random rants

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: random rants

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Your softball concession stands have a drive-thru window? Da horsefeathers?

No
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Your softball concession stands have a drive-thru window? Da horsefeathers?

No

Then don't use the concession stand cash at the drive-thru, you goon.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm going to look like extra stupid in this rant so acknowledging this upfront but whatever, flame away.

Fvck Metra. My office just moved from Oakbrook to the Loop so this is my first week taking the train. I take the 7:31 train. It's 7:29 and I am literally 3 steps from the train tracks when the lights start going off (the bar didnt even go down yet). Maybe I'm just dumb but my reaction in that situation, knowing there is 40 minutes before another train comes, is to jog across the tracks, obviously while ensuring that I see the train at all times and know that I am no where close to getting hit by it. So I did that, the train was barely visable in the distance so I knew I had plenty of time.

The problem was the tracks were under construction and there was a group of about 10 construction workers yelling at me to get off the tracks and that i wont be allowed to board the train. I confusingly brushed them aside, finished crossing and boarded the train. The train started moving and then abruptly stopped. A conductor and construction worker boarded, found me and threw me off. I tried to plead ignorance (literally used metra like 5 times ever before this week) saying I didn't know the trains came early, why do you have to horsefeathering throw me off etc but i got tossed regardless after causing a minor scene.

I know technically I look like an idiot and not in the best position to rant but dammit i was almost an hour late to work because the metra came 2 minutes early. I don't know why they can't give me a stern warning, and besides what is the point of throwing me off only to board the next train?

Lesson learned but horsefeathers those guys.
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:18 pm

one of my greatest fears is making a dumb rookie mistake when partaking in a new commute path
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:20 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:one of my greatest fears is making a dumb rookie mistake when partaking in a new commute path

the other thing i learned today that made me feel even more stupid is that about 1000 feet away from where i crossed is a tunnel that goes under the tracks that i probably could have ran to and still made the train.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:16 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I'm going to look like extra stupid in this rant so acknowledging this upfront but whatever, flame away.

Fvck Metra. My office just moved from Oakbrook to the Loop so this is my first week taking the train. I take the 7:31 train. It's 7:29 and I am literally 3 steps from the train tracks when the lights start going off (the bar didnt even go down yet). Maybe I'm just dumb but my reaction in that situation, knowing there is 40 minutes before another train comes, is to jog across the tracks, obviously while ensuring that I see the train at all times and know that I am no where close to getting hit by it. So I did that, the train was barely visable in the distance so I knew I had plenty of time.

The problem was the tracks were under construction and there was a group of about 10 construction workers yelling at me to get off the tracks and that i wont be allowed to board the train. I confusingly brushed them aside, finished crossing and boarded the train. The train started moving and then abruptly stopped. A conductor and construction worker boarded, found me and threw me off. I tried to plead ignorance (literally used metra like 5 times ever before this week) saying I didn't know the trains came early, why do you have to horsefeathering throw me off etc but i got tossed regardless after causing a minor scene.

I know technically I look like an idiot and not in the best position to rant but dammit i was almost an hour late to work because the metra came 2 minutes early. I don't know why they can't give me a stern warning, and besides what is the point of throwing me off only to board the next train?

Lesson learned but horsefeathers those guys.

Fvck the BNSF in particular.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:23 am

weis21 wrote:people that have never hearted a post on NSB but post all the time

I'm sorry, you can be my first.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:38 am

Tryptamine wrote:

6 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Tryptamine wrote:

6 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:29 pm

New Jersey needs to join he 21st century and get rid of this full service only gas station nonsense. Is there some gas pumper union that is strong arming the State or something?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Derwood wrote:New Jersey needs to join he 21st century and get rid of this full service only gas station nonsense. Is there some gas pumper union that is strong arming the State or something?

Or the other 49 states needs to get with NJ.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:43 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:New Jersey needs to join he 21st century and get rid of this full service only gas station nonsense. Is there some gas pumper union that is strong arming the State or something?

Or the other 49 states needs to get with NJ.

No. It took much longer to wait for the one dude filling eight cars than it would have to just done it myself
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:56 pm

I wonder how much stronger the gas pumper union is in NJ as compared to say the pro-landlord union's/policies of Indiana
2 x
Screw Pitchers

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:39 pm

I don’t think NJ is alone. isn't Oregon also?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I don’t think NJ is alone. isn't Oregon also?

Yes. I almost ran out of gas once trying to make it all the way across Oregon without stopping for gas in the state.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:59 pm

when i was an undergrad (ECU has a ton of NJ girls that come here and I've asked time and time again and the answer is the same - they have relatives/friends that went here or it's just cheaper than any NJ college option)...anyway when i was an undergrad i impressed the hell out of a few NJ girls with my ability to pump gas. it was such a foreign concept to them and i never could/can wrap my mind around it. it was like i was doing something heroic but i literally was only grasping a gas hose. i never knew there were still places in america that were full service until i was a student at ECU.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:05 pm

weis21 wrote:

when i was an undergrad (ECU has a ton of NJ girls that come here and I've asked time and time again and the answer is the same - they have relatives/friends that went here or it's just cheaper than any NJ college option)...anyway when i was an undergrad i impressed the hell out of a few NJ girls with my ability to pump gas. it was such a foreign concept to them and i never could/can wrap my mind around it. it was like i was doing something heroic but i literally was only grasping a gas hose. i never knew there were still places in america that were full service until i was a student at ECU.

Driving fron NJ to PA for a wedding my hard ass union member father in law once made a big show of pulling over for gas and asked if the college boy(me) had any idea what to do and I simply filled up the car and pointed out how I'd never had anybody pump gas for me in Illinois.

He was pissed. Big trump fan too.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:55 pm

From Chicago - I was on a business trip in Edision, NJ and had a rental car. Went to fill gas, and the attendant got irritated that I was filling up my own gas.

asked him "is there a problem?" when he came and gave me the stink-eye, then bragged about how hes been pumping gas there for 11 years
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:57 am

Omar wrote:From Chicago - I was on a business trip in Edision, NJ and had a rental car. Went to fill gas, and the attendant got irritated that I was filling up my own gas.

asked him "is there a problem?" when he came and gave me the stink-eye, then bragged about how hes been pumping gas there for 11 years

Oh man, I didn't realize Oregon was the same way when I went there on vacation. I got chastised by some attendant in Portland who said I could get fined because I decided to pump my own gas. He was acting like I was going to blow us all up by pumping my own gas.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm

Omar wrote:From Chicago - I was on a business trip in Edision, NJ and had a rental car. Went to fill gas, and the attendant got irritated that I was filling up my own gas.

When "keeping it real" goes wrong.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 pm

I do some off sight contractual work for a large health insurance company and I have to go through their periodic corporate training. I don't know what it's like with other large companies, but this one is bad. Today I had to sign a release agreeing to give them blanket approval to search me and my belonging including my car anytime I'm on company property. I'm never on company property so the policy doesn't pertain to me, but if it did I would stop doing the work for them. Workers rights are getting ridiculous.
1 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm

CubinNY wrote:I do some off sight contractual work for a large health insurance company and I have to go through their periodic corporate training. I don't know what it's like with other large companies, but this one is bad. Today I had to sign a release agreeing to give them blanket approval to search me and my belonging including my car anytime I'm on company property. I'm never on company property so the policy doesn't pertain to me, but if it did I would stop doing the work for them. Workers rights are getting ridiculous.

I have to do the same thing. There's nothing about searching my car or anything, but it's always a hassle and I have to do it every year.

A few years ago I hadn't been on-site all year until like June, and they were flabbergasted that it had been 18 months since I had completed it -- which was because it has to be done in-person and I hadn't been there in-person.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I do some off sight contractual work for a large health insurance company and I have to go through their periodic corporate training. I don't know what it's like with other large companies, but this one is bad. Today I had to sign a release agreeing to give them blanket approval to search me and my belonging including my car anytime I'm on company property. I'm never on company property so the policy doesn't pertain to me, but if it did I would stop doing the work for them. Workers rights are getting ridiculous.

I have to do the same thing. There's nothing about searching my car or anything, but it's always a hassle and I have to do it every year.

A few years ago I hadn't been on-site all year until like June, and they were flabbergasted that it had been 18 months since I had completed it -- which was because it has to be done in-person and I hadn't been there in-person.

I forgot the best part, they call the policy "Housekeeping and workplace Hygiene."
1 x

Return to “Rants”