It sucks

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

It sucks

Postby CubinNY » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:48 pm

About 5 years ago my mother-in law was diagnosed with Progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP). It's like a terrible combination of Parkinson's and ALS. She is slowly loosing the ability to control her muscles. Sometimes when she blinks she cannot get her eyes to open. She has to drink out of a straw because she cannot swallow. she needs to be in a wheel chair because she falls quite often and cannot get back up, but she still tries to walk with a walker. She is a gentle, very religious, wonderful former kindergarten teacher who I've never heard say a bad word about anyone.

Yesterday my father in-law went to the Dr. and we are pretty sure he is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s disease. I feel so bad for my wife.
Last edited by CubinNY on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dawson1989
Role Player

Re: It sucks

Postby dawson1989 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Ugh. Thread title says it all.
0 x
YES! it's me

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:01 pm

I really hate the idea of someday being an old bag of crap. My kids think I'm kidding, but I've told them for years to murder me if I ever hit 70.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:52 pm

My mom just turned 67 and my dad is about to turn 70. We've been very lucky with their health, physical and mental. My wife's mom, however, is deteriorating and we don't know why.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:16 pm

My grandfather got dementia in his mid to late 80s, I think, and was more or less an invalid infant by the time he passed away at 92. It was a little depressing to see, but he lived a great long life and it made it a little easier to celebrate his life rather than mourn when he died.

Sorry, CubinNY (and Mrs. CubinNY). I can't imagine much more depressing than that scenario.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:50 am

CubinNY wrote:About 5 years ago my mother-in law was diagnosed with Progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP). It's like a terrible combination of Parkinson's and ALS. She is slowly loosing the ability to control her muscles. Sometimes when she blinks she cannot get her eyes to open. She has to drink out of a straw because she cannot swallow. she needs to be in a wheel chair because she falls quite often and cannot get back up, but she still tries to walk with a walker. She is a gentle, very religious, wonderful former kindergarten teacher who I've never heard say a bad word about anyone.

Yesterday my father in-law went to the Dr. and we are pretty sure he is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s disease. I feel so bad for my wife.

If it makes you feel any better, my father died two weeks ago of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma that spread to his brain. At age 60.

I only knew my maternal grandfather, the rest all died decades ago.

Watching a slow deterioration (especially a mental one) of someone you've known and loved your entire life isn't something I'd ever wish to endure. Hopefully the more recent negative memories don't start to overshadow the previous positive ones.

Despite our differences, you have my sympathy.
0 x

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:13 am

Grandfather died today after several months of "we're not trying to kill him, but if he gets sick, we're not doing anything about it" care

I just wish he had woken up while I was there before the end.
0 x
We are doomed.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:04 am

Sorry for your loss
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Careless wrote:Grandfather died today after several months of "we're not trying to kill him, but if he gets sick, we're not doing anything about it" care

I just wish he had woken up while I was there before the end.

When my Dad went into hospice, it was basically the same situation. He called out my name because he wanted something that he couldn't have (ice chips?) and was so delirious that I guess he thought that somehow I'd be able to help him. It was pretty heartbreaking.

Sorry for your loss.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:05 am

Sorry for your loss, Careless.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Return to “Rants”