The Blasphemy Thread

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Blasphemy Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:38 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:The Pat Hughes' final out call was disappointing / underwhelming.

Someone said that on Twitter the other day and I agree. I I love Pat and he is a joy to listen to but I don't think his call sold the moment properly. I did like the line about the players jumping on each other like 10 year olds though
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:48 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Liam Neeson wrote:The Pat Hughes' final out call was disappointing / underwhelming.

Someone said that on Twitter the other day and I agree. I I love Pat and he is a joy to listen to but I don't think his call sold the moment properly. I did like the line about the players jumping on each other like 10 year olds though

After years of dealing with Santo making no sense and then Coomer with much losing at the same time, Hughes pretty much checked out of the job.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:56 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

After years of dealing with Santo making no sense and then Coomer with much losing at the same time, Hughes pretty much checked out of the job.

Yeah, it just doesn't seem like he has much enthusiasm for anything at all now.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

He does have enthusiasm for crapping in Wrigley Field bathrooms for a full inning.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:28 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:After years of dealing with Santo making no sense and then Coomer with much losing at the same time, Hughes pretty much checked out of the job.

He does have enthusiasm for crapping in Wrigley Field bathrooms for a full inning.

lmao
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:55 pm

"My boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I poop on company time."

Then again Hughes calling the game blindly from the can would most likely still be better than Coomer PBP.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Except his HOF broadcaster cd series!
0 x
Win it for Fred

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:56 am

It was but his call with one out, "you will remember where you are for the rest of your life" was frigging great and will always give me goosebumps.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:01 am

The_Achiever wrote:

It was but his call with one out, "you will remember where you are for the rest of your life" was frigging great and will always give me goosebumps.

Agreed on this (and the other comments about his game ending call being a bit underwhelming). His call with one out reminded me of his call to end the cardinals series last year, which will probably always be my favorite of his.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah, I preferred Buck's call of pretty much every major moment in the NLCS/WS.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Yeah, but Buck's call of the final play is primo Buck dumbassery.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:30 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, but Buck's call of the final play is primo Buck dumbassery.

The best worst call I can remember was a few years ago when Peyton Manning and the Broncos were kicking ass and in the playoffs the fact that manning screamed Omaha 3-5 times before every snap became an enourmous deal.

I have only heard the call once but I will never forget it. It was the most canned, scripted call I've ever heard and because Jim Nantz is an unparalleled douche I can still hear it

When the last play of the AFC title game ended he said "and this will send up a roar from here to NEBRASKA!!!'"
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:31 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, but Buck's call of the final play is primo Buck dumbassery.

The best worst call I can remember was a few years ago when Peyton Manning and the Broncos were kicking ass and in the playoffs the fact that manning screamed Omaha 3-5 times before every snap became an enourmous deal.

I have only heard the call once but I will never forget it. It was the most canned, scripted call I've ever heard and because Jim Nantz is an unparalleled douche I can still hear it

When the last play of the AFC title game ended he said "and this will send up a roar from here to NEBRASKA!!!'"
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:38 am

excuse me nothing is worse than "this one is for all the tostitos."
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:18 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

I think it's important to remember that a baseball announcer has a harder job with the final call since there's no way of knowing for sure exactly when it will happen as opposed to sports that have a clock that's winding down (eg. the miracle on ice.) I'll give Hughes a pass.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:28 pm

biittner77 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

I think it's important to remember that a baseball announcer has a harder job with the final call since there's no way of knowing for sure exactly when it will happen as opposed to sports that have a clock that's winding down (eg. the miracle on ice.) I'll give Hughes a pass.

Yeah its interesting though...I did like Buck's call but it was funny how when the ball was hit, he was in 'PBP' mode "this is going to be a tough play..." and then he realizes its become a routine play and you can immediately hear the difference in his voice as he switches into 'historic call' mode.
0 x
Win it for Fred

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:19 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Yeah its interesting though...I did like Buck's call but it was funny how when the ball was hit, he was in 'PBP' mode "this is going to be a tough play..." and then he realizes its become a routine play and you can immediately hear the difference in his voice as he switches into 'historic call' mode.

in fairness to buck, the very first thought in my head on contact was visions of kipnis' lame hit off lester earlier in the game and the cubs blowing it again
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:

That barely registers on the scale of stupid canned Nantz lines. He has one just about every time a game doesn't end unpredictably. It's not coincidental that maybe his best call (my favorite anyway) is of the Butler shot that nearly went in in the 2010 NCAA title game against Duke. He didn't have a chance to script some garbage for it.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:36 pm

I don't know if Hughes has checked out or he's just getting older and more forgetful. More than a few times he called players by their wrong names last year. It was very noticeable. However, he does have a "let's get this over with" type sentence every time the game goes long. When that relief pitcher for the pirates (Bastardo) takes so long between pitches you can sense how pissed off he is.

I know Santo was a dumbass, but the early years between those two was great. Even though Hughes is not on the top of his game, he's still better than everyone else in radio.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:40 pm

CubinNY wrote:I don't know if Hughes has check out or he's just getting older and more forgetful. More than a few times he called players by their wrong names last year. It was very noticeable. However, he does have a "let's get this over with" type sentence every time the game goes long. When that relief pitcher for the pirates (Bastardo) takes so long between pitches you can sense how pissed off he is.

I know Santo was a dumbass, but the early years between those two was great. Even though Hughes is not on the top of his game, he's still better than everyone else in radio.

That really took a turn at the end, considering what you wrote in the first paragraph. I think he was one of the best at one point, but he always had a hokey gimmick that knocked him down a notch or two in my ears. Now I don't see anyway you could claim he's the best in radio.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:46 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I don't know if Hughes has check out or he's just getting older and more forgetful. More than a few times he called players by their wrong names last year. It was very noticeable. However, he does have a "let's get this over with" type sentence every time the game goes long. When that relief pitcher for the pirates (Bastardo) takes so long between pitches you can sense how pissed off he is.

That really took a turn at the end, considering what you wrote in the first paragraph. I think he was one of the best at one point, but he always had a hokey gimmick that knocked him down a notch or two in my ears. Now I don't see anyway you could claim he's the best in radio.

I have to listen to a lot of games in my car on SiriusXM and to me he's still the most enjoyable to listen to, but that could just be because it's Cubs.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:02 pm

CubinNY wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I have to listen to a lot of games in my car on SiriusXM and to me he's still the most enjoyable to listen to, but that could just be because it's Cubs.

Fred Manfra and Joe Angel from the Orioles are pretty good, or at least they used to be. I haven't listen to an Orioles game in a long time. I don't really care about the Orioles but I actively hate most announcers but I like those guys.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Return to “Rants”