Western Medicine

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 16564
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 884
x 568

Re: Western Medicine

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Cubbie Swagger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/Diet-and-attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder


I gave you too much credit thinking you weren't going to make this mistake.

The idea that diet impacts certain symptoms of ADHD has actually been around for over a decade and is pretty widely agreed on at this point. There is not, however, any evidence that diet choices actually CAUSES ADHD.

Look at it this way: you get diagnosed with high blood pressure and you find that eating very spicy food exacerbates it and causes your blood pressure to spike. Spicy foods are impacting the symptoms of your high blood pressure. Spicy foods did not, however, CAUSE you to develop high blood pressure.

What on earth...

I'm still of the belief that ADHD is only a set of symptoms. You seem to view this label as a physical thing that you can hold in your hand. Even that article you linked about the brain differences wasn't conclusive. None of that is proven fact.

If you make the symptoms go away, you don't have ADHD. Just like I'm not epileptic, because I don't have seizures.


You sound like my acupuncturist. I don't know that I agree fully, but I do think there is more to medical conditions then wham big pharma throws out there. For instance, the number of times and amount of Vicodin and Percocet I've been prescribed and subsequently thrown away is interesting. I can take about 3 days of that, and it's enough. I don't need a 30 day supply
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cubbie Swagger
All-Star
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 am
x 75
x 21

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Sun May 01, 2016 8:24 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
I gave you too much credit thinking you weren't going to make this mistake.

The idea that diet impacts certain symptoms of ADHD has actually been around for over a decade and is pretty widely agreed on at this point. There is not, however, any evidence that diet choices actually CAUSES ADHD.

Look at it this way: you get diagnosed with high blood pressure and you find that eating very spicy food exacerbates it and causes your blood pressure to spike. Spicy foods are impacting the symptoms of your high blood pressure. Spicy foods did not, however, CAUSE you to develop high blood pressure.

What on earth...

I'm still of the belief that ADHD is only a set of symptoms. You seem to view this label as a physical thing that you can hold in your hand. Even that article you linked about the brain differences wasn't conclusive. None of that is proven fact.

If you make the symptoms go away, you don't have ADHD. Just like I'm not epileptic, because I don't have seizures.


You sound like my acupuncturist. I don't know that I agree fully, but I do think there is more to medical conditions then wham big pharma throws out there. For instance, the number of times and amount of Vicodin and Percocet I've been prescribed and subsequently thrown away is interesting. I can take about 3 days of that, and it's enough. I don't need a 30 day supply

The joke is on you for throwing away perfectly good drugs.
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 16564
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 884
x 568

Re: Western Medicine

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon May 02, 2016 12:52 am

Nahh, I'm saving my soul
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cubbie Swagger
All-Star
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 am
x 75
x 21

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Mon May 02, 2016 2:14 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Nahh, I'm saving my soul

Haha
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cubbie Swagger
All-Star
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 am
x 75
x 21

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Sat May 14, 2016 1:59 pm

I just came across this and thought it was a good article detailing how anti-depressants are pretty much a scam, and the entire chemical imbalance theory holds no water:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/

That article contains links to a number of other studies, as well.
0 x
Image

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32534
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2210
x 5721
Contact:

Re: Western Medicine

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun May 15, 2016 1:52 am

lol no
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9082
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 235
x 197

Re: Western Medicine

Postby seanimal » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:22 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:You sound like my acupuncturist


#whiteprivilege
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77426
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9674
x 12819

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:41 am

Holy horsefeathers, this thread. Can we frame this somehow?
0 x

User avatar
Cubbie Swagger
All-Star
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 am
x 75
x 21

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Hey, the seizure stuff I told you guys about isn't even the most severe medical crisis I've been through, or the worst medical care I've received.

In other words, I could launch into a whole new cyclone of crazy at any moment.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77426
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9674
x 12819

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Cubbie Swagger wrote:In other words, I could launch into a whole new cyclone of crazy at any moment.


WHAT NO WAY GET OUT OF HERE
3 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66321
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5035
x 5011

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:In other words, I could launch into a whole new cyclone of crazy at any moment.


WHAT NO WAY GET OUT OF HERE


4 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58791
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2364
x 7960

Re: Western Medicine

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Just because


5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10497
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 13
x 210

Re: Western Medicine

Postby biittner77 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:50 pm

I feel like there's a tier below Gordon's where you'll find the likes of Popov or Kentucky Tavern.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Stannis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Cubbie Swagger wrote:Hey, the seizure stuff I told you guys about isn't even the most severe medical crisis I've been through, or the worst medical care I've received.

In other words, I could launch into a whole new cyclone of crazy at any moment.


well, as long as we can agree that your health problems got better when you cut out sugar, rather than aspertame or wheat gluten, and you're fine.

sugar is the like the worst thing for your body (although, in moderation, it's fine), and that's why you feel better.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77426
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9674
x 12819

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Boy, it's ironic that Cubbie Swagger isn't around anymore, because I ended up having a minor health scare thanks to the very same "acne medication," Minocylcine, that he claims had him in the worst hospital in America with the most incompetent doctors simply throwing pills at him to treat the epilepsy he somehow caught as an adult.

My brother got married earlier this month, and from time to time I get flare-ups of rosacea, and I wanted to make sure that didn't happen over the course of the long wedding weekend. One of my doctors had me on a long term, low dose antibiotic to treat it, but I had just started taking it a few weeks before and it typically took a good 2-3 months to really take effect, so since the wedding was less than a month away I went back to her asking if there was something stronger I could take in the short term. She suggested Minocycline, and right away said that she didn't want me on it for more than 2-3 months at the most since I was dealing with anything anywhere near severe enough to merit it using for longer than that (Cubbie Swagger, you have my condolences for apparently having a monstrous pizza-face that inexplicably kept you on a super-antibiotic for about a decade). She explained that they don't want to have patients on any antibiotics that strong long term unless absolutely necessary because, to over-simplify, it will end up destroying essentially all of the bacteria in the body, good and bad, and you can catch illnesses or infections easier.

"Holy cow, that lunatic on NSBB might have been right!" Well, not really; homeboy was ranting that his medication had obliterated his immune system. What we're talking about is things like UTIs. BUT...after about 3 weeks, man, this medicine wrecked me. Very sudden weight gain (about 15 pounds in less than a month) with no change to my daily routine (which I have kept real strict while losing a good 155 pounds over the last year and a half), feeling achey and feverish, bad indigestion and bloating and, worst of all, CRAZY heart palpitations. I was diagnosed with those when I was a little kid, but it's fortunately never been anything serious; they come and go without much notice. Maybe flare up if I am really stressed or have crazy spicy food, but that's it; I've been tested out the whazoo repeatedly over the years and my heart is fine. But this was nuts; felt like my heart was skipping a beat every 30 seconds or so, and at times I would be hit with this crazy intense feeling of wanting to immediately go to sleep, even if I was standing or walking somewhere.

So I'm freaking out, thinking I am REALLY sick or I'm in the process of heart failure or who knows what, so I call my cardiologist right away and immediately, the first things they ask after first making sure I'm not having any heart attack/failure symptoms (turns out I wasn't; the extreme tiredness was due to the Vagas nerve being pressured; look it up), was to ask if anything has changed in my diet or the medications I take. As soon as I tell her the only thing that's changed is adding the Minocycline, boom, she tells me to stop taking it. Has me call the prescribing doctor, they concur, and I stop taking it. Within 48 hours, the heart palpitations are back to normal. Within a day or 2 of that, not feeling feverish any more. Then no more stomach issues. Voila! Not gonna mess with that stuff ever again.

So, hey, turns out the nut job WAS talking about a medication that can mess you up. But the rest of this ramblings were still nonsense since, shocker, one of the very first things a doctor did after I reported my symptoms was to ask what medications I was taking, plus he was a loony tune living off of fast food, crazy aggro workouts and taking an incredibly powerful antibiotic years and years after he should have been (and nary a single nurse or doctor asked anything about anything along these lines).
2 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58791
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2364
x 7960

Re: Western Medicine

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 02, 2018 2:22 pm



0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22346
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 202
x 477

Re: Western Medicine

Postby CubinNY » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:06 am

This month I officially pay more for health insurance for my staff than I do for the building that houses my business.

Health insurance is killing small business in this country.
1 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66321
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5035
x 5011

Re: Western Medicine

Postby Banedon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:55 pm

CubinNY wrote:This month I officially pay more for health insurance for my staff than I do for the building that houses my business.

Health insurance is killing small business in this country.


And it's not doing great things for individuals, either.
1 x
Image


Return to “Rants”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests