Covid rants

Rob
Superstar

Re: Covid rants

Postby Rob » Wed May 27, 2020 9:26 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Six month old here, but he's taking oxygen at night, pre-cautionary, because his windpipe is growing in a little tight. All the growth and everything has been fine, kid's a champ, but reading about all the ventilator shortages and people not catching their breath for two weeks freaked us the horsefeathers out. Dealing with that, and how to deal with our families around all this, has honestly been the most frustrating part. Feeling like you're asking them some huge favor to take a little more precaution than normal (even though the parents are all over 60), and then on the flip side feeling like the world's biggest horsefeathers telling your parents they can't hold their first grandkid. All the while me and my wife both working from home with him already crawling into every sharp corner he can find, knowing my mom has offered multiple times to come watch him. Fun horsefeathering times man.

Setting aside the science and the levels of precaution and all that, I think Judas touched on the more important point, which has been tough for me too with it being the first kid. It's your kid, you set the rules, and everyone should respect them regardless of how overcautious they might seem to someone.

Yeah, this is our second. We've got a two year old as well. She used to go to my parents twice a week, and my in-laws once a week. So they all got lots of time with her. It's been heartbreaking when she wants to go see them and we have to tell her she can't. And there's no good way to explain it to her right now in a way that wont just scare her.

And of course, the grandparents all want to see her as well. At one point they were all trying to convince us we should let them watch the older girl even if they can't see the younger. That makes no sense, of course. If the two year old gets sick, you better believe everybody in the house will get sick.

I handled setting the boundaries with my family well. I simply told them that my daughters' safety is my only priority as a parent. And while I'd love for them to be happy too, if I can't manage that in a way that doesn't interfere with their safety then it's just not a priority.

They weren't necessarily happy. My dad had already booked an appointment with his barber. But he cancelled it and bought one of those silly informercial devices to cut your own hair with a vacuum. He'll look stupid for a couple months, but he gets to see his granddaughter. That's what was important to him.

But my in-laws... their priority has always been themselves. And if my wife (and by extension my daughters and I) aren't catering to their every whim then we aren't being reasonable in their eyes. My wife has always insisted on being the one to communicate boundaries to them -- and the timid way in which she does it seems to be why they just ignore her. And when they do so it's suddenly too uncomfortable for her to handle with grace, so we capitulate as often as not.

It's getting to the point that I'm going to have to start taking point on this stuff if she can't begin to assert herself. They already don't like me, so I don't really care.

Scary stuff dealing with respiratory distress during this. My daughter had a nasty cough from November - March that required albuterol before bedtime (something about cold weather and dry air, I guess). But I can't imagine needing to be on oxygen during this. I'm sorry you're going through that.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed May 27, 2020 11:31 pm

I can only assume your wife’s parents also insisted on controlling the guest list to your wedding as well. I’m lucky to not have those parents/in-laws, but my sister went through hell with that. Her in-laws also always insisted on her driving the kids to THEM, but they rarely drove to my sister’s house.
1 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Those of you that are parents, what are your thoughts on online schooling so far and the prospects of starting next fall online? In particular, if you have a special needs child or children, how well are they doing with all of this?
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:27 pm

biittner77 wrote:Those of you that are parents, what are your thoughts on online schooling so far and the prospects of starting next fall online? In particular, if you have a special needs child or children, how well are they doing with all of this?

I have a 3 year old (will be 4 in August) in special ed. He's actually doing way better than I could possibly have hoped. That said, he needs the social interaction at school. There needs to be in person school for him this fall, online isn't going to do him much good.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:37 pm

My stepdaughter, who was extremely vigilant earlier in the pandemic, is apparently finally caving in to all the pressure of her peers at college. Last night on the phone she gave the "if I get it I get it" line and she's been bar hopping.

On one hand I understand because she's seeing friends testing positive and every one of them has had either very mild symptoms, or had a week of the worst flu imaginable but ultimately recovered. But on the other hand, come on, you know the holidays are coming and those of us at a more advanced age want to see you. And we are now in a difficult position of being fearful of her carrying it home. So what the heck are we supposed to do? Tell her to quarantine? She's a senior, that's likely going to just push her away. Last night this caused some real tension between me and my wife. It just really sucks.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:31 pm

I got covid a couple of weeks ago. I got lucky in that I had mostly head cold symptoms for 3 to 4 days with some chills. I did lose my sense of taste and smell, which is more annoying than it sounds. So overall I feel I got lucky.

Today is my first day back at work and Oh frcking my it feel like there is a 75 lb sack of poo on my back. I have several hours to go and I really think I am just going to go home early. At the least just sit at my desk for a couple of hours
1 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:56 pm

NewUserName wrote:I got covid a couple of weeks ago. I got lucky in that I had mostly head cold symptoms for 3 to 4 days with some chills. I did lose my sense of taste and smell, which is more annoying than it sounds. So overall I feel I got lucky.

Today is my first day back at work and Oh frcking my it feel like there is a 75 lb sack of poo on my back. I have several hours to go and I really think I am just going to go home early. At the least just sit at my desk for a couple of hours

Losing smell and taste sounds awful and weird and I have to imagination it’s even worse than I think.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:55 pm

I'm so beyond sick and tired of people referencing the mortality rate of covid going down to minimalize the severity of it as if dying is the only negative outcome. My Dad got it on July 15th, and though he was never hospitalized, he was pretty much entirely incapable of doing anything other than sleeping and eating small amounts for a bit over a week. A month later even riding a lawnmower for an hour completely drained him. Fast forward to today and he still has significant side effects including extreme fatigue, joint pains, mental cloudiness, etc that impact his daily life. As a result, he's likely going to be fired because he has to miss a day or two every couple weeks to recover or go to doctor appointments and his workplace has decided that they will not be adhering to the doctor's recommendation.

I also pretty much despise every person who refers to it as just a flu, but that's a separate rant.
6 x

Return to “Rants”