The Blasphemy Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

The Blasphemy Thread

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:18 pm

Use this thread to voice unpopular opinions/rants

I'll start

I think the "horse feathers" filter is no longer funny and is now annoying.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: The Blasphemy Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 pm

I'd hope Fred haunts the ever-lovin' horsefeathers out of you, but that would be really cruel to someone as awesome as him.
5 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 pm

donald trump's election completely negated all my enthusiasm about the cubs world series. i feel like an idiot for caring so much about a sports team. i am certain i will never separate these events in my mind.

i don't believe in karma or order to the universe, but it feels like the cubs win was just a nice treat to take the edge off this horror.
4 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:35 pm

treebird wrote:donald trump's election completely negated all my enthusiasm about the cubs world series. i feel like an idiot for caring so much about a sports team. i am certain i will never separate these events in my mind.

i don't believe in karma or order to the universe, but it feels like the cubs win was just a nice treat to take the edge off this horror.

Same here. The special on FS1 really helped alleviate it a little bit; I had kinda been ignoring all things Cubs besides this board for a while because the WS and the election of the damned were so closely conflated. It's going to suck that when I think of the Cubs winning that WS I automatically think of that horsefeathering nonsense happening right after.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I'd hope Fred haunts the ever-lovin' horsefeathers out of you, but that would be really cruel to someone as awesome as him.

My brain can read {expletive] as the correct word in the context of the post, but I an only read horsefeathers as horsefeathers
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:54 pm

treebird wrote:donald trump's election completely negated all my enthusiasm about the cubs world series. i feel like an idiot for caring so much about a sports team. i am certain i will never separate these events in my mind.

Yeah, the Cubs win before the election, and my vacation shortly after it made for some fine bread on a horsefeathers sandwich.
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:33 pm

even the fanciest, yuppiest, most pretentious beer you all love doesn't taste all that good because it's beer
7 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Same here. The special on FS1 really helped alleviate it a little bit; I had kinda been ignoring all things Cubs besides this board for a while because the WS and the election of the damned were so closely conflated. It's going to suck that when I think of the Cubs winning that WS I automatically think of that horsefeathering nonsense happening right after.

I've been waiting my entire life for a Cubs World Series, nothing could possibly ruin that for me with the exception of an unexpected death in the family.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:37 pm

We've all been waiting our whole lives for a Cubs WS.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 pm

i don't tend to like craft beer and i usually just drink whatever crappy domestic light is on special, but i do make an exception for delirium tremens. that horsefeathers is delicious.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:56 pm

I'm in a similar boat to an even greater extent. While the Cubs are by far my greatest sporting interest, my other favorite pro sports teams are the Cavs(won NBA title), Sounders(play for MLS title Saturday), and Chiefs(9-3 in NFL's hardest division). If Seattle does win you can probably make yourself some money on picking a super bowl winner now, but it does feel like small potatoes given real life events.

More to the title of the thread, my blasphemic reaction is that I was far more relieved than excited when the Cubs won it all. It reminded me a bit of my summer league team in 8th grade, we only lost 1 game the entire year, and after we won the championship, we barely celebrated after the final out. It wasn't some intentional decision, it was just that winning the league was what we expected. I had similar feelings about the Cubs, they were so much better than everyone else this year that not winning would have been a disappointment/injustice far greater than them taking their rightful spot as champs. I mean you can make the argument that we just saw one of the best individual seasons+playoffs in 120 years of MLB seasons and I was sighing in relief when Bryant got the final out instead of screaming or crying in joy.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:59 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

I'm in a similar boat to an even greater extent. While the Cubs are by far my greatest sporting interest, my other favorite pro sports teams are the Cavs(won NBA title), Sounders(play for MLS title Saturday), and Chiefs(9-3 in NFL's hardest division). If Seattle does win you can probably make yourself some money on picking a super bowl winner now, but it does feel like small potatoes given real life events.

More to the title of the thread, my blasphemic reaction is that I was far more relieved than excited when the Cubs won it all. It reminded me a bit of my summer league team in 8th grade, we only lost 1 game the entire year, and after we won the championship, we barely celebrated after the final out. It wasn't some intentional decision, it was just that winning the league was what we expected. I had similar feelings about the Cubs, they were so much better than everyone else this year that not winning would have been a disappointment/injustice far greater than them taking their rightful spot as champs. I mean you can make the argument that we just saw one of the best individual seasons+playoffs in 120 years of MLB seasons and I was sighing in relief when Bryant got the final out instead of screaming or crying in joy.

i had so much anxiety about getting there and then blowing what could be our only chance when we fell behind 3-1 that any sense of what you described was gone for me...well, there was relief, but it wasn't like "this was supposed to happen" it was more like "THANK horsefeathering GOD THIS HAPPENED THIS IS AMAZING"
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:00 am

I have lost interest in sports in general outside of the Cubs. I'll catch a Saints game or a Hog game, but it's nowhere near the intensity I had even a couple of years ago. Hell, I used to have Sunday Ticket, but I can't remember the last non-Saints NFL game I watched. The NFL blows in recent years.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:02 am

I guess my contribution to this thread should be that as much as I was shocked and pissed off at the election results as they were happening and as horrible as i think this presidency will be, it doesn't really alter my mood on a daily basis. only when i'm actually reading/thinking about it. but for the most part it's life as usual.

so i guess my blasphemy is that the election didn't ruin my enjoyment of what the cubs did. i feel like some kind of philistine for saying that.
Last edited by David on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:04 am

