The Blasphemy Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: The Blasphemy Thread

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Yep, that was an insanely stressful series. 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night and all the tension made it sorta unpleasant.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:35 am

Blasphemy: Joe Maddon crapped the bed in the WS and almost cost them the title. For a guy who's so calm and collected during the regular season, he let the pressure get to him and almost managed himself into ignominy forever. It would have been one more page in the loser book for the Cubs. The talent overcame his terrible decision making.

I'm so happy they won and every time I think about it I smile, so who gives a horsefeathers? Just like everything else, the election has really hit me and muted the happiness of winning the WS. It's like the gods were saying. "oh yeah, you feel good now? How about this? That will serve you."
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:50 am

I've honestly had very little Cubs-related joy since the election. There was a thread before the playoffs, I believe, wherein someone asked whether we'd take a Cubs WS win in exchange for a Trump Presidency. I responded, horsefeathers no....I'd trust Theo & the current level of talent to win without such a guarantee. horsefeathers Trump.

Thankfully, I've been focusing my time on doing what I can to blunt the awfulness of what's to come. My time & money is being directed towards organizations/charities that will be needed to protect all of us, including the vast majority of those who support Trump. Knowing me, after the winter doldrums, I'll be excited again when pitchers & catchers report. Baseball is the only sport I've truly cared about for almost a decade now.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:03 pm

CubinNY wrote:Blasphemy: Joe Maddon crapped the bed in the WS and almost cost them the title. For a guy who's so calm and collected during the regular season, he let the pressure get to him and almost managed himself into ignominy forever. It would have been one more page in the loser book for the Cubs. The talent overcame his terrible decision making.

This was only blasphemy the day after it happened. Now that we've reached the hot stove part of the year it's worth another look. There's no denying he made some questionable decisions. Some of them are more defendable than others. Perhaps Maddon knew things that we couldn't that made them make more sense to him.

For example, why pull Hendricks when he did? The plan was to use Lester at some point but that meant getting him ready ahead of time. The telecast caught a somewhat heated discussion between Ross and Maddon about Lester. I think Ross told him that if needed to get Lester in there now or not use him at all, which is why he went against his own plan and brought him in with men on base. Considering his complete lack of trust of anyone else in the pen, it makes sense. Admittedly, it might have been better to send in any available reliever to get that one out at that point in the game.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:12 pm

biittner77 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Blasphemy: Joe Maddon crapped the bed in the WS and almost cost them the title. For a guy who's so calm and collected during the regular season, he let the pressure get to him and almost managed himself into ignominy forever. It would have been one more page in the loser book for the Cubs. The talent overcame his terrible decision making.

This was only blasphemy the day after it happened. Now that we've reached the hot stove part of the year it's worth another look. There's no denying he made some questionable decisions. Some of them are more defendable than others. Perhaps Maddon knew things that we couldn't that made them make more sense to him.

For example, why pull Hendricks when he did? The plan was to use Lester at some point but that meant getting him ready ahead of time. The telecast caught a somewhat heated discussion between Ross and Maddon about Lester. I think Ross told him that if needed to get Lester in there now or not use him at all, which is why he went against his own plan and brought him in with men on base. Considering his complete lack of trust of anyone else in the pen, it makes sense. Admittedly, it might have been better to send in any available reliever to get that one out at that point in the game.

I think he thought that Hendricks was losing it in the 3rd(?) when he had a bit of traffic on the bases, and decided to get Lester going soon. Once he had Lester going, even though Kyle was cruising then...he felt like he had to get Lester in. I don't think he felt like he could sit Lester again and have him get up again. And that makes sense. So the mistake he made was getting Lester up at all.

Hopefully, Maddon learned some things in that series on what not to do...and can avoid some similar situations in future playoff runs.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Hendricks got pulled because it was his 3rd time through the order, the best hitter(s) on the team were due up with a runner on base, and Lester was ready with the platoon advantage.

Maddon made some mistakes in the series, like overestimating the effectiveness of a tired Chapman and having Javy bunt. The former is at least understandable considering the state of the rest of the pen, and the latter was a dumb idea but also a one-off. I don't really think less of him as a manager after the WS.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Banedon wrote:
I think he thought that Hendricks was losing it in the 3rd(?) when he had a bit of traffic on the bases, and decided to get Lester going soon. Once he had Lester going, even though Kyle was cruising then...he felt like he had to get Lester in. I don't think he felt like he could sit Lester again and have him get up again. And that makes sense. So the mistake he made was getting Lester up at all.

Hopefully, Maddon learned some things in that series on what not to do...and can avoid some similar situations in future playoff runs.

But with a starter used to getting up and down for several innings, with an offense that tends to make the innings last a long time, getting up and down multiple times should not have been too much of an issue with Lester. That was more of a Chapman thing.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Hendricks got pulled because it was his 3rd time through the order, the best hitter(s) on the team were due up with a runner on base, and Lester was ready with the platoon advantage.

Hendricks has earned the right to work himself out of whatever jams he gets himself into. But, this is an organization that prides itself on using stats to their advantage, and they played the percentages exactly the way you would expect in a game where only one outcome is acceptable, and that's to stay true to your belief that your odds are better not letting the starting pitcher see the lineup a third time when you have devastating and different look arms in your bullpen. The only acceptable outcome was to win, and he was managing the team with that in mind. I can't fault him for that. And I'm sure he was willing to be the scapegoat if the percentages didn't work out in his favor and they ended up losing.

The difference that I saw this year and in 2003 was when the meltdown was happening in 2003, Dusty just sat on his ass and did nothing. Joe was doing something/anything to prevent that same meltdown.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:07 pm

I still have no problem with when he brought in Lester; if not Ross inexplicably throwing the ball away AND falling on his ass, it's not a problem. Lester pitched well.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I still have no problem with when he brought in Lester; if not Ross inexplicably throwing the ball away AND falling on his ass, it's not a problem. Lester pitched well.

Exactly, Lester gave up a swinging bunt and a fluke wild pitch, hard to do anything but shrug at your luck if that's the crummy outcome that keeping Hendricks in would've avoided.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I still have no problem with when he brought in Lester; if not Ross inexplicably throwing the ball away AND falling on his ass, it's not a problem. Lester pitched well.

True, but if he brings in Lester later, you maybe don't have to have Chapman throw as long as he did.

All "What if" scenarios, obviously.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Banedon wrote:

True, but if he brings in Lester later, you maybe don't have to have Chapman throw as long as he did.

It's not like he didn't have other options besides Chapman. He could have used Jake if he was that terrified of using one of the other relievers.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:02 pm

David wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
treebird wrote:donald trump's election completely negated all my enthusiasm about the cubs world series. i feel like an idiot for caring so much about a sports team. i am certain i will never separate these events in my mind.

i don't believe in karma or order to the universe, but it feels like the cubs win was just a nice treat to take the edge off this horror.

I'm in a similar boat to an even greater extent. While the Cubs are by far my greatest sporting interest, my other favorite pro sports teams are the Cavs(won NBA title), Sounders(play for MLS title Saturday), and Chiefs(9-3 in NFL's hardest division). If Seattle does win you can probably make yourself some money on picking a super bowl winner now, but it does feel like small potatoes given real life events.

More to the title of the thread, my blasphemic reaction is that I was far more relieved than excited when the Cubs won it all. It reminded me a bit of my summer league team in 8th grade, we only lost 1 game the entire year, and after we won the championship, we barely celebrated after the final out. It wasn't some intentional decision, it was just that winning the league was what we expected. I had similar feelings about the Cubs, they were so much better than everyone else this year that not winning would have been a disappointment/injustice far greater than them taking their rightful spot as champs. I mean you can make the argument that we just saw one of the best individual seasons+playoffs in 120 years of MLB seasons and I was sighing in relief when Bryant got the final out instead of screaming or crying in joy.

i had so much anxiety about getting there and then blowing what could be our only chance when we fell behind 3-1 that any sense of what you described was gone for me...well, there was relief, but it wasn't like "this was supposed to happen" it was more like "THANK horsefeathering GOD THIS HAPPENED THIS IS AMAZING"

i was the same way until the davis home run and then it all came back lol
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:18 pm

It's strange but I really never had any doubt that they'd win the World Series once they got there. Even after they went down 3-1 I knew, somehow, that they were going to win the last 3 games. I realize it's easy to say this now but I never doubted that they'd win even after the HR that tied the game. I haven't felt that way about a sporting event or team since the '85 Bears. I still don't understand it. Normally I'm pretty fatalistic about my teams. Not Sulley fatalistic but bracing myself for the worst.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:36 pm

i'm a loser and i mourned the season after game 4. even after game 5, i was happy they didn't get swept in all 3 at wrigley, but i was still kind of checked out. it wasn't until russell's 2 run "double" in the first inning of game 6 when i was fully invested again.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Intellectually, I knew the Cubs had a strong edge in games 5 & 6. Then we'd get Kluber going on short rest again, which had to catch up to him at some point.

Emotionally, I was pretty down after that game 4 loss.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Game 3 is what broke me at first; I was there for it, I thought the crowd was horsefeathering terrible the whole time, and I was convinced the Cubs were going to just absolutely destroy Tomlin. First WS game at Wrigley since 1945, they had just unleashed hell the game before, Hendricks was pitching AND the wind was howling out? I figured anything less than them winning something, like, 10-3 was going to be a disappointment. That half of my row, right up to next to me, was taken up by seemingly the only Cleveland fans in that part of the park made the end result even more unbearable. Even though they had made it to that point with being shut out in the playoffs, that they were now shut out yet again, in such a meaningful game in their favor, with Kluber lurking...that one REALLY deflated me. Game 4 seemed like such an uphill battle going into it that it didn't really bring me down...I hate to say it, but them losing that one just didn't surprise me at all.

But then acceptance kicked in, and I was weirdly zen for game 5. It just felt like they were going to win it no matter what. It was the only playoff game I felt almost no stress for leading up to it. After that, whatever happened would happen, and game 6 felt similarly in the bag. Game 7, however, had me a mess of nerves all over again the entire day.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:11 pm

I still don't understand the crowd complaints. Like, when there's nothing good to cheer about, what is the noise that's expected?

Yeah, I'll clap for a 3-2 pitch in a big spot or whatever but I'm only yelling out of excitement after a big play is actually executed. Game 3 was very boring and non-eventful. If Javy gets that walkoff hit, I'm sure the place would have been shaking.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:28 pm

David wrote:I still don't understand the crowd complaints. Like, when there's nothing good to cheer about, what is the noise that's expected?

No, I mean it sucked the WHOLE time, even before they were losing. Look, maybe my expectations were way off, but again, first horsefeathering WS game at Wrigley since WWII...I'm expecting the crowd to be losing their mind over EVERYTHING. Like, the roster announcement was one of the things I was most looking forward to because I was expecting to be part of a crowd just losing their damn minds as the bigger and bigger names were read off. Nope...might as well have just been Opening Day at best based on how the crowd reacted. I was all set to go bonkers over every little thing, from the anthem to Derrek Lee showing up with the Boys & Girls Club winner, but the crowd seemed nervous and timid the entire time.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:11 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:I still don't understand the crowd complaints. Like, when there's nothing good to cheer about, what is the noise that's expected?

No, I mean it sucked the WHOLE time, even before they were losing. Look, maybe my expectations were way off, but again, first horsefeathering WS game at Wrigley since WWII...I'm expecting the crowd to be losing their mind over EVERYTHING. Like, the roster announcement was one of the things I was most looking forward to because I was expecting to be part of a crowd just losing their damn minds as the bigger and bigger names were read off. Nope...might as well have just been Opening Day at best based on how the crowd reacted. I was all set to go bonkers over every little thing, from the anthem to Derrek Lee showing up with the Boys & Girls Club winner, but the crowd seemed nervous and timid the entire time.

this was not my experience at all; like the 3 good things that happened on offense everybody went absolutely bonkers over, even the Bill Murray stretch was a raucous affair
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:41 pm

Not as disappointing as when I was at the Bears/Packers NFC championship game, but pretty damn close.

But yeah, Bill Murray singing was the only time everything seemed to really come alive besides Hendricks' first strikeout.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Tim wrote:Intellectually, I knew the Cubs had a strong edge in games 5 & 6. Then we'd get Kluber going on short rest again, which had to catch up to him at some point.

Emotionally, I was pretty down after that game 4 loss.

I was bummed out too, but I pretty quickly moved to "If anyone can do this, this team can". I tend to the pessimism side more often than I should, but it never really happened with this team in October.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:17 am

yeah the tomlin game is what broke me. Figured if we couldn't win that game it wasn't in the cards for us. After game 6 i felt pretty relaxed about the whole deal because at least it wasn't an embarrassment.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:43 am

Festivus is dumb.
0 x

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:08 pm

The Pat Hughes' final out call was disappointing / underwhelming.
0 x

Return to “Rants”