Addison Russell

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Re: Addison Russell

Postby soccer10k » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Why are the Cubs obligated to positively affect his life? I'd rather they positively affect the fanbase watching them by demonstrating that domestic violence has serious consequences.

They aren't obligated. But wouldn't it be great if they used the influence to at least try. Not for Addison Russell but, going forward, if an organization like the Cubs actually held him accountable and other players took notice, maybe this happens less in the future. Make him actually go to counseling. Make him do more than just give lip service to doing the right things. After he's done that, if they're not convinced he's changed for the better than publicly and loudly blast him into a billion pieces.

If the Cubs released him tomorrow and someone else picks him up, he will have learned nothing and will probably do it again. Women seem to like this guy.

Don't you think "oh no I might get released from my extremely high paying job in sports" is much more of a deterrent to bad behavior than "oh no I have to attend a few therapy sessions"?

I’m sure he’s much more worried he’ll get released because he can’t hit than because of bad behavior.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:21 pm

soccer10k wrote:
Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
They aren't obligated. But wouldn't it be great if they used the influence to at least try. Not for Addison Russell but, going forward, if an organization like the Cubs actually held him accountable and other players took notice, maybe this happens less in the future. Make him actually go to counseling. Make him do more than just give lip service to doing the right things. After he's done that, if they're not convinced he's changed for the better than publicly and loudly blast him into a billion pieces.

If the Cubs released him tomorrow and someone else picks him up, he will have learned nothing and will probably do it again. Women seem to like this guy.

Don't you think "oh no I might get released from my extremely high paying job in sports" is much more of a deterrent to bad behavior than "oh no I have to attend a few therapy sessions"?

I’m sure he’s much more worried he’ll get released because he can’t hit than because of bad behavior.

Not worried enough to adjust his lifestyle choices.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 pm

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:43 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:12 am

2 x
► Show Spoiler

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:20 am

What I gather from reading some of the online debate about Russell is that a scary amount of people think playing big league baseball is a some sort of natural right and that guilt beyond all reasonable doubt must be established for him to be deserving of being run out of town on a rail.
3 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:25 am

Please just be posturing for trade value for him

0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Obviously not comparing what they did to get run out of town, but he did the same thing with Zambrano, then he traded him for Chris Volstad a few weeks later.

I highly doubt Russell plays another inning here.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Yeah, Russell is very obviously never playing another inning for the Cubs. There's worthy debate as to whether it's moral to try to maximize his value in the meantime(and whether it's legal to simply release him/non-tender him in the other direction), but he's done in Chicago. This post will self-destruct in 7 days just in case I look very stupid later.
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:37 am

Yeah I'm pretty sure Epstein has to say these sorts of things about Russell if for no other reason than to avoid ugliness with the Player's Union. I'd like for the team to non tender him, but they'll trade him somewhere, probably San Diego.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 am

I don't think Russell plays another inning for the Chicago Cubs, but I do wonder if they could get away with optioning him to Iowa for the start of the season and hoping he plays well enough to build trade value for a desperate contender.

I don't think they will, but I'm just curious about the technical aspects of it. I'm pretty sure he has options left. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have enough service time to negate those options. I'm less certain whether that would be grounds for a grievance with the union.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Rob wrote:I don't think Russell plays another inning for the Chicago Cubs, but I do wonder if they could get away with optioning him to Iowa for the start of the season and hoping he plays well enough to build trade value for a desperate contender.

I don't think they will, but I'm just curious about the technical aspects of it. I'm pretty sure he has options left. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have enough service time to negate those options. I'm less certain whether that would be grounds for a grievance with the union.

couldn't the cubs just say they felt like he needed time outside the spotlight to get back to playing "normal" baseball and stuff? I mean that would fly i would imagine

all that said i really hope he's not a part of the organization next year
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 pm

weis21 wrote:
Rob wrote:I don't think Russell plays another inning for the Chicago Cubs, but I do wonder if they could get away with optioning him to Iowa for the start of the season and hoping he plays well enough to build trade value for a desperate contender.

couldn't the cubs just say they felt like he needed time outside the spotlight to get back to playing "normal" baseball and stuff? I mean that would fly i would imagine

all that said i really hope he's not a part of the organization next year

Either way, I don't think that's really a solution for the Cubs (which I'm fine with-they don't need an easy "out", they can always just cut him). But hypothetically in that scenario Russell is still showing up in ST and the Cubs are still dealing with the PR side of it all.

Either bring him back and deal with the PR disaster, or cut the dead weight (either by actually cutting him or selling him off for anything - could be bonus pool money or cash considerations even) as soon as you can--like while the calendar still reads 2018.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 pm

I can't believe that some team wouldn't take him as a throw-in on a trade.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”