Addison Russell

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Re: Addison Russell

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:19 pm

Today is my birthday, and I will always think back fondly of this thread. Thank you everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

And for r_mack and Jehr, I just hope that they can respect my unspoken opinions of them as people.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:23 pm

nobull wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
TMan92 wrote:While I am pretty certain that Russell is a garbage guy, I just don’t get why people don’t use legal channels for this and feel social media is the place to deliver this message.

Press charges against the horsefeathers or bury him with MLB. Wouldn’t this stuff have come up when they went through divorce proceedings?

Not delegitimizing what she went through, I just don’t get the approach.

Because this type of abuse by men is ingrained deep, deep, deep down in...well, everything. It's like racism in that it's just such an inherent part of the power dynamics of our relationships that it leads to wondering things like this. Add in the factors of the abuser being someone famous and rich? Woof. The amount of fear and self-loathing and trauma that comes with abuse (and in the response to it being exposed/reported) is why sexual assault and spousal abuse are so dramatically under-reported. It takes a LOT to finally find what it takes to speak out against someone who has dominated them via fear and violence (and, again, the likely scorn, insults, anger and humiliation that comes along with being the person to speak out), so, yeah...it's really never a surprise when a guy doesn't get why a woman wouldn't go right to the police. The police and legal system have largely just tolerated, ignored or even fostered this power imbalance basically forever. Couple it with the abuser being a famous person that scores of people want to love and be a fan of? Forget about it.

Abuser can be man or woman.

My mother abused my sister and me for years. People never gave a horsefeathers. I remember hiding in closet as a 7 year old boy. Getting strap down and beaten.

Abuse is not a man thing. It is a monster thing. So get this men bull horsefeathers out of your post. Abuser come in any sex.
Abuse marks you forever and you can become a monster or to timid to do anything.

But your post is a lot of [expletive].

Oh and Russell needs to be gone. Dude get your help but F him too.

Abuse is not a male or female thing. Me and my sister can attest to that but my father almost went to jail because of people who think like you.

He saved me and failed with my sister. She never truly recovered. Abuse is a person and not a sex.

Nobody's saying women can't abuse people; this incident is specifically about a man abusing a woman, and this type of abuse is overwhelmingly done to women by men.

I'm sorry you had to suffer what you went through.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TMan92 wrote:While I am pretty certain that Russell is a garbage guy, I just don’t get why people don’t use legal channels for this and feel social media is the place to deliver this message.

Press charges against the horsefeathers or bury him with MLB. Wouldn’t this stuff have come up when they went through divorce proceedings?

Not delegitimizing what she went through, I just don’t get the approach.

Because this type of abuse by men is ingrained deep, deep, deep down in...well, everything. It's like racism in that it's just such an inherent part of the power dynamics of our relationships that it leads to wondering things like this. Add in the factors of the abuser being someone famous and rich? Woof. The amount of fear and self-loathing and trauma that comes with abuse (and in the response to it being exposed/reported) is why sexual assault and spousal abuse are so dramatically under-reported. It takes a LOT to finally find what it takes to speak out against someone who has dominated them via fear and violence (and, again, the likely scorn, insults, anger and humiliation that comes along with being the person to speak out), so, yeah...it's really never a surprise when a guy doesn't get why a woman wouldn't go right to the police. The police and legal system have largely just tolerated, ignored or even fostered this power imbalance basically forever. Couple it with the abuser being a famous person that scores of people want to love and be a fan of? Forget about it.

I agree with everything you are saying. Now that she has gotten to the point of telling her story, I hope she hangs the horsefeathers.

I think having the MLB process here actually is a good thing for her. The Instagram approach I think is going to expose her to more nonsense and ridicule that isn’t fair.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:30 am

Unlucky for him he's not as important to a playoff run as Chapman was.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:47 am

Omar wrote:Image

Says more about our President than it does a dumb baseball player.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:05 pm

tldr; players can request an emergency hearing to get off administrative leave, and Russell/Boras are considering asking for one
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

tldr; players can request an emergency hearing to get off administrative leave, and Russell/Boras are considering asking for one

I hope that prompts an emergency unconditional release.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm

first things first:

second: if that were to happen, what options do the cubs have? can they force him to stay home and not be a distraction? could the mlbpa step in and block the cubs from doing something like that?
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 pm

cl smooth wrote:

first things first:

second: if that were to happen, what options do the cubs have? can they force him to stay home and not be a distraction? could the mlbpa step in and block the cubs from doing something like that?

I think Theo has told Addison that he can't be with the team while this active investigation/process is happening. I'm not sure what effect being on administrative leave has on a player. He's still getting paid while he is away from the team I believe (not sure).

If he somehow manages to get off administrative leave I don't think he's rejoining the team and Theo will just tell him to stay at home/away for now. He can't seriously expect to rejoin the team after the horrible post revealing what a horsefeathers person he is.

EDIT: Yeah, a player is still being paid while on administrative leave. Not a suspension so you don't lose salary or service time.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Addison Russell

Postby TMan92 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Regular Show wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

first things first:

I think Theo has told Addison that he can't be with the team while this active investigation/process is happening. I'm not sure what effect being on administrative leave has on a player. He's still getting paid while he is away from the team I believe (not sure).

