My Dog is Getting Old

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: My Dog is Getting Old

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:46 am

This thread sucks.

Extremely delayed here but I'm sorry, wekse.
1 x

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:27 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:This thread sucks.

Extremely delayed here but I'm sorry, wekse.

Thanks, he was the best.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm not really a small dog person but I am a dog lover so I hate reading threads like this, especially considering my 100-pound buddy at home is 10 1/2. I don't even want to think about the day I have to make the "decision" as I will be a complete wreck. My condolences, man.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:46 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:55 am

I'm gonna share my dog's story in hopes that somebody had something similar happen and can point me in a direction I haven't been yet. I have a 12 year old border collie, and he is the best dog I have ever even heard of. He's my avatar, in fact. He's got an off switch, unlike most border collies (or similar breeds). If you wanna go out and throw the ball for him for 12 hours straight, he'll do that. If you wanna sit on the couch for 12 hours straight, he'll never leave your side. Wanna leave him alone for 12 hours? he'll be in the exact same spot you left him when you come back. He's freakin amazing.

He has always had a very sensitive stomach. Feed him the wrong food, or too much food, or at the wrong time, and he's gonna get diarrhea. Some time around November, the price of the food he had been on for years went up by like 30%, so I tried to find something else. Predictable result, diarrhea. I bit the bullet and bought his old stuff, but the diarrhea never stopped. I took him to the vet in early December, they did a bunch of bloodwork, a stool sample test, gave me some diarrhea medicine. All tests came back negative for anything bad. When the diarrhea medicine ran out (metronidozol), the diarrhea came back. He then stopped eating the food that he had been on originally.

I switched him to a homemade meal - boiled chicken, rice, carrots and pumpkin. On this meal, he would sometimes have normal bowel movements - albeit they were orange due to the carrots and pumpkin - but normally it would be of the "soft serve" variety....and occasionally just diarrhea. Several times during this period I attempted to switch him back to regular dog food, but he would refuse to eat it. Fast forward a little bit, and we're in late February/early March. Now I take him back to the vet because he's had diarrhea steady for a couple weeks and suddenly stopped eating the homemade meal I was feeding him. They ran more blood tests. At this point I've dropped nearly $1500 running tests on this dog that all come back with no real problems. The latest results - a Vitamin B12 deficiency and a heart murmer. Now he's on Vitamin B12 shots, diarrhea medicine, and electrolyte fluids.

Present day - I have finally found a food he will eat - Nature's Variety Instinct Raw frozen food. He loves it, but his diarrhea is worse than it has ever been. Its water. There is no consistency to it, just pure freakin water. He hasn't had even what you could call a "soft serve" for weeks. He really shows no interest in playing anymore. He will, but only if I suggest it and not for very long, ya know? When he walks and/or just moves in general, it looks like his whole hind end is in pain or arthritic or something. This dog has weighed 45 pounds his entire life and he weighs in at 36 today.

I'm pretty convinced that he has a tumor somewhere, or something serious along those lines. This dog not eating is extremely troublesome. Not even 9 months ago I could have thrown rocks into his food bowl and he'd have devoured them. Its really been difficult to watch all of this happen. The dog is on metronidozol, which is like a freaking miracle drug for dogs with diarrhea, and he's still crapping out pure water. Does this story ring any bells? Are there any more tests or anything that I should try? I know the obvious answer there is "ask your vet" but I get the vet is rubbing me the wrong way, (long story) and I don't want to start all over with a new vet. I really thought that the Vitamin B12 deficiency might be a real thing. But since receiving his first shot, he's had one normal bowel movement(the first day, one single turd) and like 1.5 weeks of pure brown water.
Last edited by Enn Tea on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:55 am

Just based on my experience, I would check for pancreatitis. My guy had a little more obvious signs in the beginning along with diarrhea (vomiting and pissing like a racehorse) but the not hungry thing persisted.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:19 pm

You never mentioned anything about having the dogs anal glands expressed. I'm sure your vet has done this for your dog, but many dogs have problems with crapping because the anal glands are blocked or infected.

This may or may not help with the diarrhea problem, but I would hope it would help with the dogs uncomfortable hind end situation. I currently have a dog that needs her hind end expressed quite regularly. Never had a dog previously that had that problem, but I can tell when it's time for her to go in. She scoots a lot when the glands need expressed.

Other than that, I can't offer up anything else to help. I don't have much faith with the veterinarians I have taken my dogs to. Almost seems like a money grab.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Well my one-eyed dog's remaining eye is quickly going. He was fine on Friday, but spent the weekend at a boarder. Last night he suddenly couldn't see very well. His eye is clouding up and it seems like he can only discern light and dark (he squints if you shine a light into his eye), but he wanders around lost, trying to sniff his way from place to place.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed May 11, 2016 4:12 am

My parents 11-year old Golden Retriever has spleen cancer and they don't know how long she's going to last. She stopped eating pretty much anything (it started with not eating her dog food but eating treats but progressed to nothing) so they brought her to the vet to get checked out and they found the cancer. The vet gave my parents steroids to give her and while she doesn't like her regular food, she's willing to eat dog treats and human food, so my parents are pretty much letting her eat whatever she's willing to.

