Covid rants

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Covid rants

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:50 am

As to not junk up the covid thread on real pertinent info I just want to rant about covid idiots. Rant here about covid idiots (except any Facebook rants, we know everything on Facebook sucks).

In a ongoing group text with friends, the topic of Georgia lifting restrictions for covid came up as the one guys is in Atlanta. One of my friends goes on a full on "personal freedom" style rant. It's frustrating because he's a friend who I for a long time felt was one of my more selfless friends in many regards, but more than any conservative friend I have has waded into Trupism more than any other. But listening to his total ignorance or disregard was frustrating. I simply told him that individuals making personal decisions wasn't really the point. I didn't even get to extrapolating that it's about risk you put others in the more we increase interaction, yada yada yada. And in a matter of minutes he brought up an issue of hospitals losing revenue (which is pretty unrelated to how/when restrictions are lifted on public/consumer businesses start back up), tried to discredit my thoughts cuz I'm from Cook County, and then comparing people who are in favor of continued restrictions to Nazi Germany, and finally telling the Atlanta guy to do whatever the hell he wants (while "exercising caution". I'll give him that he's not a full on denier of covid but thinks the risks are personal issues only) . I had to just tell him to horsefeathers off after the Nazi part finally, and he proceeds to say I had "called him out". From the guy who rapid fired 3 fallacies including 2 ad hominen attacks at me. So I told him to horsefeathers off again. And hell I couldn't even get into a serious discussion about how we start to lift restrictions, me and the Atlanta guy and were mostly just discussing the specifics around the lift (which is of course still mostly unclear to Georgia residents!)

We have our standing weekly zoom call on Thursday and I'm waffling between ignoring it and letting it go or appealing to some of his religious leanings to try and make him understand the point (the topic ended up falling off pretty quick so at this point I don't even know what percentage he's ignorant or just callous about it all).

I already ranted to my wife, but I guess wanted to rant into the internet void to yall.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Re: Covid rants

Postby wvcbxl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:10 am

No Oktoberfest in Munich this autumn - it is now officially time to revolt!
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:46 pm

The “Don’t Tread on Me” libertarian types really are the worst kind of people.

“horsefeathers you, I’ve got mine” is a pretty lousy to look at things during a global crisis
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Derwood wrote:The “Don’t Tread on Me” libertarian types really are the worst kind of people.

“horsefeathers you, I’ve got mine” is a pretty lousy to look at things during a global crisis

He's definitely not even a libertarian. He's just a horsefeathering GOP goober/bootlicker at this point.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:57 pm

I haven't been able to travel, and my girlfriend has been working from home as well. One of us is likely to end up dead.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I haven't been able to travel, and my girlfriend has been working from home as well. One of us is likely to end up dead.

Divorces and kids should increase after this horsefeathers.

Personally, it delayed my plans of moving on.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:53 pm

I knew my parents weren't/aren't *great* people, but I had no idea my mom was "Nurses shouldn't get any extra pay or even applause, this is their job and they knew what they signed up for" levels of awful.
4 x

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:35 pm

My 70+ year old parents are seriously considering heading from Chicago to NC in a few days to stay with my sister's family for a few weeks.

I get that my parents feel cooped up and bored, but ugh. That's not an easy drive to do in a day.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:45 am

Outshined_One wrote:My 70+ year old parents are seriously considering heading from Chicago to NC in a few days to stay with my sister's family for a few weeks.

I get that my parents feel cooped up and bored, but ugh. That's not an easy drive to do in a day.

Where in NC out of curiosity?

Also, no, depending on where in NC that is probably easily 12+ hours for sure. Perhaps much longer
0 x

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:37 pm

weis21 wrote:
Outshined_One wrote:My 70+ year old parents are seriously considering heading from Chicago to NC in a few days to stay with my sister's family for a few weeks.

Also, no, depending on where in NC that is probably easily 12+ hours for sure. Perhaps much longer

Just outside of Charlotte, so not as bad as it was a decade ago (Raleigh), but all that needs to happen on a given day is a heavy thunderstorm to force them off the road and into a hotel...
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:25 pm

Outshined_One wrote:
weis21 wrote:

Just outside of Charlotte, so not as bad as it was a decade ago (Raleigh), but all that needs to happen on a given day is a heavy thunderstorm to force them off the road and into a hotel...

and where will they pee?
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Due to the removal of elective surgeries, my sister's hospital is crying poor. So to reduce their expenses they have decided it's a good idea to remove everyone's annual raise, cancel all 401k matching and refuse all hazard pay. Needless to say, many are planning to relocate as soon. As feasible.
0 x

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:38 pm

stitchface wrote:
Outshined_One wrote:
weis21 wrote:Where in NC out of curiosity?

and where will they pee?

I'd be tempted to ask them that question if they weren't my parents...
0 x

DonnieD
Starter

Postby DonnieD » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:00 pm

stitchface wrote:and where will they pee?

Depends
5 x
"WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:23 pm

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:31 pm

I love the brain genius that planned a military flyover for people to gather outside and stare into the sky in the first gorgeous weather in a week while trying to keep people indoors

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:38 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Derwood wrote:The “Don’t Tread on Me” libertarian types really are the worst kind of people.

He's definitely not even a libertarian. He's just a horsefeathering GOP goober/bootlicker at this point.

Yes, but that is the libertarian point of view. Nothing matters unless it affects them directly and anything that affects them directly is the only thing that matters. LIbertarians are simply selfish horsefeathers who use a bankrupt philosophy of government to support their own selfishness.

I have a similar zoom meeting with some people in my field who are all bourbon drinkers, we call the meeting the "bourbon special interest group". One of the guys is a libertarian and he's was bitching about not getting the PPP funds for his business. When I mentioned to him that disasters like this are the reason libertarian style of government is unworkable he got really pissed off. I think for the first time, he saw the hypocrisy in his behavior. He compensated by getting pissed off at me. I"m not joining the next meeting because I don't need the [expletive].
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 pm

The stories that I used to tell people were once varied and well-rounded. Now they all start the same way.

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7158a2c8-cec4-4d08-bc3d-cf182466fdc8
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu May 07, 2020 5:30 pm

GrubHub has been one of the grossest (or at least publicly gross) companies during this crisis, so nice to see a bit of karma.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu May 07, 2020 5:45 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/business/status/1258442485187121154?s=19

GrubHub has been one of the grossest (or at least publicly gross) companies during this crisis, so nice to see a bit of karma.

This might well have been covered somewhere but if anyone orders from one of your local restaurants, understand that if you are getting delivery via a GrubHub of Door Dash type app, many of those services are getting a roughly 30% cut of the tab. If it is at all an option, try to get delivery straight from the restaurant or go to pick it up yourself.
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:47 pm

NOLA wrote:
Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/business/status/1258442485187121154?s=19

This might well have been covered somewhere but if anyone orders from one of your local restaurants, understand that if you are getting delivery via a GrubHub of Door Dash type app, many of those services are getting a roughly 30% cut of the tab. If it is at all an option, try to get delivery straight from the restaurant or go to pick it up yourself.

0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri May 08, 2020 12:58 am

UK wrote:Personally, it delayed my plans of moving on.

Yea, me too
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 pm

I am so over my mother-in-law.

We've got a one month old daughter born during the middle of this. Babies don't have an immune system for six months or so. Understandably, we've been keeping her locked down during a global pandemic. Nobody in or out.

But with things improving in Illinois, my wife and I talked it out and agreed to let the grandparents finally hold their grandchild once Phase 3 begins. We did have some additional restrictions -- we didn't want people rushing out and doing the high risk stuff like barbers and BBQs where you're so close the mask is ineffective or you're just removing it so often to eat/drink that it isn't doing horsefeathers. But that's reasonable. We were basically told to treat our daughter like you would any other high-risk individual and not expose them to any more than is necessary.

We told the grandparents last week. My parents agreed. Her parents agreed. No BBQs, haircuts, etc... My wife is over the moon. We could be a big family again.

Well, today we get an email from my mother-in-law that they've decided our restrictions are too much. Her husband wants a haircut. She wants to go back to church.

They couldn't wait TWO MORE F@%!#$& DAYS and meet their grandchild.

Now my wife is upstairs in bed bawling. Her mother always pulls this horsefeathers any time we try to establish boundaries, and my wife always lets her walk all over us. But this time I'm not backing down because it's a global pandemic and my daughter's life is on the line.

So now I'm the freaking bad guy, just for sticking to the same rules all 8 of us had been in agreement about yesterday.

Screw that manipulative bitch.
5 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Rob wrote:I am so over my mother-in-law.

We've got a one month old daughter born during the middle of this. Babies don't have an immune system for six months or so. Understandably, we've been keeping her locked down during a global pandemic. Nobody in or out.

But with things improving in Illinois, my wife and I talked it out and agreed to let the grandparents finally hold their grandchild once Phase 3 begins. We did have some additional restrictions -- we didn't want people rushing out and doing the high risk stuff like barbers and BBQs where you're so close the mask is ineffective or you're just removing it so often to eat/drink that it isn't doing horsefeathers. But that's reasonable. We were basically told to treat our daughter like you would any other high-risk individual and not expose them to any more than is necessary.

We told the grandparents last week. My parents agreed. Her parents agreed. No BBQs, haircuts, etc... My wife is over the moon. We could be a big family again.

Well, today we get an email from my mother-in-law that they've decided our restrictions are too much. Her husband wants a haircut. She wants to go back to church.

Now my wife is upstairs in bed bawling. Her mother always pulls this horsefeathers any time we try to establish boundaries, and my wife always lets her walk all over us. But this time I'm not backing down because it's a global pandemic and my daughter's life is on the line.

So now I'm the freaking bad guy, just for sticking to the same rules all 8 of us had been in agreement about yesterday.

Yep, set and keep the boundaries now, because even after COVID time, this type of stuff ain't going to change.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:02 pm

Rob wrote:I am so over my mother-in-law.

Six month old here, but he's taking oxygen at night, pre-cautionary, because his windpipe is growing in a little tight. All the growth and everything has been fine, kid's a champ, but reading about all the ventilator shortages and people not catching their breath for two weeks freaked us the horsefeathers out. Dealing with that, and how to deal with our families around all this, has honestly been the most frustrating part. Feeling like you're asking them some huge favor to take a little more precaution than normal (even though the parents are all over 60), and then on the flip side feeling like the world's biggest horsefeathers telling your parents they can't hold their first grandkid. All the while me and my wife both working from home with him already crawling into every sharp corner he can find, knowing my mom has offered multiple times to come watch him. Fun horsefeathering times man.

Setting aside the science and the levels of precaution and all that, I think Judas touched on the more important point, which has been tough for me too with it being the first kid. It's your kid, you set the rules, and everyone should respect them regardless of how overcautious they might seem to someone.
1 x

Return to “Rants”