"horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Hunter
Starter

Re: Re:

Postby Hunter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Bull wrote:
d_money wrote:The Thing is a DH. I think yesterday’s error punctuated the need for him to be moved sooner rather than later. Happ becomes the everyday LF next year.

nah, it was a bad play, but nothing worse than some other "great" left fielders have made.

He'll be a DH on the downhill side of his career, but don't write him off on one play. He got a little lazy. My guess is it will motivate him.

I don't think it is laziness. He just doesn't read the ball well or see it some times. If you watch the play again, you can clearly see him jogging before he realizes he is out of position and he tries to sprint to the ball. He routinely does this. Some of his more "spectacular" catches were because he was out of position on the ball and managed to run it down.
1 x

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Hunter wrote:
Bull wrote:
d_money wrote:The Thing is a DH. I think yesterday’s error punctuated the need for him to be moved sooner rather than later. Happ becomes the everyday LF next year.

nah, it was a bad play, but nothing worse than some other "great" left fielders have made.

He'll be a DH on the downhill side of his career, but don't write him off on one play. He got a little lazy. My guess is it will motivate him.

I don't think it is laziness. He just doesn't read the ball well or see it some times. If you watch the play again, you can clearly see him jogging before he realizes he is out of position and he tries to sprint to the ball. He routinely does this. Some of his more "spectacular" catches were because he was out of position on the ball and managed to run it down.

Show your work.

Because the defensive metrics out there disagree with you, and no offense, but you're just a guy on a message board.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Hunter wrote:
Bull wrote:

I'm talking about the second error. He frustratedly slapped at the ball instead of going down and getting it. It may have been more a desire to turn and make a quick throw, rather than laziness or frustration though. Don't try to Javy, Kyle. Just go back to Kyling.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Schwarber's problem on that ball is a very coachable one. the only mistake he made was drifting to the ball instead of getting to the spot.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Agony and Ivy wrote:
Hunter wrote:
Bull wrote:

Show your work.

Because the defensive metrics out there disagree with you, and no offense, but you're just a guy on a message board.

-9 DRS in 800 innings is not good

but if he hits .250 like in the 2nd half, it's largely a non-issue
0 x

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:06 pm

sneakypower wrote:
Agony and Ivy wrote:
Hunter wrote:

Show your work.

-9 DRS in 800 innings is not good

but if he hits .250 like in the 2nd half, it's largely a non-issue

3.4 UZR and a 7.5 UZR/150. So that's pretty good, as it's better than any season Ryan Bruan put up in his career.
0 x

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm

that's a better UZR than Kevin Kiermaier, which i, uh, totally believe
0 x

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Schwarber's 6th-worst OF in baseball for statcast's Outs Above Average
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/outs_above_average

UZR's filtering out so many plays with shifts and whatever else now (from what i recall) that its findings don't intuitively make a whole lot of sense anymore to me
0 x

Fro
All-Star

Postby Fro » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:08 pm

We would have lost yesterday if not for Schwarber's pinch-hit single (that dented the Nats' outfield wall and would have been a double had it not bounced right to Harper).

So he made up for it, but I'm biased.

He will be clutch going forward in the playoffs.
2 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:37 pm

I really hope Schwarber doesn't get traded this offseason. I may be meatballing it here but I love this kid and want to see him play for the Cubs for a long time.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Old Style wrote:I really hope Schwarber doesn't get traded this offseason. I may be meatballing it here but I love this kid and want to see him play for the Cubs for a long time.

Theo - is that you?
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Old Style wrote:I really hope Schwarber doesn't get traded this offseason. I may be meatballing it here but I love this kid and want to see him play for the Cubs for a long time.

Schwarber's potential at the plate as a lefty kind of version of KB + leadership qualities vs. Happ's positional/hitting versatility + he might kill Theo and/or Jed if he gets traded to the wrong place.

Itll be an interesting decision for Theo to make, but I do think 1 of these guys will be on the move this offseason.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Yeah I don’t want him to go and don’t think they will/want to trade him either. Happ is the most likely to go for me with Almora next.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

Yeah I don’t want him to go and don’t think they will/want to trade him either. Happ is the most likely to go for me with Almora next.

I don't want Schwarber to go, but I honestly think I'd rather lose him than Almora right now.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Banedon wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

I don't want Schwarber to go, but I honestly think I'd rather lose him than Almora right now.

On Albert....

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/a ... tein-boras

“He just got better and better as the year went on,” Epstein said. “I told him in our (exit) meeting: ‘Look, I'm sure you want me to sit here and say you're an everyday player, hands down, next year. You might be. I can’t promise you that yet. We have to see how everything evolves in the offseason. But I can promise you more. You will have more responsibility. You will have more of a role than you had this year. We’ll see how much more that is, and what you can grow into.’

“He’s excited. He’s moving closer to our spring-training facility in Arizona and ready to get to work.”
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:06 am

nvm
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:43 pm

If Conforto can get it together for those pansies in NY then surely Best Shape of his Life Schwarber will too.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

"horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:30 pm

If his power drops because he lost some HR fuel im gonna be pissed
0 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Re:

Postby shnsajax » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:35 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:If his power drops because he lost some HR fuel im gonna be pissed

If his power drops from losing some of his baby fat then every nutritionist and trainer on the Cubs should be fired
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 pm

0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/Kelly_Crull/status/940659390532804608

That's a big "IF". Of course "if he's hitting like he can", he would look good in the middle of the lineup too.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/Kelly_Crull/status/940659390532804608

That's a big "IF". Of course "if he's hitting like he can", he would look good in the middle of the lineup too.

That's his point. The problem wasn't Schwarber was hitting leadoff. The problem was Schwarber was hitting like crap.

We can argue all day as to whether there was a mental thing going on where Schwarber was altering his approach as a result of that lineup spot, but we have no way of knowing that.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”