Offseason for the Offense

Tim
Hall of Fame

Offseason for the Offense

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:23 pm

First things first - everyone is under control except for Jay and the backup catchers. Contreras, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Russell, Bryant, Schwarber, Happ, La Stella, Almora and Heyward stand to be back unless someone is moved in a trade.

Catcher: I think they'll probably try to sign Rivera to a short-term deal. If they have a lot of faith in Caratini's defense, they could run with him. But I don't think they have that level of confidence.

Infield: Don't change a thing

Outfield: With Almora as the only OF who hits better against lefties (or much at all), I think they'll try to bring in a right handed OF bat to take Jay's spot. I think they'll shop on Cain, but I don't think they'll want to spend what it takes to land him. I think they'll get involved in the Marlins firesale, but won't give up what it will take to land one of their OF's. Ultimately, I think they just do the bench bat and roll the dice on improved results from Schwarber / Almora / Happ / Heyward / Zobrist / RH Guy.

That's it. I think the vast majority of the time is spent on pitching this offseason. If one or more of the above players gets sent out in a trade for pitching, that could obviously change things. But at this point, it ain't broke and doesn't need fixing.
2 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: Offseason for the Offense

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:29 pm

I agree, this is likely how it plays out. While there will be rumors and options (I already proposed in transaction thread Happ+minor leaguers for Yelich and a contract) I think ultimately the whole offense is coming back. I submit Cameron Maybin for the RHH OF FA. I think the pitching is brought in using money and maybe some minor trades (LaStella, Zagunis, any of the minor league pitchers, etc).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Besides some changes to the outfield, I don't see a whole lot happening on the offensive side.

Part of the reason I made the ill attempt at the Mallee thread, thought it was something to possibly look at.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 pm

0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/921467814027976705

I don't know what this means or who Theo is talking about... Is he talking about Almora and/or Happ? Maybe even one of Schwarber, Baez or Russell? I'm most curious about this comment, but I doubt we'll get clarification on it. Maybe some rumor/info will come out at the winter meetings.
0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:09 am

Regular Show wrote:

I don't know what this means or who Theo is talking about... Is he talking about Almora and/or Happ? Maybe even one of Schwarber, Baez or Russell? I'm most curious about this comment, but I doubt we'll get clarification on it. Maybe some rumor/info will come out at the winter meetings.

I'm guessing that he's willing to trade any of those for the right trade, but I'd be very surprised if they trade Russell or Schwarber.

Otherwise, I do think they re-sign Rivera. I personally think he's a better choice as a back-up catcher then using Caratini. I also think using Caratini as the back-up isn't really maximizing his potential value to the team, and is better off used in a trade.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:19 am

sweetpeteman wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

I'm guessing that he's willing to trade any of those for the right trade, but I'd be very surprised if they trade Russell or Schwarber.

Otherwise, I do think they re-sign Rivera. I personally think he's a better choice as a back-up catcher then using Caratini. I also think using Caratini as the back-up isn't really maximizing his potential value to the team, and is better off used in a trade.

Is that because you think some second division team will like him as a starter and we obviously don't need him for that?
0 x
I like beer.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:53 pm

sweetpeteman wrote:I'm guessing that he's willing to trade any of those for the right trade, but I'd be very surprised if they trade Russell or Schwarber.

those 2 would surprise me the least, especially Schwarber
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:12 pm

I think they'll sign Rivera to a 1 or 2 year deal. I think one of Happ, Schwarber, or Almora is dealt for a starting pitcher. Likelihood being in that order.

I think they'll grab a backup OF that can at least masquerade in center. I wouldn't bet against them bringing Jay back actually.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Fro
All-Star

Postby Fro » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:24 pm

I think we'll see an approach change against these Dodger-like teams (or Mets in 2015) at the very least.

Theo isn't going to leave it at "Well, I hope our guys don't suck at hitting next season in the playoffs and the younger guys improve". The front office will be cranking all offseason on ways to improve our chances.

We've got to get guys on base and make contact when they do get on.
0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:40 pm

mul21 wrote:
sweetpeteman wrote:I'm guessing that he's willing to trade any of those for the right trade, but I'd be very surprised if they trade Russell or Schwarber.

Is that because you think some second division team will like him as a starter and we obviously don't need him for that?

Pretty much. I don't think he'll ever be an All-Star catcher or anything, but I think teams will like is potential as at-least an everyday player, especially as a switch hitter.

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

The only reason I don't expect them to trade Schwarber is because his value has dropped. If other teams still see him as a potentially very good DH, then, yes, I do see him being a trade candidate.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:51 pm

I really think it'll be Happ that's dealt. Honestly, my guess is he was drafted to be trade bait, to begin with. And now, he's increased his value quite a bit. He doesn't have a true long-term spot on the field, Schwarber has lost value, and Almora plays a need position, PROBABLY a bit better than a Happ does, and seems to be showing some decent hitting skills in his own right, including making contact, which is needed in this lineup, and is also a weakness of Happ, as well.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Pushfrog98
All-Star

Postby Pushfrog98 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:03 pm

What would we be willing to part with to get Stanton?
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

Russell has got to be the most untouchable player on this team not named Bryzzo
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Castro's Spray Chart wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

Willy. Not even close.
4 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:10 pm

davell wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:those 2 would surprise me the least, especially Schwarber

Willy. Not even close.

You're right. Let's re-visit after Russell puts up a 6 WAR monster season next year
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Pushfrog98 wrote:What would we be willing to part with to get Stanton?

Hopefully not much.

For a multitude of reasons. You go get him, you're taking yourself out of a realistic shot at Harper. Secondly, he's got so much left on his deal, that he's got negative value. He's great, if he's healthy. But, he rarely is, and I'd expect that to get worse in time, not better.

If you want something I'd say is realistic, it'd be Heyward, Monty, Alzolay, Caratini, and Ademan. With US sending money to offset Heywards even worse contract. Maybe 25 mill or so.
0 x

SeldomSeen
Starter

Postby SeldomSeen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 pm

0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:22 pm

davell wrote:

Willy. Not even close.

You're right. Let's re-visit after Russell puts up a 6 WAR monster season next year

well that ain't happening
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:59 pm

davell wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:those 2 would surprise me the least, especially Schwarber

Willy. Not even close.

Willy and Russell are both in the same group for me below Bryzzo in terms of untouchableness. Neither should really be available unless it’s the perfect deal and not a pitcher. Like if Trout was available they’d be in play and that’s about it.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Color me crazy, but I'm not so sure that I would put Contreras below Rizzo. Bryant is clearly the top guy, but a cost-controlled catcher showing plus offensive production and is solid defensively? That is a difficult asset to find. This isn't a knock on Rizzo, more a plus for Contreras. A better way to put it is that those three are our core guys, and the chances of any of them being dealt is fairly slim. I would put Addison Russell a clear notch below, primarily because the lack of offensive development and consistency just hasn't garnered him that right to be with that top group. I'd probably put him clear of the other guys (that is, a notch ahead of Baez/Happ/Almora/Schwarber) as of now, with the discussion point centered around Baez.

_____

I'm still surprised at the lack of concern shown for the lack of production out of the leadoff spot. Yes, pitching is of a higher concern this offseason, considering we need a mid-rotation starter and a closer to start, and probably an end of the rotation starter and another pen arm. Still, outside of a huge spending spree or huge trades (which might be possible), we might be limited in how much we can do, and increasing the impact of the offense shouldn't be out of consideration. Tbh, I am mildly curious about Jacoby Ellsbury. Yankees seem likely to want to move on, and while the remaining contract is bad, if they chip in some money (say 8 mil per year) and the Cubs didn't part with anything all that interesting ... Ellsbury is still a decent player when healthy, and would slot well at the top of the lineup. To be clear, Ellsbury isn't at the top of the list of guys I'd have interest in, but was a passing thought. Some sort of trade for Ellsbury/Robertson wouldn't be that bad if they chipped in money.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:43 pm

I think an Almora/Happ platoon at the top of the order would give plenty of production in that spot. Or Zobrist if he goes back to more normal levels of production after an offseason of rest for his wrist. I'm not concerned about stolen bases at all given the new runs environment. Just need people to get on base in front of Bryant, Rizzo and Contreras.

If we're adding an OF, I'd much rather sign Lorenzo Cain than trade for Ellsbury.
0 x
Spoiler: show

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:22 am

I put it in one of the pitching threads, about replenishing whatever we trade off.....

So, if we trade one of Addy or Javy, it'd be nice to sign Cozart or even Neil Walker, to keep the depth we've kind of grown accustomed to. I doubt its one of them that we trade, so let's look at the OF.....

Kind of seems like Almora is safer than Schwarber or Happ to me. Maybe I'm wrong though. At any rate, who can be signed, for replacements?

Schwarber gets dealt.....

Would we bring in JD Martinez? That'd be pretty nice, even if he's bad defensively. Granted, hes going to get nine figures, doubt we'd spend THAT big on an OF, with Bryce out there next year. How about CarGo? Is he going to bounce back?

Almora gets dealt.....

I keep looking at Jarrod Dyson and really think I want him on the Cubs. No clue what kind of contract he'd get. Wouldn't need to play every day. But damn, he's a nice player.

Lorenzo Cain is the obvious answer, but I think I'm in favor of Dyson over him, the more I look at things. Gomez? Guess he'd still be nice to have. Still, I think I want Dyson.

Happ gets dealt....

He's the guy without a true spot already, so he'd be the easiest to replace. Dyson would fit in as a 4th OF. You'd still have Seal Boy as a backup MI, behind Zobrist, who's a backup himself.

Maybe a guy like Howie Kendrick? Still has some versatility and a solid bat.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:30 am

davell wrote:I put it in one of the pitching threads, about replenishing whatever we trade off.....

So, if we trade one of Addy or Javy, it'd be nice to sign Cozart or even Neil Walker, to keep the depth we've kind of grown accustomed to. I doubt its one of them that we trade, so let's look at the OF.....

Kind of seems like Almora is safer than Schwarber or Happ to me. Maybe I'm wrong though. At any rate, who can be signed, for replacements?

Schwarber gets dealt.....

Would we bring in JD Martinez? That'd be pretty nice, even if he's bad defensively. Granted, hes going to get nine figures, doubt we'd spend THAT big on an OF, with Bryce out there next year. How about CarGo? Is he going to bounce back?

Almora gets dealt.....

I keep looking at Jarrod Dyson and really think I want him on the Cubs. No clue what kind of contract he'd get. Wouldn't need to play every day. But damn, he's a nice player.

Lorenzo Cain is the obvious answer, but I think I'm in favor of Dyson over him, the more I look at things. Gomez? Guess he'd still be nice to have. Still, I think I want Dyson.

Happ gets dealt....

He's the guy without a true spot already, so he'd be the easiest to replace. Dyson would fit in as a 4th OF. You'd still have Seal Boy as a backup MI, behind Zobrist, who's a backup himself.

Maybe a guy like Howie Kendrick? Still has some versatility and a solid bat.

Good idea. I posted some guys I could see reasoning for given who gets traded in the same thread. Agree on Cozart/Walker if it’s Russell/Javy, nobody else of significance really but would have to find some AAAA guy to to be an emergency SS at the very least in event of injury and no Cozart.

If it’s Schwarber I think Martinez is highly unlikely. My guesses would be Jay, Cargo, Seth Smith or Jose Bautista all have varying degrees of intrigue/warts for me but would fit. My preference would be whichever of Cargo/Smith/Bautista take the fewest years (hopefully 1 at most guaranteed).

If it’s Almora I’d say Jay, Cain, Dyson, Gomez and Maybin again all have things that intrigue and also things to not like but can fit. My preference would be bring Jay back and 1 of Gomez or Maybin for deals hopefully of only 1-2 years guaranteed.

If it’s Happ I’d say any of the guys listed for Almora/Schwarber fit to varying degrees and like you said add Kendrick and even Eduardo Nunez (don’t know how long he’s out for after his injury in the DS). My preference would be whoever is cheaper in years between Nunez and Kendrick and then either bring back Jay or sign Smith or Gomez with one of Kendrick/Nunez.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:32 am

toonsterwu wrote:I'm still surprised at the lack of concern shown for the lack of production out of the leadoff spot.

Because Zobrist isn't dead yet and hopefully is healthier next year.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Cubs Discussions”