Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Re: Discuss NLDS vs. Dusty Baker's Nationals

Postby Old Style » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Teddy17 wrote:NLDS. All times Eastern

Game 3 Oct 9 4:00 pm
Game 4* Oct 10 5:30 pm
Game 5* Oct 12 5:30 pm

I'm actually glad with Monday's game time. I will have to cut out of work a few hours early but that way I can watch the Cubs clinch and then Trubinsky start his HOF career.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Hell, if the Cubs sweep, I'll even sit down and watch SpudMcKenziebisky's debut.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Won't complain about start times...the Cubs have certainly benefited in the past. The only thing thats difficult is that the games will be going on during my commute home. Luckily my company has Monday as a holiday, so no issues there. Lets sweep and not worry about Games 4 and 5.
1 x
Win it for Fred

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Teddy17 wrote:I am very excited about this game. It’s only about two hours until I head to the park. But I am also super nervous. This is going to be a good series.

My thoughts: It comes down to Strasburg being the Strasburg he’s been for the past two months. If he is, it becomes very difficult for you guys to win. If we can get a moderately healthy Max for game 3 or 4,that’s all the better. But I’m not counting on him at this point.
The other key is Ryan Zimmerman. It is clear that Maddon/Cubs pitching do not respect him, because he hasn’t perfomed in the past couple of years. But he is a different player this year. I imagine he will get pitches to hit. If he hits them, the Nats win, if not, they likely won’t, or it will be harder. If he hits, Maddon will have to pitch to Murphy, Harper, and Rendon, which isn’t ideal.

So those are the two most important players in this series. Strasburg and Zimmerman. But That’s from a Nats fan’s perspective. I’d be interested in hearing what Cubs fans think.

Your most important person isn’t a player, it’s Dusty Baker.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Teddy17 wrote:I am very excited about this game. It’s only about two hours until I head to the park. But I am also super nervous. This is going to be a good series.

My thoughts: It comes down to Strasburg being the Strasburg he’s been for the past two months. If he is, it becomes very difficult for you guys to win. If we can get a moderately healthy Max for game 3 or 4,that’s all the better. But I’m not counting on him at this point.
The other key is Ryan Zimmerman. It is clear that Maddon/Cubs pitching do not respect him, because he hasn’t perfomed in the past couple of years. But he is a different player this year. I imagine he will get pitches to hit. If he hits them, the Nats win, if not, they likely won’t, or it will be harder. If he hits, Maddon will have to pitch to Murphy, Harper, and Rendon, which isn’t ideal.

So those are the two most important players in this series. Strasburg and Zimmerman. But That’s from a Nats fan’s perspective. I’d be interested in hearing what Cubs fans think.

I read this as "Basically the only way the Cubs can win this is if the Nats screw up. The Cubs players have little to do with the outcome"
0 x
Win it for Fred

Teddy17
bench player

Postby Teddy17 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:05 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

I read this as "Basically the only way the Cubs can win this is if the Nats screw up. The Cubs players have little to do with the outcome"

You can read it like that if you want. But I haven’t followed the cubs all year, so it’s hard to come at it from your perspective, which is why I said that and asked for others’ opinions. I came to learn and discuss. The Cubs are the Champs if I need to praise them to be here.
But I hardly think it’s contorversial to say “if the Nats ace and Cleanup hitter perform well, then they will win”
0 x

LeonDurham
Starter

Postby LeonDurham » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:

Here's my take. Its way simpler than yours. Team that plays better will win.

On paper, Nats had a better year. Most experts picking them. But pressure is completely on them. Team keeps getting bounced early. Cubs have playoff experience. Sure Strasburg and Scherzer are scary, but the Cubs beat Bumgarner, Kershaw and Kluber last year.

I don't believe in "most important players" or "keys to the series". This is media bunk. The most important players are obviously the best players. Strasburg, Harper, Murphy, Bryant, Rizzo, Hendricks, etc because you expect these guys to perform. But the series can easily be decided by Jon Jay or Ben Zobrist. I think this is where my homerness will give the Cubs the advantage. Most guys on the roster have had big ABs in big playoff series.
0 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Won't complain about start times...the Cubs have certainly benefited in the past. The only thing thats difficult is that the games will be going on during my commute home. Luckily my company has Monday as a holiday, so no issues there. Lets sweep and not worry about Games 4 and 5.

Yeah, I'm going to miss the game tonight and most of Game 3 and will have to listen to the starts of possible Games 4 and 5 on my commute home. I'm not very happy right now. But I'm not going to freak out too much considering I saw the Cubs win the World Series last year.

I usually never miss Cubs games because I work from home most of the time. But this project I'm working on right now is killing everything I know and love -- which is being lazy and not actually doing work.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 pm

One thing i don't like is the take that the Cubs "have experience" and that's an advantage. Did the Cubs have experience edge when they donged the Cardinals to death in 2015? Did the Mets have the advantage of experience when they turned around and swept the Cubs in the last round? Or the Indians last year, or the Royals in 2014, etc.

I can understand the "been through battles and know what to expect" but there's also a "too young and too stupid to feel pressure" aspect. Either way, a good manager will keep the team focused, distractions minimal, and have his players ready for any situation they might encounter. I don't know how much of an effect it actually has but I will say Joe's teams always seem to do well in the postseason while Dusty has presided over some of the bigger collapses in both the playoffs and regular season this millennium.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 pm

I have a feeling we won't be seeing Teddy again after tonight.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 pm

UMFan83 wrote:One thing i don't like is the take that the Cubs "have experience" and that's an advantage. Did the Cubs have experience edge when they donged the Cardinals to death in 2015? Did the Mets have the advantage of experience when they turned around and swept the Cubs in the last round? Or the Indians last year, or the Royals in 2014, etc.

I can understand the "been through battles and know what to expect" but there's also a "too young and too stupid to feel pressure" aspect. Either way, a good manager will keep the team focused, distractions minimal, and have his players ready for any situation they might encounter. I don't know how much of an effect it actually has but I will say Joe's teams always seem to do well in the postseason while Dusty has presided over some of the bigger collapses in both the playoffs and regular season this millennium.

just because you have an advantage at something doesn't mean you automatically win

and to counter the "too young and stupid to feel pressure thing," the veteran teams that would choke under pressure in the playoffs would be the ones who have been there but haven't really had success (or ones with vets who don't have playoff experience), if that's a thing.

i don't think you'll ever be accusing a team of 25 year olds with a lilke 30 games worth of an NLCS run and a world series win under their belts of crumbling under playoff pressure. that's never going to be a thing.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure if or how much experience matters. I bet it does a little. There's a lot of pressure in the playoffs and people fail under pressure all the time at a variety of things. So it probably matters some.

But one of the reasons we have so much experience is because we are freaking good. And we are still good. So we're most likely to not crumble because we are too good to crumble.
0 x

LeonDurham
Starter

Postby LeonDurham » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 pm

UMFan83 wrote:One thing i don't like is the take that the Cubs "have experience" and that's an advantage. Did the Cubs have experience edge when they donged the Cardinals to death in 2015? Did the Mets have the advantage of experience when they turned around and swept the Cubs in the last round? Or the Indians last year, or the Royals in 2014, etc.

I think experience is a big factor. But here's my reasoning. Not necessary because experience makes you better. Playoff baseball is a completely different animal from regular season baseball. I think pressure is very real, and some players play better and some play worse. The fact that the Cubs won last year at least proves that they can excel at playoff baseball, even granting that luck contributes to a large degree in series that are 5 or 7 games. You have no idea if the Nats are full of a bunch of Clayton Kershaws who underachieve in the playoffs (although I do know that Murphy scares the horsefeathers out of me). You at least know the Cubs aren't.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:15 pm

LeonDurham wrote:

I think experience is a big factor. But here's my reasoning. Not necessary because experience makes you better. Playoff baseball is a completely different animal from regular season baseball. I think pressure is very real, and some players play better and some play worse. The fact that the Cubs won last year at least proves that they can excel at playoff baseball, even granting that luck contributes to a large degree in series that are 5 or 7 games. You have no idea if the Nats are full of a bunch of Clayton Kershaws who underachieve in the playoffs (although I do know that Murphy scares the horsefeathers out of me). You at least know the Cubs aren't.

Yeah...I do believe playoff pressure is an actual factor. It's just almost always impossible to tell when it is. There's a few examples that are so glaring that it seems unlikely that it isn't in play...David Price, what happened with the starters in the one game playoffs throwing pure meatballs...Hell, DeRosa admitted the other day that in 08 he felt himself trying too hard and trying to be a hero.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

LeonDurham
Starter

Postby LeonDurham » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 pm

David wrote:
LeonDurham wrote:

Yeah...I do believe playoff pressure is an actual factor. It's just almost always impossible to tell when it is. There's a few examples that are so glaring that it seems unlikely that it isn't in play...David Price, what happened with the starters in the one game playoffs throwing pure meatballs...Hell, DeRosa admitted the other day that in 08 he felt himself trying too hard and trying to be a hero.

2007 and 2008 Cubs. Sure, its a 6 game sample. But there's a reason for that. They sucked ass for those 6 games.
0 x

badger
5-Time All-Star

Postby badger » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Those start times for 3 and 4 are horsefeathering horsefeathers.
0 x

Teddy17
bench player

Postby Teddy17 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Duke Silver wrote:I have a feeling we won't be seeing Teddy again after tonight.

Meh. Takes more to scare me off. I’m planning on the Nats losing.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:57 am

Teddy17 wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:I have a feeling we won't be seeing Teddy again after tonight.

Well you’re one step closer to your dream coming true.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Hunter
Starter

Postby Hunter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:05 am

Teddy17 wrote:

Realization is the first step towards recovery.
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:21 am

Posit Kyle Hendricks is the most dominant postseason starting pitcher of this era.
1 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Teddy17
bench player

Postby Teddy17 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:20 am

Good win by Hendricks. Nats wasted a good start by Strasburg. If Lester shuts us down then I’ll be worried. See you guys tomorrow.
0 x

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:01 am

Our best players were great and won the game for us tonight. TBS sucks gigantic donkey dick, I had to restart my stream every half inning because it spazzed out every commercial break.

I think Lester is gonna show up and be lights out tomorrow. Let's hope! Go cubs go.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:26 pm

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35786.0

get a load of the hot takes by this slate guy

also half their board still doesn't know kyle's name
0 x

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:36 pm

David wrote:http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35786.0

get a load of the hot takes by this slate guy

also half their board still doesn't know kyle's name

kyle is the reverse javy baez
1 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”