random rants

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35957
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1110
x 7942

Re: random rants

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:44 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I'm horsefeathering worn out.

Our company is going through some major changes, and 40% of my team has decided now would be a great time to be out. One nearly died (intubated in the ICU for nearly 2 weeks, internal bleeding, etc.), and there's no timetable on his return. Another had some personal family issues pop up. The 3 that I have working are all fairly new to the role. So here I am, trying to manage the team while still doing most of my old job because they did not backfill that position, and now I'm trying to keep things afloat for the 2 guys who won't be back for a bit. My boss has moved on to a new role so everyone is now coming to me for answers he used to provide. I've literally been working 16+ hours a day for about 3 weeks, and I'm still way behind on almost everything.

I'm flying somewhere warm next week and spending all of my time drunk by a pool.

I just got home from 5 days in Phoenix, and I have barely been sober since Tuesday.
3 x
Image

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 13556
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm
x 793
x 577

Re: random rants

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Cliched, to be sure. But my rant is as follows...

Mondays. Ugh.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62677
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3542
x 12656

Re: random rants

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:37 pm

Rob wrote:Cliched, to be sure. But my rant is as follows...

Mondays. Ugh.

Smarch Mondays
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4624
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1591
x 1830

Re: random rants

Postby squally1313 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Rob wrote:Cliched, to be sure. But my rant is as follows...

Mondays. Ugh.


Any other Monday, definitely. This one isn't so bad though. horsefeathers February.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73601
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1582
x 3436

Re: random rants

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:19 pm

For the past several weeks, I haven't been able to sleep more than 6 hours at night. No matter when I got to bed (or how tired I am), I fall asleep immediately, but wake up almost exactly 6 hours later. Last week I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10:30, only to be wide awake at 4:30am. If I toss and turn for an hour, I can doze off again, but this is getting annoying
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24152
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 537
x 1129

Re: random rants

Postby CubinNY » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Derwood wrote:For the past several weeks, I haven't been able to sleep more than 6 hours at night. No matter when I got to bed (or how tired I am), I fall asleep immediately, but wake up almost exactly 6 hours later. Last week I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10:30, only to be wide awake at 4:30am. If I toss and turn for an hour, I can doze off again, but this is getting annoying

Welcome to getting old.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85223
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16335
x 18530

Re: random rants

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:02 pm

Derwood wrote:For the past several weeks, I haven't been able to sleep more than 6 hours at night. No matter when I got to bed (or how tired I am), I fall asleep immediately, but wake up almost exactly 6 hours later. Last week I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10:30, only to be wide awake at 4:30am. If I toss and turn for an hour, I can doze off again, but this is getting annoying


Start trying different doses of melatonin.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73601
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1582
x 3436

Re: random rants

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:For the past several weeks, I haven't been able to sleep more than 6 hours at night. No matter when I got to bed (or how tired I am), I fall asleep immediately, but wake up almost exactly 6 hours later. Last week I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10:30, only to be wide awake at 4:30am. If I toss and turn for an hour, I can doze off again, but this is getting annoying


Start trying different doses of melatonin.


I've considered it, but here's the thing: this isn't insomnia. I have no trouble falling asleep, and I sleep soundly for six hours. My body seems to be okay with getting that much sleep, so it's not a question of being tired from the sleep schedule. It's more just a rant around the perceived mental health value of "sleeping in" now and then
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62677
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3542
x 12656

Re: random rants

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:06 pm

wake and bake
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85223
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16335
x 18530

Re: random rants

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:19 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:For the past several weeks, I haven't been able to sleep more than 6 hours at night. No matter when I got to bed (or how tired I am), I fall asleep immediately, but wake up almost exactly 6 hours later. Last week I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10:30, only to be wide awake at 4:30am. If I toss and turn for an hour, I can doze off again, but this is getting annoying


Start trying different doses of melatonin.


I've considered it, but here's the thing: this isn't insomnia. I have no trouble falling asleep, and I sleep soundly for six hours. My body seems to be okay with getting that much sleep, so it's not a question of being tired from the sleep schedule. It's more just a rant around the perceived mental health value of "sleeping in" now and then


That's largely why I started taking it, too; I was waking up way too early (like 2-3 hours) and having trouble getting back to sleep, or not sleeping soundly during that time. Melatonin is all about helping balance your sleep patterns/system as opposed to just knocking you out. People who sleep OK take it to sleep better.
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35957
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1110
x 7942

Re: random rants

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:06 pm

I need melatonin. I have fought the battle my whole adult life of struggling to fall asleep, but I was always able to stay asleep until I started getting closer my mid-40s. And if I have a couple drinks, there goes a couple more hours.
0 x
Image

User avatar
CoolHandLuke
All-Star
Posts: 4445
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Mount Prospect
x 300
x 345

Re: random rants

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 pm

If you feel like you're body is rested and refreshed, why not just enjoy the peaceful, pre-family morning hours?
2 x

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 13556
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm
x 793
x 577

Re: random rants

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:If you feel like you're body is rested and refreshed, why not just enjoy the peaceful, pre-family morning hours?


