"horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:22 am

He is too patient, IMO. He sees the ball really well, but seemingly has too much faith in the ump, if that makes sense. He lets a ton of close to borderline pitches go that he rightly sees as balls, but he doesn't seem to swing defensively nearly as much as you see a lot of guys who see the ball well do.
5 x
► Show Spoiler

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:36 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:He is too patient, IMO. He sees the ball really well, but seemingly has too much faith in the ump, if that makes sense. He lets a ton of close to borderline pitches go that he rightly sees as balls, but he doesn't seem to swing defensively nearly as much as you see a lot of guys who see the ball well do.

I agree.

I've looked into the "Schwarber keeps getting screwed" thing, and I don't think that's really happening.

Looking at Baseball Savant, of 216 batters that have seen 1,500 pitches, Schwarber has had the 33rd highest % of pitches go for called strikes on pitches outside the zone. Quite high, but it's not like he is lapping the league or anything.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast ... =0#results

In 2-strike counts, he ranks 3rd. This could be because he keeps getting screwed in the worst spots, or maybe it has something to do with him being more patient than he should with 2 strikes.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast ... =0#results

Regardless, it's definitely hurt him this year. But we should expect that. Looking at those same 216 players, Schwarber ranks 5th in % of pitches that are on the "edges" -- in and out of the zone. A lot of this depends on how you define the zone. But pitchers don't want to serve him meatballs and they know he won't chase, so they nibble. And he doesn't bite. He's going to have a ton of PAs that are left up to umpires (who suck).

He might just need to tweak his approach with 2 strikes, or with guys on base, or late in games.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:39 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:He is too patient, IMO. He sees the ball really well, but seemingly has too much faith in the ump, if that makes sense. He lets a ton of close to borderline pitches go that he rightly sees as balls, but he doesn't seem to swing defensively nearly as much as you see a lot of guys who see the ball well do.

On top of this he also seems to look like he’s sitting on a specific pitch/location too often, especially when he’s down in the count instead of being reactive to whatever is thrown in terms of pitch type and location. I’m fine with sitting on a pitch/location in an advantageous count but he seems to do it a lot when he needs to be in more protect/contact mode.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Screw Pitchers

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:42 am

So what we're saying is that if MLB gets off their asses and adopts robot umps, he's babe ruth.
0 x
Spoiler: show

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:58 am

Tim wrote:So what we're saying is that if MLB gets off their asses and adopts robot umps, he's somehow babe ruth.

Ftfy
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:12 am

i feel like duke puts more thought/effort/intelligence in his posts on here than I did putting together my thesis
2 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:26 am

weis21 wrote:i feel like duke puts more thought/effort/intelligence in his posts on here than I did putting together my thesis

There's no question I put more effort into my posts here than I did on any schoolwork -- or work of any kind -- ever.
6 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:33 am

Tim wrote:So what we're saying is that if MLB gets off their asses and adopts robot umps, he's babe ruth.

Suddenly, Zobrist is my hero
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:31 am

Duke Silver wrote:Also, beyond it being bad, Schwarber's had a really weird season in high-leverage. His BB% is 17.9% and his K% is 33.9%. I don't know if that's because he's being more patient -- to a detriment -- or what. It could just be that he's had some weird PAs and is constantly finding himself in deep counts that he can't control as much.

This is purely anecdotal, but it feels like he gets called out on close pitches way more than anyone else on the team. His patience should be helping him, but he's being screwed on marginal pitches
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Derwood wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Also, beyond it being bad, Schwarber's had a really weird season in high-leverage. His BB% is 17.9% and his K% is 33.9%. I don't know if that's because he's being more patient -- to a detriment -- or what. It could just be that he's had some weird PAs and is constantly finding himself in deep counts that he can't control as much.

This is purely anecdotal, but it feels like he gets called out on close pitches way more than anyone else on the team. His patience should be helping him, but he's being screwed on marginal pitches

0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I'd love to see some research on the thesis: the strikezone is bigger in high-leverage situations. (not with Schwarber; overall)

or

Star players (hitters or pitchers) get more help with the strikezone in high leverage situations.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:15 pm

It's not even necessarily either of those scenarios with him; to me, it seems like plenty of times where he simply doesn't try to fight off a pitch when a lot of other hitters would, like he just assumes, "oh, of course that's a ball."
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It's not even necessarily either of those scenarios with him; to me, it seems like plenty of times where he simply doesn't try to fight off a pitch when a lot of other hitters would, like he just assumes, "oh, of course that's a ball."

Yeah, my thought has nothing to do with Schwarber. Total tangent.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 pm

In Sharma’s latest article he said Schwarber’s back injury was actually a disc issue and it’s something that would or could scare interested teams off from trading for him.

Oh, shocking another Cubs player had an actual underlying injury instead of it just being a minor thing that they thought it was. Bang up job once again medical staff, Gryzlo you MF’er.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:In Sharma’s latest article he said Schwarber’s back injury was actually a disc issue and it’s something that would or could scare interested teams off from trading for him.

Oh, shocking another Cubs player had an actual underlying injury instead of it just being a minor thing that they thought it was. Bang up job once again medical staff, Gryzlo you MF’er.

As long as we are firing everyone can the medical staff go now too?
2 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”