Addison Russell

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45430
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 80
x 2601
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:17 pm

I want him off the team, but I'd be okay with suspending him for now and trading him in the offseason.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61082
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3048
x 10685

Re: Addison Russell

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers, I don't even want him traded; I want him out of baseball.


Nothing short of a Ray Rice video coming out will come close to driving him out of the league. Unless he keeps sucking at baseball.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

r_mack
Starter
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am
x 43
x 42

Re: Addison Russell

Postby r_mack » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
r_mack wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Still having him, having traded for Chapman knowing who he is, AND then going out and trading for Murphy knowing who he is are bad, bad, bad looks for the Cubs. They need to be a LOT better. Russell needs to be gone ASAP.

Murphy doesn’t belong in the same universe as the other two.


It's not a competition. He's a garbage person, and the Cubs knew it.

So because a guy has different opinions than you, that makes him a horsefeathers person? I 100% disagree with Murphy but it’s his opinion. And my guess is, he’s far from the only one on the Cubs that disagrees with the gay lifestyle.
0 x

User avatar
Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22352
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:37 pm
Location: Rockford, IL
x 282
x 57
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Flames24Rulz » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Tim wrote:I want him off the team, but I'd be okay with suspending him for now and trading him in the offseason.


What would you actually get in return, though? His value was totally shot, even before this. I'd just cut his ass right now and not think twice about it.
1 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61082
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3048
x 10685

Re: Addison Russell

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:25 pm

r_mack wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
r_mack wrote:Murphy doesn’t belong in the same universe as the other two.


It's not a competition. He's a garbage person, and the Cubs knew it.

So because a guy has different opinions than you, that makes him a horsefeathers person? I 100% disagree with Murphy but it’s his opinion. And my guess is, he’s far from the only one on the Cubs that disagrees with the gay lifestyle.

It's not an opinion and it's not a lifestyle.
7 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33039
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2706
x 6718
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:27 pm

the cubs cannot let this slide
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Bearded_Beef
bench player
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm
x 5
x 7

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Bearded_Beef » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Banedon wrote:
r_mack wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Still having him, having traded for Chapman knowing who he is, AND then going out and trading for Murphy knowing who he is are bad, bad, bad looks for the Cubs. They need to be a LOT better. Russell needs to be gone ASAP.

Murphy doesn’t belong in the same universe as the other two.


It doesn't matter that Murphy isn't leading the "horsefeathers" competition. He's still competing in it.


I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6176
x 6053

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:31 pm

r_mack wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
r_mack wrote:Murphy doesn’t belong in the same universe as the other two.


It's not a competition. He's a garbage person, and the Cubs knew it.

So because a guy has different opinions than you, that makes him a horsefeathers person? I 100% disagree with Murphy but it’s his opinion. And my guess is, he’s far from the only one on the Cubs that disagrees with the gay lifestyle.


Opinions deserve scorn if they're [expletive] opinions. A white supremacist holds the opinion of racial superiority, and he should absolutely be vilified for such a thing. Holding horsefeathers opinions absolutely makes someone a horsefeathers person.
1 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49866
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 675
x 1771

Re: Addison Russell

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:He’s definitely done for this season given the timing, I can’t quite picture what would be needed from Russel’s Side to have him in a Cub uniform next year. Different scenario, but that big time prospect with the pedohilia charge just went undrafted and unsigned, this horsefeathers isn’t being tolerated anymore


The counterpoint is that Hader saw zero consequences for his past actions coming to light, and Russell’s behavior has more in common with that in terms of deniability than Heimlich legally admitting to committing his crime.


The counterpoint is that Russell has been terrible and Hader was an all-star.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61082
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3048
x 10685

Re: Addison Russell

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Bearded_Beef wrote:I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?


I may have shared your opinion when I was young and dumb. But we live in a time when very terrible people are running the country and outright promoting sexual assault, bigotry and ignorance. I cannot simply pretend what these guys do outside the white lines doesn't matter. What Daniel Murphy said actually has negative ramifications for other people. It's bad.

Domestic abuse, homophobia, bigotry in general. These are all terrible things that can and should be scorned. There is no reason to pretend this stuff is off limits.
13 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

r_mack
Starter
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am
x 43
x 42

Re: Addison Russell

Postby r_mack » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Bearded_Beef wrote:
Banedon wrote:
r_mack wrote:Murphy doesn’t belong in the same universe as the other two.


It doesn't matter that Murphy isn't leading the "horsefeathers" competition. He's still competing in it.


I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?

Agree 100%. I watch sports for entertainment, not to be friends with these players. Baseball is full of straight, white, Christian men from the South, you’re completely ignorant if you think Daniel Murphy is the only dude in baseball that disagrees with the gay lifestyle. My guess is there’s more than just him on the Cubs.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6176
x 6053

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Bearded_Beef wrote:
Banedon wrote:
r_mack wrote:Murphy doesn’t belong in the same universe as the other two.


It doesn't matter that Murphy isn't leading the "horsefeathers" competition. He's still competing in it.


I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?


I don't know that it makes you a scumbag...I don't know you or your beliefs, but I'd question why you care about sports more than the lives of those that are affected by the "opinions" of others.

This is an Athletic article, so you may not be able to read it if you're not a subscriber, but Daniel Murphy's horsefeathers opinions have an affect on people...maybe not you, but others.

https://theathletic.com/494008/2018/08/ ... el-murphy/

So people with the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others recognize that these issues are far more important than baseball.
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34795
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 949
x 6379

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:39 pm

r_mack wrote:gay lifestyle

just stop it now. it’s not a horsefeathering lifestyle. go horsefeathers yourself.
12 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61082
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3048
x 10685

Re: Addison Russell

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:40 pm

r_mack wrote:
Bearded_Beef wrote:
Banedon wrote:
It doesn't matter that Murphy isn't leading the "horsefeathers" competition. He's still competing in it.


I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?

Agree 100%. I watch sports for entertainment, not to be friends with these players. Baseball is full of straight, white, Christian men from the South, you’re completely ignorant if you think Daniel Murphy is the only dude in baseball that disagrees with the gay lifestyle. My guess is there’s more than just him on the Cubs.

stop calling it a lifestyle you homophobe
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56424
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6887

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Bearded_Beef wrote:
Banedon wrote:
r_mack wrote:Murphy doesn’t belong in the same universe as the other two.


It doesn't matter that Murphy isn't leading the "horsefeathers" competition. He's still competing in it.


I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?



Even if we set aside the morality of that mindset, this is a luxury afforded to people who haven’t faced the discrimination that some groups of people have faced. It matters that Murphy has said insensitive things about the gay community and been less than apologetic about them, because there are gay Cubs fans who have faced far worse and now have that crappy experience personified on their favorite baseball team. It matters that Chapman and Russell have hurt women because many women have faced that experience and many people know women who have faced that, and now there’s an avatar of that pain that their fellow cubs fans are cheering on.
17 x

r_mack
Starter
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am
x 43
x 42

Re: Addison Russell

Postby r_mack » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Banedon wrote:
Bearded_Beef wrote:
Banedon wrote:
It doesn't matter that Murphy isn't leading the "horsefeathers" competition. He's still competing in it.


I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?


I don't know that it makes you a scumbag...I don't know you or your beliefs, but I'd question why you care about sports more than the lives of those that are affected by the "opinions" of others.

This is an Athletic article, so you may not be able to read it if you're not a subscriber, but Daniel Murphy's horsefeathers opinions have an affect on people...maybe not you, but others.

https://theathletic.com/494008/2018/08/ ... el-murphy/

So people with the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others recognize that these issues are far more important than baseball.

If you’re bothered by Murphy, just don’t root for him. It would have been a great disservice if the Cubs decided not to improve their team and give them a better shot at winning a World Series because of a guy’s opinion.
Last edited by r_mack on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61082
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3048
x 10685

Re: Addison Russell

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:43 pm

being a domestic abuser is a lifestyle choice
being a privileged white dude that sexually assaults women and uses their privilege to shut down investigations into their behavior is a lifestyle
being a bigoted christian that judges other people is a lifestyle

being gay is not a lifestyle
12 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56424
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6887

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:46 pm

r_mack wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Bearded_Beef wrote:
I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?


I don't know that it makes you a scumbag...I don't know you or your beliefs, but I'd question why you care about sports more than the lives of those that are affected by the "opinions" of others.

This is an Athletic article, so you may not be able to read it if you're not a subscriber, but Daniel Murphy's horsefeathers opinions have an affect on people...maybe not you, but others.

https://theathletic.com/494008/2018/08/ ... el-murphy/

So people with the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others recognize that these issues are far more important than baseball.

If you’re bothered by Murphy, just don’t root for him. It would have been a great disservice if the Cubs decided not to improve their team and give them a better shot at winning a World Series because of a guy’s opinion.


Some people think it’s more important that all fans are able to enjoy the sport without tremendous internal conflict than their favorite team making some marginal improvement to the playoff roster.
1 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6176
x 6053

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm

r_mack wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Bearded_Beef wrote:
I am going to go ahead and commit NSBB suicide with my first post and ask why everyone cares so much about what athletes do? I mean we all watch these guys because they are really really good at baseball, not because they are heros or better people, right? Specifically with Murphy, I don't like him or anything he's said regarding homosexuality, but I'd rather he's hitting for us in the playoffs than the opposing team. Does that somehow make me a scumbag too?


I don't know that it makes you a scumbag...I don't know you or your beliefs, but I'd question why you care about sports more than the lives of those that are affected by the "opinions" of others.

This is an Athletic article, so you may not be able to read it if you're not a subscriber, but Daniel Murphy's horsefeathers opinions have an affect on people...maybe not you, but others.

https://theathletic.com/494008/2018/08/ ... el-murphy/

So people with the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others recognize that these issues are far more important than baseball.

If you’re bothered by Murphy, just don’t root for him. It would have been a great disservice if the Cubs decided not to improve their team and give them a better shot at winning a World Series because of a guy’s opinion.


Sports aren't that important, guy. The Cubs can simultaneously care about character and ability at the same time. It's really not that difficult.
4 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 82525
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 13353
x 15801

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm

r_mack wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
r_mack wrote:Murphy doesn’t belong in the same universe as the other two.


It's not a competition. He's a garbage person, and the Cubs knew it.

So because a guy has different opinions than you, that makes him a horsefeathers person?


No, it's because he has terrible horsefeathering opinions about other people. Stop with the disengenuous, "the intolerance of intolerance is the REAL intolrance" false equivalency.

I 100% disagree with Murphy but it’s his opinion. And my guess is, he’s far from the only one on the Cubs that disagrees with the gay lifestyle.


So just other people almost certainly share his terrible thoughts on gay people (or worse), but we don't know about it, we shouldn't concern ourselves with his awful thoughts on homosexuality that HE CHOSE TO horsefeathers OUT INTO THE WORLD?

The nonsense idea that sports are this "politically exempt" thing where this kind of thing should just be shrugged off because, hey, it's sports! is such a dorky, privileged take on things. I mean, this is horsefeathering baseball; Jackie Robinson's number is retired by everyone because SPORTS ARE POLITICAL.
2 x
► Show Spoiler

r_mack
Starter
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am
x 43
x 42

Re: Addison Russell

Postby r_mack » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
r_mack wrote:
Banedon wrote:
I don't know that it makes you a scumbag...I don't know you or your beliefs, but I'd question why you care about sports more than the lives of those that are affected by the "opinions" of others.

This is an Athletic article, so you may not be able to read it if you're not a subscriber, but Daniel Murphy's horsefeathers opinions have an affect on people...maybe not you, but others.

https://theathletic.com/494008/2018/08/ ... el-murphy/

So people with the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others recognize that these issues are far more important than baseball.

If you’re bothered by Murphy, just don’t root for him. It would have been a great disservice if the Cubs decided not to improve their team and give them a better shot at winning a World Series because of a guy’s opinion.


Some people think it’s more important that all fans are able to enjoy the sport without tremendous internal conflict than their favorite team making some marginal improvement to the playoff roster.

Maybe. Those people also still celebrate the 2016 World Series which they don’t win without Aroldis Chapman. So in the end, winning is going to cure all even though it might feel gross to some.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49866
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 675
x 1771

Re: Addison Russell

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:50 pm

I mean I can squint my way thru those posts and agree that yes, most MLB players and professional athletes are probably bad people. It doesn't mean you need to support those for which their badness is on full display.
6 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 82525
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 13353
x 15801

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 pm

r_mack wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
r_mack wrote:If you’re bothered by Murphy, just don’t root for him. It would have been a great disservice if the Cubs decided not to improve their team and give them a better shot at winning a World Series because of a guy’s opinion.


Some people think it’s more important that all fans are able to enjoy the sport without tremendous internal conflict than their favorite team making some marginal improvement to the playoff roster.

Maybe. Those people also still celebrate the 2016 World Series which they don’t win without Aroldis Chapman. So in the end, winning is going to cure all even though it might feel gross to some.


It's not a horsefeathering "cure all," plenty of people are both rightly happy the Cubs won the WS and detest that Chapman played a role in it.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56424
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6887

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 pm

r_mack wrote:Maybe. Those people also still celebrate the 2016 World Series which they don’t win without Aroldis Chapman. So in the end, winning is going to cure all even though it might feel gross to some.


Just because most of us that have no skin in the game are able to rationalize it doesn’t make it any less important to prevent situations that drive other fans away.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6176
x 6053

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
r_mack wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Some people think it’s more important that all fans are able to enjoy the sport without tremendous internal conflict than their favorite team making some marginal improvement to the playoff roster.

Maybe. Those people also still celebrate the 2016 World Series which they don’t win without Aroldis Chapman. So in the end, winning is going to cure all even though it might feel gross to some.


It's not a horsefeathering "cure all," plenty of people are both rightly happy the Cubs won the WS and detest that Chapman played a role in it.


And if you detest Chapman, it's easy to look at game 7 in retrospect and be glad that he personally failed, and the Cubs still won.
5 x


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests