pirates at home.

Basically it's a super dumb rant that was just an excuse for him to try and sound like he's smarter than everyone else.


I agree with you but at the same time, I'll be damned if "humbled" is going to take on the opposite meaning of what it actually means, damnit. That's just anarchy.
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 62712
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2219
x 2419

Re: random rants

Postby Banedon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 pm

David wrote:I agree with you but at the same time, I'll be damned if "humbled" is going to take on the opposite meaning of what it actually means, damnit. That's just anarchy.


Image
1 x
Image

User avatar
Castro's Spray Chart
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 8278
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: the REAL chicago
x 467
x 107

Re: random rants

Postby Castro's Spray Chart » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:17 pm

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:There's a certain breed of grammaitcos, who love to slam their dicks between the musty, gilded pages of gigantic leatherbound dictionaries, who can't help getting their hackles up when they live through the usage/definition of a word changing. Technically, "reactionary" is a stupidly redundant word that only describes someone who is Right-wing, or yearning for the good ol' days of what they perceive as the status quo, or opposed to liberal ideas/politics/philosophies/etc.; simply describing someone as "conservative" makes much more sense and is FAR more relevant these days. The traditional definition would be like if the word "partisan" only applied to one side of the political spectrum; it's a dumb, archaic definition that is, again, completely redundant now.

Most people TODAY, however, use it in the sense of somebody being rash or angry or shortsighted in how they respond to something. I'm assuming the most recent thing here that sent him off was in the latest game thread when people were talking about Theo being reactionary, like whether or not he'd be flipping out/furious over the Cubs being swept by the Pirates at home.

Basically it's a super dumb rant that was just an excuse for him to try and sound like he's smarter than everyone else.


I agree with you but at the same time, I'll be damned if "humbled" is going to take on the opposite meaning of what it actually means, damnit. That's just anarchy.


Pouring one out for literally, as well
3 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 70416
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1132
x 1846
Contact:

Re: random rants

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Took some damn Nyquil at 9pm last night and I'm still drowsy at 3PM the next day. As great as it is to not be tossing and turning all night when I'm sick, what's the point if I'm more tired than I would have been if I didn't take the stuff?
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7658
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 2659
x 445

Re: random rants

Postby weis21 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:54 pm

you sure that was nyquil?
2 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 70416
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1132
x 1846
Contact:

Re: random rants

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 pm

weis21 wrote:you sure that was nyquil?


Yeah that horsefeathers always happens to me when I take NyQuil. For some reason it says in my system a super long time
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55648
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 4104
x 2460

Re: random rants

Postby David » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:09 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
weis21 wrote:you sure that was nyquil?


Yeah that horsefeathers always happens to me when I take NyQuil. For some reason it says in my system a super long time


You're probably using that cheap generic off brand Walgreen's stuff. You need the good stuff on the top shelf.
6 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 63611
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 271
x 897

Re: random rants

Postby Derwood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Isn't NyQuil basically a pass-out drug? You aren't really getting a good night's sleep, you're being knocked out
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 67338
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 4008
x 5098

Re: random rants

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Derwood wrote:Isn't NyQuil basically a pass-out drug? You aren't really getting a good night's sleep, you're being knocked out


Yeah, when I had to do some sleep studies in my heavier days they specifically don't want you taking any kind of medicine that makes you sleep because the results are so different than what your body does or tries to do naturally.
0 x

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 334
x 86

Re: random rants

Postby Proven Veteran » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 am

Castro's Spray Chart wrote:
David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:There's a certain breed of grammaitcos, who love to slam their dicks between the musty, gilded pages of gigantic leatherbound dictionaries, who can't help getting their hackles up when they live through the usage/definition of a word changing. Technically, "reactionary" is a stupidly redundant word that only describes someone who is Right-wing, or yearning for the good ol' days of what they perceive as the status quo, or opposed to liberal ideas/politics/philosophies/etc.; simply describing someone as "conservative" makes much more sense and is FAR more relevant these days. The traditional definition would be like if the word "partisan" only applied to one side of the political spectrum; it's a dumb, archaic definition that is, again, completely redundant now.

Most people TODAY, however, use it in the sense of somebody being rash or angry or shortsighted in how they respond to something. I'm assuming the most recent thing here that sent him off was in the latest game thread when people were talking about Theo being reactionary, like whether or not he'd be flipping out/furious over the Cubs being swept by the Pirates at home.

Basically it's a super dumb rant that was just an excuse for him to try and sound like he's smarter than everyone else.


I agree with you but at the same time, I'll be damned if "humbled" is going to take on the opposite meaning of what it actually means, damnit. That's just anarchy.


Literally pouring one out for literally, as well


Literally fixed.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 62712
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2219
x 2419

Re: random rants

Postby Banedon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 am

UMFan83 wrote:Took some damn Nyquil at 9pm last night and I'm still drowsy at 3PM the next day. As great as it is to not be tossing and turning all night when I'm sick, what's the point if I'm more tired than I would have been if I didn't take the stuff?


Skip to 8:52 if it doesn't do it automatically.

0 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 53200
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 207
x 2803

Re: random rants

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:14 pm

RIP
1 x

User avatar
Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2
Posts: 5345
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO
x 444
x 165

Re: random rants

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:28 am

Why do people do dumb things like schedule weddings in October? Don't they know that's when posteseason baseball occurs?

I've skipped out on 2 weddings I should have been at due to Cubs postseason games, but I just found out one that I absolutely cannot miss is going to be Oct. 21. If scheduling holds like previous years that would be the night of a potential game 6 in one LCS and game 7 in the other LCS.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30275
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 244

Re: random rants

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Sammy's Boombox wrote:Why do people do dumb things like schedule weddings in October? Don't they know that's when posteseason baseball occurs?

I've skipped out on 2 weddings I should have been at due to Cubs postseason games, but I just found out one that I absolutely cannot miss is going to be Oct. 21. If scheduling holds like previous years that would be the night of a potential game 6 in one LCS and game 7 in the other LCS.

At least weddings get out well before the game is over. I had to miss (by miss I mean follow along closely on my phone) the first several innings of game 1 of the NLCS last year because of a wedding.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

User avatar
Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2
Posts: 5345
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO
x 444
x 165

Re: random rants

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Andy wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:Why do people do dumb things like schedule weddings in October? Don't they know that's when posteseason baseball occurs?

I've skipped out on 2 weddings I should have been at due to Cubs postseason games, but I just found out one that I absolutely cannot miss is going to be Oct. 21. If scheduling holds like previous years that would be the night of a potential game 6 in one LCS and game 7 in the other LCS.

At least weddings get out well before the game is over. I had to miss (by miss I mean follow along closely on my phone) the first several innings of game 1 of the NLCS last year because of a wedding.


I'm one of those lucky people with season tickets. Southeast Missouri and a TV is not Wrigley Field.

Definitely a first world problem, and I don't actually expect people to plan weddings around potential baseball games they don't care about, but dang it's annoying.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

User avatar
mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7887
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 156
x 205
Contact:

Re: random rants

Postby mul21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Sammy's Boombox wrote:
Andy wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:Why do people do dumb things like schedule weddings in October? Don't they know that's when posteseason baseball occurs?

I've skipped out on 2 weddings I should have been at due to Cubs postseason games, but I just found out one that I absolutely cannot miss is going to be Oct. 21. If scheduling holds like previous years that would be the night of a potential game 6 in one LCS and game 7 in the other LCS.

At least weddings get out well before the game is over. I had to miss (by miss I mean follow along closely on my phone) the first several innings of game 1 of the NLCS last year because of a wedding.


I'm one of those lucky people with season tickets. Southeast Missouri and a TV is not Wrigley Field.

Definitely a first world problem, and I don't actually expect people to plan weddings around potential baseball games they don't care about, but dang it's annoying.


Dibs on your game 6/7 tickets!
0 x
I like beer.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 43025
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 51
x 1184
Contact:

Re: random rants

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Banedon wrote:
Careless wrote:I wonder if I'm the only one here who knows that "reactionary" doesn't mean what it's been used to mean just about ever on this site (maybe it has been in the history threads?). Keep towing those cows, you highly literate guys.


What is this even in reference to?

Image

It is the random rants thread.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 67338
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 4008
x 5098

Re: random rants

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Tim wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Careless wrote:I wonder if I'm the only one here who knows that "reactionary" doesn't mean what it's been used to mean just about ever on this site (maybe it has been in the history threads?). Keep towing those cows, you highly literate guys.


What is this even in reference to?

Image

It is the random rants thread.


That doesn't answer the question.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20869
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 76
x 167

Re: random rants

Postby CubinNY » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Careless wrote:I wonder if I'm the only one here who knows that "reactionary" doesn't mean what it's been used to mean just about ever on this site (maybe it has been in the history threads?). Keep towing those cows, you highly literate guys.

How reactionary of you.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2
Posts: 5345
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO
x 444
x 165

Re: random rants

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Wife said I could go to the *potential* game instead of the wedding!

Then, I was asked to actually be in the wedding...

Image
2 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 35798
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 647
x 871

Re: random rants

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 01, 2017 12:02 pm

It's "twenty-seventeen" not "two thousand-seventeen", people.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 62712
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2219
x 2419

Re: random rants

Postby Banedon » Mon May 01, 2017 12:31 pm

OleMissCub wrote:It's "twenty-seventeen" not "two thousand-seventeen", people.


Those are the exact same thing.
0 x
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 35798
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 647
x 871

Re: random rants

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Banedon wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:It's "twenty-seventeen" not "two thousand-seventeen", people.


Those are the exact same thing.


No. One makes you sound like a dolt when you say it. If someone asks you what year you were born, you don't say "nineteen hundred and eighty two"
0 x
Image


Return to “Rants”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest