David Ross

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: David Ross

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Tracer Bullet wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:they're awfully loose with that "stars" tag

this has always been the case with shows using celebrities/stars.

they've used all kinds of olympians, football players and other athletes, but it's vaguely interesting that this is the first mlb player to participate. It takes place during the summer I assume so obviously current players can't participate, but there are lots of former players and I would have thought some 90's era yankees had participated or some former dodger.

what percentage of the US population knows who Chris Kattan is without the benefit of Google?

5 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Well that's just not nice.
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:50 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tracer Bullet wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:this has always been the case with shows using celebrities/stars.

they've used all kinds of olympians, football players and other athletes, but it's vaguely interesting that this is the first mlb player to participate. It takes place during the summer I assume so obviously current players can't participate, but there are lots of former players and I would have thought some 90's era yankees had participated or some former dodger.

what percentage of the US population knows who Chris Kattan is without the benefit of Google?

Probably a greater percentage than those that know who David Ross is. He was a really big part of the Will Ferrell era SNL and has been in movies. Baseball players pale in comparison to actual TV/Movie celebrities.

oh absolutely. David Ross certainly isn't a star outside of this board. I just saw Kattan and thought it was hilarious that he was a movie/tv star by their standards.

I'm not sure I'd say he was a huge part of SNL. He was on SNL with a lot of people that went on to have great careers and got to star in a movie with Will Ferrell. But most people wouldn't recognize his name until they saw his face.

of course, if you're more famous than a pro bull rider, i guess you qualify for DWTS
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:29 pm

0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:27 am

I'd guess most people are familiar with Night at the Roxbury at least.
0 x
I like beer.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:57 am

mul21 wrote:I'd guess most people are familiar with Night at the Roxbury at least.

that's the one Ferrell movie I've refused to watch, and it's because of Kattan
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
mul21 wrote:I'd guess most people are familiar with Night at the Roxbury at least.

that's the one Ferrell movie I've refused to watch, and it's because of Kattan

But you know who he is. Still counts.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: David Ross

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Tracer Bullet wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:they're awfully loose with that "stars" tag

this has always been the case with shows using celebrities/stars.

Soooooooo wish I didn't. Every character that guy did was absolutely awful.
0 x

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 pm

At the risk of being "that guy", I'll say it: I'm sick of David Ross. I don't begrudge him any way to make money or get more famous, good for him, but I really just want the season to start so I don't have to hear about this crap anymore. The Cubs are already becoming the 85 Bears. I wouldn't trade the title for anything, but I didn't expect to be sick of any part of it THIS quickly.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:15 pm

apete6 wrote:At the risk of being "that guy", I'll say it: I'm sick of David Ross. I don't begrudge him any way to make money or get more famous, good for him, but I really just want the season to start so I don't have to hear about this crap anymore. The Cubs are already becoming the 85 Bears. I wouldn't trade the title for anything, but I didn't expect to be sick of any part of it THIS quickly.

What makes you think that when the season starts we won't have to hear about this crap anymore?

The 85 Bears are pathetic because of their "we were tougher when" mentality and the fact that they were a one and done team that acts as though they were a dynasty, and dirtballs like Hampton, McMichael and Ditka are at the forefront.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 pm

apete6 wrote:At the risk of being "that guy", I'll say it: I'm sick of David Ross. I don't begrudge him any way to make money or get more famous, good for him, but I really just want the season to start so I don't have to hear about this crap anymore. The Cubs are already becoming the 85 Bears. I wouldn't trade the title for anything, but I didn't expect to be sick of any part of it THIS quickly.

Too each their own I suppose. But I see no similarity to the 85 Bears. The Cubs won the WS 4 months ago. And Ross is a super nice and funny guy, reaping the rewards and momentary fame that comes with success. All the power in the world to him. It will be gone soon enough.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Banedon wrote:

Too each their own I suppose. But I see no similarity to the 85 Bears. The Cubs won the WS 4 months ago. And Ross is a super nice and funny guy, reaping the rewards and momentary fame that comes with success. All the power in the world to him. It will be gone soon enough.

Pretty much, and at the same time if it bugs you or rubs you the wrong way I don't think it's all that hard to ignore whatever David Ross is doing in off the field stuff.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Pretty much, and at the same time if it bugs you or rubs you the wrong way I don't think it's all that hard to ignore whatever David Ross is doing in off the field stuff.

yeah, if you don't follow him on twitter or instagram it seems pretty easy to ignore.

or maybe you are separately a dancing competition show fan and are afraid of losing cubs relationship apete and independent apete.
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Not when every thing he (or anyone else does) off the field is retweeted and/or commented on by every single baseball writer/blogger/teammate.

And, again, I'm OK with him getting as much money as he possibly can get, particularly because he's nowhere near as rich as most of his teammates were or will be shortly, but "Dancing with the Stars" and playing with the Harlem Globetrotters? Who really gives a horsefeathers?
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:51 pm

apete6 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Not when every thing he (or anyone else does) off the field is retweeted and/or commented on by every single baseball writer/blogger/teammate.

And, again, I'm OK with him getting as much money as he possibly can get, particularly because he's nowhere near as rich as most of his teammates were or will be shortly, but "Dancing with the Stars" and playing with the Harlem Globetrotters? Who really gives a horsefeathers?

So just scroll/swipe right by any articles/tweets that mention David Ross in your timeline, even on a "busy" David Ross news day there's what maybe 10 tweets about him? It takes less than a second to scroll right by a tweet.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:54 pm

apete6 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

A lot of people or he wouldn't be invited to do this stuff. I, for one, enjoy it. I like seeing nice guys get these opportunities instead of talented horsefeathers.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:57 pm

apete6 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

you can choose to ignore that stuff if you so desire.

i don't care if any 2016 cubs player decides to shill huggies, depend adult diapers or slinkies at this point: they've won the world series and let them reap the rewards for doing so. rather david ross be on dancing with the stars than turn full curt shilling and start spewing hate about immigants.
4 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:00 pm

100% of my David Ross-related information comes directly from this thread
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:22 pm

david ross rules and him being on dancing with the stars is great. i hope the 2016 cubs pop up everywhere for the next decade and all the other fan bases hate us.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:22 pm

apete6 wrote:And, again, I'm OK with him getting as much money as he possibly can get, particularly because he's nowhere near as rich as most of his teammates were or will be shortly

good attitude, I stand it with you

but "Dancing with the Stars" and playing with the Harlem Globetrotters?

but, you just...

Who really gives a horsefeathers?

exactly?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 pm

"I'm sick of the guys from the Cubs team that won the World Series 4 months ago," said insane person.
13 x
► Show Spoiler

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:"I'm sick of the guys from the Cubs team that won the World Series 4 months ago," said insane person.

The Cubs aren't winning the right way. You're supposed to just hand the trophy back to the commissioner and go right back to practice..
6 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Hardball times makes a case for David Ross as the best backup catcher since WW2

http://www.hardballtimes.com/an-elegy-f ... eneration/

And the tallest midget.
0 x

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 am

Cubswin11 wrote:So just scroll/swipe right by any articles/tweets that mention David Ross in your timeline, even on a "busy" David Ross news day there's what maybe 10 tweets about him? It takes less than a second to scroll right by a tweet.

i'd swipe right on David Ross

this has been my attempt at a tinder joke thank you
3 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:39 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:"I'm sick of the guys from the Cubs team that won the World Series 4 months ago," said insane person.

I've sworn off watching baseball games this year, so as to not be reminded of that terrible, no-good World Series championship.
3 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”