random rants

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: random rants

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:44 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I'm horsefeathering worn out.

Our company is going through some major changes, and 40% of my team has decided now would be a great time to be out. One nearly died (intubated in the ICU for nearly 2 weeks, internal bleeding, etc.), and there's no timetable on his return. Another had some personal family issues pop up. The 3 that I have working are all fairly new to the role. So here I am, trying to manage the team while still doing most of my old job because they did not backfill that position, and now I'm trying to keep things afloat for the 2 guys who won't be back for a bit. My boss has moved on to a new role so everyone is now coming to me for answers he used to provide. I've literally been working 16+ hours a day for about 3 weeks, and I'm still way behind on almost everything.

I'm flying somewhere warm next week and spending all of my time drunk by a pool.

I just got home from 5 days in Phoenix, and I have barely been sober since Tuesday.
3 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Cliched, to be sure. But my rant is as follows...

Mondays. Ugh.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:37 pm

Rob wrote:Cliched, to be sure. But my rant is as follows...

Mondays. Ugh.

Smarch Mondays
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Rob wrote:Cliched, to be sure. But my rant is as follows...

Mondays. Ugh.

Any other Monday, definitely. This one isn't so bad though. horsefeathers February.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:19 pm

For the past several weeks, I haven't been able to sleep more than 6 hours at night. No matter when I got to bed (or how tired I am), I fall asleep immediately, but wake up almost exactly 6 hours later. Last week I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10:30, only to be wide awake at 4:30am. If I toss and turn for an hour, I can doze off again, but this is getting annoying
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Derwood wrote:For the past several weeks, I haven't been able to sleep more than 6 hours at night. No matter when I got to bed (or how tired I am), I fall asleep immediately, but wake up almost exactly 6 hours later. Last week I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10:30, only to be wide awake at 4:30am. If I toss and turn for an hour, I can doze off again, but this is getting annoying

Welcome to getting old.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:02 pm

Derwood wrote:For the past several weeks, I haven't been able to sleep more than 6 hours at night. No matter when I got to bed (or how tired I am), I fall asleep immediately, but wake up almost exactly 6 hours later. Last week I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10:30, only to be wide awake at 4:30am. If I toss and turn for an hour, I can doze off again, but this is getting annoying

Start trying different doses of melatonin.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I've considered it, but here's the thing: this isn't insomnia. I have no trouble falling asleep, and I sleep soundly for six hours. My body seems to be okay with getting that much sleep, so it's not a question of being tired from the sleep schedule. It's more just a rant around the perceived mental health value of "sleeping in" now and then
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:06 pm

wake and bake
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:19 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I've considered it, but here's the thing: this isn't insomnia. I have no trouble falling asleep, and I sleep soundly for six hours. My body seems to be okay with getting that much sleep, so it's not a question of being tired from the sleep schedule. It's more just a rant around the perceived mental health value of "sleeping in" now and then

That's largely why I started taking it, too; I was waking up way too early (like 2-3 hours) and having trouble getting back to sleep, or not sleeping soundly during that time. Melatonin is all about helping balance your sleep patterns/system as opposed to just knocking you out. People who sleep OK take it to sleep better.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:06 pm

I need melatonin. I have fought the battle my whole adult life of struggling to fall asleep, but I was always able to stay asleep until I started getting closer my mid-40s. And if I have a couple drinks, there goes a couple more hours.
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 pm

If you feel like you're body is rested and refreshed, why not just enjoy the peaceful, pre-family morning hours?
2 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:If you feel like you're body is rested and refreshed, why not just enjoy the peaceful, pre-family morning hours?

Preach. I keep getting up earlier and earlier on the weekends. I find it’s easier to get my alone time then than it is to stay up late after dealing with the kids all day.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Rob wrote:
CoolHandLuke wrote:If you feel like you're body is rested and refreshed, why not just enjoy the peaceful, pre-family morning hours?

Preach. I keep getting up earlier and earlier on the weekends. I find it’s easier to get my alone time then than it is to stay up late after dealing with the kids all day.

My dog started whining at 4:45. I took her out and she was done in a couple minutes, although that 20 degree windy weather messed my morning up and I'm not getting back on track today. I've been trying to do the wake up early and get things done routine for years, and I can't.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Rob wrote:

My dog started whining at 4:45. I took her out and she was done in a couple minutes, although that 20 degree windy weather messed my morning up and I'm not getting back on track today. I've been trying to do the wake up early and get things done routine for years, and I can't.

Unless I’m misconstruing, i think his (and my) point is to get up early and do nothing other than hear quietness and read NSBB.com and such
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:29 am

weis21 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Rob wrote:

Unless I’m misconstruing, i think his (and my) point is to get up early and do nothing other than hear quietness and read NSBB.com and such

my wife starts work at 5:00 (works from home for an east coast time-zone company) and I get out of bed at 6:00. 6:00 - 7:00 is the only time we have to scheme things like my daughter's schooling, what we're spending money on....etc. for me, its perfect.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:35 pm

horsefeathering Amazon (et al.). I ordered something on Tuesday night that was supposed to be delivered yesterday. It still shows it hasn't shipped so I call their customer service. The lady tells me she can open a ticket with the fulfillment center as it's "stuck in shipping", and it should ship within 3-5 business days. IT'S A ONE-DAY DELIVERY ITEM.

Why this irks me so much is I manage a team that has constant interaction with our customers. Another group in our area is technically more like "customer service", and I also spend a fair amount of time working with that group. If anyone on either of our teams were too lazy to connect those simple little dots, they wouldn't last long with us. There are days I believe we hold our teams to excessively high standards, especially when I continue to see service like that, but it's one of the parts of our business our customers consistently rave about. I'm picking on Amazon today, but it's customer service everywhere that really pisses me off.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:horsefeathering Amazon (et al.). I ordered something on Tuesday night that was supposed to be delivered yesterday. It still shows it hasn't shipped so I call their customer service. The lady tells me she can open a ticket with the fulfillment center as it's "stuck in shipping", and it should ship within 3-5 business days. IT'S A ONE-DAY DELIVERY ITEM.

Why this irks me so much is I manage a team that has constant interaction with our customers. Another group in our area is technically more like "customer service", and I also spend a fair amount of time working with that group. If anyone on either of our teams were too lazy to connect those simple little dots, they wouldn't last long with us. There are days I believe we hold our teams to excessively high standards, especially when I continue to see service like that, but it's one of the parts of our business our customers consistently rave about. I'm picking on Amazon today, but it's customer service everywhere that really pisses me off.

try working with City planning/building/engineering departments sometimes. Left hand, meet right hand...but only if you force it so
0 x

Return to “Rants”