Addison Russell

The Logan
Superstar

Re: Addison Russell

Postby The Logan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
so the mother of his first child or are there children we forgot about?

his current wife?

I didn't realize he'd gotten married since all this stuff with Melissa came out.

I like how he's such a huge piece of horsefeathers but he still has this dumb young southern mentality of "I put a baby in you, time to get married now"
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:57 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Thed Hoyerstein wrote:Is it weird for me to think it's really really odd that MLB can conduct its own investigation where it collects witness testimony? Or is this permitted because there haven't been any filed allegations with local police, presumably CPD? I find it hard to believe that baseball could have its own investigation with any ongoing criminal investigation.

It's pretty much par for the course with US sports leagues at this point. It is part of the CBA. The leagues employ former cops/lawyers/security types that run these investigations in an effort to assure the public they are doing their best to make sure their players are good boys.

Makes sense. I guess the other question is whether MLB collected testimony could be used as the basis for criminal charges to be filed or whether those sources would need to be verified by the authorities. I couldn't imagine being a victim, or a source close to the victim, and having to recall the allegations let alone once but then once again to CPD.
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Rosenthal with more info: https://theathletic.com/549159/2018/09/ ... isa-reidy/

Relevant bits since it's an Athletic article:

- The blog post alone isn't enough to place Russell on leave
- MLB has spoken with Melissa and 'numerous other witnesses'
- MLB reached out to another woman Russell has a child with but she declined to participate
- Boras/Russell are not going to force an emergency hearing
- Russell rejoining for the postseason seems like a longshot
- Every player previously to go on administrative leave ended up accepting a suspension without appeal, including Osuna

seems pretty telling
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:- Russell rejoining for the postseason seems like a longshot

oh no what will we do without him for one game
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:44 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:- Russell rejoining for the postseason seems like a longshot

oh no what will we do without him for one game

we'll lose. we'll actually score more runs w/o him, but we'll still lose.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Why are we even discussing this loser anymore? He's getting traded or non-tendered in the offseason. His time with the Cubs is over.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Russell's administrative leave was extended through the end of the regular season.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Russell's administrative leave was extended through the end of the regular season.

7 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:03 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Russell's administrative leave was extended through the end of the regular season.

this is what david should do with all the players that keep disappearing from his sig
3 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:50 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:27 pm

cl smooth wrote:Russell’s ex-wife speaks to espn:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2482 ... -last-year

The more that comes out about this, I think the better that MLB and the Cubs are looking in how they've handled this from the get go. Well....other than Joe anyway.

But from the sounds of it, they were abiding by her wishes.
0 x

Laura
Superstar

Postby Laura » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Banedon wrote:

The more that comes out about this, I think the better that MLB and the Cubs are looking in how they've handled this from the get go. Well....other than Joe anyway.

People counseling her that speaking out could damage her (and her child’s) financial future rings true. This applies across the board but can be especially perfidious in pro sports, particularly in MLB, IMO, which employs many foreign nationals whose partners are also often not US citizens.

In other words: women in the same situation as Melissa face tremendous barriers in reporting any abuse, including potentially losing rights to stay in the US and potentially having any settlements in terms of child support (or spousal support, if applicable) be non enforceable. Plus they can be blamed by everyone for ruining so-and-so’s career.

I hope everyone involved makes it through this. Even Addison; I’m not a fan anymore and I don’t want him on the Cubs, but it’s best for all involved if he makes a conscious decision to deal with his anger problems. He’s the only one who can.
15 x
I'm only here for the Texas Roadhouse tater skins.

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Laura wrote:
Banedon wrote:

People counseling her that speaking out could damage her (and her child’s) financial future rings true. This applies across the board but can be especially perfidious in pro sports, particularly in MLB, IMO, which employs many foreign nationals whose partners are also often not US citizens.

In other words: women in the same situation as Melissa face tremendous barriers in reporting any abuse, including potentially losing rights to stay in the US and potentially having any settlements in terms of child support (or spousal support, if applicable) be non enforceable. Plus they can be blamed by everyone for ruining so-and-so’s career.

I hope everyone involved makes it through this. Even Addison; I’m not a fan anymore and I don’t want him on the Cubs, but it’s best for all involved if he makes a conscious decision to deal with his anger problems. He’s the only one who can.

Addison did some awful things and deserves the long suspension he is going to be getting. Now that this is happening, I would like to see the kid get his life together.

People that behave like this most likely learned this behavior from an awful upbringing.

While everyone will hate me for saying this, if he is contrite and takes responsibility for himself and goes to someone to help him, I wouldn’t be against him getting a second chance, even in Chicago.

No excuse for past actions, but the guy also deserves to figure this out for the sake of him and his child. Flame away.
2 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Eh, you could tell things were messed up when his Mom admitted that she didn't even watch her kid win a World Series because she was busy at her restaurant job. What in the flying hell was that?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:56 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Eh, you could tell things were messed up when his Mom admitted that she didn't even watch her kid win a World Series because she was busy at her restaurant job. What in the flying hell was that?

We make fun of him getting all these women pregnant but it would make sense for someone that has some deeper issues/demons and a need for that to feel whole.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:59 pm

TMan92 wrote:

While everyone will hate me for saying this, if he is contrite and takes responsibility for himself and goes to someone to help him, I wouldn’t be against him getting a second chance, even in Chicago.

No excuse for past actions, but the guy also deserves to figure this out for the sake of him and his child. Flame away.

Not going to hate you for it but don't hold your breath waiting on an abuser to be contrite and take responsibility.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:28 am

sure, people deserve second chances, and I hope he gets help and rights his life, but part of the reason people do horsefeathers things is because they don’t see them as horsefeathers things. or at least to the degree civilized society does. recidivism rates are really high for reasons.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:30 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:...recidivism rates are really high for reasons.

Because we force people that otherwise may rehabilitate to live with hardened criminals for years on end?
0 x
Spoiler: show

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:42 am

Tim wrote:

Because we force people that otherwise may rehabilitate to live with hardened criminals for years on end?

I would think that the crimes on their record also make it harder to find legitimate employment after they serve that time.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:22 am

Tim wrote:

sure, but I really wasn't planning on listing all of the reasons
0 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:12 pm

0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:20 pm

its 40

0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Chapman's was only 30 and Reyes was 51, for reference.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:29 pm

cut his ass right now.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Is there anything in the CBA that prevents his release during the suspension?
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Return to “Cubs Discussions”