Page 22 of 28

Re: RE: Re:

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:50 pm
by Backtobanks
BigSlick wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
BigSlick wrote:
He’s not one of the best but he’s had several seasons to prove he’s solidly average or above average defensively. You should drop this point of argument because you’re losing it.

He’s totally fine as an outfielder.


Schwarber has worked hard to be an OF, has made good progress, and he has a very strong arm for a LF, but anyone who thinks he is one of the best or above average defensively is delusional.

I didn’t say he was one of the best, but he is average and has had an above average season. Stow your argument away, it’s materially and objectively wrong.


You said " he’s solidly average or above average defensively". Neither is true. I repeat what I said before, he is playing LF because the NL doesn't have a DH and LF (or 1B) are the places you hide big-time sluggers with defensive liabilities.

Re: RE: Re:

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:07 pm
by Derwood
Backtobanks wrote:
BigSlick wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Schwarber has worked hard to be an OF, has made good progress, and he has a very strong arm for a LF, but anyone who thinks he is one of the best or above average defensively is delusional.

I didn’t say he was one of the best, but he is average and has had an above average season. Stow your argument away, it’s materially and objectively wrong.


You said " he’s solidly average or above average defensively". Neither is true.


The numbers say otherwise

Re: RE: Re:

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:53 am
by BigSlick
Backtobanks wrote:
BigSlick wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Schwarber has worked hard to be an OF, has made good progress, and he has a very strong arm for a LF, but anyone who thinks he is one of the best or above average defensively is delusional.

I didn’t say he was one of the best, but he is average and has had an above average season. Stow your argument away, it’s materially and objectively wrong.


You said " he’s solidly average or above average defensively". Neither is true. I repeat what I said before, he is playing LF because the NL doesn't have a DH and LF (or 1B) are the places you hide big-time sluggers with defensive liabilities.

No you're wrong. I mean you're just totally wrong by all measures of man and god

Provide the numbers that say the opposite or go away

Re: RE: Re:

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:32 am
by soccer10k
BigSlick wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
BigSlick wrote:I didn’t say he was one of the best, but he is average and has had an above average season. Stow your argument away, it’s materially and objectively wrong.


You said " he’s solidly average or above average defensively". Neither is true. I repeat what I said before, he is playing LF because the NL doesn't have a DH and LF (or 1B) are the places you hide big-time sluggers with defensive liabilities.

No you're wrong. I mean you're just totally wrong by all measures of man and god

Provide the numbers that say the opposite or go away


He made a couple bad plays in the 2015 NLCS so he was and will always be terrible defensively.

Re: RE: Re:

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:27 am
by Backtobanks
Derwood wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
BigSlick wrote:I didn’t say he was one of the best, but he is average and has had an above average season. Stow your argument away, it’s materially and objectively wrong.


You said " he’s solidly average or above average defensively". Neither is true.


The numbers say otherwise


Tell that to Maddon when he takes him out late in the game for defensive reasons.

Re: RE: Re:

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:06 pm
by Bull
Backtobanks wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
You said " he’s solidly average or above average defensively". Neither is true.


The numbers say otherwise


Tell that to Maddon when he takes him out late in the game for defensive reasons.

While I don’t agree with your overall argument, this point kind of makes the discussion irrelevant and your argument functionally true.

Re: RE: Re:

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:48 pm
by jersey cubs fan
Bull wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Derwood wrote:
The numbers say otherwise


Tell that to Maddon when he takes him out late in the game for defensive reasons.

While I don’t agree with your overall argument, this point kind of makes the discussion irrelevant and your argument functionally true.

What? How? Joe Maddon making a decision doesn’t make it the right decision. And if you can pull an above average defender for a better defender late it doesn’t make the above average defender below average. His argument is demonstrably wrong.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:29 pm
by CyHawk_Cub
This has been similar to watching historians taking down Dinesh D'Souza on Twitter the past few years.

Re: RE: Re:

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:07 pm
by Bull
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Bull wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Tell that to Maddon when he takes him out late in the game for defensive reasons.

While I don’t agree with your overall argument, this point kind of makes the discussion irrelevant and your argument functionally true.

What? How? Joe Maddon making a decision doesn’t make it the right decision. And if you can pull an above average defender for a better defender late it doesn’t make the above average defender below average. His argument is demonstrably wrong.

Demonstrably wrong but functionally true if Maddon uses him in ways that minimize his defensive contributions, like DHing him and removing him late in close games.

I definitely overstated the point, but he contributes less defensively if he’s not allowed to contribute defensively,

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:58 am
by Sammy Sofa
Does homeboy have any options left?

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm
by Backtobanks
Sammy Sofa wrote:Does homeboy have any options left?



He's too valuable defensively to send him down. :lol:

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:52 pm
by Sammy Sofa
The smiley just really sells the subtle hilarity of a really, really well-crafted joke.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:12 pm
by Ding Dong Johnson
Sammy Sofa wrote:The smiley just really sells the subtle hilarity of a really, really well-crafted joke.

I wanted to click that heart, but the emoji turned me away.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:15 pm
by The_Achiever
Need to get my boy Mark "Gooney" Zagunis more ABs.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:36 pm
by Sammy Sofa
More like need to get everybody's boy David "Boy Toy Boat" Bote some more AB's.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:53 am
by philosophizer75

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm
by Cubswin11
A little glimmer of hope when we are all kinda down on him..... he needs to start pounding balls but the discipline seems up to his normal level (if not improved with the Ks).


Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:02 pm
by Sammy Sofa
He's "there's always next *RANDOM TIME PERIOD*..." personified.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 pm
by Cubswin11
Sammy Sofa wrote:He's "there's always next *RANDOM TIME PERIOD*..." personified.

With Zobrist out I wouldn’t mind seeing him get some looks at leadoff vs RHP. Maybe something will click with the power hitting there and KB behind him. At least this current version of him is getting on base.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:12 pm
by Sammy Sofa
I said the same thing in the game thread; if they're not going to do the smart thing of batting some combo of Bryant, Rizzo, Baez and Contreras 1-4, then put Schwarber at the top since he's getting on base. Everyone else is worthless.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 pm
by Banedon
Sammy Sofa wrote:I said the same thing in the game thread; if they're not going to do the smart thing of batting some combo of Bryant, Rizzo, Baez and Contreras 1-4, then put Schwarber at the top since he's getting on base. Everyone else is worthless.


When healthy, Descalso has done a pretty nice job in the leadoff spot.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 pm
by Sammy Sofa
Homeboy is slashing .170 .279 .283 .562 over the last month, so we might be past "he's playing hurt" into "he just sucks and is old"-territory*.

















*I think he's a turd player, so I MIGHT be biased.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:27 pm
by Bryant's Disco Ball
I know I sound like Jim Hendry, but I want that consistent leadoff hitter so bad. A guy who gets on base and has some speed.

Basically, I miss Dexter.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm
by squally1313
I'm less interested in 'who has done well in the leadoff spot' than I am 'players who get on base a lot'. Descalco and Schwarber essentially put up the same numbers for that last year, but I'll take Schwarber's potential going forward as the player more likely to get on base.

That being said, if I wasn't feeling lazy and if I didn't unconditionally love our large adult son, this is where I'd recalculate his season OBP/last 20 games OBP without those 4 IBBs he got in the last few days thanks for him batting in front of trash like Russell, Almora, etc.

Re: "Time makes fools of us all" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 pm
by Sammy Sofa
Last year was the only time Descalso barely put up an OBP justifying him getting that many ABs, so....no.

Man, what a sham player who rode a fluke age 31 season. It's such a neon-lit outlier in terms of offensive value from the rest of his bum career.