Addison Russell

User avatar
HawkeTrackler
Role Player
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:43 pm
x 294
x 85

Re: Addison Russell

Postby HawkeTrackler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:12 pm

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/07/22/ ... ith-signs/

“Also, not missing signs as well,” Russell said. “Stay on top of those. Remind myself, I need to become more familiar with the signs as well. So there’s no gap there. You know exactly what’s being put on so you can do your job more efficient.”

YIKES
1 x
Friend of Nature and all-around Nice Boy. I know most of the states and all of the meals.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67375
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5960
x 5789

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Banedon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:21 pm

“We just have to keep talking to him,” Maddon said. “We have. We always do…We have to get him to focus consistently. He seems to do it pretty well on defense.”


Image
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 79034
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3042
x 4830
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

What does it take to get booted off the Cubs or at least lose your current role?

-Having a .391 OPS over a 3 month span and overall an OPS+ of 42. So bad that he is getting like 10 PA at month at best? Not good enough
-Starting 80% of the games despite being sub replacement level offensively and only marginally above replacement level defensively? Not good enough
-Abusing his wife repeatedly, showing no remorse, expressing disdain for fans who express their displeasure for his actions, showing an overall decline in his game, frequently making mental errors on simple ass horsefeathers, admitting without prompting that he's missing signs and shrugging it off as just something he has to do better? Not good enough.
-Have a team be 3-15 in the last 18 games you've pitched in, largely because of your uncanny ability to implode whenever you come in the game? Not good enough

I mean one of these guys might have to live stream himself leading a dog fighting ring in order to get kicked off this team.

Never seen a halfway decent team routinely put so many bad ballplayers in important roles repeatedly.
1 x
Win it for Fred

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 3916
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 604

Re: Addison Russell

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:15 pm

- Throw your bat into the dugout/stands 40 times
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8364
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 217
x 2996

Re: Addison Russell

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:44 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Social media fights about Russell will ultimately turn on how good he is w/ the bat once he comes back. Cynical, I know, but I've seen way too many pathetic horsefeathers for whom the results of their fav sportsball team is the top priority.


Well, I was maybe wrong about this as it his horrendous on field decision-making in general wasn't a consideration as it should have been. Cubs sportsball fans seem to have let up their principled enabling of Russell as of late. Weird.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1182
x 1372

Re: Addison Russell

Postby squally1313 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:05 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:Social media fights about Russell will ultimately turn on how good he is w/ the bat once he comes back. Cynical, I know, but I've seen way too many pathetic horsefeathers for whom the results of their fav sportsball team is the top priority.


Well, I was maybe wrong about this as it his horrendous on field decision-making in general wasn't a consideration as it should have been. Cubs sportsball fans seem to have let up their principled enabling of Russell as of late. Weird.


"It's worked out well" definitely isn't the right phrase, but his very obvious mistakes on the field have gone a long way into turning the meatheads' opinion against him, whereas his metrics have been relatively satisfactory so far. Since he came back on 5/8, he's been the 5th most valuable offensive player on the team, over guys like Schwarber and Heyward (in less PAs). 0.8 WAR in 54 games/167 PAs is about a 2.5 pace. Rather it be this way than him going on some fan-endearing Almora type run.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 81827
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 12796
x 15364

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Regardless of intentions, that is an all time terrible "WELL, ACKSHUALLY..."
0 x
► Show Spoiler

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1182
x 1372

Re: Addison Russell

Postby squally1313 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Regardless of intentions, that is an all time terrible "WELL, ACKSHUALLY..."


He's clearly going to continue playing baseball for the Cubs. I know you've gotten to the point of just hating the team and hoping they are bad, but if he's going to play, I'd rather him play well and still have the fans dislike him, than play poorly but pull an Almora and inexplicably become some gritty fan favorite.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8364
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 217
x 2996

Re: Addison Russell

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Regardless of intentions, that is an all time terrible "WELL, ACKSHUALLY..."

I was anticipating some sort of "rational fan take" in response. I just wish it was one of the [expletive] Russell defenders doing it instead of squally; that would've been more fun for me.
1 x

GaryWoods
All-Star
Posts: 1539
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:32 pm
Location: Mt. Sterling, Iowa
x 10
x 20

Re: Addison Russell

Postby GaryWoods » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:46 pm

HawkeTrackler wrote:https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/07/22/addison-russell-admits-mental-errors-not-being-familiar-with-signs/

“Also, not missing signs as well,” Russell said. “Stay on top of those. Remind myself, I need to become more familiar with the signs as well. So there’s no gap there. You know exactly what’s being put on so you can do your job more efficient.”

YIKES


Well, you can't really expect a guy to learn all those pesky signs in just five years, after all.
0 x
"Well, I'm American, so he'll always be Ivuhn Duh-JEE-zuhs to me" - Uncle Bobby Collins on Ivan DeJesus, WGN radio, 1983

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 79034
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3042
x 4830
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:59 pm

GaryWoods wrote:
HawkeTrackler wrote:https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/07/22/addison-russell-admits-mental-errors-not-being-familiar-with-signs/

“Also, not missing signs as well,” Russell said. “Stay on top of those. Remind myself, I need to become more familiar with the signs as well. So there’s no gap there. You know exactly what’s being put on so you can do your job more efficient.”

YIKES


Well, you can't really expect a guy to learn all those pesky signs in just five years, after all.


To be honest, I never got the impression that Addison Russell was smart. Even before the abuse allegations came out, something just seemed off about his interviews. He used a lot of cliches (some of used incorrectly like the bartender in Boondock Saints), often times if a question involved any sort of critical thinking his answer would basically have nothing to do with the question. At the time I gave him the benefit of doubt and assumed he was just not a great public speaker, but based on what we know about him now I think he's just a moron. It doesn't surprise me at all that he would not know or at least be able to identify signs.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 4361
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 4268
x 1833

Re: Addison Russell

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:04 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
GaryWoods wrote:
HawkeTrackler wrote:https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/07/22/addison-russell-admits-mental-errors-not-being-familiar-with-signs/

“Also, not missing signs as well,” Russell said. “Stay on top of those. Remind myself, I need to become more familiar with the signs as well. So there’s no gap there. You know exactly what’s being put on so you can do your job more efficient.”

YIKES


Well, you can't really expect a guy to learn all those pesky signs in just five years, after all.


To be honest, I never got the impression that Addison Russell was smart. Even before the abuse allegations came out, something just seemed off about his interviews. He used a lot of cliches (some of used incorrectly like the bartender in Boondock Saints), often times if a question involved any sort of critical thinking his answer would basically have nothing to do with the question. At the time I gave him the benefit of doubt and assumed he was just not a great public speaker, but based on what we know about him now I think he's just a moron. It doesn't surprise me at all that he would not know or at least be able to identify signs.

I definitely got that vibe too. I think that is part of the reason that the rest of the team, management most especially, is bending over backwards to enable the guy. He was the lovable clubhouse idiot until he abused his wife. He is some kind of project that they can fix if only they can give him the right guidance.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1182
x 1372

Re: Addison Russell

Postby squally1313 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 pm

That's kinda besides the point, isn't it? Unless you're assuming/implying that Russell is some sort of incredibly unique outlier amongst baseball players, much less athletes in general who are expected to memorize schemes/playbooks/etc, this is something everyone who plays is expected to be comfortable with. I'm aware he probably wasn't allowed to have much interaction with the team during his suspension, and therefore missed the meetings at ST or whatever, but he's been with the team for 2.5 months now. He knows, or at least should know, he's on thin ice. He needs to get his horsefeathers together when it comes to stuff like this.
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 4361
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 4268
x 1833

Re: Addison Russell

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:51 pm

squally1313 wrote:That's kinda besides the point, isn't it?

Yeah, definitely.


squally1313 wrote:Unless you're assuming/implying that Russell is some sort of incredibly unique outlier amongst baseball players, much less athletes in general who are expected to memorize schemes/playbooks/etc

I'm assuming exactly that.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61465
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 8756
x 5192

Re: Addison Russell

Postby David » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:59 pm

yeah, i think, on top of being an horsefeathers, russell is really really dumb. like, among baseball players.
1 x

User avatar
HawkeTrackler
Role Player
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:43 pm
x 294
x 85

Re: Addison Russell

Postby HawkeTrackler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:16 pm

squally1313 wrote:He knows, or at least should know, he's on thin ice.


Maybe he's too dumb to even realize that
0 x
Friend of Nature and all-around Nice Boy. I know most of the states and all of the meals.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8364
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 217
x 2996

Re: Addison Russell

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Or maybe he's not really on thin ice.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23426
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 878
x 1829

Re: Addison Russell

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:19 pm

nobody is held accountable in this organization
1 x

User avatar
The_Achiever
All-Star
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am
x 500
x 268

Re: Addison Russell

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:36 pm

Russell is definitely dumb but I don't remember him being this baseball dumb back in 15/16.

I thought he was going to be a superstar.
0 x

User avatar
Bote McBoteface
All-Star
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:03 pm
Location: South Florida
x 53
x 213

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Bote McBoteface » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:25 am

Casually admitting that you dont know the signs should get you released even if you aren’t a piece of crap who sucks at baseball.
2 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 81827
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 12796
x 15364

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:10 pm

LOTS of parallels between him and D. Rose.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 79034
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3042
x 4830
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:LOTS of parallels between him and D. Rose.


Except Rose was a lot better at his sport. But yeah I agree on the rest of the comparison.
2 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 740
x 410

Re: Addison Russell

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:05 pm

The_Achiever wrote:Russell is definitely dumb but I don't remember him being this baseball dumb back in 15/16.

I thought he was going to be a superstar.


I think being stupid is part of what made Theo think he would be a superstar too. I think in Moneyball (book not movie) Beane talked about how stupid Lenny Dykstra was and how that was a quality he looked for in identifying future stars? "Hes so dumb all he cares about is baseball", that sort of thing.
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 12733
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1880
x 916

Re: Addison Russell

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:13 pm

But, Barry Larkin...
0 x
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70465
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1247
x 2572

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:16 pm

I have come to just really hate his face. Someone needs to slap that smirky grin off of his stupid face
0 x


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StopLaughing and 10 guests