My wife and I went home for mothers day and to see the dog potentially the last time. She's just super lethargic all the time. She was happy to see us, which was good to see, but I tried to play frisbee with her and she went about 10 minutes before sitting down and refusing to play. Even at Christmas I was able to play 30 minutes and that including going down stairs. This time I just played in the yard because she struggles going up and down stairs. How long she lasts depends on how long the steroids keep helping to make her hungry.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Thu May 12, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm so sorry, wekse. I haven't been able to open this thread since we put our dog down nearly 18 months ago so I just saw your post. Every evening at 5:30 I still look at the clock and feel like my dog should be whining for food.

But we're getting a golden puppy in about 7 weeks. I'm torn but my son really needs it; he hasn't been the same.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri May 13, 2016 2:40 am

Good bye shoes
0 x

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Fri May 13, 2016 4:01 am

BigbadB wrote:You never mentioned anything about having the dogs anal glands expressed. I'm sure your vet has done this for your dog, but many dogs have problems with crapping because the anal glands are blocked or infected.

This may or may not help with the diarrhea problem, but I would hope it would help with the dogs uncomfortable hind end situation. I currently have a dog that needs her hind end expressed quite regularly. Never had a dog previously that had that problem, but I can tell when it's time for her to go in. She scoots a lot when the glands need expressed.

Other than that, I can't offer up anything else to help. I don't have much faith with the veterinarians I have taken my dogs to. Almost seems like a money grab.

Yeah, I did have the anal glands checked after posting this, and it did help with his discomfort. Its an ongoing situation, still, and they found an "abnormal growth" on his liver. They said they could test it to see if it is cancerous, but I already know the answer. They put him on steroids, and it really perked him up for a little while, but now he's in a decline again :/
0 x

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Sat May 21, 2016 8:44 pm

I woke up today and he was unable to walk down stairs, and I had to force feed him for the 2nd day in a row. I put him down about an hour ago. Greatest horsefeathers dog this world will ever know. Life sucks :[
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat May 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear that. I had to put mine down last week. 13 years old.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat May 21, 2016 8:57 pm

My parents dog lasted a little over two weeks after the cancer diagnosis. On Sunday night, she stopped eating anything and couldn't go to the bathroom Monday morning. The vet they take her to is off on Mondays so they waited until Tuesday morning to put her to sleep.

At least I got to see her one more time before she passed.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue May 31, 2016 1:16 pm

weis21 wrote:
wekse wrote:Image

I lost this guy last Thursday. I miss him so much.

So sorry for your loss. Beagles are truly the best.

I adopted Wrigley a couple years back. He walked up to a warehouse place where a friend of mine worked during his third shift stint. Obviously nobody knows for sure, but my theory (and nobody can tell me otherwise so it's basically gospel as far as I'm concerned) is that some [expletive] hunter let him go because he (Wrigley) was quite obviously sick and unable to pay dividends for his [expletive] hobby. Anyway, my friend and his wife had another dog (who is a bit of a diva) and I had zero dogs so that was that.

I did what I could, but ultimately the heartworms were far too advanced by the time he found me. Bless his heart, he would do everything in his power to crawl in my lap 24/7, rest his head against mine in bed, he was just so absolutely [expletive] happy that someone showed him any love and attention. To this day I've never encountered any other creature so thankful for just simply being loved and shown care for.

Sorry for the bump of an old post, but I entered this thread for the first time, and this story just about broke me. I have a similar story, and even though my rescue dog passed almost 8 years ago, it still hurts. He was, as you describe, just so horsefeathering thankful that someone loved him at the end.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:54 am

My little dude is not doing well. He's almost 15 years old, but he's losing weight, isn't holding his bladder, isn't eating well. Luckily he seems pretty relaxed and doesn't seem to be in pain, but I'm thinking he's fading
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:12 pm

ugh, sorry derwood.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:28 pm

He seems to be taking comfort in being outside. Normally, he'll go out back long enough to do his business, then want to come back in right away. Today, he's just hanging out back there. If he wants to spend all day outside, I'm happy to let him.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Derwood wrote:My little dude is not doing well. He's almost 15 years old, but he's losing weight, isn't holding his bladder, isn't eating well. Luckily he seems pretty relaxed and doesn't seem to be in pain, but I'm thinking he's fading

that's a bummer, sorry
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:48 pm

It sucks, but the average lifespan for his breed is around 12 years, so we've been super lucky to have him for 15. I hope he goes quietly in his sleep. I'll take that every day over dealing with a dog getting hit by a car or getting sick. It'll be tough, as he's older than my kids (and my oldest daughter is starting high school in the fall). The kids have never known a time when he wasn't here.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 pm

That's tough. Sorry, Derwood.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:14 am

R.I.P. Mojo (2002-2017) :(
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 pm

My poor baby has bladder cancer. I'd rather die than have to put her down, I might see if I can get a two-fer at the vet and just euthanize myself too.
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:48 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:My poor baby has bladder cancer. I'd rather die than have to put her down, I might see if I can get a two-fer at the vet and just euthanize myself too.

we all gotta make tough choices
0 x

Return to “Rants”