Health Insurance BULL horsefeathers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Health Insurance BULL horsefeathers

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:05 am

I am so horsefeathering furious.

I work for a company valued at something like $13 billion dollars, and all of their health care plans are varying degrees of HOT GARBAGE.

Seriously, I had infinitely better health care working for a failing bookstore chain that loved nothing more than shooting itself in the gut at every opportunity.

So my deductible is a horsefeathers ass $1600 (and yeah, I know other people have it worse. I'm sorry; this sucks even more for you, and that's not cool), and my company tries to act like they offset it by making us jump through hoops. "Oh, if you sign up for a health savings account and put in at least $X amount each pay check, we'll put $600 in there!" Fine, whatever; easy enough, and an HSA isn't a terrible thing to have. But that's still a grand I have to pay off before insurance kicks in (and that includes horsefeathering PRESCRIPTIONS, which is some extra horse horsefeathers).

The other way they try to act like they're doing us a favor in trying to lower the cost of their [expletive] plans is if you get a "biometeic screening." Basically you have to print out a form and take it to your doctor when you get a physical. The doctor fills out the info, the office faxes it in to a company which manages the data for a health rewards points nonsense thing for ANOTHER company (that's neither my employer nor the insurance company). You do this by the end of the year, and the health rewards company gives you 50k in points you can cash in for a $500 Visa gift card. FINE, combine that with the $600 and it technically, arguably makes the deductible $500 (they act like they're doing us a favor instead of just, y'know, OFFERING BETTER horsefeathering HEALTH CARE PLANS).

The first two years I do this gift card [expletive], I don't get my physical until December or even January of the next year during the short grace period you can do it and have it still count for the year before. horsefeathers gets faxed in, and I get the gift card by February. This year I get my physical right at the beginning of November, wanting to avoid the last minute rush since the health rewards company is switching the company they use to manage the biometric screening bull horsefeathers.

But hey, I get horsefeathers anyway! My doctor's office faxes the info in twice, get confirmation it was received both times....and then nothing happens. I check my health rewards account come January...no points. Been spending the last two weeks trying to contact this health rewards company, pointing out that this horsefeathers got horsefeathers up out of my control, I have the documents to show when it was sent in, asking them to make it right and credit me the points, and they keep just coming back with variations of, "oooh, yeah; this is the reason we've switched to a new company. Sounds like they didn't get the data to us in time, or they didn't process it correctly...well, shouldn't be a problem with the new company in 2019! Good luck! Sorry they horsefeathers it up, but it's out of our hands since we don't deal with them anymore!"

horsefeathers NO. GIVE ME MY horsefeathering POINTS. I NEED THAT $500 TO GO TOWARDS MY horsefeathering [expletive] horsefeathering DEDUCTIBLE.

horsefeathers health insurance.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Health Insurance BULL horsefeathers

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:24 am

I personally like the higher deductible, lower premium plans, but sounds like your Co isn't giving you options which definitely sucks. Also the weird biometric thing.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:29 am

Agreed. I pay a 1200 premium for my healthy family of 4 through Obamacare, and its the absolute cheapest plan I can get.

The insurance is through a company that shares a name with a Kevin Spacey movie villain. My wife has a sty on her eye lid that has slowly been growing larger ever since she was a kid. The last time it was checked out 10 years ago, they said it wasn't anything to worry about, but that for the next check up a biopsy wouldn't be a bad idea. She goes to have it checked out and the doctors recommended to lance it and do some tests. The lancing goes fine...but then they LOSE THE SAMPLE IN THE LAB. They also still want us to pay for the proceedure they recommended even though they blew any chance to tell if it was CANCEROUS or not. This country is seriously messed up. The fact that Russia is the only country that is described as oligarchial is such a f-in joke.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:32 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:I personally like the higher deductible, lower premium plans, but sounds like your Co isn't giving you options which definitely sucks. Also the weird biometric thing.

Normally I wouldn't mind it, too, but all of our options are varying degrees of crappiness. I have to constantly be looking for doctors or procedures or facilities that are in-network; you drop the ball on one and they'll pounce on that as an excuse to pay for almost nothing. Prescriptions are a real crapshoot, too; god help you if there's not a generic available, and even if there is, until the deductible is paid off you're paying a LOT since those are lumped in.

And yeah, the biometric thing seems shady as hell. It's ostensibly so that this rewards company can act like a fitness tracker for you...but I don't want to horsefeathering do that. But I end up giving away more of my privacy because it'll pay almost a third of my deductible, which I need paid off ASAP since I need to have multiple medical visits each year even when everything is going RIGHT.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 am

Seems to me you should be celebrating the fact your employer is worth $13 billion. Corporate bottom line is what matters dude.

/greenfont
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:42 am

Man I hate health insurance. When my kid was born, I apparently didn't pay attention to the fact that although my wife's ob/gyn was in network, the hospital that his office is at...is not. So after our kid was born, we got a huge bill for out of network services. I had to jump through tons of hoops and basically send a "please help me" letter to my insurance company explaining why I thought they should pay. Amazingly, they did pay most of it. I still owed a couple thousand, which may have been my deductible at the time...I don't remember for sure...but it was still more than I was expecting to have to pay with a newborn.

And I know this is FAR from the worst healthcare story ever told...but it messed us up pretty bad financially for a long time, since we were living paycheck to paycheck with a newborn at the time.

This country NEEDS single payer healthcare. It should be free to have a kid. It should be free to die (not even talking about funeral services or taxes here). And [expletive] horsefeathering cancer should be mother horsefeathering free. You have enough to worry about with the CANCER.
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:56 am

And cheap insurance through the government is clearly a thing. My brother in law is a state trooper, and his insurance makes pretty much everything free. My sister had a baby right around the same time that we had our second kid, and while we paid a couple thousand out of pocket, my sister (who had a c-section and was in the hospital twice as long) paid like $5.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:17 pm

My family deductible was like 6400 both times we had a kid, so, yeah.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:My family deductible was like 6400 both times we had a kid, so, yeah.

I feel like for a lot of young people, having a kid is the first time they really learn about how much health insurance sucks....how much of a hassle it is...and how when you have medical services done, you get bills from like 10 different places that want your money.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Banedon wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:My family deductible was like 6400 both times we had a kid, so, yeah.

I feel like for a lot of young people, having a kid is the first time they really learn about how much health insurance sucks....how much of a hassle it is...and how when you have medical services done, you get bills from like 10 different places that want your money.

Its definitely a learning experience, and you also have to learn to be your own advocate. There was one bill in particular we got that my wife was gonna pay, but it didn't really seem right the charges they were billing. Took only one call luckily, but it was cleared up. I think a lot on confusion with billing existed solely around the change from single to single+child coverage because you can't add your child beforehand so there is inevitably a lag time plus all the changes to the annual limits and such... Probably at least 3 bills we asked them to re-bill after my son was in the insurance.

I'd encourage really young people to get an HSA qualifying plan if they are relatively healthy when they get their first insurance AND start making as much contributions as you can handle. I started out at like $50 a month when I couldn't afford much else, but since I was only using my free annual physical (if that even) I slowly built up a reserve. That initial $50 a month was probably the difference in the monthly premiums anyways. Now going into any particular year, I have my annual deductible already in the bank and I can afford to max out my current deductions as well. Changing jobs in a few months and just hope an HSA option still exists. If not though, I've at least built up a nice reserve and also just gotten in the habit of knowing I need to save for medical expenses well down the line. Obviously a major illness could eat up those reserves quickly, but if it was a long term issue I could at least last a year and then switch over to a low deductible plan.

I realize that plan required me the good fortune of being and staying healthy, but it's not a bad plan to take. A lot of young people might take the HSA plan cuz it's cheaper premium, but not make any contributions. DON'T DO THAT.

I also feel lucky that I've always had BCBS IL coverage in all my jobs, which is really good coverage, and haven't had issues with in network and out if betwork care. Also for the love of God people, don't get an HMO option.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Its definitely a learning experience, and you also have to learn to be your own advocate. There was one bill in particular we got that my wife was gonna pay, but it didn't really seem right the charges they were billing. Took only one call luckily, but it was cleared up. I think a lot on confusion with billing existed solely around the change from single to single+child coverage because you can't add your child beforehand so there is inevitably a lag time plus all the changes to the annual limits and such... Probably at least 3 bills we asked them to re-bill after my son was in the insurance.

Yeah, that's been a big part of the learning curve for me from moving from really good coverage to iffy coverage at best; getting stuff re-submitted and re-billed over and over again. The company sending the bill can't do that unless I request it. My insurance company can't accept me requesting it to be re-billed unless I've received an actual statement or bill. Insurance company projects I should only pay $X. Billing company disagrees and says they were denied what they want. horsefeathers drags out for months. All because the anesthesia service is technically an LLC out of network and my insurance company covers, like, NO anesthesia companies outside of a tiny, tiny handful, and regardless that the doctor, procedures and facility are all in network.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Its definitely a learning experience, and you also have to learn to be your own advocate. There was one bill in particular we got that my wife was gonna pay, but it didn't really seem right the charges they were billing. Took only one call luckily, but it was cleared up. I think a lot on confusion with billing existed solely around the change from single to single+child coverage because you can't add your child beforehand so there is inevitably a lag time plus all the changes to the annual limits and such... Probably at least 3 bills we asked them to re-bill after my son was in the insurance.

Yeah, that's been a big part of the learning curve for me from moving from really good coverage to iffy coverage at best; getting stuff re-submitted and re-billed over and over again. The company sending the bill can't do that unless I request it. My insurance company can't accept me requesting it to be re-billed unless I've received an actual statement or bill. Insurance company projects I should only pay $X. Billing company disagrees and says they were denied what they want. horsefeathers drags out for months. All because the anesthesia service is technically an LLC out of network and my insurance company covers, like, NO anesthesia companies outside of a tiny, tiny handful, and regardless that the doctor, procedures and facility are all in network.

Out network is really broad, so yes I can only imagine it's even worse with a narrower network.

That reminds me, we still have one bill that may be outstanding. We opted for the highest level of genetic testing because my sister had tested positive for a serious genetic tracer. So doctor says no problem, it will be covered because of that.

We get a bill for nearly 6 figures! We freaked out, and it had information about objecting it, which we started to plan out. Before go to the insurance though, we call the genetic testing company and they say, "no no, you're not supposed to object it. Well do the objection and you can only object once so if you object we can't .... They shouldn't have even sent you that bill. Worst case you'll pay a few hundred dollars" So in what universe was that 5 figure number anything other than a pretend number that doesn't mean anything?

So other learning experience.. Always call the provider first! Or for things that aren't immediate needa, call around to providers beforehand and shop around as much as you can.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Banedon wrote:

I was lucky enough to have both of mine when I had awesome insurance. I think I paid $50 and $100 for my kids because I had a plan with no deductibles and child birth was billed the same as an ER visit. where I felt it was the first time I didn't read the details at the open enrollment when my $2500 deductible was introduced and I needed surgery.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Banedon wrote:This country NEEDS single payer healthcare. It should be free to have a kid. It should be free to die (not even talking about funeral services or taxes here). And [expletive] horsefeathering cancer should be mother horsefeathering free. You have enough to worry about with the CANCER.

My father was a university professor, and during my sister's last year of college, the two of them spent a semester at a sister university in Japan. During their stay there, my father had a heart attack. After he was out of danger, and recovering, he started asking folks at the hospital about insurance and expenses. The people there was appalled that an elderly man who had just suffered a heart attack was worrying about medical bills. They refused to talk to him about it. When they realized how much stress it was causing him, they finally agreed to talk to my sister about it. Our whole concept of healthcare is so horsefeathers...
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:07 pm

I just ignore every letter I get from insurance company or providers until they go away. Seems to work.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:51 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:We get a bill for nearly 6 figures! We freaked out, and it had information about objecting it, which we started to plan out. Before go to the insurance though, we call the genetic testing company and they say, "no no, you're not supposed to object it. Well do the objection and you can only object once so if you object we can't .... They shouldn't have even sent you that bill. Worst case you'll pay a few hundred dollars" So in what universe was that 5 figure number anything other than a pretend number that doesn't mean anything?

Yup, same thing happens to me all the time. I'll get these insane pre-insurance statements, and THEN my insurance company tackles it. Sometimes they send me a letter advising me not to pay the full amount (no horsefeathers, guys) and what I SHOULD pay, but the numbers are still appalling, especially for certain prescriptions.

So other learning experience.. Always call the provider first! Or for things that aren't immediate needa, call around to providers beforehand and shop around as much as you can.

Yeah, I went from an insurance setup where I didn't even have to think about who was seeing to now I am always checking to see who or what is in-network because it is too easy to get screwed. And even if the website says it's covered, I still call both the doctor's office and my insurance provider to confirm.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Who was the dude who posted here who worked in health insurance, and one of his biggest arguments against single payer was how it would eliminate insurance-based jobs.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Who was the dude who posted here who worked in health insurance, and one of his biggest arguments against single payer was how it would eliminate insurance-based jobs.

Man, I know what you're talking about but can't find it...
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:18 pm

he's prolly to busy to post anymore
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:34 pm

I wanna say it was that stuy911 guy, or whatever his name was. Probably buried in one of the gargantuan politics threads.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:41 pm

My favorite part of that whole insurance/birth experience was that even though my daughter was born in February, things got screwed up getting submitted, which we didn't find out until like August. There was a number of back and forths between the hospital (who claimed they submitted it a million times) and insurance (who claimed they never got it), with me unfortunately playing middle man. It eventually pushed into the next year, so I looked at the bright side and was like, hey, a year of no deductible since it should already be covered; let's go get a bunch of medical stuff done. I should've known better. When it finally went through, the payment was back dated to, you guessed it, 12-31. It all needs to be blown up, because it sucks.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I wanna say it was that stuy911 guy, or whatever his name was. Probably buried in one of the gargantuan politics threads.

Yeah, he does/did work for Aflac, so he was my thought too...I just couldn't find the specific posts.

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/archiv ... e9#p785167
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I wanna say it was that stuy911 guy, or whatever his name was. Probably buried in one of the gargantuan politics threads.

Yeah, he does/did work for Aflac, so he was my thought too...I just couldn't find the specific posts.

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/archiv ... e9#p785167

from that post:

"it's nice to have people tell you that they are able to concentrate on getting better since they don't have to worry about putting food on the table, excess co-pays, etc."

yea it would be. That's why we want a single-payer system you horsefeathering stooge
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Aflac still confuses the hell out of me. It sounds like a step up from a JG Wentworth-type deal, I guess.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:25 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Aflac still confuses the hell out of me. It sounds like a step up from a JG Wentworth-type deal, I guess.

It's insurance for having insurance (covers deductibles, basically). AFLAC was more relevant when pre-existing conditions were a thing, but they refused to ensure my mom because she had cancer. So, long story short horsefeathers AFLAC, the duck, BCBS, UHC, Humana, Tricare, and all other insurance companies. They all play stupid horsefeathering games with people's lives and because they own most state legislatures its all perfectly legal.
1 x

Return to “Rants”