Preach. I keep getting up earlier and earlier on the weekends. I find it’s easier to get my alone time then than it is to stay up late after dealing with the kids all day.
1 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62677
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3542
x 12656

Re: random rants

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Rob wrote:
CoolHandLuke wrote:If you feel like you're body is rested and refreshed, why not just enjoy the peaceful, pre-family morning hours?


Preach. I keep getting up earlier and earlier on the weekends. I find it’s easier to get my alone time then than it is to stay up late after dealing with the kids all day.

My dog started whining at 4:45. I took her out and she was done in a couple minutes, although that 20 degree windy weather messed my morning up and I'm not getting back on track today. I've been trying to do the wake up early and get things done routine for years, and I can't.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9315
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 7366
x 1401

Re: random rants

Postby weis21 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Rob wrote:
CoolHandLuke wrote:If you feel like you're body is rested and refreshed, why not just enjoy the peaceful, pre-family morning hours?


Preach. I keep getting up earlier and earlier on the weekends. I find it’s easier to get my alone time then than it is to stay up late after dealing with the kids all day.

My dog started whining at 4:45. I took her out and she was done in a couple minutes, although that 20 degree windy weather messed my morning up and I'm not getting back on track today. I've been trying to do the wake up early and get things done routine for years, and I can't.

Unless I’m misconstruing, i think his (and my) point is to get up early and do nothing other than hear quietness and read NSBB.com and such
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20001
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3259
x 1207

Re: random rants

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:29 am

weis21 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Rob wrote:
Preach. I keep getting up earlier and earlier on the weekends. I find it’s easier to get my alone time then than it is to stay up late after dealing with the kids all day.

My dog started whining at 4:45. I took her out and she was done in a couple minutes, although that 20 degree windy weather messed my morning up and I'm not getting back on track today. I've been trying to do the wake up early and get things done routine for years, and I can't.

Unless I’m misconstruing, i think his (and my) point is to get up early and do nothing other than hear quietness and read NSBB.com and such


my wife starts work at 5:00 (works from home for an east coast time-zone company) and I get out of bed at 6:00. 6:00 - 7:00 is the only time we have to scheme things like my daughter's schooling, what we're spending money on....etc. for me, its perfect.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35957
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1110
x 7942

Re: random rants

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:35 pm

horsefeathering Amazon (et al.). I ordered something on Tuesday night that was supposed to be delivered yesterday. It still shows it hasn't shipped so I call their customer service. The lady tells me she can open a ticket with the fulfillment center as it's "stuck in shipping", and it should ship within 3-5 business days. IT'S A ONE-DAY DELIVERY ITEM.

Why this irks me so much is I manage a team that has constant interaction with our customers. Another group in our area is technically more like "customer service", and I also spend a fair amount of time working with that group. If anyone on either of our teams were too lazy to connect those simple little dots, they wouldn't last long with us. There are days I believe we hold our teams to excessively high standards, especially when I continue to see service like that, but it's one of the parts of our business our customers consistently rave about. I'm picking on Amazon today, but it's customer service everywhere that really pisses me off.
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20001
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3259
x 1207

Re: random rants

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:horsefeathering Amazon (et al.). I ordered something on Tuesday night that was supposed to be delivered yesterday. It still shows it hasn't shipped so I call their customer service. The lady tells me she can open a ticket with the fulfillment center as it's "stuck in shipping", and it should ship within 3-5 business days. IT'S A ONE-DAY DELIVERY ITEM.

Why this irks me so much is I manage a team that has constant interaction with our customers. Another group in our area is technically more like "customer service", and I also spend a fair amount of time working with that group. If anyone on either of our teams were too lazy to connect those simple little dots, they wouldn't last long with us. There are days I believe we hold our teams to excessively high standards, especially when I continue to see service like that, but it's one of the parts of our business our customers consistently rave about. I'm picking on Amazon today, but it's customer service everywhere that really pisses me off.


try working with City planning/building/engineering departments sometimes. Left hand, meet right hand...but only if you force it so
0 x
Image


Return to “Rants”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest