Wife’s TV watching habits

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 72704
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1464
x 3196

Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 pm

My wife has the uncanny ability to watch the same stuff over and over on TV. Coupled with the fact that she likes bad things, it’s a maddening thing to live with.

Her go-to “turn something on but don’t really pay attention to it” show is Big Bang Theory, and she has seen every episode a dozen times. The show is awful, it’s on all the horsefeathering time, and when it’s on, my wife is usually just scrolling on her phone.

She can also watch the same movies multiple times. Showtime has been playing “My Girl” a lot, and she has probably watched it four times in the past week.

The only other tv in the house is in the bedroom, but I don’t have any devices to stream MLB.tv or HBO Go up there (plus the WiFi is awful in that room).

I can’t be the only person married to/dating someone with awful TV habits
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 72704
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1464
x 3196

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 pm

In before “this belongs in the Divorce thread” jokes
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Old Town
x 456
x 404

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Image
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2518
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 4020
x 980

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby cl smooth » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 pm

would she be open to watching stuff on a tablet/ipad/laptop instead of your living room tv? my girlfriend and i like about 90-95% of the same tv shows but if there's something i'm not interested in (euphoria, queer eye, etc.), she'll go in the bedroom with our macbook and just watch it by herself.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 72704
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1464
x 3196

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:35 pm

cl smooth wrote:would she be open to watching stuff on a tablet/ipad/laptop instead of your living room tv? my girlfriend and i like about 90-95% of the same tv shows but if there's something i'm not interested in (euphoria, queer eye, etc.), she'll go in the bedroom with our macbook and just watch it by herself.


The maddening thing is that most of the time, she's watching OTHER videos on her phone, but if I change the channel, she's all "hey, I'm watching that"
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14441
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2643
x 1635

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:45 pm

Real Housewifes Orange County
Real Housewifes LA
Real Housewifes NYC
Keeping up with the Kardashians
Teen Mom

Theres probably some scripted shows too (mostly CW or Freeform type shows) , but those reality shows are by far the crappiest of shows she watches.

Luckily she doesn't re-watch episodes, so at least I can see the new ways in which these awful people awful each time I end up watching with her.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35487
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1035
x 7276

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:48 pm

My dumb girlfriend constantly watches the real housewives. I’m convinced there are only 2 episodes: one where women are yelling at each other and the other where they sit on couches and some guy with notecards asks them about all of their insanity and they yell at each other. I make her go to the bedroom to watch TV.
0 x
Image

Janelle-Alexis
Role Player
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:52 am
x 7
x 134

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Janelle-Alexis » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:34 pm

Derwood wrote:I can’t be the only person married to/dating someone with awful TV habits


No. Your wife is married to someone who watches the Cubs night after night.
8 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14441
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2643
x 1635

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 pm

Janelle-Alexis wrote:
Derwood wrote:I can’t be the only person married to/dating someone with awful TV habits


No. Your wife is married to someone who watches the Cubs night after night.

Doubtful she cares about that. It's "Who's husband spends all their time on message boards?". Except she doesn't have a message board to post it to.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84229
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15079
x 17471

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:07 am

Janelle-Alexis wrote:
Derwood wrote:I can’t be the only person married to/dating someone with awful TV habits


No. Your wife is married to someone who watches the Cubs night after night.


Image
2 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68198
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6831
x 6582

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Banedon » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Everybody has awful tv habits depending on who is in the room with them. I'm sure you watch some stuff she doesn't like too. My wife and I both tv shame each other playfully...I give her crap for watching Dr Phil too much...she gives me crap for watching the DC shows on CW. And neither of us pretend we're watching great tv. And we both have things we can watch together...so meh.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84229
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15079
x 17471

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:14 pm

I can never judge my SO's TV watching based solely on how often I just leave on all-day marathons of any of the Law & Order shows.
1 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14441
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2643
x 1635

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Banedon wrote:Everybody has awful tv habits depending on who is in the room with them. I'm sure you watch some stuff she doesn't like too. My wife and I both tv shame each other playfully...I give her crap for watching Dr Phil too much...she gives me crap for watching the DC shows on CW. And neither of us pretend we're watching great tv. And we both have things we can watch together...so meh.

Oh she hates a ton of my shows, basically any sitcom that I watch (B99, Good Place, Orville). If there is one that I used to watch a bit obsessively that she really hated though it was re-runs of Good Eats, even after I had seen almost all of them once.

Then there's the half a dozen dramas or streaming series we watch together.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61968
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3362
x 11732

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:37 pm

we basically only watch shows together.

On her maternity leave summer she got into the bachelor but never watches that stuff anymore.

When I have softball or some other night time activity, she'll watch a greys/this is us/scandal marathon. But she's not religious about it. I've had my random shows I'd watch when she's not around, one of which was Bosch, and now she's into it so we're in season 2.

The one show I'm currently into that she is not is The Expanse, but she watched the final 20 minutes of an episode recently and said, "well if that what this is like I'd be into it".

We never have "leave it on in the background TV" anymore.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84229
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15079
x 17471

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:we basically only watch shows together.


Yeah, it feels pretty shallow to say that something like, "oh, that we pretty much love, like, 90% of the same TV shows/movies/music/podcasts is a big-ish reason I can see spending the rest of my life with this person"...but, uh, it's kinda true.
1 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61968
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3362
x 11732

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:we basically only watch shows together.


Yeah, it feels pretty shallow to say that something like, "oh, that we pretty much love, like, 90% of the same TV shows/movies/music/podcasts is a big-ish reason I can see spending the rest of my life with this person"...but, uh, it's kinda true.

Oh she hates when I reference anything related to any podcast.

Except she does like the story behind Hey Nong Man, and All Joking A Salad. I did take her to a live Comedy Bang Bang Show and she enjoyed it. Don't think I'd ever get her to enjoy Hollywood Handbook, but a How Did This Get Made would probably work.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84229
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15079
x 17471

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:we basically only watch shows together.


Yeah, it feels pretty shallow to say that something like, "oh, that we pretty much love, like, 90% of the same TV shows/movies/music/podcasts is a big-ish reason I can see spending the rest of my life with this person"...but, uh, it's kinda true.

Oh she hates when I reference anything related to any podcast.

Except she does like the story behind Hey Nong Man, and All Joking A Salad. I did take her to a live Comedy Bang Bang Show and she enjoyed it. Don't think I'd ever get her to enjoy Hollywood Handbook, but a How Did This Get Made would probably work.


Man, my girlfriend had already bought us tickets to the CBB show in Chicago before I even had a chance to ask her if she had seen that they had announced it.

I was tempted to marry her right then and there.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 80835
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3401
x 5342
Contact:

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:53 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Real Housewifes Orange County
Real Housewifes LA
Real Housewifes NYC
Keeping up with the Kardashians
Teen Mom

Theres probably some scripted shows too (mostly CW or Freeform type shows) , but those reality shows are by far the crappiest of shows she watches.

Luckily she doesn't re-watch episodes, so at least I can see the new ways in which these awful people awful each time I end up watching with her.


God all these and more for my wife. She hasn't been watching the Kardashian shows or Teen Mom as much lately, but I think she'd watch Real Housewives of Butte, Montana if they made one. On top of those she obsessively watches Chicago Fire/PD (meh), Below Deck, that Vanderpump show and Law and Order SVU. Our TV habits do not align at all... I tried to get her into some prestige TV even though I've already seen the shows and she thinks Mad Men is boring, Breaking Bad is stupid, Handmaid's Tale is too unrealistic, etc.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 72704
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1464
x 3196

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Derwood » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:03 pm

My wife's go-to shows:

Big Bang Theory
Dr Pimple Popper
Frontier Woman
Catfish
Any show about rich people in the south

Movies she watches over and over and over:

The Twilight series
Bring it On
Steel Magnolias
Every Pixar movie (which are great, but I don't need to see Finding Nemo four times a week)
Pretty Woman
My Girl
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61968
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3362
x 11732

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:05 pm

My wife refuses to rewatch any movie other than some 80s flicks she wanted to get the girls into, Grease, Dirty Dancing, Goonies, etc.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
PackLandVA
All-Star
Posts: 2786
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Location: Baking in Southern Arizona
x 574
x 596

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby PackLandVA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Get a new TV. Or a new wife. The new TV would be a lot cheaper.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35487
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1035
x 7276

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:37 pm

I will watch every Lethal Weapon movie when I see it on IFC, and she always says something about it. She was gone one day, and her dad stopped by. He looked at the TV and said "ooh, I love these movies" so we sat and watched together. She walked in later and saw what was on, and we both told her we didn't want any of her horsefeathers and that we were only on the 3rd one.
1 x
Image

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2518
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 4020
x 980

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby cl smooth » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I will watch every Lethal Weapon movie when I see it on IFC, and she always says something about it. She was gone one day, and her dad stopped by. He looked at the TV and said "ooh, I love these movies" so we sat and watched together. She walked in later and saw what was on, and we both told her we didn't want any of her horsefeathers and that we were only on the 3rd one.


seems to me she's getting too old for that horsefeathers.
1 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35487
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1035
x 7276

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:09 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I will watch every Lethal Weapon movie when I see it on IFC, and she always says something about it. She was gone one day, and her dad stopped by. He looked at the TV and said "ooh, I love these movies" so we sat and watched together. She walked in later and saw what was on, and we both told her we didn't want any of her horsefeathers and that we were only on the 3rd one.


seems to me she's getting too old for that horsefeathers.

It certainly can't help that I yell "RIIIIIIGGGS" every time Murtaugh does, which is a lot.
1 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61968
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3362
x 11732

Re: Wife’s TV watching habits

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:10 pm

you ever leave her a note on the toilet paper roll?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.


Return to “Rants”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests