random rants

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12420
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 45
x 152

Re: random rants

Postby stitchface » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
stitchface wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
its all the way up here. thanks a lot Oregon and California


don't forget washington.


where I'm at the smoke isn't from WA State. but yea, absolutely us too


Where are you? We had a green morning today! So nice to have the windows open!
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19138
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2617
x 1040

Re: random rants

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 pm

stitchface wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
stitchface wrote:
don't forget washington.


where I'm at the smoke isn't from WA State. but yea, absolutely us too


Where are you? We had a green morning today! So nice to have the windows open!


somewhere in the red circle, I also marked the general area of the closest WA state fires and wind direction, showing how the winds are pulling in smoke from the Pacific (CA and OR fires) over me and blowing the WA smoke to the Northeast away from me:

https://ibb.co/r38zqBs

but yea, its started drizzling a bit the last few days so the air quality is improving here too
0 x
Image

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12420
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 45
x 152

Re: random rants

Postby stitchface » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
stitchface wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
where I'm at the smoke isn't from WA State. but yea, absolutely us too


Where are you? We had a green morning today! So nice to have the windows open!


somewhere in the red circle, I also marked the general area of the closest WA state fires and wind direction, showing how the winds are pulling in smoke from the Pacific (CA and OR fires) over me and blowing the WA smoke to the Northeast away from me:

https://ibb.co/r38zqBs

but yea, its started drizzling a bit the last few days so the air quality is improving here too



hope it all clears out for you as it really sucks. We are possibly a couple months from meaningful rain.
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19138
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2617
x 1040

Re: random rants

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 am

you as well
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19138
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2617
x 1040

Re: random rants

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:59 am

2 days of rain, air quality index has dropped from mid 200's to 5 or so. Send all the smoke you want, as long as we can keep being a temperate rain forest, well keep scrubbing that horsefeathers

Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6219
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6231
x 2676

Re: random rants

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:22 am

Is that Mercer Island?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19138
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2617
x 1040

random rants

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Hell no, I'm not in 7 digits. it's Puget Sound not Lake Washington
0 x
Image

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6219
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6231
x 2676

Re: random rants

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 am

Ok, so I subjected you all to a play by play of my alley security camera, so I thought I'd make up for it with a true-life story that has it all: high-tech hucksters, disgraced international bankers, IP theft, lawsuits, and Russian oligarchs...and then a special mystery guest at the end. Some of you might notice a lot of parallels between the start of this tale an a certain HBO tech-centered comedy. I'm not entirely certain how many of them are intentional.

To start the story, we'll begin with a company called "Terrallience Technologies." It was the brainchild of an electrical engineer, Erlend Olson, who decided that he could completely replace all of geophysics within the Oil and Gas industry with a big computer and goofy ideas, which included, for reasons I can not begin to fathom, purchasing decomishioned Russian MIGs. Erlend was horrible at finding oil, but he was exceptionally good at duping investors and then spending the money as fast as he raised it.
He also was...well...https://archive.fortune.com/2010/03/26/news/companies/terralliance_tech_full.fortune/index.htm
A hulking figure with a glassy-eyed intensity, Olson had assured his investors that an infusion of this magnitude could lead quickly to a public offering worth as much as $60 billion. That would make Olson, as he wistfully recalled later, a "three-comma guy."

You get the idea. Terrallience is a tale all to itself. But, it went bankrupt when oil cratered in the great recession. Years later, after the MIG was sold off, a new and different con man decided to purcahse what was left of the renamed company that emerged after bankruptcy. Enter Jonathan Faiman. https://www.ft.com/content/1b8b7fe6-525e-11e6-9664-e0bdc13c3bef
As one of the founders of Ocado, the UK online grocery retailer and, before that, head of emerging market bond trading at Goldman Sachs, Mr Faiman, 47, makes an unlikely oilman. But the leap from online retailing to oil exploration is not as great as it might seem. Neos does not — yet — produce oil, but collects and analyses geological data for resource-holding countries and companies, to help them decide where they should drill and what they can expect to find when they do.
Spoiler alert: NEOS never produced oil.

In 2015, I had been working for a geophysical company that was largely legit. Its only executive indiscretions were that multiple officers were stealing each other's wives and then leaving to work for rival companies, but everyday operations were largely tame. When oil started tanking, the company decided to close down my office and layoff everyone working there. Then, being business geniuses (and because some local office managers pooled together and offered to buy some of the IP associated with the office) they realized "oh, yeah, without corporate overhead, these guys actually had value. Maybe we should try and sell them?" So Faiman and NEOS up there bought my office in the hopes of making the rest of his company look a little more legitimate and maybe synergy and whatever bs. My boss got to meet Faiman after the purchase. He even invited her onto his yacht, and once there he laid out his plans to disrupt and dominate the oil industry. She told me he seemed a bit shady and maybe semi-delusional, but hey, we were just happy to have the office still exist.

It only took a year before things started to get weird. Paychecks were sometimes a few days late. Once they were actually 2 entire weeks late. The CFO explained something about Yemeni bonds and made promises of checks being in the mail. Eventually, the money did show up. As this was going on, I got pulled into this project that involved a very, very, very deep oil resevoir in Kazahkstan. The resevoir was deeper than the seismic data I had to work with was really designed to image, and all of the hand-waiving involved from the legacy Terrallience portion of the company seemed...iffy to me. But we mysteriously had the support of a company called Rosnoft, who was really keen to produce this new oil field for the Kazahks, and some fertilizer company I'd never heard of named "EuroChem" who wanted the natural gas byproducts. But then another paycheck came and went with no money. Well, the next one was promised to be a double paycheck. That date also came and went. The CEO called a meeting. He basically told us that we need to view the company as a "start-up" and that money might be hard to come by. "Anyone that isn't onboard with that...well, there's the door!" 6 weeks after the first missed payment, we started getting some money. I also started interviewing for different jobs. A few months later I got laid off along with over half of the office. My boss resigned at the same time. A few of my friends still remained, and had a doozy of a story to tell about the holiday party. About 30 minutes into the gathering, the highest-ranking remaining employee announced that all spouses and significant others had to leave and all the wine bottles were corked. They then laid off half of the party attendees right then and there.

I hadn't given much thought to NEOS over the past 3 years, at least, until the Hunter Biden/Rosneft story broke, and I thought to myself "huh, weird." But then I decided to see what Faiman was up to.
https://www.chargedretail.co.uk/2019/09/23/ocado-sues-its-own-co-founder-in-bitter-legal-dispute-worth-hundreds-of-millions/

Huh, well that sounds bad. I decided to see how that lawsuit was going today, and ran into this:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pungent-delivery-for-ocado-founder-5p3wt9chg

Hmm. I wonder if he still has that yacht.
Yacht for sale!

That's a shame. But then I just do a google search for "Faiman Akula" (the name of the yacht) and I come across this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Epstein/comments/eou8se/martha_stewart_kira_faiman_and_ghislaine_maxwell/

Sure enough, that's his wife. Some more googling reveals why that link showed up in the first google search at all:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/weekend-australian-magazine/family-values-how-ghislaine-maxwell-fell-under-jeffrey-epsteins-spell/news-story/0283b9a69e6c26bfaa606bf88bd6630b
The last time I saw Ghislaine was on holiday in 2012. I heard her shouting my name from across the street. “What are you doing tonight?” she asked. “Come to dinner on Akula.” The 60m superyacht she was staying on belonged to ­Jonathan Faiman, co-founder of the online supermarket Ocado, and his wife Kira (a couple about whom no suggestion of wrongdoing is made). There was a mildly uncomfortable atmosphere all evening: she had invited her friends, but the hosts knew none of us. It was typical Ghislaine.


TL:DR - I worked for a banking conman who may or may not be laundering for/bilking Russian oligarchs, and seems to have been involved with the Epstein stuff.
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19138
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2617
x 1040

Re: random rants

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:18 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Ok, s..........in stuff.


I have no idea what the hell you are talking about so I'll just assume this applies:


Image
0 x
Image

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33368
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3094
x 7334
Contact:

Re: random rants

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:28 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Ok, so I subjected you all to a play by play of my alley security camera, so I thought I'd make up for it with a true-life story that has it all: high-tech hucksters, disgraced international bankers, IP theft, lawsuits, and Russian oligarchs...and then a special mystery guest at the end. Some of you might notice a lot of parallels between the start of this tale an a certain HBO tech-centered comedy. I'm not entirely certain how many of them are intentional.

To start the story, we'll begin with a company called "Terrallience Technologies." It was the brainchild of an electrical engineer, Erlend Olson, who decided that he could completely replace all of geophysics within the Oil and Gas industry with a big computer and goofy ideas, which included, for reasons I can not begin to fathom, purchasing decomishioned Russian MIGs. Erlend was horrible at finding oil, but he was exceptionally good at duping investors and then spending the money as fast as he raised it.
He also was...well...https://archive.fortune.com/2010/03/26/news/companies/terralliance_tech_full.fortune/index.htm
A hulking figure with a glassy-eyed intensity, Olson had assured his investors that an infusion of this magnitude could lead quickly to a public offering worth as much as $60 billion. That would make Olson, as he wistfully recalled later, a "three-comma guy."

You get the idea. Terrallience is a tale all to itself. But, it went bankrupt when oil cratered in the great recession. Years later, after the MIG was sold off, a new and different con man decided to purcahse what was left of the renamed company that emerged after bankruptcy. Enter Jonathan Faiman. https://www.ft.com/content/1b8b7fe6-525e-11e6-9664-e0bdc13c3bef
As one of the founders of Ocado, the UK online grocery retailer and, before that, head of emerging market bond trading at Goldman Sachs, Mr Faiman, 47, makes an unlikely oilman. But the leap from online retailing to oil exploration is not as great as it might seem. Neos does not — yet — produce oil, but collects and analyses geological data for resource-holding countries and companies, to help them decide where they should drill and what they can expect to find when they do.
Spoiler alert: NEOS never produced oil.

In 2015, I had been working for a geophysical company that was largely legit. Its only executive indiscretions were that multiple officers were stealing each other's wives and then leaving to work for rival companies, but everyday operations were largely tame. When oil started tanking, the company decided to close down my office and layoff everyone working there. Then, being business geniuses (and because some local office managers pooled together and offered to buy some of the IP associated with the office) they realized "oh, yeah, without corporate overhead, these guys actually had value. Maybe we should try and sell them?" So Faiman and NEOS up there bought my office in the hopes of making the rest of his company look a little more legitimate and maybe synergy and whatever bs. My boss got to meet Faiman after the purchase. He even invited her onto his yacht, and once there he laid out his plans to disrupt and dominate the oil industry. She told me he seemed a bit shady and maybe semi-delusional, but hey, we were just happy to have the office still exist.

It only took a year before things started to get weird. Paychecks were sometimes a few days late. Once they were actually 2 entire weeks late. The CFO explained something about Yemeni bonds and made promises of checks being in the mail. Eventually, the money did show up. As this was going on, I got pulled into this project that involved a very, very, very deep oil resevoir in Kazahkstan. The resevoir was deeper than the seismic data I had to work with was really designed to image, and all of the hand-waiving involved from the legacy Terrallience portion of the company seemed...iffy to me. But we mysteriously had the support of a company called Rosnoft, who was really keen to produce this new oil field for the Kazahks, and some fertilizer company I'd never heard of named "EuroChem" who wanted the natural gas byproducts. But then another paycheck came and went with no money. Well, the next one was promised to be a double paycheck. That date also came and went. The CEO called a meeting. He basically told us that we need to view the company as a "start-up" and that money might be hard to come by. "Anyone that isn't onboard with that...well, there's the door!" 6 weeks after the first missed payment, we started getting some money. I also started interviewing for different jobs. A few months later I got laid off along with over half of the office. My boss resigned at the same time. A few of my friends still remained, and had a doozy of a story to tell about the holiday party. About 30 minutes into the gathering, the highest-ranking remaining employee announced that all spouses and significant others had to leave and all the wine bottles were corked. They then laid off half of the party attendees right then and there.

I hadn't given much thought to NEOS over the past 3 years, at least, until the Hunter Biden/Rosneft story broke, and I thought to myself "huh, weird." But then I decided to see what Faiman was up to.
https://www.chargedretail.co.uk/2019/09/23/ocado-sues-its-own-co-founder-in-bitter-legal-dispute-worth-hundreds-of-millions/

Huh, well that sounds bad. I decided to see how that lawsuit was going today, and ran into this:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pungent-delivery-for-ocado-founder-5p3wt9chg

Hmm. I wonder if he still has that yacht.
Yacht for sale!

That's a shame. But then I just do a google search for "Faiman Akula" (the name of the yacht) and I come across this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Epstein/comments/eou8se/martha_stewart_kira_faiman_and_ghislaine_maxwell/

Sure enough, that's his wife. Some more googling reveals why that link showed up in the first google search at all:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/weekend-australian-magazine/family-values-how-ghislaine-maxwell-fell-under-jeffrey-epsteins-spell/news-story/0283b9a69e6c26bfaa606bf88bd6630b
The last time I saw Ghislaine was on holiday in 2012. I heard her shouting my name from across the street. “What are you doing tonight?” she asked. “Come to dinner on Akula.” The 60m superyacht she was staying on belonged to ­Jonathan Faiman, co-founder of the online supermarket Ocado, and his wife Kira (a couple about whom no suggestion of wrongdoing is made). There was a mildly uncomfortable atmosphere all evening: she had invited her friends, but the hosts knew none of us. It was typical Ghislaine.


TL:DR - I worked for a banking conman who may or may not be laundering for/bilking Russian oligarchs, and seems to have been involved with the Epstein stuff.



seek help
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6219
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6231
x 2676

Re: random rants

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:57 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
seek help

Image
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24170
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 944
x 2401

Re: random rants

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:29 am

anybody have TMJ? it's such fun
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35487
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1035
x 7276

Re: random rants

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:35 am

17 Seconds wrote:anybody have TMJ? it's such fun

Sure did. Luckily I’ve been good for months after a few rough weeks.
0 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23686
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 433
x 897

Re: random rants

Postby CubinNY » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:12 pm

I think we can all agree this has been a pretty bad year. Arguably one of the worst years in the last 50, at least. Personally, it's been really rough. Yesterday a woman I met a few times at conferences died in a house fire when she went back into rescue her non-verbal 15 year old son with Autism.

She was truly one of those people you meet once and never forget. She was a tireless advocate for families of children with special needs, a gifted speaker, persistently pleasant and pleasantly persistent when it came to changing minds and eventually law, first in her native California and then all across the country state by state. She was an inspiration to me and I am devastated. I was not close to her, but I cannot stop crying thinking about what a tremendous loss this is for the world. She was not famous, but she was a hero to thousands of people. Her name was Feda Almaliti and her son's name was Muhammad. I don't know why I'm telling this to a bunch of strangers, but I guess I wanted you to know.

In May she did an interview with NPR. You can listen to here if you wish.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... e-pandemic
9 x

Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 am
x 241
x 179

Re: random rants

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:07 am

My upstairs neighbor flooded their apartment somehow and this is now my ceiling...

Image
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14438
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2642
x 1633

Re: random rants

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:11 am

Forgotmyoldlogin wrote:My upstairs neighbor flooded their apartment somehow and this is now my ceiling...

Image

Yea that looks like what would happen.

Sorry man, that sucks. Hope your landlord doesn't suck.
1 x
Image

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35487
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1035
x 7276

Re: random rants

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:21 am

That may need to be patched.
2 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19138
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2617
x 1040

Re: random rants

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:09 pm

CubinNY wrote:I think we can all agree this has been a pretty bad year. Arguably one of the worst years in the last 50, at least. Personally, it's been really rough. Yesterday a woman I met a few times at conferences died in a house fire when she went back into rescue her non-verbal 15 year old son with Autism.

She was truly one of those people you meet once and never forget. She was a tireless advocate for families of children with special needs, a gifted speaker, persistently pleasant and pleasantly persistent when it came to changing minds and eventually law, first in her native California and then all across the country state by state. She was an inspiration to me and I am devastated. I was not close to her, but I cannot stop crying thinking about what a tremendous loss this is for the world. She was not famous, but she was a hero to thousands of people. Her name was Feda Almaliti and her son's name was Muhammad. I don't know why I'm telling this to a bunch of strangers, but I guess I wanted you to know.

In May she did an interview with NPR. You can listen to here if you wish.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... e-pandemic

I heard that interview. Pretty awesome you got to know her
0 x
Image


Return to “Rants”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest