Discuss NLDS vs. Dusty Baker's Nationals

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: Discuss NLDS vs. Dusty Baker's Nationals

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm absolutely not buying Werth losing that ball in the lights. the replay showed him tracking the ball remarkably well the whole way. he just whiffed
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 pm

LeonDurham wrote:But Werth did go 2/4 with 2 walks last night. He wasn't the reason they lost. And he may not be a good defender, but that was a freak play. He lost it in the lights, which could've happened to a gold glover. It wasn't like Schwarbs butchering a ball.

He also got a final PA (a K) in the 9th that Zimmerman, Murphy, and Rendon(combined: 3 for 10, 2B, HR, 5 BB) did not. There are two mistakes here. One is playing Werth, which is at least arguable(after his big night he finished the series with a .540 OPS). The other is hitting him 2nd, which is unequivocally bad.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 pm

LeonDurham wrote:He wasn't the reason they lost. And he may not be a good defender, but that was a freak play. He lost it in the lights, which could've happened to a gold glover. It wasn't like Schwarbs butchering a ball.

Man, you're splitting an awfully fine hair here. That play was a big part of the reason they lost that game. Sure, it was one of about 5 different big, awful moments for the Nats last night, but freak play or not, it can't be dismissed.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:51 pm

LeonDurham wrote:But Werth did go 2/4 with 2 walks last night. He wasn't the reason they lost. And he may not be a good defender, but that was a freak play. He lost it in the lights, which could've happened to a gold glover. It wasn't like Schwarbs butchering a ball.

If Schwarber did the same thing you would have butchered him.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:24 pm

If that game had happened prior to last year and we were on the losing end of it, how does it compare to 2003?
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

KrisBryantisaBeast
All-Star

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 pm

I spent a couple hours at the Nationals fan board reading through their game thread it was glorious. Well Werth the time it took to read it all.
Last edited by KrisBryantisaBeast on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:36 pm

davell wrote:If that game had happened prior to last year and we were on the losing end of it, how does it compare to 2003?

For even conceiving of such a thing...

2 x
► Show Spoiler

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:46 pm

davell wrote:If that game had happened prior to last year and we were on the losing end of it, how does it compare to 2003?

2 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I'm absolutely not buying Werth losing that ball in the lights. the replay showed him tracking the ball remarkably well the whole way. he just whiffed

Yep, that was a miss.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 pm

if my aunt cut off my uncle's balls she'd be in prison, or something like that
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 pm

I deserve that. But, I'm asking it, kind of wondering if Nat fans will view this the same as we did 2003? Just should have asked it that way, I guess lol.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 pm

davell wrote:I deserve that. But, I'm asking it, kind of wondering if Nat fans will view this the same as we did 2003? Just should have asked it that way, I guess lol.

The Nats never had a series lead.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:27 pm

bukie wrote:
davell wrote:I deserve that. But, I'm asking it, kind of wondering if Nat fans will view this the same as we did 2003? Just should have asked it that way, I guess lol.

The Nats never had a series lead.

This also isn't a unique pain for the Nats. They've lost in the NLDS in 3 of the last 4 years, and are 0-8 in 1 run games in those series. 8 of 9 losses by 1 run is a lot of room for variety in heartbreak.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 pm

It's would be bad, really bad, but different.

I was at the Bartman game and at the Cubby Bear for game 7 in 2003 (I couldn't bring myself to plunk down another $500 after the gut punch the night before,) Being up 3-1 in the series with Prior and Wood going in games 6 and 7, it was basically a foregone conclusion which is saying A LOT for a Cubs fan. And then being 5 outs away with a 3 run lead, it was even more so.

Last night, if it were the Cubs (and last year hadn't happened) it would've been like they blew it. They deserved to lose. They gave the game away. So many bad performances, errors, decisions, etc. A big disappointment for sure, but not a gut punch.

One of the postgame anchors compared the Nats fans experience to Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown...again. I disagree. Last night, Lucy kept the ball there and Charlie Brown just whiffed.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 pm

I propose a new W flag just for today to honor the Cubs beating the Nationals...

#FlyTheCurlyW
4 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:12 am

their bitches
0 x

Geech
All-Star

Postby Geech » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:55 pm

David wrote:
David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Banned for loving Dusty?

Harsh....but fair.

It must really rankle you Dusty Busters that Dusty Baker is more successful than you'll ever be. He's better paid, more well-liked, probably had more and better gals then you, and when it's all said and done and it's in the history books he will be remembered as a good manager. And no one will remember you.

And on top of this, he's ruining your Cubs. And he'll probably finish out his contract - your protests are going to go totally unheeded. la (laugh aloud), it's such a waste of energy!

It's kinda sad, when I put it in these real life terms, isn't it? I feel for you.

Me, I give Dusty credit when it's due, like with Neifi today, and I'd rather elevate than denigrate anyway, makes me happier. To point out every little flaw doesn't do it for me either.

What it comes down to for me, is that when y'all can't even give credit to the guy when a move he makes turns out well, that's just sad.

Oh, also, this is great

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/archiv ... 59#p848659

I wonder what a guy like ZZ Thorn would think about the current state of the team. I feel like the Ricketts and this front office have given us everything we wanted for the Cubs. We've got a smart, analytical front office who tend to value the sorts of traits in players that we also value. They put together the best run in our lifetimes, and finally won the World Series. Does ZZ Thorn just accept these changes and enjoy them now that they've actually been made, or does he still favor the Dusty and Hendry approach?
0 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm

KrisBryantisaBeast wrote:I spent a couple hours at the Nationals fan board reading through their game thread it was glorious. Well Werth the time it took to read it all.

Link?
0 x

KrisBryantisaBeast
All-Star

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
KrisBryantisaBeast wrote:I spent a couple hours at the Nationals fan board reading through their game thread it was glorious. Well Werth the time it took to read it all.

Link?

http://www.wnff.net
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Geech wrote:
David wrote:
David wrote:It must really rankle you Dusty Busters that Dusty Baker is more successful than you'll ever be. He's better paid, more well-liked, probably had more and better gals then you, and when it's all said and done and it's in the history books he will be remembered as a good manager. And no one will remember you.

And on top of this, he's ruining your Cubs. And he'll probably finish out his contract - your protests are going to go totally unheeded. la (laugh aloud), it's such a waste of energy!

It's kinda sad, when I put it in these real life terms, isn't it? I feel for you.

Me, I give Dusty credit when it's due, like with Neifi today, and I'd rather elevate than denigrate anyway, makes me happier. To point out every little flaw doesn't do it for me either.

What it comes down to for me, is that when y'all can't even give credit to the guy when a move he makes turns out well, that's just sad.

Oh, also, this is great

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/archiv ... 59#p848659

I wonder what a guy like ZZ Thorn would think about the current state of the team. I feel like the Ricketts and this front office have given us everything we wanted for the Cubs. We've got a smart, analytical front office who tend to value the sorts of traits in players that we also value. They put together the best run in our lifetimes, and finally won the World Series. Does ZZ Thorn just accept these changes and enjoy them now that they've actually been made, or does he still favor the Dusty and Hendry approach?

We've seen those types grouse and gripe a little louder from time to time if the team really struggles for a stretch, but I can't imagine that even the biggest pro-Dusty or Hendry weirdo isn't happy with the end results of the current regime. I mean, they're ultimately Cubs fans.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Geech wrote:

We've seen those types grouse and gripe a little louder from time to time if the team really struggles for a stretch, but I can't imagine that even the biggest pro-Dusty or Hendry weirdo isn't happy with the end results of the current regime. I mean, they're ultimately Cubs fans.

There was a bizarre subset of Illinois fans that became Kansas State fans after Weber was fired, but it's not quite the same since Illinois has been terrible since then
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:07 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I'm absolutely not buying Werth losing that ball in the lights. the replay showed him tracking the ball remarkably well the whole way. he just whiffed

Yeah, Darling said right away that Werth lost it in the lights and just stuck with that excuse but there was nothing when they showed the replays that made me think that happened. Not to mention the fact that since Darling thought he lost it in the lights and Darling is an idiot, then the opposite happened.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”