Cubs & Mother-in-Law

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Cubs & Mother-in-Law

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:51 am

My mother-in-law lives about 5 minutes away and helps out with our son when we need it, so I am appreciative of that, but there are times when that 5 minute distance is not nearly enough. Last year, she decided to cancel her cable TV and internet subscriptions both at the same time because she doesn't want to spend any money (except on bins full of craft supplies, but I digress).

I am someone who enjoys watching sports alone, especially the Cubs, and especially the playoffs. If I'm not at the game, I just want to sit in front of my big TV with a beer and minimal distractions. If it is a game where I don't particularly care about the outcome, like the Super Bowl with no particular rooting interest, then I'm fine going to a party or watching the game with friends, but for something as important to me as the Cubs I just want to be left alone.

Which leads me to tonight when apparently my mother-in-law invited herself over to watch the game Friday night. She doesn't follow sports or know a thing about baseball, but just wants to watch now because it is the playoffs. My wife will end up falling asleep by 8:30, like she usually does, and it will end up being just me and my mother-in-law watching the game and her asking questions that I don't want to answer. Am I being ridiculous or is this truly the worst thing ever? How do I get out of it???
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Cubs & Mother-in-Law

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:53 am

Divorce
6 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:55 am

You have two options and neither may be good for you.

1. Just suck it up and watch the game with your mother in law.

2. Have a good friend invite you over to watch the game and let your wife and mother in law watch alone.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:07 am

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:07 pm

Haha.

I laugh because I can relate a bit...at least to the "close in distance in-laws that help out so much that you can't be as grouchy as you want to be about them invading your space."

But mine wouldn't hang around if my wife was going to sleep. They'd take that as a cue to leave. I think Vance's 2nd option is the best way to go. It may not be watching sports alone, but it's not with the mother-in-law.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:My mother-in-law lives about 5 minutes away and helps out with our son when we need it, so I am appreciative of that, but there are times when that 5 minute distance is not nearly enough. Last year, she decided to cancel her cable TV and internet subscriptions both at the same time because she doesn't want to spend any money (except on bins full of craft supplies, but I digress).

I am someone who enjoys watching sports alone, especially the Cubs, and especially the playoffs. If I'm not at the game, I just want to sit in front of my big TV with a beer and minimal distractions. If it is a game where I don't particularly care about the outcome, like the Super Bowl with no particular rooting interest, then I'm fine going to a party or watching the game with friends, but for something as important to me as the Cubs I just want to be left alone.

Which leads me to tonight when apparently my mother-in-law invited herself over to watch the game Friday night. She doesn't follow sports or know a thing about baseball, but just wants to watch now because it is the playoffs. My wife will end up falling asleep by 8:30, like she usually does, and it will end up being just me and my mother-in-law watching the game and her asking questions that I don't want to answer. Am I being ridiculous or is this truly the worst thing ever? How do I get out of it???

Maybe your MIL will fall asleep too. It is baseball which has to be among the more boring sports if you don't know what's happening.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Or, if you don't like any of your close personal Cubs fans (which I occasionally find myself in that situation), pretend like you're going to a friends house and then just find a dive bar and get there early enough to get a prime seat. You won't be able to react as strongly as you probably would like to, but a bar tends to be pretty accepting of stronger emotions.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:25 pm

In all seriousness this is a situation where your wife should step up and tell her mother that you prefer to watch big games alone and that she'd love to grab a drink with her somewhere or stop by the mom's house for a visit before going to bed.

but still, divorce is an option
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:28 pm

if i had to pick between sitting at home alone and having someone bug me with questions all game or going to a bar by myself, i'd take the latter every time. you'll be left alone if you want to be (and you can celebrate with everyone if you want to too), and lots of bars will play the audio loud enough that you can still hear what's going on.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Boris
Starter

Postby Boris » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Objection to visitation on game evening should be wife's responsibility. Have you asked her?

If there's some reason you can't simply flat out reject her party crashing. Go to a "bar" and then come back a little after the game has started.

Honestly, you're overthinking this one. Tell her no.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:17 pm

I'll be at a conference in Atlanta so I'll be watching at a bar. Presumably alone since there is only one other guy and like half a dozen women. I'll be rocking Cubs gear for all the times I'm not presenting.

I'm assuming I'll probably run into at least a few "real" cubs fans and probably a few others that are just hopping on the bandwagon/rooting for them to win. but either way I don't care and will enjoy it at the bar.
0 x

jehr
Role Player

Postby jehr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Spike the MILs drink, and wait for her to pass out. Problem solved.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 pm

jehr wrote:Spike the MILs drink, and wait for her to pass out. Problem solved.

hot first take?

first hot take?
0 x

Geech
All-Star

Postby Geech » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:08 am

Suck it up and be nice to the MIL.
1 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

Buster
Role Player

Postby Buster » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:55 am

If you want to avoid something drastic like getting a divorce you could just burn your house down. Boom problem solved.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Buster wrote:If you want to avoid something drastic like getting a divorce you could just burn your house down. Boom Roasted.

#michaelscotted
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Boris
Starter

Postby Boris » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:17 pm

How did this play out?
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Good news to report and I think we are in the clear for awhile.

After my wife's repeated comments about how it was going to be late and she had to work the next morning, my mother-in-law decided to stay home Friday night. She didn't come over Saturday night either, and surely won't even be considering it with tonight's 8:40 start time. She also leaves for a 2 week vacation starting this weekend, so I think the threat has passed until at least Game 5 or 6 of the World Series.

My backup plan was to suck it up and medicate with alcohol, which I still did but to a lesser degree.

Ultimately, as jersey cubs fan mentioned, it was my wife's suggestions that saved the day, although she didn't go the "he likes to watch the game alone" route. It was more of "I'm tired and I have to work tomorrow," which was all true anyway.

Positive outcomes all around!
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:20 am

0 x

Return to “Rants”