My Dog is Getting Old

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Re: My Dog is Getting Old

Postby big ball chunky time » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:My poor baby has bladder cancer. I'd rather die than have to put her down, I might see if I can get a two-fer at the vet and just euthanize myself too.

we all gotta make tough choices

My vet called today, puzzled, and said the lab results didnt show any cancer cells. So now I dont know what to do - he might have missed and not gotten the cells he thought he got and it could still be cancer. Or maybe they were just wrong and my dog will outlive me, like it should be
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:58 am

i don't know if this is the right place to put this, but i'm curious what you guys think. my parents little yorkie had to be put down down recently. about a week later, they got an envelope in the mail from the vet that contained nothing but a paw print of the dog that they made right before they put her down. my mom didn't ask for this, and they never told her they were going to do it. she didn't say she disliked it, but it kind of wrecked her right when she was starting to feel better.

this is kind of messed up, right? it's a nice gesture, but it seems really cruel to do that without asking first.
0 x

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm

17 Seconds wrote:i don't know if this is the right place to put this, but i'm curious what you guys think. my parents little yorkie had to be put down down recently. about a week later, they got an envelope in the mail from the vet that contained nothing but a paw print of the dog that they made right before they put her down. my mom didn't ask for this, and they never told her they were going to do it. she didn't say she disliked it, but it kind of wrecked her right when she was starting to feel better.

this is kind of messed up, right? it's a nice gesture, but it seems really cruel to do that without asking first.

This is pretty common. My vet did the same thing when my pup passed away. I was struck with grief upon receiving it, but I'm glad I have it.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry, derwood.

Hope everything is okay, imb.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:18 am

When my jack russell reached the end I would find him in the backyard just swaying in the breeze, anything to get that fresh air. He could barely stay upright anymore but damn it if he wouldn't try with all his might. We would leave the patio door open and every morning around 3 I wold wake up and know exactly where to find him. That's when I knew it was time. And I'm glad (in a way) I experienced those final dark days and have somewhat of a better idea of when to not let the suffering continue any longer. I took him in as a stray and the vet surmised he was just under a year. I had him for 17.

Bless his soul.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 am

When my jack russell reached the end I would find him in the backyard just swaying in the breeze, anything to get that fresh air. He could barely stay upright anymore but damn it if he wouldn't try with all his might. We would leave the patio door open and every morning around 3 I wold wake up and know exactly where to find him. That's when I knew it was time. And I'm glad (in a way) I experienced those final dark days and have somewhat of a better idea of when to not let the suffering continue any longer. I took him in as a stray and the vet surmised he was just under a year. I had him for 17.

Bless his soul.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 pm

RIP Wrigley
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:02 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:RIP Wrigley

Sorry for your loss.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Sorry to hear that jersey. That sucks.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Terribly sorry. I'm grieving with you. The only thing that makes it remotely easier is the passage of time.

Had to put down my 16 year old Feist a few weeks ago. I couldn't take him there so my wife did it. I was a coward and was too weak.

This is the first time I've ever opened this thread. With my dog getting older and knowing what this thread was surely about, I just couldn't even open it until now.

RIP little buddy

Spoiler: show
0 x

entbird79
Starter

Postby entbird79 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Sorry for your loss Gooney. RIP Wrigley
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 am

I was cleaning out the photos on my phone yesterday and found a bunch of the family dog we had to let go back in June, and it kicked me in the gut all over again. In theory I want a pet again, but how I felt over losing the last one makes me wimp out.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 am

Sorry, gooney. Time for a Good Dog Salute.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:42 am

horsefeathers this thread. So sorry for your loss. I literally tear up at the thought of losing my dog and he’s *only* 6 years old. I’m gonna go find the happy dog thread.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:51 am

My parents dog is less than 3 years old. She got sick a little over a week ago and the vets couldn't figure out exactly what's wrong. They think she's got some form of cancer but they don't know exactly what. Nothing has been determined yet (it will be soon) but it's not looking good and odds are they'll have to put her down in the next couple days.

My dog will be 11 in March. She's had a couple health issues the last couple years, though nothing life threatening. The worst was she tore the dog version of the ACL in one of her hind legs, which has severely limited how much we can play with her and exercise her. And while I know the end is coming within the next few years, at least I know she's had a full life.

Everyone loves puppies and for good reason. They're awesome. But they're also a lot of work. And that work you put in when they're young pays off when they get to age 2 or 3 and they can be trusted to not do things like chew up things they shouldn't. While they're not cute and cuddly like puppies, the middle age dog years are great because you really have a companion in your life that you can do so much with. Losing a pet is never easy, but it really horsefeathering sucks that my parents probably aren't going to get those years with their dog.

I'm going to miss the horsefeathers out of my dog whenever the end comes, but I'll always know it could have been much much worse.
2 x
In Theo we trust.

Return to “Rants”