Addison Russell

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Addison Russell is awesome and deserves a thread

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:28 pm

*Arbitrary end points alert*

Since June 12: 41 Games, .275/.369/.522/.890, 8 HR, 8 2B, 1 3B, 29 RBI, 19.4% K rate, 11.3% BB rate and only a .300 BABIP
0 x
Win it for Fred

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:29 pm

UMFan83 wrote:*Arbitrary end points alert*

Since June 12: 41 Games, .275/.369/.522/.890, 8 HR, 8 2B, 1 3B, 29 RBI, 19.4% K rate, 11.3% BB rate and only a .300 BABIP

Maybe I should update my article...
0 x
Spoiler: show

hawkeyecub
5-Time All-Star

Postby hawkeyecub » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:42 pm

He's such a flat line player. He and Javy are so fun to watch while having some totally contrasting traits.
0 x

MarkR
Starter

Postby MarkR » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:50 pm

hawkeyecub wrote:He's such a flat line player. He and Javy are so fun to watch while having some totally contrasting traits.

I love him too. Maybe this is a bit nitpicking, but I found myself incredulously agreeing with Hawk on the broadcast today. On Russell's throw in the ninth, it didn't look... normal? Hawk then alluded to he might be having some shoulder discomfort. I hadn't heard anything about that. Btw, I switched over to the Sox broadcast for my own personal enjoyment at all times the cubs did well. He was fawning over how good Baez, Russell, etc are. Pretty shocking.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:07 pm

MarkR wrote:
hawkeyecub wrote:He's such a flat line player. He and Javy are so fun to watch while having some totally contrasting traits.

I love him too. Maybe this is a bit nitpicking, but I found myself incredulously agreeing with Hawk on the broadcast today. On Russell's throw in the ninth, it didn't look... normal? Hawk then alluded to he might be having some shoulder discomfort. I hadn't heard anything about that. Btw, I switched over to the Sox broadcast for my own personal enjoyment at all times the cubs did well. He was fawning over how good Baez, Russell, etc are. Pretty shocking.

yeah, I had the same comments with Wednesday's broadcast. I found it somewhat strange to hear both Hawk and Stone be so complimentary of the team and so many of the individual players. they even made it a point to talk about how Heyward was way too good of a hitter to stay down and stuff like that.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:10 pm

I thought Hawk just basically said the only knock against Russell is that he seemed to not have as strong an arm as you usually want from a SS; I must have missed him specifically talking about how he might have any discomfort when throwing.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
MarkR wrote:

yeah, I had the same comments with Wednesday's broadcast. I found it somewhat strange to hear both Hawk and Stone be so complimentary of the team and so many of the individual players. they even made it a point to talk about how Heyward was way too good of a hitter to stay down and stuff like that.

staying out of comiskey has done wonders for Hawk's well being, and spending less time with Hawk probably helped stone
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I thought Hawk just basically said the only knock against Russell is that he seemed to not have as strong an arm as you usually want from a SS; I must have missed him specifically talking about how he might have any discomfort when throwing.

I wonder if it's more or less the same thing. Not discomfort, but just looked odd because he had to put a little more effort into the throw than most shortstops with a stronger arm. I've noticed it every now and then too, but he's so smooth with the glove that it's not even worth complaining about.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:26 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I thought Hawk just basically said the only knock against Russell is that he seemed to not have as strong an arm as you usually want from a SS; I must have missed him specifically talking about how he might have any discomfort when throwing.

I wonder if it's more or less the same thing. Not discomfort, but just looked odd because he had to put a little more effort into the throw than most shortstops with a stronger arm. I've noticed it every now and then too, but he's so smooth with the glove that it's not even worth complaining about.

Yeah, it's not like it's some big secret; I've seen it brought up plenty of times that he technically doesn't have as strong an arm as you want or hope from a SS, but it's not like it's got a noodle out there or anything.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:37 pm

davell wrote:

I thought this would be about a girl.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:13 am

Just a reminder: Our 22-year-old shortstop is going to hit over 20 home runs, while ranking in the top 3 among shortstops in BB% and DRS.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:45 am

Duke Silver wrote:Just a reminder: Our 22-year-old shortstop is going to hit over 20 home runs, while ranking in the top 3 among shortstops in BB% and DRS.

Yeah, if I told this board that Russell would be a 20 HR, 80 RBI guy while hitting 9th half the year, with gold glove defense, everyone would have thought those were extreme ceiling numbers.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:46 am

Derwood wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Just a reminder: Our 22-year-old shortstop is going to hit over 20 home runs, while ranking in the top 3 among shortstops in BB% and DRS.

Yeah, if I told this board that Russell would be a 20 HR, 80 RBI guy while hitting 9th half the year, with gold glove defense, everyone would have thought those were extreme ceiling numbers.

Addison Russell has hit 9th exactly once this year
4 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:47 am

Derwood wrote:

I don't remember Russell hitting 9th at all this year.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:50 am

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:

dammit. Bottom 3rd then. Pretty much cemented at 7th or 8th until fairly recently.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:51 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I don't remember Russell hitting 9th at all this year.

opening night at LAA
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:29 am

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:

lmao
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:39 am

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:48 am

Here, let me express my pleasure in the most terrifying way possible:

4 x
► Show Spoiler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:03 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Here, let me express my pleasure in the most terrifying way possible:

2 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:38 am

Where's that old clip of the cat and the dead mouse clapping when you need it?
0 x
Win it for Fred

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:10 am

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:48 am

1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:53 am

I think UZR is severely underrating Russell this year. I'm fine with there being discrepancies between UZR and DRS, but I think I like DRS more -- a lot more actually. For one, UZR doesn't measure pitcher defense or catcher defense, and DRS does. What the hell is that nonsense? How can you be the preeminent defensive stat if you can't measure 2 of the 9 positions? And, generally when things are wonky with a random player's DRS and UZR discrepancy, I fell like I side with DRS at least 75% of the time.

One particular thing that is really bugging me this year is that Corey Seager has an 11.6 UZR compared to Russell's 7.1. I mean, this is really pissing me off. So much. It keeps me up as I lay down to sleep every night. Corey Seager is not better defensively than Russell. Period. I will fight you if you say otherwise. I've seen them both play, and it's not close. DRS is correct: Russell with 14 runs saved and Seager with 1. Let's leave it at that... unless you want to fight me.

If you think I am being a homer, I can assure you that I am not. There are some other decent defensive stats that don't measure things in terms of runs, like RZR. RZR is an older stat that fell by the wayside when DRS and UZR came about. It stands for Revised Zone Rating. It shows simply how often a player converted balls in his "zone" into outs. Russell's second among shortstops in it. Seager is middle of the pack. RZR isn't great or anything, but, generally, it lines up pretty well with DRS and UZR. The top guys are at the top.

Insider Edge is another good thing to look at to measure defense. It splits batted balls up into categories, based on the likelihood that a normal defender will make the play. Russell blows Seager away in every single category. It's not even close. Seager looks really pedestrian according to Insider Edge.

Anyway, it pisses me off that UZR took a horsefeathers on Addison this year, because Fangraphs uses UZR to calculate WAR. And I am pretty much Fangraphs-exclusive these days. I don't horsefeathers with Baseball Reference much anymore. So UZR being horsefeathers makes Corey Seager look like he is in Kris Bryant's realm, when he's not. And, also, it is keeping Addi away from his rightful place up by Lindor, Correa, Bogaerts, et al. as a truly elite shortstop.

UZR also is screwing with Baez and Rizzo. Javy loses 7 runs going from DRS to UZR, and Rizzo loses 5. And, well, that pisses me off too. I'm to the point where I am going to revolt against Fangraphs' WAR this year by substituting DRS in instead of UZR in their formula. It's really simple, just take the difference in runs between the two and divide by this year's "runs per WAR," which is at 9.69, and tack that on. So, Addi's actually at 4.1 WAR after tonight. Don't piss me off by saying he's at 3.4 or I will fight you.
5 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”