random rants

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: random rants

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 pm

and right smack dab in the middle of autism awareness month
5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Careless wrote:I wonder if I'm the only one here who knows that "reactionary" doesn't mean what it's been used to mean just about ever on this site (maybe it has been in the history threads?). Keep towing those cows, you highly literate guys.

1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:There's a certain breed of grammaitcos, who love to slam their dicks between the musty, gilded pages of gigantic leatherbound dictionaries, who can't help getting their hackles up when they live through the usage/definition of a word changing. Technically, "reactionary" is a stupidly redundant word that only describes someone who is Right-wing, or yearning for the good ol' days of what they perceive as the status quo, or opposed to liberal ideas/politics/philosophies/etc.; simply describing someone as "conservative" makes much more sense and is FAR more relevant these days. The traditional definition would be like if the word "partisan" only applied to one side of the political spectrum; it's a dumb, archaic definition that is, again, completely redundant now.

Most people TODAY, however, use it in the sense of somebody being rash or angry or shortsighted in how they respond to something. I'm assuming the most recent thing here that sent him off was in the latest game thread when people were talking about Theo being reactionary, like whether or not he'd be flipping out/furious over the Cubs being swept by the Pirates at home.

Basically it's a super dumb rant that was just an excuse for him to try and sound like he's smarter than everyone else.

I agree with you but at the same time, I'll be damned if "humbled" is going to take on the opposite meaning of what it actually means, damnit. That's just anarchy.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 pm

David wrote:I agree with you but at the same time, I'll be damned if "humbled" is going to take on the opposite meaning of what it actually means, damnit. That's just anarchy.

1 x

Castro's Spray Chart
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby Castro's Spray Chart » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:17 pm

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:There's a certain breed of grammaitcos, who love to slam their dicks between the musty, gilded pages of gigantic leatherbound dictionaries, who can't help getting their hackles up when they live through the usage/definition of a word changing. Technically, "reactionary" is a stupidly redundant word that only describes someone who is Right-wing, or yearning for the good ol' days of what they perceive as the status quo, or opposed to liberal ideas/politics/philosophies/etc.; simply describing someone as "conservative" makes much more sense and is FAR more relevant these days. The traditional definition would be like if the word "partisan" only applied to one side of the political spectrum; it's a dumb, archaic definition that is, again, completely redundant now.

Most people TODAY, however, use it in the sense of somebody being rash or angry or shortsighted in how they respond to something. I'm assuming the most recent thing here that sent him off was in the latest game thread when people were talking about Theo being reactionary, like whether or not he'd be flipping out/furious over the Cubs being swept by the Pirates at home.

Basically it's a super dumb rant that was just an excuse for him to try and sound like he's smarter than everyone else.

I agree with you but at the same time, I'll be damned if "humbled" is going to take on the opposite meaning of what it actually means, damnit. That's just anarchy.

Pouring one out for literally, as well
3 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Took some damn Nyquil at 9pm last night and I'm still drowsy at 3PM the next day. As great as it is to not be tossing and turning all night when I'm sick, what's the point if I'm more tired than I would have been if I didn't take the stuff?
0 x
Win it for Fred

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:54 pm

you sure that was nyquil?
2 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 pm

weis21 wrote:you sure that was nyquil?

Yeah that horsefeathers always happens to me when I take NyQuil. For some reason it says in my system a super long time
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:09 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
weis21 wrote:you sure that was nyquil?

Yeah that horsefeathers always happens to me when I take NyQuil. For some reason it says in my system a super long time

You're probably using that cheap generic off brand Walgreen's stuff. You need the good stuff on the top shelf.
6 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Isn't NyQuil basically a pass-out drug? You aren't really getting a good night's sleep, you're being knocked out
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Derwood wrote:Isn't NyQuil basically a pass-out drug? You aren't really getting a good night's sleep, you're being knocked out

Yeah, when I had to do some sleep studies in my heavier days they specifically don't want you taking any kind of medicine that makes you sleep because the results are so different than what your body does or tries to do naturally.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 am

Castro's Spray Chart wrote:
David wrote:

Literally pouring one out for literally, as well

Literally fixed.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 am

UMFan83 wrote:Took some damn Nyquil at 9pm last night and I'm still drowsy at 3PM the next day. As great as it is to not be tossing and turning all night when I'm sick, what's the point if I'm more tired than I would have been if I didn't take the stuff?

Skip to 8:52 if it doesn't do it automatically.

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:14 pm

RIP
1 x

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:28 am

Why do people do dumb things like schedule weddings in October? Don't they know that's when posteseason baseball occurs?

I've skipped out on 2 weddings I should have been at due to Cubs postseason games, but I just found out one that I absolutely cannot miss is going to be Oct. 21. If scheduling holds like previous years that would be the night of a potential game 6 in one LCS and game 7 in the other LCS.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Sammy's Boombox wrote:Why do people do dumb things like schedule weddings in October? Don't they know that's when posteseason baseball occurs?

I've skipped out on 2 weddings I should have been at due to Cubs postseason games, but I just found out one that I absolutely cannot miss is going to be Oct. 21. If scheduling holds like previous years that would be the night of a potential game 6 in one LCS and game 7 in the other LCS.

At least weddings get out well before the game is over. I had to miss (by miss I mean follow along closely on my phone) the first several innings of game 1 of the NLCS last year because of a wedding.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Andy wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:Why do people do dumb things like schedule weddings in October? Don't they know that's when posteseason baseball occurs?

At least weddings get out well before the game is over. I had to miss (by miss I mean follow along closely on my phone) the first several innings of game 1 of the NLCS last year because of a wedding.

I'm one of those lucky people with season tickets. Southeast Missouri and a TV is not Wrigley Field.

Definitely a first world problem, and I don't actually expect people to plan weddings around potential baseball games they don't care about, but dang it's annoying.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Sammy's Boombox wrote:
Andy wrote:

I'm one of those lucky people with season tickets. Southeast Missouri and a TV is not Wrigley Field.

Definitely a first world problem, and I don't actually expect people to plan weddings around potential baseball games they don't care about, but dang it's annoying.

Dibs on your game 6/7 tickets!
0 x
I like beer.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Banedon wrote:
Careless wrote:I wonder if I'm the only one here who knows that "reactionary" doesn't mean what it's been used to mean just about ever on this site (maybe it has been in the history threads?). Keep towing those cows, you highly literate guys.

What is this even in reference to?

It is the random rants thread.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Tim wrote:
Banedon wrote:

What is this even in reference to?

It is the random rants thread.

That doesn't answer the question.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 pm

How reactionary of you.
0 x

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Wife said I could go to the *potential* game instead of the wedding!

Then, I was asked to actually be in the wedding...

2 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 01, 2017 12:02 pm

It's "twenty-seventeen" not "two thousand-seventeen", people.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 01, 2017 12:31 pm

OleMissCub wrote:It's "twenty-seventeen" not "two thousand-seventeen", people.

Those are the exact same thing.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Banedon wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:It's "twenty-seventeen" not "two thousand-seventeen", people.

Those are the exact same thing.

No. One makes you sound like a dolt when you say it. If someone asks you what year you were born, you don't say "nineteen hundred and eighty two"
0 x

Return to “Rants”