General Cubs Chit-Chat

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60272
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7344
x 4473

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby David » Fri May 18, 2018 8:54 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:Cole is well past his prime at this point. I prefer all of our current SP to him, even the broken versions of Yu and Q. Hard pass.

I thought this was about Gerrit Cole at first and was so confused
1 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 187
x 252

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Fri May 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Why in the world would we trade for a starter. What a dumb horsefeathering idea with no common sense thought. Do these guys not look at rosters and think logically about roster construction for a second?


I could see trading for a starter if things don't get better (I think they will), but Hamels makes no sense. He has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as the rest of our starters. He's lost a couple MPH off his fastball, so now his walk rate is creeping up because he's nibbling, and when he does throw strikes he's giving up homeruns like crazy.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21052
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4451
x 3720

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Why in the world would we trade for a starter. What a dumb horsefeathering idea with no common sense thought. Do these guys not look at rosters and think logically about roster construction for a second?


I could see trading for a starter if things don't get better (I think they will), but Hamels makes no sense. He has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as the rest of our starters. He's lost a couple MPH off his fastball, so now his walk rate is creeping up because he's nibbling, and when he does throw strikes he's giving up homeruns like crazy.

I really don’t see a scenario playing out where we trade for or sign a starter of any more significance than a Eddie Butler.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 1165
x 790

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Why in the world would we trade for a starter. What a dumb horsefeathering idea with no common sense thought. Do these guys not look at rosters and think logically about roster construction for a second?


I could see trading for a starter if things don't get better (I think they will), but Hamels makes no sense. He has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as the rest of our starters. He's lost a couple MPH off his fastball, so now his walk rate is creeping up because he's nibbling, and when he does throw strikes he's giving up homeruns like crazy.

I really don’t see a scenario playing out where we trade for or sign a starter of any more significance than a Eddie Butler.


yeah, i was thinking something along the lines of the cahill/richard moves in 2015, to give them an extra arm for that crazy stretch of games in august, but that's about it.
0 x
Image

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 4
x 95

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby champaignchris » Fri May 18, 2018 10:50 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:yeah, i was thinking something along the lines of the cahill/richard moves in 2015, to give them an extra arm for that crazy stretch of games in august, but that's about it.


Would anyone of that caliber be any better than Alzolay or Mills?

And speaking of Eddie Butler, is he dead or what?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90195
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2672

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 19, 2018 1:52 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Why in the world would we trade for a starter. What a dumb horsefeathering idea with no common sense thought. Do these guys not look at rosters and think logically about roster construction for a second?


Derwood would make the trade to make sure Chatwood doesn’t start playoff games.
11 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 75085
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2396
x 3607
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby UMFan83 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:33 am

Based on our pythag record, we’ve played like a 109 win team this year (29-15 pythag record). That’s pretty good considering until recently our starters had a negative WAR for the season.
2 x
Win it for Fred

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36638
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 991

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby soccer10k » Mon May 21, 2018 6:05 am

UMFan83 wrote:Based on our pythag record, we’ve played like a 109 win team this year (29-15 pythag record). That’s pretty good considering until recently our starters had a negative WAR for the season.


Blasting the Marlins twice, the White Sox once and the Reds three times in the span of two weeks will certainly help projections.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3666
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 76
x 330

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bull » Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 pm

soccer10k wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Based on our pythag record, we’ve played like a 109 win team this year (29-15 pythag record). That’s pretty good considering until recently our starters had a negative WAR for the season.


Blasting the Marlins twice, the White Sox once and the Reds three times in the span of two weeks will certainly help projections.

Having the hardest SOS before that stretch (and 7th hardest to date) mitigates the impact of those two weeks.
1 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21052
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4451
x 3720

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 am

Jesus horsefeathering Christ

1 x
Screw Pitchers

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 4
x 95

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby champaignchris » Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Jesus horsefeathering Christ



...

It’s...

It’s been one horsefeathering season.

They went to the NLCS last year for horsefeathering sakes!!!

What the duck is he talking about?!?
1 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21052
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4451
x 3720

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 am

#WeAreGood

4 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10964
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 11887
x 8379

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Duke Silver » Tue May 22, 2018 3:15 am

As the Cubs' offense continues to put up numbers unmatched by any other team and the pitching finally starts to get in a groove, what better time for this off-day doomsday article I've had in the bank for 18 months?
5 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6153
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 83
x 1487

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 am

Duke Silver wrote:As the Cubs' offense continues to put up numbers unmatched by any other team and the pitching finally starts to get in a groove, what better time for this off-day doomsday article I've had in the bank for 18 months?


Image
5 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25376
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 29
x 2809
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Brian » Tue May 22, 2018 3:44 am

Image
3 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33334
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 690
x 4889

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue May 22, 2018 3:50 am

Cubswin11 wrote:#WeAreGood


DONGS: 47th
0 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 75085
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2396
x 3607
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby UMFan83 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:51 pm

0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21052
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4451
x 3720

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Lol. It seems like the fans and most of the writers have been a special kind of stupid lately

0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60272
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7344
x 4473

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby David » Tue May 22, 2018 5:41 pm

i feel pretty sure he was making an unfunny dad joke (some dad jokes are funny)
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 19474
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am
x 405
x 912

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Omar » Thu May 24, 2018 4:46 am

3 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8425
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 3098
x 309

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Old Style » Thu May 24, 2018 4:01 pm

0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21052
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4451
x 3720

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Some good quotes and stuff in here

0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74943
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8327
x 11161

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 24, 2018 9:40 pm

SPOILER:

Image
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 19474
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am
x 405
x 912

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Omar » Fri May 25, 2018 9:27 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Some good quotes and stuff in here*



*with a subscription to TheAthletic
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21052
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4451
x 3720

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:43 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests