"horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4885
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 256
x 321

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 pm

I’m all for Schwarber-Bryant-Rizzo at the top of the lineup next year.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 19301
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3012
x 2973

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I’m all for Schwarber-Bryant-Rizzo at the top of the lineup next year.

Yup and Almora at leadoff vs LHP. Wouldn’t mind pitcher batting 8th in Schwarber leadoff games either and Russell or Zobrist hitting 9th.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66269
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 719
x 1473

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 pm

I'm all for trying it, but we were excited for it last year, too, and it was a disaster
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 19301
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3012
x 2973

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Derwood wrote:I'm all for trying it, but we were excited for it last year, too, and it was a disaster

Schwarber was a lot better after the demotion and I think we all underestimed (and were jaded by the WS performance) how the lost year of 2016 would affect him and he really should’ve started 2017 in AAA. The guy only played in 71 MLB games (~280 PAs) then missed an entire year at age 23 and was just throw right back in to MLB after not playing for a whole year. That was kinda crazy/stupid when you think about it.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66269
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 719
x 1473

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I'm all for trying it, but we were excited for it last year, too, and it was a disaster

Schwarber was a lot better after the demotion and I think we all underestimed (and were jaded by the WS performance) how the lost year of 2016 would affect him and he really should’ve started 2017 in AAA. The guy only played in 71 MLB games (~280 PAs) then missed an entire year at age 23 and was just throw right back in to MLB after not playing for a whole year. That was kinda crazy/stupid when you think about it.


Sure, and as I said, I'm willing to give it a try. I'm just not sure his OBP will merit leading off
0 x

User avatar
treebird
chinese food
Posts: 20572
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:25 am
x 2060
x 1248

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby treebird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Derwood wrote:I'm all for trying it, but we were excited for it last year, too, and it was a disaster


what do you think you are contributing here
5 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 19301
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3012
x 2973

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Derwood wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I'm all for trying it, but we were excited for it last year, too, and it was a disaster

Schwarber was a lot better after the demotion and I think we all underestimed (and were jaded by the WS performance) how the lost year of 2016 would affect him and he really should’ve started 2017 in AAA. The guy only played in 71 MLB games (~280 PAs) then missed an entire year at age 23 and was just throw right back in to MLB after not playing for a whole year. That was kinda crazy/stupid when you think about it.


Sure, and as I said, I'm willing to give it a try. I'm just not sure his OBP will merit leading off

He had a .378 wOBA after the demotion
0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22060
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 599
x 1000

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 pm

you're all about to get a sweet adam dunn reference dropped on your asses
1 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4885
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 256
x 321

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:I’m all for Schwarber-Bryant-Rizzo at the top of the lineup next year.

Yup and Almora at leadoff vs LHP. Wouldn’t mind pitcher batting 8th in Schwarber leadoff games either and Russell or Zobrist hitting 9th.


Pass, Schwarber’s going to mash and if anyone it’s Contreras or Bryant vs LHs.

JMHT I think the Cubs offense is going to be the best in baseball next year and Schwarber will be a huge part of it. Guy hit .334/.432/619 in 665 MiL PAs, .340/.430/.607 in 800+ NCAA PAs, roughly .350/.450/.550 in over 200 Cape Cod, and came off a major knee injury to hit .417/.500/.471 in the WS with just 4 Ks in 20 PAs. Going into his age 25 he’s a decent bet to breakout offensively next year. While I do think he will take a big hit offensively against LHs, not enough to lose PAs to Almora.

Another hot take is that Almora’s bat is still underwhelming. Same situation going into 2018 - a guy who might BABIP to an above average slash line in a given year but not enough secondary skills to make him someone the Cubs should bank on giving 400+ PAs or a leadoff job to next year.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65091
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3936
x 4009

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:41 pm

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2181 ... -body-game

"Everyone is caught up in the weight-loss thing," Schwarber said between workouts Friday. "I'm not. I'm training my body for 162 games times nine innings or maybe more. I want to be an MVP. I want to be a Gold Glover. I want to set my standards really high."


Schwarber has rid himself of the brace on his leg that as recently as last spring he said he thought he would wear for the rest of his career. Not anymore. With weight loss has come less stress on his surgically repaired left knee. Anyway, Murphy believes the brace was a crutch.

"The guy came out of the womb hitting a baseball," the trainer said. "Anything you put on his body hinders that."


"The swing is not bad, just making it more functional," Schwarber said. "I'm addressing some weaknesses. And you want to keep your strengths still strong."

If you're concerned that Schwarber has lost some power with his loss of weight, watching him crush balls over the fence off a tee would quickly put you at ease. It takes a lot of strength to hit a ball 400 feet without the velocity of a pitch aiding the process.


But the goal for 2018 isn't to hit them farther. It's to hit them more frequently. Last season, Schwarber missed on nearly 30 percent of his swings, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That was 5 percent more than the league average.

"I'll get with Chili [Davis] in the spring, and we'll come up with a plan," Schwarber said. "He's seen some video, but we haven't gone in depth."


"He's always been someone teams have had interest in, I guess, but we probably have the most interest," Epstein said of Schwarber last week at the winter meetings.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73318
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7475
x 10010

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 pm

The brace thing is interesting; I wonder how much they could throw off someone not used to wearing one. I'd have to imagine quite a bit, especially if you can't stop focusing on it.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11612
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 458
x 811

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby sneakypower » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:34 pm

It takes a lot of strength to hit a ball 400 feet without the velocity of a pitch aiding the process.

as an aside, this has been almost thoroughly debunked; estimated that each extra MPH adds just about a foot in distance, and that doesn't account for slower speed pitches being vastly easier to barrel
0 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54995
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 365
x 4968

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:35 pm

sneakypower wrote:
It takes a lot of strength to hit a ball 400 feet without the velocity of a pitch aiding the process.

as an aside, this has been almost thoroughly debunked; estimated that each extra MPH adds just about a foot in distance, and that doesn't account for slower speed pitches being vastly easier to barrel


In comparison to a ball on a tee though? Soft toss/BP speeds sure, but hitting a ball at a standstill 400 feet is no joke.
0 x

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11612
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 458
x 811

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby sneakypower » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:04 pm

oh yeah i must've skimmed over that detail
0 x
Image

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 488
x 240

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:50 pm

sneakypower wrote:oh yeah i must've skimmed over that detail


You literally bolded the words "without the velocity of a pitch"
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59927
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6937
x 4196

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby David » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:53 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
sneakypower wrote:oh yeah i must've skimmed over that detail


You literally bolded the words "without the velocity of a pitch"


He was thinking bp style tossing compared to real pitching
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3603
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 67
x 306

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Bull » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:00 pm

David wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
sneakypower wrote:oh yeah i must've skimmed over that detail


You literally bolded the words "without the velocity of a pitch"


He was thinking bp style tossing compared to real pitching

So even if we go with 1 foot added per mph, he’d be adding 80-100 ft with live pitching. 480-500 ft bombs. Dude is a beast.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Splendid Splinter
All-Star
Posts: 2136
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am
x 5180
x 127

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Splendid Splinter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 am



Saw somewhere that he's down to 195 from 235 last year although I'm not sure if that's true.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59927
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6937
x 4196

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby David » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm

1 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8036
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Heavenston
x 947
x 438

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby ConstableRabbit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 pm

David wrote:

I generally love this kind of soft stuff but showing Kyle single-repping a 135 hexbar deadlift in a "he's-in-shape" video when he can probably get closer to 600 is hilarious.
0 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

User avatar
ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8036
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Heavenston
x 947
x 438

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby ConstableRabbit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm

And who else thought he was wearing a Dominos hat?
2 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54995
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 365
x 4968

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 pm

ConstableRabbit wrote:I generally love this kind of soft stuff but showing Kyle single-repping a 135 hexbar deadlift in a "he's-in-shape" video when he can probably get closer to 600 is hilarious.


and what's with him hitting off a tee, a 6 year old can do that but I know Kyle can hit 95 mph fastballs
8 x

User avatar
ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8036
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Heavenston
x 947
x 438

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby ConstableRabbit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
ConstableRabbit wrote:I generally love this kind of soft stuff but showing Kyle single-repping a 135 hexbar deadlift in a "he's-in-shape" video when he can probably get closer to 600 is hilarious.


and what's with him hitting off a tee, a 6 year old can do that but I know Kyle can hit 95 mph fastballs

That's... not the same thing. If Kyle is deadlifting 135lbs, he's doing 100 reps. The point was that someone had one second to show him weightlifting in a video and chose an unimpressive weight.
0 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54995
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 365
x 4968

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm

ConstableRabbit wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
ConstableRabbit wrote:I generally love this kind of soft stuff but showing Kyle single-repping a 135 hexbar deadlift in a "he's-in-shape" video when he can probably get closer to 600 is hilarious.


and what's with him hitting off a tee, a 6 year old can do that but I know Kyle can hit 95 mph fastballs

That's... not the same thing. If Kyle is deadlifting 135lbs, he's doing 100 reps. The point was that someone had one second to show him weightlifting in a video and chose an unimpressive weight.


I was mostly just messing with you, but there's a nugget of truth that training and improving doesn't require the most impressive physical achievements all the time, so I don't really notice it in a hype video about his training. I think there might be two 45 plates on each side too, but I'm not much of a weight lifter so I'll take your word for it.
0 x

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 488
x 240

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm

The first time I saw a picture of Kyle and Paige sitting on a balcony this offseason I legit assumed she was his sister. They kinda look like they could be related IMO.
0 x


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Derwood, TomtheBombadil and 2 guests