Addison Russell

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1800
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 2487
x 486

Re: Addison Russell

Postby cl smooth » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:11 am

squally1313 wrote:Ok, then horsefeathers Carl and Heyward too, though for whatever reason when you click on all the comments, Heyward's doesn't show up, so maybe there's a chance he went in and deleted that one (no idea how Instagram looks). Also says 'Comments on this post have been limited', whatever that means.


russell filters the comments on his instagram photos so that none of the "wife beater" comments show up. other famous people who don't want to be harassed by random internet people for their past do the same thing (jeremy piven, for example).
0 x

User avatar
Splendid Splinter
All-Star
Posts: 2251
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am
x 6954
x 163

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:20 am

Hunter wrote:I generally like to let facts come out before I am willing to condemn someone. I also believe everyone deserves second chances and giving people the opportunity to apologize and move forward. I have been willing to give Russell such an opportunity and thought maybe the Cubs are doing the same. I can respect the Cubs if they honestly intended to do so.

However, the more that is coming out the more I too want Russell gone. The stories are troubling because they speak to an overall lack of character more so than Russell making stupid mistakes. His production hasn't been great, and his salary can't be an issue. The only thing I can fathom is the Cubs are either desperately trying to recover some value out of this situation, or this is all to stay in Boras' good graces. Neither reason is worth it, and he needs to go.


This is how I feel as well. So glad I bought Baez WS jersey beginning of 2017 season so it won't bother me about buying another Cub related merch for a long time.

Now to the bold part. Is there any blowback to the Cubs from Boras in this situation? Like if Cubs just outright release him and lets say Russell can't find a team to sign him all offseason, would Boras throw up his arms and start talking to MLBPA about filing a grievance or whatever? Boras could be like, "There's no video proof, convicted/arrest, etc and all we're relying on are the words of a couple womens and that the Cubs should still be paying him this season." It's a horsefeathers look for Boras, but I can see him sticking up to his client in that way.

Surely Theo/Cubs aren't worried that this could happen right? I'm just trying to think of another option on why Cubs have kept Russell so far that haven't been talked about. I don't think this has been brought up in this thread yet.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 823
x 811

Re: Addison Russell

Postby squally1313 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:26 am

Regarding my opinions of the team, I'm trying to remain somewhat optimistic in the face pretty much all the evidence with the fact that it's only December and he doesn't have to/get to put on a Cubs jersey for another two months. Not necessarily because I hold much faith in Theo/Jed/Joe/the Rickett's moral character at this point, but just because...I don't know, I really like baseball. The unfortunate reality is that he's almost definitely going to be playing baseball for someone once the suspension is over. There are a few ways to make that be not the Cubs.
1 x

Southpaw19
All-Star
Posts: 3460
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:37 pm
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
x 8
x 110
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Southpaw19 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:42 am

After reading @elizadushku and her account of her abuse, and then reading the #MelisaReidy stuff that came out today ... I'm feeling really bleh about mankind. Then I realized I was still following Russell on IG, so I unfollowed him.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27198
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 35
x 3703
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:43 am

Yeah it looks like he's got it set so that only people he follows can comment, there is 7 comments including Heyward, Carl, the mayor of Pensacola who said it was great seeing him yesterday and someone with the username addisonrussell.27
0 x

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11758
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 567
x 1005

Re: Addison Russell

Postby sneakypower » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:54 am

ScrubMD wrote:I can see Theo's reasoning for trying to handle this in a way where they at least try to get something of some sort of value for Russell. He could see it as his responsibility to the other players or something. But if Russell ends up actually playing another inning for the Cubs, then they can all go f themselves.

this basically concedes Theo has zero moral compass, which tbh is pretty fair
0 x

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 805
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 319
x 427

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Bertz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:57 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
Hunter wrote:I generally like to let facts come out before I am willing to condemn someone. I also believe everyone deserves second chances and giving people the opportunity to apologize and move forward. I have been willing to give Russell such an opportunity and thought maybe the Cubs are doing the same. I can respect the Cubs if they honestly intended to do so.

However, the more that is coming out the more I too want Russell gone. The stories are troubling because they speak to an overall lack of character more so than Russell making stupid mistakes. His production hasn't been great, and his salary can't be an issue. The only thing I can fathom is the Cubs are either desperately trying to recover some value out of this situation, or this is all to stay in Boras' good graces. Neither reason is worth it, and he needs to go.


This is how I feel as well. So glad I bought Baez WS jersey beginning of 2017 season so it won't bother me about buying another Cub related merch for a long time.

Now to the bold part. Is there any blowback to the Cubs from Boras in this situation? Like if Cubs just outright release him and lets say Russell can't find a team to sign him all offseason, would Boras throw up his arms and start talking to MLBPA about filing a grievance or whatever? Boras could be like, "There's no video proof, convicted/arrest, etc and all we're relying on are the words of a couple womens and that the Cubs should still be paying him this season." It's a horsefeathers look for Boras, but I can see him sticking up to his client in that way.

Surely Theo/Cubs aren't worried that this could happen right? I'm just trying to think of another option on why Cubs have kept Russell so far that haven't been talked about. I don't think this has been brought up in this thread yet.


If the team had cut Russell, and Boras had come back with a grievance and won, the downside to the club would have been that they got to play or trade Russell (who, on a purely between the lines basis is still a modestly valuable asset) while having shown unequivocally that they do not support his behavior. The situation would be similar to the Yankees with Arod near the end of his career. It puts Joe Maddon in an awkward spot (which honestly might be a bonus for Theo at the moment) but if the Arod precedent were to hold it wouldn't spill over to any of Boras' other clients. I don't remember reading at any point during the Arod drama about them having issues acquiring or retaining other Boras clients.

The one negative thing it would do is force the team to hold Russell's potential ~$4m aside in case they end up having to pay it. That sucks with money being so tight, but he's not making $30 mil like Arod was, they can deal.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 11933
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 15
x 50

Re: Addison Russell

Postby stitchface » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:11 am

Boras is a pure businessman. He doesn't hold grudges because grudges are bad for business.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33990
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1768
x 1752

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:33 am

We swallowed our pride with Chapman, we're gonna swallow it with this too.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20691
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 145
x 415

Re: Addison Russell

Postby UK » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 am

I've struggled with this one more than anything surrounding the Cubs. I incorrectly overlooked Chapman due to the long suffering of losing while in a year that was great based on W/L but low on morality. Murphy is a homophobic clown, the Ricketts' and their terrible ideologies angered me but not to the point where I would consider to not follow the Cubs, but the Russell stuff hurts. It's sad on my part that it took her powerful words in an online post to trigger it. I should have believed the internet rumors that he is a POS but her words spoke great volumes about domestic violence and the mindset of the Cubs FO which enables Russell's behavior. There's little silver lining that be had from her suffering but if one person can develop the courage to leave their abusive partner, it would be that.

My son was born 4 days before they won the WS, he has never been to Wrigley. I've waited until he is older as I was thinking about bringing him when he is 4, so he can have a better understanding of what it means to him and probably more importantly me to watch a game there with him. Not that he should eat them on a consistent basis but I've specifically held off giving him a hot dog until he goes to Wrigley sounds stupid in theory but it's what I want for him. I want him to experience walking up and seeing the green grass, ivy, giant scoreboard, etc. or sit in the bleachers trying to get a baseball. Now, I can't and it's unfair to us to have to gauge how immoral a team has to become for me not to support them.

We've been to plenty of baseball games.... HS, collegiate, summer collegiate leagues, fall baseball, etc. and we'll still attend these but Wrigley is something I've held out for and been looking forward to doing my entire life with a child. They've stripped the innocence from that. I know it's going to sound like grandstanding and possibly fictional to some but I'm out. I don't know if it'll be until Russell is gone, the FO is gone, etc. but I can't follow them until things change for the better. I hope they sign Harper and some arms and the win the WS but it'll be tainted. Sorry for the selfish rant but I'm done with everything associated with the Cubs.

I wish you all the best, hopefully they'll have a change of heart so I can too.
4 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77864
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 10106
x 13119

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:03 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:oh and if this wasnt a horsefeathers enough of a day, richard spencer's LIBERAL girlfriend wrote about what a great guy he is and they were both wearing cubs hats in the picture


horsefeathers' come on.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Deeg
All-Star
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:14 pm
Location: Kagurazaka, Japan
x 3
x 8

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Deeg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:22 am

I wonder how much of this stuff (some of which was already taking place) the Cubs were aware of when they traded for Russell, and if it was any concern to them at the time.
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3813
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 110
x 409

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Bull » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:50 am

squally1313 wrote:Regarding my opinions of the team, I'm trying to remain somewhat optimistic in the face pretty much all the evidence with the fact that it's only December and he doesn't have to/get to put on a Cubs jersey for another two months. Not necessarily because I hold much faith in Theo/Jed/Joe/the Rickett's moral character at this point, but just because...I don't know, I really like baseball. The unfortunate reality is that he's almost definitely going to be playing baseball for someone once the suspension is over. There are a few ways to make that be not the Cubs.

If he actually remains a Cub, I can’t imagine he will be with the team at spring training. They’ll avoid the media attention as much as possible. He will likely have an “extended spring trading” during the first 40 games of the regular season. Is that how PED suspensions at the beginning of the season are handled?
0 x
Image

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22750
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 792
x 1453

Re: Addison Russell

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:38 am

subtractidaughter russell
3 x

Hunter
Starter
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:09 pm
x 38
x 143

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Hunter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:26 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
Hunter wrote:I generally like to let facts come out before I am willing to condemn someone. I also believe everyone deserves second chances and giving people the opportunity to apologize and move forward. I have been willing to give Russell such an opportunity and thought maybe the Cubs are doing the same. I can respect the Cubs if they honestly intended to do so.

However, the more that is coming out the more I too want Russell gone. The stories are troubling because they speak to an overall lack of character more so than Russell making stupid mistakes. His production hasn't been great, and his salary can't be an issue. The only thing I can fathom is the Cubs are either desperately trying to recover some value out of this situation, or this is all to stay in Boras' good graces. Neither reason is worth it, and he needs to go.


This is how I feel as well. So glad I bought Baez WS jersey beginning of 2017 season so it won't bother me about buying another Cub related merch for a long time.

Now to the bold part. Is there any blowback to the Cubs from Boras in this situation? Like if Cubs just outright release him and lets say Russell can't find a team to sign him all offseason, would Boras throw up his arms and start talking to MLBPA about filing a grievance or whatever? Boras could be like, "There's no video proof, convicted/arrest, etc and all we're relying on are the words of a couple womens and that the Cubs should still be paying him this season." It's a horsefeathers look for Boras, but I can see him sticking up to his client in that way.

Surely Theo/Cubs aren't worried that this could happen right? I'm just trying to think of another option on why Cubs have kept Russell so far that haven't been talked about. I don't think this has been brought up in this thread yet.


For the Boras angle, I more see it a possibility of him having an impact on signing Harper or extending/resigning Bryant. It might not be that big of an impact, but you don't want to piss him off either. In the end, the most money usually wins, but you want to keep a good relationship with the guy who holds strong influence of people you want to sign or extend. I've been of the belief that the Cubs tendered Russell to pay him $3-$4 million he will get and then trade him when it becomes doable. You keep Boras happy because you didn't completely kick Russell to the curb where he ends up getting nothing better than a minor league contract offered to him by another team.
0 x

User avatar
Bluescale
All-Star
Posts: 2909
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:44 pm
Location: Eugene, OR
x 226
x 104
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Bluescale » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:59 am

Hunter wrote:You keep Boras happy because you didn't completely kick Russell to the curb where he ends up getting nothing better than a minor league contract offered to him by another team.


No, really, you don't. You cut your losses and move on. I'm not even comfortable with the idea of trading to try to recoup some value. I get that it's the right business move, but some things should be bigger than business. I don't want to gain anything from his horsefeathers existence. I want the team to drop him like the flaming bag of horsefeathers that he is.

If I were more vindictive, maybe I'd want him sent off to the minor leagues to sit on a bench and burn a number of his most valuable years. But I don't know that that accomplishes anything, and I'm pretty sure that would result in a viable grievance claim.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7538
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 336
x 394

Re: Addison Russell

Postby badger » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:17 am

Southpaw19 wrote:After reading @elizadushku and her account of her abuse, and then reading the #MelisaReidy stuff that came out today ... I'm feeling really bleh about mankind. Then I realized I was still following Russell on IG, so I unfollowed him.


Watching a trump rally would have saved you some time to get to that bleh feeling about mankind.
1 x

Hunter
Starter
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:09 pm
x 38
x 143

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Hunter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Bluescale wrote:
Hunter wrote:You keep Boras happy because you didn't completely kick Russell to the curb where he ends up getting nothing better than a minor league contract offered to him by another team.


No, really, you don't. You cut your losses and move on. I'm not even comfortable with the idea of trading to try to recoup some value. I get that it's the right business move, but some things should be bigger than business. I don't want to gain anything from his horsefeathers existence. I want the team to drop him like the flaming bag of horsefeathers that he is.

If I were more vindictive, maybe I'd want him sent off to the minor leagues to sit on a bench and burn a number of his most valuable years. But I don't know that that accomplishes anything, and I'm pretty sure that would result in a viable grievance claim.


I am not saying what I would do but trying to reason what the organization is doing. It isn't worth any justification to keep him.
1 x

User avatar
SaorsaDaonnan
Starter
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:11 am
x 1
x 25

Re: Addison Russell

Postby SaorsaDaonnan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Needs to be banned for life from all MLB facilities and events, to say nothing of released. It’s that simple.

(Not that this was unclear months ago, just that it bears repeating.)
1 x
"You cannot microwave experience," Colletti said. "The only way to get it is to live it."

entbird79
Starter
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:09 am
x 855
x 64

Re: Addison Russell

Postby entbird79 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Just give him 16 million quarters and move on from this piece of horsefeathers
10 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27198
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 35
x 3703
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:54 pm

0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77864
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 10106
x 13119

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 pm

In addition to the horrific stuff imb posted from the article already:

One Christmas, they argued after he said something she describes as “insulting and disrespectful” and embarrassed” her in front of her family. After an argument, she left the apartment in exasperation with Aiden and got in the car to drive away. “He was hitting the car. I thought he was going to break the window at one point,” Reidy says. She went to a friend’s house and she was asked what she was doing with him. “I’m like, I don’t know but what am I supposed to do? What do I do?”

Melisa says Russell also had a habit of breaking her phone when he was angry with her, mentioning two specific incidents. Once, he taunted her about trying to plan their wedding without it and another time, it resulted in him giving her a new one as a “Christmas present”. Reidy became suspicious of gifts from Russell early on. When he offered to buy her a car after Aiden was born, she didn’t want any part of it. “I said, I’m not picking it. I didn’t want anything to do with it because I knew he was gonna hold it over my head,” she says.

Money was one of the things Melisa felt Russell always held over her. “He always told me, I have the career here, not you. I make the money. What do you do?” Nevermind, Reidy adds, that she gave up her career and her life because Addison wanted her to be with him. She describes their financial arrangement as her having a separate card that he deposited money on once a month that he told her to use for herself and Aiden. She had no access to his money and her allowance was expected to cover “diapers, wipes, food, travel, hygiene, stuff for the house” and remembers using it to purchase items to make a gift basket for the Cubs to auction off for charity. Or, other times, she says they would go out to eat and he would get angry, storming out in the middle of a meal and leaving her with the bill.

The day after Aiden’s first birthday, Reidy remembers Russell being “really, really mean” to her. He had been trying to call her while she was sleeping. When she got in touch with him, she says he just started “cussing me out and saying horsefeathers you, you’re a horsefeathering bitch…you don’t horsefeathering deserve me.” She says she had to beg Russell not to cancel her flight to Los Angeles to bring Aiden to come see him during the Cubs series against the Dodgers. Going to Los Angeles turned out to be, in Melisa’s words, the “worst trip ever”.

The day she arrived, she “saw stuff on his iPad” and realized that he was cheating on her again. This time, with a woman who she described as a “really, really close friend”. She still had to fly back on the Cubs’ plane with Russell, to whom she wasn’t speaking. She was sitting with Aiden near the window when she says Russell came over, grabbed her leg, squeezed it, and started to whisper in her ear. “He was like, “If you don’t horsefeathering act normal right now, I swear to god, I’m going to embarrass both of us on this plane. Do you really want that? Do you really want me to embarrass you in front of everybody? …Act horsefeathering right, act like I’m your horsefeathering husband. Treat me like I’m your husband,” Melisa says she asked him what he wanted her to do. His response? “He was like, talk to me. Turn around. Look at me. Sit closer.”


If you haven't read it already, do so since the site is up and working again:

http://www.expandedroster.com/2018/12/1 ... to-listen/
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 13199
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm
x 413
x 218

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Yeah, I'm done with him. And I'm done with the Cubs until he's off the team.
2 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14999
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lakeview
x 4860
x 1645

Re: Addison Russell

Postby The Logan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:28 pm

If the Cubs retain Russell and start a network with Sinclair then I'm kinda hoping the White Sox do get Harper so I can have a much easier time still rooting for a Chicago baseball team this year.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8919
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 4037
x 439

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Old Style » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Has Addison fathered any new bastards since I checked this thread yesterday?
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CoBleacherBum, Google Adsense [Bot], JLN and 7 guests