The Spring Training Thread

Regular Show
All-Star

Re: The Spring Training Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Regular Show wrote:I think if he honestly told us his true opinions on a lot of controversial topics like gun control or immigration we'd be pretty horsefeathering disappointed.

Maddon has said that immigrants were 'saving' his home town and pissed off that town in the process. More recently he said 'it doesn't make any sense' to own an automatic rifle.

I don't believe or expect Maddon to be a paragon of progressive politics, but the extrapolation that some folks have done to one of his comments is silly.

More to the point, I think Joe Maddon is a great manager. I am also getting tired of his 'always on' method of being a great manager since the media eats this stuff up and reports it at every turn.

Good points. I missed those comments he made about immigrants in his home town.

What do you mean when you say 'always on' method of being a great manager? The media does love to quote him and talk about him because he's so different from most managers/coaches.

I also agree he is a great manager.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Regular Show wrote:That quote he gave about the current political situation was terrible. Maddon said, "It’s dangerous when folks in our country stop respecting the White House and the seat of the president". I don't know if he doesn't want to criticize the president because the Ricketts are close to Trump, or maybe he genuinely believes that. He also likes to quote Colin Powell which seems like a weird choice to me. I think if he honestly told us his true opinions on a lot of controversial topics like gun control or immigration we'd be pretty horsefeathering disappointed.

Your bolded line can be interpreted in a lot of ways. I absolutely agree with the sentiment in the way I interpret it - which is (one reason) why it is such a horrible thing to have Trump's daily degradation of the office.
2 x
Spoiler: show

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Tim wrote:
Regular Show wrote:That quote he gave about the current political situation was terrible. Maddon said, "It’s dangerous when folks in our country stop respecting the White House and the seat of the president". I don't know if he doesn't want to criticize the president because the Ricketts are close to Trump, or maybe he genuinely believes that. He also likes to quote Colin Powell which seems like a weird choice to me. I think if he honestly told us his true opinions on a lot of controversial topics like gun control or immigration we'd be pretty horsefeathering disappointed.

Your bolded line can be interpreted in a lot of ways. I absolutely agree with the sentiment in the way I interpret it - which is (one reason) why it is such a horrible thing to have Trump's daily degradation of the office.

Exactly how I saw it.

That said, can we not talk about the baseball manager's politics? I feel like at some point something will be said that will make me hate him when I don't care to have any opinion at all. He's good at the baseball stuff ans I really like how he sees the game the vast majority of the time.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Tim wrote:

I agree it can be interpreted in many different ways. I agree with the sentiment as well, but people have stopped respecting the White House and the seat of the president going on many decades now. I don't know exactly when it started.

The quote is fine, but the context and timing of the quote was problematic. He said that comment after the President called NFL players who protested by taking a knee during the national anthem "S.O.B.'s" and Trump also made other stupid remarks about protesting players. To be fair to Maddon, he was unaware of the whole affair and believes in freedom of speech and says he would allow his players to protest in whatever way they feel is best.

Also, right now in this political climate I believe it's actually warranted -- the lack of respect for this White House and this current president. It's also possible to respect the White House as an institution and what it stands for while at the same time disagreeing with the president and what he stands for.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Went to a few Grapefruit League games. And I got to meet former Cubs great Sam Fuld after the one game. He's apparently a Phillies asst. coach now.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Oh man, remember when Sam Fuld made like one really nice play in center field and then Hendry talked about him untouchable or something?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:28 pm

The Logan wrote:Oh man, remember when Sam Fuld made like one really nice play in center field and then Hendry talked about him untouchable or something?

I just googled "Jim Hendry Sam Fuld untouchable" and this thread was the top result.

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/archiv ... 4e87e7cd6f
1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 pm

I totally forgot about him being "untouchable". And that was like 3 years before we actually traded him as a throw-in. Dark times.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Made me look up Fuld's career numbers. Somehow he had a 3 win season in 2014?!
0 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 pm

I like how Meph's terrible grammar makes "Fuld sucks people" hysterical.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I like how Meph's terrible grammar makes "Fuld sucks people" hysterical.

i had forgotten how much i would cringe at that sulley quote he'd keep in his sig about mozart and salieri
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:11 pm

One guess as to who said this:

Another example of Hendry bashing. When Hendry dismisses a player, he gets criticized and if he talks up a player, he gets criticized. Nobody is burning up the phone lines asking for Fuld, so what's the matter with building up the kid's ego. As for whether Hendry believes this, I don't think any of us know what he believes. Bruce Miles has pointed out that the Cubs are very tight lipped about what their plans are, but all of us "experts" know what Hendry's inner most thoughts are.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:One guess as to who said this:

Another example of Hendry bashing. When Hendry dismisses a player, he gets criticized and if he talks up a player, he gets criticized. Nobody is burning up the phone lines asking for Fuld, so what's the matter with building up the kid's ego. As for whether Hendry believes this, I don't think any of us know what he believes. Bruce Miles has pointed out that the Cubs are very tight lipped about what their plans are, but all of us "experts" know what Hendry's inner most thoughts are.

Did a three way trade proposal follow this up?
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:18 pm

This might be the (relatively) nicest thing Meph ever posted:

I tend to call people who are dumber than myself idiots. Obviously, I am a relatively bright guy so someone dumber than me is not always an idiot. JH is not an idiot. You don't get his job being an idiot. I don't think he is particularly good at his job. I think he's "relatively idiotic" about it meaning he's in the bottom five or so GMs.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:33 pm

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I like how Meph's terrible grammar makes "Fuld sucks people" hysterical.

i had forgotten how much i would cringe at that sulley quote he'd keep in his sig about mozart and salieri

sully is the only poster in nsbb history to be worse than meph, so it makes sense
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:46 pm

In retrospect, what the hell was meph so good at anyway? "Hey, guys... Khalil Greene has crazy home/road splits. Get him out of Petco!"
1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Oh man, the Meph era. #memories

I know this gets asked every so often but was he the one behind the anti-NSBB website?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
David wrote:

sully is the only poster in nsbb history to be worse than meph, so it makes sense

And yeah, Meph was behind the anti-site dedicated to a fringe Cubs message board.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:23 pm

the best part is meph is apparently still around so he'll see all this
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 pm

my *favorite* meph memory is when he decided that he needed to take the heat off himself because people were starting to piece together he was writing the nsbblol thing, so he wrote an article about himself, and then praised himself in the article for being smart.
6 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:52 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:my *favorite* meph memory is when he decided that he needed to take the heat off himself because people were starting to piece together he was writing the nsbblol thing, so he wrote an article about himself, and then praised himself in the article for being smart.

I know nsbb has been around for awhile and this Meph guy sounds pretty crazy, but isn't this too "inside baseball" even for a baseball forum lol?

You guys talk about this weirdo like war vets talk about Hitler or Stalin or Mussolini. I'm sure it's all warranted, but us younger posters have no idea who the horsefeathers you're talking about...
0 x

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:05 am

So Regular Show is Meph?
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:20 am

Regular Show wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:my *favorite* meph memory is when he decided that he needed to take the heat off himself because people were starting to piece together he was writing the nsbblol thing, so he wrote an article about himself, and then praised himself in the article for being smart.

I know nsbb has been around for awhile and this Meph guy sounds pretty crazy, but isn't this too "inside baseball" even for a baseball forum lol?

You guys talk about this weirdo like war vets talk about Hitler or Stalin or Mussolini. I'm sure it's all warranted, but us younger posters have no idea who the horsefeathers you're talking about...

Ever worked somewhere where your coworkers talked about some hack who worked there years ago and tell amusing stories about them? And they're still amusing even though you weren't there at the time?
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:28 am

woodchip2153 wrote:So Regular Show is Meph?

Hah, I don't think I come across as crazy...

I just don't see the point in talking about some weirdo that doesn't post here anymore. I think our forum here is actually really good in limiting trolls and stupid posters. Just take a look at 'cards talk' or GRB lol.

I remember before I started posting here that some stupid Christian Cardinals fan tried to have conversations with posters here right? He had some "interesting" thoughts and I believe he kind of was a troll. No Cardinals fan ever tried to post here to have an intelligent conversation. Once the Cubs got really good he never posted here again. I mean no one mentions that idiot anymore either.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 am

Regular Show wrote:
woodchip2153 wrote:So Regular Show is Meph?

Hah, I don't think I come across as crazy...

I just don't see the point in talking about some weirdo that doesn't post here anymore. I think our forum here is actually really good in limiting trolls and stupid posters. Just take a look at 'cards talk' or GRB lol.

I remember before I started posting here that some stupid Christian Cardinals fan tried to have conversations with posters here right? He had some "interesting" thoughts and I believe he kind of was a troll. No Cardinals fan ever tried to post here to have an intelligent conversation. Once the Cubs got really good he never posted here again. I mean no one mentions that idiot anymore either.

Confirmed.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”