Addison Russell

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10627
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 16
x 240

Re: Addison Russell

Postby biittner77 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:38 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I just don't see it happening. After his suspension was over they said he'd be in Iowa for a few weeks and he was up after 10 games. They pushed him right to the top of the pecking order. We've heard nothing about repercussions for his latest quote, or that anyone in the organization gave a horsefeathers about what he said or how he handled himself.

To me, it seems that they want him to be a Cub, and they believe he helps maximize the 25 man, probably giving them assurance at SS if Javy gets hurt.


10 games is about 2 weeks but whatever.
Maybe they said something privately to him but they've painted themselves into a corner publicly. They can't blast him in the press for these comments and still maintain the BS about "He's making strides" or being held accountable.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9183
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1508
x 653

Re: Addison Russell

Postby javy knows my name » Mon May 13, 2019 6:51 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I just don't see it happening. After his suspension was over they said he'd be in Iowa for a few weeks and he was up after 10 games. They pushed him right to the top of the pecking order. We've heard nothing about repercussions for his latest quote, or that anyone in the organization gave a horsefeathers about what he said or how he handled himself.

To me, it seems that they want him to be a Cub, and they believe he helps maximize the 25 man, probably giving them assurance at SS if Javy gets hurt.


you can find plenty of middle infielders that don't have a history of abusing women, and ones that have an OPS of .650. the Cubs have a couple in the minors that would qualify.

he's a terrible guy, and he sucks at baseball. i really don't understand why Theo is so attached at the hip with this dude.

I think Theo views him as an undervalued asset rather than somebody he's tied to at the hip.


I think Theo is being pressured to keep him because Joe Ricketts wants him for political, anti-#metoo reasons
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 3824
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 588

Re: Addison Russell

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 pm

And then there's this

0 x

User avatar
Agony and Ivy
All-Star
Posts: 2859
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Austin TX
x 1539
x 753

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Agony and Ivy » Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:And then there's this



TIL Karl Ravech is not only alive but pretending he has sources.
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 4243
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 4145
x 1766

Re: Addison Russell

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue May 14, 2019 12:05 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:And then there's this


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
3 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 81325
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 12522
x 15076

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 14, 2019 12:19 am

I'd say this is a case of Theo not knowing yet again when to quit one of "his guys," but they horsefeathering traded for Russell basically fully formed, so that's not even a horsefeathering excuse. horsefeathers THIS. horsefeathering Dum Dum-headed dork hypocrite.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24922
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7230
x 5191

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:And then there's this


Carl Ravech doesn’t know horsefeathers, just like when Buster and the other ESPN idiots tried to stir up the KB horsefeathers this offseason
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 3824
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 588

Re: Addison Russell

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:06 am

I'm just saying

Practically nothing has inferred that Russell is actually on the bubble. I don't think they give a horsefeathers what he's done.
0 x

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9476
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 5040
x 577

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Old Style » Tue May 14, 2019 1:24 am

God I hope Ravech is 1000% wrong on this.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7828
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 985

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue May 14, 2019 1:29 am

The good news is that Addison Russell will never play well enough to have this happen.
3 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8227
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 214
x 2897

Re: Addison Russell

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 am

Moving Javy to accommodate a mediocre player, and POS person, like Russell sounds like something the Marlins would do.

I want to say I would be shocked if they did this, but I no longer can be surprised by what these asswipes do. horsefeathers them all.
1 x

User avatar
TMan92
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7791
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 am
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
x 49
x 555

Re: Addison Russell

Postby TMan92 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:33 pm

From the Athletic:
Melisa Reidy, Russell’s ex-wife and the cooperating witness who shaped the 40-game suspension under Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy with the players’ union, shared her thoughts on the situation with an Instagram post:

“Continuing to project hatred won’t solve or help encourage anyone to be a better person,” Reidy wrote. “I see Addison taking hits from every direction (and) he continues to show up (and) face crowds that are disgusted with him. Which is completely understandable for y’all to feel that way…I felt that way for a long time.

“Has he really changed? I don’t know. Maybe it’s for his career, or because he has no other option but to suck it up, to be able to make a living to support all his children. (But) it also might just be someone who has been lost his entire life, trying to figure out who they are (and) attempt to become a less horsefeathers person.

“Only God knows Addison’s heart. Not gonna lie he’s not my favorite person but my heart & conscience can’t take much more of the brutal name calling & condemning. I’ve forgiven Addison for hurting me & I’ve let go of all the anger I once had towards him.”
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 81325
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 12522
x 15076

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 14, 2019 3:35 pm

TMan92 wrote:Only God knows Addison’s heart.


I mean...it's not only God that's hearing the dumb, unrepentant, egotistical things he keeps saying.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

entbird79
Starter
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:09 am
x 1193
x 88

Re: Addison Russell

Postby entbird79 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Forgotmyoldlogin wrote:A friend of mine who’s worked security at Wrigley has quit after the events of this past week. Here’s what he posted to Facebook, sharing with his permission.

Of course, it is appropriate that my last day not only go extra innings, but be cold and be raining from inning 3 through inning 15.

Of course, in my final week, the organization would welcome back a man who has been accused, punished, and suspended for domestic violence, saying that he will be held to a higher standard and that they should be a part of the solution and rehabilitation of the abuser. And yet, in his first "un-coached" quotes since coming back, the abuser did nothing more than prove that he has learned nothing, still doesn't understand the gravity and seriousness of the assaults he has committed. Of course, he has not been held to a higher standard, and clearly he is not going to be asked to uphold one. Words and actions that were nothing more than cosmetic and hollow to dry to blow past the storm instead of bracing and making choices to break the storm

Of course, there is also just the game of baseball, which I love, the team itself (Definitely not it's owners, definitely not it's organization), which I love, and the palace in which they play, which I love most of all. All of them together providing a week full of drama, joy and memories on the field. Three Walk-off homers in a 5 game span, a 4-2 week, games that will be remembered for a long time in a legitimate historical landmark that I've been lucky enough to call a second home for more than 5 years.

Some physical pain and discomfort, some joy and memories forever, and reminders that the machine behind it doesn't intend on being better. I'm not sure there is a better time capsule for my journey there than this week.

I leave with love in my heart for those of us at the ground level, trying to do the best we can to make the experience joyful for everyone with nearly zero support from the people who's job it is to run it. I leave with love for the place, its' beauty and its' history. And I leave still loving the game and the team.


Give Roast our best!
4 x

Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 am
x 55
x 102

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Tue May 14, 2019 5:15 pm

entbird79 wrote:
Forgotmyoldlogin wrote:A friend of mine who’s worked security at Wrigley has quit after the events of this past week. Here’s what he posted to Facebook, sharing with his permission.

Of course, it is appropriate that my last day not only go extra innings, but be cold and be raining from inning 3 through inning 15.

Of course, in my final week, the organization would welcome back a man who has been accused, punished, and suspended for domestic violence, saying that he will be held to a higher standard and that they should be a part of the solution and rehabilitation of the abuser. And yet, in his first "un-coached" quotes since coming back, the abuser did nothing more than prove that he has learned nothing, still doesn't understand the gravity and seriousness of the assaults he has committed. Of course, he has not been held to a higher standard, and clearly he is not going to be asked to uphold one. Words and actions that were nothing more than cosmetic and hollow to dry to blow past the storm instead of bracing and making choices to break the storm

Of course, there is also just the game of baseball, which I love, the team itself (Definitely not it's owners, definitely not it's organization), which I love, and the palace in which they play, which I love most of all. All of them together providing a week full of drama, joy and memories on the field. Three Walk-off homers in a 5 game span, a 4-2 week, games that will be remembered for a long time in a legitimate historical landmark that I've been lucky enough to call a second home for more than 5 years.

Some physical pain and discomfort, some joy and memories forever, and reminders that the machine behind it doesn't intend on being better. I'm not sure there is a better time capsule for my journey there than this week.

I leave with love in my heart for those of us at the ground level, trying to do the best we can to make the experience joyful for everyone with nearly zero support from the people who's job it is to run it. I leave with love for the place, its' beauty and its' history. And I leave still loving the game and the team.


Give Roast our best!


It’s not Roast! He quit years ago.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70124
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1230
x 2482

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Derwood » Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 pm

TMan92 wrote:From the Athletic:
Melisa Reidy, Russell’s ex-wife and the cooperating witness who shaped the 40-game suspension under Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy with the players’ union, shared her thoughts on the situation with an Instagram post:

“Continuing to project hatred won’t solve or help encourage anyone to be a better person,” Reidy wrote. “I see Addison taking hits from every direction (and) he continues to show up (and) face crowds that are disgusted with him. Which is completely understandable for y’all to feel that way…I felt that way for a long time.

“Has he really changed? I don’t know. Maybe it’s for his career, or because he has no other option but to suck it up, to be able to make a living to support all his children. (But) it also might just be someone who has been lost his entire life, trying to figure out who they are (and) attempt to become a less horsefeathers person.

“Only God knows Addison’s heart. Not gonna lie he’s not my favorite person but my heart & conscience can’t take much more of the brutal name calling & condemning. I’ve forgiven Addison for hurting me & I’ve let go of all the anger I once had towards him.”



But I've been told that she is only in it for the fame/money, and that he's completely innocent. Why should I listen to a word that this gold-digging attention whore has to say?

/this is what people really think
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24922
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7230
x 5191

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 pm

3 x
Screw Pitchers

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 4132
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 827
x 537
Contact:

Re: Addison Russell

Postby NOLA » Tue May 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/mlbastian/status/1128417828892233728?s=21

0 x

BigSlick
Superstar
Posts: 14654
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:04 pm
x 2995
x 506

Re: Addison Russell

Postby BigSlick » Wed May 15, 2019 1:22 am

I don't even understand the cynical 'baseball-only' side of this. Addison Russell is not a very good baseball player. I don't even think he's better than Javy defensively. Why are they doing this? It makes no sense to me from any angle.
0 x
Image
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

Gmoney08
All-Star
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 am
x 80
x 193

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Gmoney08 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:22 am

BigSlick wrote:I don't even understand the cynical 'baseball-only' side of this. Addison Russell is not a very good baseball player. I don't even think he's better than Javy defensively. Why are they doing this? It makes no sense to me from any angle.


Looks like Ravech was wrong and Theo put the kabosh on this report.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6852
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 573
x 611

Re: Addison Russell

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 15, 2019 4:25 am

Gmoney08 wrote:
BigSlick wrote:I don't even understand the cynical 'baseball-only' side of this. Addison Russell is not a very good baseball player. I don't even think he's better than Javy defensively. Why are they doing this? It makes no sense to me from any angle.


Looks like Ravech was wrong and Theo put the kabosh on this report.


Oh thank goodness
1 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 81325
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 12522
x 15076

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 15, 2019 1:35 pm

BigSlick wrote:I don't even understand the cynical 'baseball-only' side of this. Addison Russell is not a very good baseball player. I don't even think he's better than Javy defensively. Why are they doing this? It makes no sense to me from any angle.


That's my take on the whole thing; like, let's say he turns it around and starts playing well again for a while. How realistic is it to say he's an actual trade asset? His whole rep right now is as an abusive scumbag, so how many teams are going to actually give up anything of value for him?

Yeah, I know teams have been more than happy in the past (including the VERY recent past) to gloss over this type of thing, but it does definitely feel like things have changed and are changing in terms of how fans and the media approach players like this. It seems like complete BS for the Cubs to be trying to shape this like they either want him to be good enough again to be a viable trade chip OR a useful player on the Cubs, because there's essentially no way for him to get out from under the stain (and rightly so) of what he did multiple times. This guy is NEVER going to be of any real value in a trade, and it's a horsefeathering farce for the Cubs to essentially act like he still needs to be on the team along those lines.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 3720
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1152
x 1344

Re: Addison Russell

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
BigSlick wrote:I don't even understand the cynical 'baseball-only' side of this. Addison Russell is not a very good baseball player. I don't even think he's better than Javy defensively. Why are they doing this? It makes no sense to me from any angle.


That's my take on the whole thing; like, let's say he turns it around and starts playing well again for a while. How realistic is it to say he's an actual trade asset? His whole rep right now is as an abusive scumbag, so how many teams are going to actually give up anything of value for him?

Yeah, I know teams have been more than happy in the past (including the VERY recent past) to gloss over this type of thing, but it does definitely feel like things have changed and are changing in terms of how fans and the media approach players like this. It seems like complete BS for the Cubs to be trying to shape this like they either want him to be good enough again to be a viable trade chip OR a useful player on the Cubs, because there's essentially no way for him to get out from under the stain (and rightly so) of what he did multiple times. This guy is NEVER going to be of any real value in a trade, and it's a horsefeathering farce for the Cubs to essentially act like he still needs to be on the team along those lines.


The only thing that made/makes sense to me is that right now he's insurance for any sort of significant Javy injury. No one else on the roster can play SS consistently, and the couple names down in AAA, while performing pretty well now (Adames, Dixon Machado) were essentially complete unknowns going into this year. That doesn't explain at all why he got called up for Zobrist, outside of maybe it was just fluky timing with Zobrist leaving for an undisclosed length of time and Descalso being old and slow and having a nagging injury, which left you with basically KB, Javy, and Bote as infielders.

This is all from a pure baseball perspective by the way. Big picture, as always, horsefeathers Addison Russell.
1 x

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 6
x 159

Re: Addison Russell

Postby champaignchris » Wed May 15, 2019 3:03 pm

That’s precisely the question... good glove/bad bat middle infielders who can backup the starting shortstop are a dime a dozen... so why does it have to be Addison Russell? Why take the publicity hit when there are literally a dozen players who’d happily adequately fill that roll for $2.5MM less per year?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the Cubs:
a. Think Russell is doing things right off the field in order to be a better person going forward; AND
b. Think Russell can get back to being a starting- to All-Star-quality player.

The Cubs are obviously in better position to know these things than I am, but the early returns in both respects don’t look great.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 81325
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 12522
x 15076

Re: Addison Russell

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 15, 2019 3:04 pm

So long as Happ is in the org and still healthy, there's absolutely no reason for Russell to be up.

(Obviously there's no good reason for him to be on the team, period)
0 x
► Show Spoiler


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests