General Cubs Chit-Chat

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm

I just realized this is the 20th anniversary season of the Sammy Sosa/Kerry Wood/Wild Card season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... ores.shtml

This will always be my favorite non-WS winning Cubs team. I was just a little too young to appreciate 1989, so seeing them do the clubhouse celebration when they made the playoffs felt so epic.

Those early steroid numbers look so crazy now. Brant freaking Brown put up a .501 SLG in 124 games, or roughly the same as Anthony Rizzo last year. Kevin Tapani almost put up 20 wins and almost put up an ERA over 5 in the same season.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I just realized this is the 20th anniversary season of the Sammy Sosa/Kerry Wood/Wild Card season.

This will always be my favorite non-WS winning Cubs team. I was just a little too young to appreciate 1989, so seeing them do the clubhouse celebration when they made the playoffs felt so epic.

Those early steroid numbers look so crazy now. Brant freaking Brown put up a .501 SLG in 124 games, or roughly the same as Anthony Rizzo last year. Kevin Tapani almost put up 20 wins and almost put up an ERA over 5 in the same season.

also the 10th anniversary of the best cubs team any of us had ever seen until a couple of years ago.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 pm

2004 was better when healthy
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:2004 was better when healthy

nah
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Now I’m looking at the 2004 team and wondering why they didn’t just get a SS and a real closer, because the current Cubs have taught me that you should just have zero holes on the roster.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:56 pm

David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I just realized this is the 20th anniversary season of the Sammy Sosa/Kerry Wood/Wild Card season.

also the 10th anniversary of the best cubs team any of us had ever seen until a couple of years ago.

I adored everything about that team. The 15-16 group (plus some success for a couple of my other teams) have left them in the dust now, but for a long time it was my favorite sports team ever.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Andy wrote:
David wrote:

I adored everything about that team. The 15-16 group (plus some success for a couple of my other teams) have left them in the dust now, but for a long time it was my favorite sports team ever.

same, and early on when we started to get good in 15 I still wasn't sure if the 08 team would ever be eclipsed for me. then the playoffs happened.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Now I’m looking at the 2004 team and wondering why they didn’t just get a SS and a real closer, because the current Cubs have taught me that you should just have zero holes on the roster.

they did get a shortstop you weirdo

that's only the single best and most memorable thing about 2004
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:59 pm

David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Now I’m looking at the 2004 team and wondering why they didn’t just get a SS and a real closer, because the current Cubs have taught me that you should just have zero holes on the roster.

Eventually.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
David wrote:

Eventually.

god what a dark and horsefeathers couple of years that was

trading sammy and throwing him under the bus, replacing him with jeromy horsefeathering burnitz, nomar rips his groin off like an hour into the season, surprise d-lee becomes a superstar, next year d-lee still looking superstarish and smashes his wrist 3 hours into the season (and is never really the same, albeit still v good), all the while we all come to the slow realization that 2003 mark prior is never coming back and kerry wood's career might also be over
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Who was the other prospect we were trying to get from the Yankees that one summer they almost traded Sosa? Soriano and someone else
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:09 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Who was the other prospect we were trying to get from the Yankees that one summer they almost traded Sosa? Soriano and someone else

nick johnson and d'angelo jimenez?

i remember jackson melian's name being bandied about at some point too
1 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

i remember ricky ledee being talked about as well. and lilly, i think?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:i remember ricky ledee being talked about as well. and lilly, i think?

yes pretty sure those names came up as well
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 pm

David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
David wrote:

Eventually.

trading sammy and throwing him under the bus, replacing him with jeromy horsefeathering burnitz, nomar rips his groin off like an hour into the season, surprise d-lee becomes a superstar, next year d-lee still looking superstarish and smashes his wrist 3 hours into the season (and is never really the same, albeit still v good), all the while we all come to the slow realization that 2003 mark prior is never coming back and kerry wood's career might also be over

Ugh, I was at the game when Furcal barreled into Lee's wrist.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Some Monty news in the former part, which seems like the smart move in case of injury and just general conditioning for him but the latter part it appears Joe got in to the sauce early today

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:34 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Eventually.

I really wonder how that injury affected his career trajectory? Lee was a complete hitter and finally added power to his game and then that injury happened. That blow really sapped him of power like most wrist injuries tend to do. He never returned to being that same formidable hitter ever again in his Cubs tenure.

Derrek Lee will always be one of my favorite Cubs players of all-time. I don't know why we don't use him as a coach in ST or as a special scout or in an advisory role.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 am

Yeah Lee is one of my all-time favorite Cubs, even including the current group of guys. I know his daughter had some sort of condition so maybe that keeps him busy/occupied to spend time with her that he hasn’t gotten in to any role. Or maybe he just is enjoying life, they do show him at Cubs games in the crowd it seems like once or twice a year and I think he’s been to a Cubs convention or two since he retired so maybe he does do some talking to current players here and there.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Eventually.

The ink had barely dried on his new contract when that occurred. What a heartbreaker. He was off to a hot start too. Looked like he was gonna prove 05 was no fluke.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 am

who remembers the barrett grand slam vs the cardinals on sunday night baseball from that season
4 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 am

David wrote:who remembers the barrett grand slam vs the cardinals on sunday night baseball from that season

I was at that game and it was awweeesssoooommmeeee.
1 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:28 am

David wrote:who remembers the barrett grand slam vs the cardinals on sunday night baseball from that season

Capped off a sweep of the Cards on one of the first couple weekends. I still have the video of that saved on my computer.
1 x
In Theo we trust.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 am

Arbitrary cutoff points and all but it's one of only 4 seasons where a pitcher put up an ERA over 4.8 and had 19+ wins. Two were in the 1930's and the other was Mussina in 1996.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 am

Insane to think that we got 450 IP and 13 bwar out of two 22 year olds in 2003
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

the crowd that night was extraordinarily loud for an april game

3 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”