NOLA wrote:I have lost interest in sports in general outside of the Cubs. I'll catch a Saints game or a Hog game, but it's nowhere near the intensity I had even a couple of years ago. Hell, I used to have Sunday Ticket, but I can't remember the last non-Saints NFL game I watched. The NFL blows in recent years.

this may have something to do with the cubs being amazing and the saints being crap.

i remember banedon talking about how he didn't really care about baseball anymore a few years ago. well, about that...
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:07 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:More to the title of the thread, my blasphemic reaction is that I was far more relieved than excited when the Cubs won it all. It reminded me a bit of my summer league team in 8th grade, we only lost 1 game the entire year, and after we won the championship, we barely celebrated after the final out. It wasn't some intentional decision, it was just that winning the league was what we expected. I had similar feelings about the Cubs, they were so much better than everyone else this year that not winning would have been a disappointment/injustice far greater than them taking their rightful spot as champs. I mean you can make the argument that we just saw one of the best individual seasons+playoffs in 120 years of MLB seasons and I was sighing in relief when Bryant got the final out instead of screaming or crying in joy.

This is essentially 100% how I felt and still feel and I hate myself for it.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:10 am

David wrote:
NOLA wrote:I have lost interest in sports in general outside of the Cubs. I'll catch a Saints game or a Hog game, but it's nowhere near the intensity I had even a couple of years ago. Hell, I used to have Sunday Ticket, but I can't remember the last non-Saints NFL game I watched. The NFL blows in recent years.

this may have something to do with the cubs being amazing and the saints being crap.

i remember banedon talking about how he didn't really care about baseball anymore a few years ago. well, about that...

Agreed, but I used to be able to watch any sports at any time even if my team was not involved. I just don't care anymore. I could easily get behind a winning Hogs or Saints team, but it's just the random sports viewing that I don't care for anymore.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:12 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:More to the title of the thread, my blasphemic reaction is that I was far more relieved than excited when the Cubs won it all. It reminded me a bit of my summer league team in 8th grade, we only lost 1 game the entire year, and after we won the championship, we barely celebrated after the final out. It wasn't some intentional decision, it was just that winning the league was what we expected. I had similar feelings about the Cubs, they were so much better than everyone else this year that not winning would have been a disappointment/injustice far greater than them taking their rightful spot as champs. I mean you can make the argument that we just saw one of the best individual seasons+playoffs in 120 years of MLB seasons and I was sighing in relief when Bryant got the final out instead of screaming or crying in joy.

This is essentially 100% how I felt and still feel and I hate myself for it.

This was 100% my sentiment as well, for a few days. By the weekend it sunk in and I shed a tear and enjoyed it.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:19 am

David wrote:

Yep, definitely was true, and definitely is not the case anymore.
0 x

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:41 am

Not sure it relates to the thread but one of the best things about the Cubs winning it all is the reverse shaudenfraude I got out of it. I have a couple former friends who are cardinals fans and I know they were rooting hard against the Cubs to win it all. One is even married to a Cleveland fans and they now live there!

Basically the Cubs winning it all had so many great ramifications, big and small. It really has made me whole as a sports fan and I think it's going to be great fun to be a Cubs fan for at least the next 5 years. (And even if it isn't, at least we know what the very top of the mountain feels like).

And I feel like the horsefeathers thing has run its course too.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:12 pm

I mentioned it before, but yeah, relief was definitely the prevailing feeling. It hit me the next day how the previous month had just felt like I had been tense the whole time; just constantly thinking about the games, and sleeping terribly from the stress and late start times. That night I kept weirdly waking up thinking the game was still going on, or had been postponed, but the NEXT night was such a sweet night of sleeping normally for the first time in weeks. I just didn't have the energy to be flipping out or losing it emotionally.

When my dad and I talk about the upcoming season, we both keep coming back to how it's just a relief to be able to just root for a "regular" baseball team now without all of the baggage of history.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:When my dad and I talk about the upcoming season, we both keep coming back to how it's just a relief to be able to just root for a "regular" baseball team now without all of the baggage of history.

I'm actually really looking forward to regular season baseball. The playoffs were a blast, but man...the regular season going to feel so relaxed and carefree for a while. Normal rotation, normal bullpen usage...

I'm sure at some point I'll be in "can we skip to the playoffs" mode, but I'm gonna try to enjoy the low stress for a while.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:We've all been waiting our whole lives for a Cubs WS.

No horsefeathers.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I mentioned it before, but yeah, relief was definitely the prevailing feeling. It hit me the next day how the previous month had just felt like I had been tense the whole time; just constantly thinking about the games, and sleeping terribly from the stress and late start times. That night I kept weirdly waking up thinking the game was still going on, or had been postponed, but the NEXT night was such a sweet night of sleeping normally for the first time in weeks. I just didn't have the energy to be flipping out or losing it emotionally.

When my dad and I talk about the upcoming season, we both keep coming back to how it's just a relief to be able to just root for a "regular" baseball team now without all of the baggage of history.

Yep. I was so horsefeathering exhausted by the whole thing (went to every home game but one, watched all the road games at bars, etc) I was just grateful it was over with the result I wanted. Plus, I was there in person for the pennant clinching game, made it into a selfie with Willson and was on tv, so I kinda peaked then. Game 7 was still an unbelievably amazing game and the celebration afterward is something I'll never forget. But [expletive], I was tired.

Sorry for the humblebrag.
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts