"horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:40 am

i dunno if "not being fat" makes you a better hitter but schwarber really does look like a different human out there
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i dunno if "not being fat" makes you a better hitter but schwarber really does look like a different human out there

You know what, I'll go ahead and stick my neck out and say it -- "not being fat" makes you a better hitter. There... I said it. Radical statement I know, but it needed to be said.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 pm

6 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:58 pm

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cubs/p ... ack-season

Besides the time Schwarber put in at the gym during the offseason, he spent money on improving his 2018 forecast. At a cost of about $3,500, he bought a new pitching machine. For those cynics who said losing weight alone wouldn’t make him hit better, Schwarber answered by taking swings -- a lot of them. In an effort to play every day -- not just against right-handers -- he positioned the machine on the left side of the pitcher’s mound and set it to throw all sorts of pitches, from fastballs to curves. Over and over again, Schwarber mimicked hitting off a lefty. The results showed up this spring.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Banedon wrote:http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/46500/welcome-to-kyle-schwarbers-comeback-season

Besides the time Schwarber put in at the gym during the offseason, he spent money on improving his 2018 forecast. At a cost of about $3,500, he bought a new pitching machine. For those cynics who said losing weight alone wouldn’t make him hit better, Schwarber answered by taking swings -- a lot of them. In an effort to play every day -- not just against right-handers -- he positioned the machine on the left side of the pitcher’s mound and set it to throw all sorts of pitches, from fastballs to curves. Over and over again, Schwarber mimicked hitting off a lefty. The results showed up this spring.

i'm guessing that's that same crazy machine KB has at home and the cubs have at their facilities where you can set the thing to imitate any pitcher
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:32 pm

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/46500/welcome-to-kyle-schwarbers-comeback-season

i'm guessing that's that same crazy machine KB has at home and the cubs have at their facilities where you can set the thing to imitate any pitcher

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-Baseball-Pitching-Machine-Sports/dp/B0058QQF5A

Not Prime eligible
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:
David wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-Baseball-Pitching-Machine-Sports/dp/B0058QQF5A

Not Prime eligible

The unique three-wheel design allows you to see the ball clearly all the way through the feeding motion and release, just like a live pitcher.

I like how this kinda makes pitching sound like this Cronenbergian nightmare, where pitchers are somehow being force-fed and then horrifically expelling the ball.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:44 pm

If the players want these machines, I don't know why teams wouldn't just give them to their players begin with.

"Oh, you want this advanced pitching machine to make yourself better? Sorry kid, it's the offseason, do you know who owns this team?"
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:47 pm

The Logan wrote:If the players want these machines, I don't know why teams wouldn't just give them to their players begin with.

0 x
► Show Spoiler

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
The Logan wrote:If the players want these machines, I don't know why teams wouldn't just give them to their players begin with.

4 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Speaking of pitching machines. On my traveling little league one of the dads bought a JUGGS machines for us. The first day he got it (he was also a neighbor and his son played on the team with me and brother) he picked us up and took us to our field to meet our coach to try it out and for some reason he had it aimed towards the OF for fly balls and he cranks the thing up all the way (not really knowing what the hell he was doing) and I’ve never seen a ball travel further when he put it in. The ball took off over the OF fence in to the houses/neighborhood a good 200+ feet behind it and broke a window. That was the last time we used it for flyball practice and only used it for BP. I know, cool story.

It was one of these things...

1 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:57 pm

7 x
► Show Spoiler

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Schwarber spray heatmap on ground balls and line drives last year:

Schwarber spray heatmap on ground balls and line drives this year:

Schwarber spray heatmap on fly balls last year:

Schwarber spray heatmap on fly balls this year:

Schwarber had 4 base hits on ground balls to the left side of straightaway center field last year. He already has 5 this year.
9 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:13 pm

That's sexy. Basically hitting the ball hard and in spots on the field when it isn't going out of the park where the fielders aren't and when he tries to power one it's going to where it should be going in the air. I wonder how much longer such an exaggerated shift will be kept on him if he keeps going the other way so well and basically the only time it's going in the air/pull side it's to the power alley.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:That's sexy. Basically hitting the ball hard and in spots on the field when it isn't going out of the park where the fielders aren't and when he tries to power one it's going to where it should be going in the air. I wonder how much longer such an exaggerated shift will be kept on him if he keeps going the other way so well and basically the only time it's going in the air/pull side it's to the power alley.

Also a stark contrast between how unsexy last year was. Man, he was so horsefeathers up. Be my big, sexy dongsmith and not that other guy, Kyle.
2 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:That's sexy. Basically hitting the ball hard and in spots on the field when it isn't going out of the park where the fielders aren't and when he tries to power one it's going to where it should be going in the air. I wonder how much longer such an exaggerated shift will be kept on him if he keeps going the other way so well and basically the only time it's going in the air/pull side it's to the power alley.

Also a stark contrast between how unsexy last year was. Man, he was so horsefeathers up. Be my big, sexy dongsmith and not that other guy, Kyle.

crazy thing about 2017 was kyle never looked right. even after he came back up and got regular playing time, every at bat looked like a challenge. And he still hit 30 bombs. If there's actually more packed away in there, it's crazy to think about what he could do
2 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Current NL Ranks:

7th in ISO (.283; Baez 1st, who is best in the majors)
9th in BB% (17.2%; best on team)
10th in wOBA (.417; Baez and Bryant are 3rd and 5th in NL)
10th in OPS (.972; Baez 2nd, Bryant 5th)
13th in OBP (.406; Bryant 2nd)
4 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Slow afternoon at work so I'm watching Game 7 of the WS again...and it's really weird seeing fat Schwarber again.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 pm

The Logan wrote:Current NL Ranks:

7th in ISO (.283; Baez 1st, who is best in the majors)
9th in BB% (17.2%; best on team)
10th in wOBA (.417; Baez and Bryant are 3rd and 5th in NL)
10th in OPS (.972; Baez 2nd, Bryant 5th)
13th in OBP (.406; Bryant 2nd)

Schwarbs for leadoff. And for pushing some other chump out of town long term.

Great work on the heat maps, btw Duke. I’m hoping this Chili Davis effect ends up being real. There have been times in the past when the whole team was going oppo and it seemed to result in less strikeouts and better results in general. But then they have success and get pull happy again and the thing falls apart a bit. Then they remember the oppo thing and come back around. If Chili can get Javy and Schwarber to permanently incorporate this approach then he’s really done something.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Also you know he's one of those guys who is going to hit 300 pounds within two years of retirement. Let him have his brief, sexy prime.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:58 pm

So for some reason in my head, I've always compared Schwarber and Conforto, probably because keith law kept [expletive] on schwarber in the minors and fawning over conforto.

They're a pretty good illustration why none of us know anything and nothing matters.

They're both the same age (Scwharbs is a whole 4 days younger,) same position, swing from the same side etc.

So Schwarber hits AA and AAA in 2015 and goes bananas, posting a WOBA of .461 and .444. Conforto reaches AA that year and posts a WOBA of .405.

So I'm feeling justified, like ok, Kyle is a better pure hitter, great!

Then they both get called up and play roughly the same amount of games (69 for schwarber nice) and 55 for Conforto. They post identical 1.9 WAR. Schwarber is heavily offense while Conforto is more balanced.

OK well, they're equals, whatever!

2016 is a lost regular season for Schwarber, but Conforto plays 109 games and is ass — .724 OPS, negative in the field, less than 1 WAR. Schwarber comes back and crushes the postseason and I'm feeling justified again. Sure he missed the regular season but he's such a pure hitter he can dominate the best AL team even while looking like Bartolo Colon and not having swung at live pitching for 7 months!

Then 2017 happens and Schwarber is lost for most of the year, hits a lot of bombs but looks lost in LF most of the year and strikes out way too much. He was better after his callup but meanwhile Conforto is on pace for a 6 WAR season before his injury. horsefeathers! I was wrong!

Now we're 1/8th of the way through 2018 and Schwarbs is on pace for a 5 WAR season while Conforto is just sitting at the plate afraid to swing (something like 45 percent of his plate appearances end in a walk or a strikeout.)

Anyway, I don't know horsefeathers except I love dongs, and my man Kyle is leading in that category no matter if he's fat or skinny or good or bad.
8 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:44 pm

5 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:So for some reason in my head, I've always compared Schwarber and Conforto, probably because keith law kept [expletive] on schwarber in the minors and fawning over conforto.

One reason you might compare them is that they were linked together during their draft. After Jeff Hoffman had TJS, Conforto became the most popular Cubs pick in mocks and was normally considered the best college bat in the draft. Schwarber only gained steam in media in the days right before the draft.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:11 am

Schwarber's got a 22.9% K%.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:15 am

homeboy is getting 50 dongs this year