Justin Wilson: Somehow Carnie Wilson

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 am

some day somebody's gonna make you want to turn around and say goodbye
6 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Justin Wilson: Somehow Carnie Wilson

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 am

More like Wilson from Home Improvement since watching him also makes me wish I was dead.
3 x
► Show Spoiler

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:39 am

more like wilson from castaway because i want to rub my blood on him and leave him in the ocean
19 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:41 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:more like wilson from castaway because i want to rub my blood on him and leave him in the ocean

He sucks so much he doesn't deserve such a nice death
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:42 am

John Grabow 2.0
3 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:44 am

I'm surprised such level-headed people have put so much stock in such a small sample.

Duensing had like an 8 ERA after his first 10 or so innings this year.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I'm surprised such level-headed people have put so much stock in such a small sample.

I know I've said it before, even to you. His stuff just looks so pedestrian outside of a fast, fastball. He can't control the FB or control or command anything off-spead or with movement. I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for him being more than a slightly above replacement level relief pitcher, which fine we have like 3-4 guys who are really good. Like when Carl and Strop have gone bad before the nastiness of the stuff you can still see is there it's jus they get wild from time to time but the stuff still looks good. Wilson's stuff just isn't very good.

Also we brought Duensing is as like the last guy in the pen, if we have to cut him it only costs some money deal. We brought Wilson in to have another elite option at end of games/high leverage spots (or at least paid a price that reflects that).
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:50 am

I swore I'd never do this, but it's time to use my powers for good.

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/articl ... ad-pitcher
3 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Justin Wilson: Somehow Carnie Wilson

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:05 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I'm surprised such level-headed people have put so much stock in such a small sample.

I know I've said it before, even to you. His stuff just looks so pedestrian outside of a fast, fastball. He can't control the FB or control or command anything off-spead or with movement. I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for him being more than a slightly above replacement level relief pitcher, which fine we have like 3-4 guys who are really good. Like when Carl and Strop have gone bad before the nastiness of their stuff you can still see is there it's jus they get wild from time to time but the stuff still looks good. Wilson's stuff just isn't very good.

I mean if anybody but Wilson gave up that fluky-ass double they'd probably get the benefit of the doubt but unfortunately Wilson hasn't earned that. But that was some horsefeathers. In on his hands - not many hitters are able to slice that pitch oppo down the line.

The walk was bad but the rest of the inning was just about the worst possible outcomes for the contact that was made.

It sucks.

Duke laid out that the beauty in his fastball probably won't be detectable by the naked eye - being a rising fastball. But the whiff rate it induced surely means he has good stuff. He just hasn't worked out yet
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: RE: Re: Justin Wilson: Somehow Carnie Wilson

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:13 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

I know I've said it before, even to you. His stuff just looks so pedestrian outside of a fast, fastball. He can't control the FB or control or command anything off-spead or with movement. I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for him being more than a slightly above replacement level relief pitcher, which fine we have like 3-4 guys who are really good. Like when Carl and Strop have gone bad before the nastiness of their stuff you can still see is there it's jus they get wild from time to time but the stuff still looks good. Wilson's stuff just isn't very good.

I mean if anybody but Wilson gave up that fluky-ass double they'd probably get the benefit of the doubt but unfortunately Wilson hasn't earned that. But that was some horsefeathers. In on his hands - not many hitters are able to slice that pitch oppo down the line.

The walk was bad but the rest of the inning was just about the worst possible outcomes for the contact that was made.

It sucks.

Duke laid out that the beauty in his fastball probably won't be detectable by the naked eye - being a rising fastball. But the whiff rate it induced surely means he has good stuff. He just hasn't worked out yet

I obviously hope you're right, I want him to do well, and hopefully some of the numbers he's put up with Detroit start showing up with some positive regression here. Just don't like what my stupid, untrained, eyes have seen so far. Hopefully he gets some lower leverage opportunities soon to work things out. He hasn't exactly come in, in spots so far with margin for error. I thought last night would've been a good time to get him in to figure his horsefeathers out.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Justin Wilson: Somehow Carnie Wilson

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I know I've said it before, even to you. His stuff just looks so pedestrian outside of a fast, fastball. He can't control the FB or control or command anything off-spead or with movement. I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for him being more than a slightly above replacement level relief pitcher, which fine we have like 3-4 guys who are really good. Like when Carl and Strop have gone bad before the nastiness of their stuff you can still see is there it's jus they get wild from time to time but the stuff still looks good. Wilson's stuff just isn't very good.

It sucks.

I obviously hope you're right, I want him to do well, and hopefully some of the numbers he's put up with Detroit start showing up with some positive regression here. Just don't like what my stupid, untrained, eyes have seen so far. Hopefully he gets some lower leverage opportunities soon to work things out. He hasn't exactly come in, in spots so far with margin for error. I thought last night would've been a good time to get him in to figure his horsefeathers out.

Thought the same. I don't know that it would've made a difference but it felt like a good time to use him.

I totally share the frustration. He has not been good at all.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:13 pm

He has allowed a baserunner in every cub appearance, at least 2 baserunners in 6 of 7 appearances and allowed a run in 4 of 7 appearances.

Yes it's a small sample and he turns it around but until further notice he is bad
0 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Say it with me, my dudes: HE'S A BUM UNTIL HE'S NOT.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Good thing Avila came with him.
2 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:37 pm

That thread title :clapping:
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:07 am

Man, I can't remember a trade for what I thought at the time was a good reliever that has disappointed me this much this quickly. I mean I hated A. Alfonseca and he was terrible, but at least we got M. Clement in that trade as well.

Is A. Avila the "M. Clement" in this trade?
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:35 am

i thought wilson did a nice job friday afternoon at least
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:46 pm

He's basically the Heyward of our trades

It looks like some weak mentality horsefeathers
0 x

trushar
Role Player

Postby trushar » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:52 pm

Hard earned W today! woot!
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 am

0 x
► Show Spoiler

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Justin Wilson is laughably bad, and I'm almost positive he is incapable of throwing a clean inning
0 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:30 pm

We got the right Justin Wilson from the Tigers, right? They didn't have two guys with the same name and send us the wrong one, did they?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:43 am

this thread did not fix him so I’m not sure anything will ever work
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:44 am

Not in the habit of quoting Schwarberfan, but I think Wilson gets left off any playoff roster the way things stand right now.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Schwarber Fan
Hall of Fame

Postby Schwarber Fan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:48 am

PackLandVA wrote:Not in the habit of quoting Schwarberfan, but I think Wilson gets left off any playoff roster the way things stand right now.

I mean, with Montgomery likely back to the pen and Duensing having a solid year, I think it just has to happen.
0 x
The original Aramis Fan. Responsible for the revelation of Hector Rondon.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”