Door-to-door salesmen

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Re: Door-to-door salesmen

Postby NewUserName » Sun May 29, 2016 8:57 pm

I used to like the Kirby vacuum guys. Got my living room cleaned, couches vacuumed. It was great.

I often talk to the door to door church salesman. Not to brag but I know way more theology than those people. I like to break down the Great Commission and how going door to door is not part of it. That they aren't doing God's work, but just trying to boost church attendance and that they are not synonymous.

Last yr a super hot Latvian lady/girl tried to sell me some bs books to help my kids in school. I strung her on for awhile. Because my theology on checking out super hot Latvian girls is weak
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Mon May 30, 2016 4:18 pm

We just get Jews for Jesus types going door to door around here. Funny seeing them ask my Chinese ex if she's Jewish
0 x
We are doomed.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 30, 2016 4:26 pm

I know I'm often an antisocial weirdo, but I'm kinda surprised at how many of you seem to be so willing to go to the door for strangers. Unless it's someone I know or a delivery person or, I guess, someone who looks like they'd be on official business, I'm sure as horsefeathers not bothering to answer the door for them. It's not even that I'm worried about something nefarious going down; it just seems likely they're just there for a survey or poll or trying to sell something.

And even if you're Derwood and you're hanging out by your open door and they say you, just say "no thanks" and walk away. What are they going to do, follow you into the house?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 30, 2016 4:28 pm

I don't hang out by the front door. You can just see my living room from the front door
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 30, 2016 4:33 pm

So same thing; if the guy wants to be a crappy salesman and just inexplicably hang out there, let them. I was house-sitting for my parents last year and they have a similar set up where you can see right into the living room as to walk to the front door if the blinds are open and a few times people came up trying to pimp lawn service offers. I just ignored the doorbell and they left; only once did one of them try to get my attention in the living room. I just waved him off, shook my head and mouthed "no thanks" and that was that.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon May 30, 2016 4:37 pm

Derwood wrote:I don't hang out by the front door. You can just see my living room from the front door

who cares? just tell them to horsefeathers off.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 30, 2016 5:08 pm

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:I don't hang out by the front door. You can just see my living room from the front door

who cares? just tell them to [expletive] off.

I do, basically. I'm not inviting them in.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 31, 2016 12:10 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So same thing; if the guy wants to be a crappy salesman and just inexplicably hang out there, let them. I was house-sitting for my parents last year and they have a similar set up where you can see right into the living room as to walk to the front door if the blinds are open and a few times people came up trying to pimp lawn service offers. I just ignored the doorbell and they left; only once did one of them try to get my attention in the living room. I just waved him off, shook my head and mouthed "no thanks" and that was that.

My son's friends often knock on the door a lot to see if he can play. So I'm usually already pretty close by the time i figure out it's a door-to-door person. Takes two second to tell them to GTFO.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:43 pm

I get door-to-door Mormon's and Jehova's Witnesses a couple times a year. I always want to mess with them, but I end up treating them politely.

Though on one occasion I did have a lady flip her horsefeathers at me after I had politely declined and offered her a bottle of water for the road. If she comes back, I think I'll finally allow myself to be an horsefeathers for once.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:09 pm

The wiring to my doorbell fried many years ago, and I appreciate that very much. I don't even know how many times someone rang the doorbell that I didn't want to talk to.
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:36 am

Rob wrote:I get door-to-door Mormon's and Jehova's Witnesses a couple times a year. I always want to mess with them, but I end up treating them politely.

Though on one occasion I did have a lady flip her [expletive] at me after I had politely declined and offered her a bottle of water for the road. If she comes back, I think I'll finally allow myself to be an [expletive] for once.

My wife always wants to say outrageously blasphemous things to Jehovah's Witnesses. As tempting as it is to let that happen, I answer the door.

I almost always politely tell them I'm not interested. When I get a persistent pair of them, I just tell them that if they don't take no for an answer, someone's going to walk away really, really offended, and that someone isn't going to be me. That usually does it.

As for door to door salespeople, I don't think I've actually had one come to my house in over a decade.
0 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:28 am

the last salesman i could remember is kids selling newspapers to pay for college
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

SRQCub
Starter

Postby SRQCub » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Deed-restricted neighborhood, so we don't get these guys in often. You get the occasional Fios/Comcast dude willing to walk around in 105 degree heat for a commission on his two sales, but that's about it.

But these damned Jehovahs Witnesses show up every other horsefeathering week. :banghead:
0 x

Return to “Rants”