If he somehow manages to get off administrative leave I don't think he's rejoining the team and Theo will just tell him to stay at home/away for now. He can't seriously expect to rejoin the team after the horrible post revealing what a horsefeathers person he is.

EDIT: Yeah, a player is still being paid while on administrative leave. Not a suspension so you don't lose salary or service time.

While it is a 100% certainty he is a bad person, the problem MLB has with this is that, unlike the other suspensions, there is no law enforcement trail here for what she has said. Again, I am not at all saying it didn’t happen. The union will stick up for him, in my opinion, unless she testifies.

The Cubs have every right to get rid of him but don’t be too surprised if it doesn’t happen until the offseason. Additionally, without her testifying against him, I also wouldn’t be surprised if we get some sort of counseling, and zero tolerance BS coming from this from the Cubs.

You guys are giving baseball way too much credit here and the Cubs have already been saying to let the process work it’s way through. The fact that they took Chapman and had no problem with Murphy, I am not too confident that they will get rid of him for nothing in return. I can’t believe Osuna has a job.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:01 pm

TMan92 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

You guys are giving baseball way too much credit here and the Cubs have already been saying to let the process work it’s way through. The fact that they took Chapman and had no problem with Murphy, I am not too confident that they will get rid of him for nothing in return. I can’t believe Osuna has a job.

Baseball is a business and teams will sign or trade for anybody that they think will help them win. Most fans might make a stink about it at first, but will end up falling in line if the team goes to the playoffs too. Look at all of the Trump supporters who still support him after all of the stuff he has done. He wasn't kidding when he said he could shoot someone on Main Street and not lose his supporters. Look at the rabid NFL fans and the players they sign.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:04 am

Thankfully, with Russell sucking pretty hard this year due in part to recent injuries he's going to have a hard time with any sort of grievance when the Cubs send him home for the playoffs. Our huge glut of position players helps with that -- it's not hard to imagine a scenario where even a guy like Terrance Gore has more potential playoff utility than an injured guy who is little more than a defensive replacement at SS.

I doubt Russell makes his way back to the team this year, but I don't see that mattering much.
0 x

mhuber92211
All-Star

Postby mhuber92211 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:01 am

Couldn't they just option him to the minors if he came back?
0 x
Congrats Chicago

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:07 pm

TMan92 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
first things first:

While it is a 100% certainty he is a bad person, the problem MLB has with this is that, unlike the other suspensions, there is no law enforcement trail here for what she has said. Again, I am not at all saying it didn’t happen. The union will stick up for him, in my opinion, unless she testifies.

The Cubs have every right to get rid of him but don’t be too surprised if it doesn’t happen until the offseason. Additionally, without her testifying against him, I also wouldn’t be surprised if we get some sort of counseling, and zero tolerance BS coming from this from the Cubs.

When you say testify you mean cooperate with investigation, right? Or are you talking about testifying in open court?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:23 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
TMan92 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

When you say testify you mean cooperate with investigation, right? Or are you talking about testifying in open court?

Meant MLB.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Rosenthal with more info: https://theathletic.com/549159/2018/09/ ... isa-reidy/

Relevant bits since it's an Athletic article:

- The blog post alone isn't enough to place Russell on leave
- MLB has spoken with Melissa and 'numerous other witnesses'
- MLB reached out to another woman Russell has a child with but she declined to participate
- Boras/Russell are not going to force an emergency hearing
- Russell rejoining for the postseason seems like a longshot
- Every player previously to go on administrative leave ended up accepting a suspension without appeal, including Osuna
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Rosenthal with more info: https://theathletic.com/549159/2018/09/ ... isa-reidy/

- MLB reached out to another woman Russell has a child with but she declined to participate
- Every player previously to go on administrative leave ended up accepting a suspension without appeal, including Osuna

so the mother of his first child or are there children we forgot about?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:22 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Rosenthal with more info: https://theathletic.com/549159/2018/09/ ... isa-reidy/

his current wife?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm

cl smooth wrote:

I don't think it's his current significant other, here's the language the article uses:

Baseball reached out to another woman with whom Russell has fathered a child, the woman confirmed to The Athletic’s Katie Strang. That woman declined to comment at this time under the advice of her lawyer.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

his current wife?

baby #3? i thought that was his current girlfriend.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

his current wife?

I didn't realize he'd gotten married since all this stuff with Melissa came out.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:26 pm

cl smooth wrote:baby #3? i thought that was his current girlfriend.

tomAto/tomato
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Banedon wrote:I didn't realize he'd gotten married since all this stuff with Melissa came out.

It was announced May 24, and it looks like she was just a girlfriend at the time.

0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Is it weird for me to think it's really really odd that MLB can conduct its own investigation where it collects witness testimony? Or is this permitted because there haven't been any filed allegations with local police, presumably CPD? I find it hard to believe that baseball could have its own investigation with any ongoing criminal investigation.
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:Is it weird for me to think it's really really odd that MLB can conduct its own investigation where it collects witness testimony? Or is this permitted because there haven't been any filed allegations with local police, presumably CPD? I find it hard to believe that baseball could have its own investigation with any ongoing criminal investigation.

It's pretty much par for the course with US sports leagues at this point. It is part of the CBA. The leagues employ former cops/lawyers/security types that run these investigations in an effort to assure the public they are doing their best to make sure their players are good boys.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”