Re: Nats to hire Dave Martinez

Postby Derwood » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:56 pm

"Guy we like for some reason gets hired by Nats for some reason"
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:00 pm

This is all just the FO playing the long game and inserting Martinez into DC so he can spend all season telling Harper about how awesome it is in Chicago and being on the Cubs.

Godspeed, good sir.
9 x
► Show Spoiler

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:02 am

Stubby Clapp for BC.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:20 am

Not gonna believe any of these reports until Barney Gumble chimes in.
1 x

DonnieD
Starter

Postby DonnieD » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:07 am

Replaced by David Ross?
0 x
"WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:22 am

Enn Tea wrote:That sucks, I liked him in that role. Hopefully they hire somebody else just as dumb, but I wonder if Dave Martinez gets considered for this one.

:yahoo: :yahoo: \:D/ \:D/ =D> :flythew: :flythew: :clapping:
0 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:29 am

DonnieD wrote:Replaced by David Ross?

My guess is John Farrell
2 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:16 am

Unless he really wants a coaching job for the Cubs I think Ross will stay out of baseball for a little while longer. I'm sure the money is pretty good for what he is doing now and working only a couple of days week (if that). I feel like his "future manager" cred is strong enough where he could probably get a coaching position whenever he wants it.
2 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:15 am

Brian wrote:Unless he really wants a coaching job for the Cubs I think Ross will stay out of baseball for a little while longer. I'm sure the money is pretty good for what he is doing now and working only a couple of days week (if that). I feel like his "future manager" cred is strong enough where he could probably get a coaching position whenever he wants it.

Yeah, I agree with the idea that Ross will continue in his current role for a little while longer and whenever Maddon decides to move on/retire he'll be the perfect candidate to take over. I don't think Ross really needs any "apprenticeship" type role or experience as a coach before taking on a full-time manager role.

I'm happy for D. Martinez and think he'll do a decent job. I am surprised they didn't go with Girardi or Farrell since they're available. I'm wondering if the Nats really are concerned that B. Harper wants to come to Chicago and play for J. Maddon after next season. If that's the case might as well hire a manager similar to J. Maddon and re-create the same atmosphere in that clubhouse.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Brian wrote:Unless he really wants a coaching job for the Cubs I think Ross will stay out of baseball for a little while longer. I'm sure the money is pretty good for what he is doing now and working only a couple of days week (if that). I feel like his "future manager" cred is strong enough where he could probably get a coaching position whenever he wants it.

Yeah, I agree with the idea that Ross will continue in his current role for a little while longer and whenever Maddon decides to move on/retire he'll be the perfect candidate to take over. I don't think Ross really needs any "apprenticeship" type role or experience as a coach before taking on a full-time manager role.

I'm happy for D. Martinez and think he'll do a decent job. I am surprised they didn't go with Girardi or Farrell since they're available. I'm wondering if the Nats really are concerned that B. Harper wants to come to Chicago and play for J. Maddon after next season. If that's the case might as well hire a manager similar to J. Maddon and re-create the same atmosphere in that clubhouse.

Given how Bud Black to the Nationals fell apart and how most in baseball didn't like the way they parted with Dusty, it seems like veteran managers with some negotiation leverage weren't interested in the job.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Never expected Girardi - all accounts was that he wanted to go home. I think Girardi is going home with his family, and the only way I think Girardi manages is after his kids are off.

Dave Martinez actually makes sense. It feels like he wasn't getting the looks anymore, so he may be willing to take a managerial job at slightly lesser pay. For the Nationals, they supposedly wanted a younger guy more well-versed in analytics, someone that can grow with their young core.

As for Bryce Harper, is the Cubs thing from the whole Peter Gammons thing this summer? I think, at the end of the day, if the Yankees decide they are fine without handing out huge contracts, the Nationals, and their immensely close ties with Boras, are probably in the driver's seat, provided that Harper feels like he's going to be in a good situation. On paper, the Nationals are loaded for continued strength for the next half-decade or so, but Harper's feelings on things may depend on how they do next year and if they can advance in the playoffs.

Tbh, the potential impending FA I'm mildly curious about, but do not actually expect it, is actually Manny Machado. He looks all but certain to hit FA, and the Orioles look to be backsliding (I guess you never know ... no one really expected Buck Showalter to put together such a solid string of years with a mediocre talent base). I imagine the market is going to get pretty crazy for him, and he'll probably value a team offering him a chance to win and perhaps play shortstop.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 pm

toonsterwu wrote:Never expected Girardi - all accounts was that he wanted to go home. I think Girardi is going home with his family, and the only way I think Girardi manages is after his kids are off.

Dave Martinez actually makes sense. It feels like he wasn't getting the looks anymore, so he may be willing to take a managerial job at slightly lesser pay. For the Nationals, they supposedly wanted a younger guy more well-versed in analytics, someone that can grow with their young core.

As for Bryce Harper, is the Cubs thing from the whole Peter Gammons thing this summer? I think, at the end of the day, if the Yankees decide they are fine without handing out huge contracts, the Nationals, and their immensely close ties with Boras, are probably in the driver's seat, provided that Harper feels like he's going to be in a good situation. On paper, the Nationals are loaded for continued strength for the next half-decade or so, but Harper's feelings on things may depend on how they do next year and if they can advance in the playoffs.

Tbh, the potential impending FA I'm mildly curious about, but do not actually expect it, is actually Manny Machado. He looks all but certain to hit FA, and the Orioles look to be backsliding (I guess you never know ... no one really expected Buck Showalter to put together such a solid string of years with a mediocre talent base). I imagine the market is going to get pretty crazy for him, and he'll probably value a team offering him a chance to win and perhaps play shortstop.

The Harper to Cubs thing is coming from hints that Harper himself keeps dropping. He named his dog Wrigley, he's been hinting how much he'd love to play with his boyhood friend Bryant, etc.
0 x
Spoiler: show

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Looks like Dave Martinez is a set thing. Eddie Matz has it up on ESPN.com. 3 year deal with a 4th year option. Looks like Nats finally ponied up a bit. Also forgot that Dave Martinez was runner-up to Matt Williams several years ago.

_______

I'm not saying Bryce Harper to the Cubs won't happen. I just think a lot depends moreso on how the Nats do in the following year than anything the Cubs do. Yeah, he could love Wrigley Field (he also has a dog named ... uh swag?), but he also leaves messing around with people (I recall reading any interview this summer in one of the DC papers or sports sites where Bryce basically said he likes to mess around with people online). He could dream of playing with KB, but financial dynamics are always a factor. There simply aren't that many owners anymore that Boras has a strong tie-in with, and the Cubs would have a ton of juggling to make it work (and tbh, I question this idea that, unless Ricketts decided to really open the bank, that TheoJed would have highinterest in throwing out a mega-deal of that sort, with impending deals for our own guys coming up). Bryce has talked a lot about how he loves the idea of playing with one team, and how he loves the DC area. Could be all talk, because at the end of the day, Bryce is really the modern star in the way he uses social media to try and manipulate things.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:02 pm

I thought he was going to get the Yankees job.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:03 pm

toonsterwu wrote:Looks like Dave Martinez is a set thing. Eddie Matz has it up on ESPN.com. 3 year deal with a 4th year option. Looks like Nats finally ponied up a bit. Also forgot that Dave Martinez was runner-up to Matt Williams several years ago.

_______

I'm not saying Bryce Harper to the Cubs won't happen. I just think a lot depends moreso on how the Nats do in the following year than anything the Cubs do. Yeah, he could love Wrigley Field (he also has a dog named ... uh swag?), but he also leaves messing around with people (I recall reading any interview this summer in one of the DC papers or sports sites where Bryce basically said he likes to mess around with people online). He could dream of playing with KB, but financial dynamics are always a factor. There simply aren't that many owners anymore that Boras has a strong tie-in with, and the Cubs would have a ton of juggling to make it work (and tbh, I question this idea that, unless Ricketts decided to really open the bank, that TheoJed would have highinterest in throwing out a mega-deal of that sort, with impending deals for our own guys coming up). Bryce has talked a lot about how he loves the idea of playing with one team, and how he loves the DC area. Could be all talk, because at the end of the day, Bryce is really the modern star in the way he uses social media to try and manipulate things.

For a 26 YO Bryce Harper? Nope
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I thought he was going to get the Yankees job.

Yankees look to be going internal. Tbh, Derek Jeter raiding the Yankees probably has them a bit wobbly right now, sorting out FO issues and managerial issues.

Color me not convinced that TheoJed are going to really go all-out for Bryce. If Bryce falls into a more lower range, maybe. But it seems fairly certain the Nationals will pony something close to 10/400. With Heyward and extensions coming up, yes, even with a 26 year old Bryce ... there would be some juggling for the Cubs to do. Keep in mind, there's rumors that Bryce and Boras might be pushing for more than 10 years, and when you factor in that it's likely to be the "standard" contract structure, that is something that's probably a bit backloaded, and I don't see it as incredulous to say that there would be some juggling to do.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:13 pm

toonsterwu wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:I thought he was going to get the Yankees job.

Yankees look to be going internal. Tbh, Derek Jeter raiding the Yankees probably has them a bit wobbly right now, sorting out FO issues and managerial issues.

Color me not convinced that TheoJed are going to really go all-out for Bryce. If Bryce falls into a more lower range, maybe. But it seems fairly certain the Nationals will pony something close to 10/400. With Heyward and extensions coming up, yes, even with a 26 year old Bryce ... there would be some juggling for the Cubs to do. Keep in mind, there's rumors that Bryce and Boras might be pushing for more than 10 years, and when you factor in that it's likely to be the "standard" contract structure, that is something that's probably a bit backloaded, and I don't see it as incredulous to say that there would be some juggling to do.

I’m not convinced they will land Harper, just disagree that having to juggle too much talent will be a reason why. Not everyone is getting an extension, I’d even go as far as most. The guys to lock up are Bryant the franchise player, Contreras the late riser star catcher, and Hendricks the steady and healthy homegrown first division SP.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Wouldn't it be funny if after all these years under Maddon, Martinez finally ends up a manager and goes full old school no fun hard ass.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:37 pm

Yeesh:

0 x

Neuby
All-Star

Postby Neuby » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:24 pm

David Ross
Brandon Hyde
John Farrell

Have I missed any names linked to the Job?

My unrealistic wish list

Joe Girardi
Greg Maddux
Sandy Alomar JR
Omar Vizquel
Tony Pena
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:08 am

Neuby wrote:My unrealistic wish list

Joe Girardi
Greg Maddux
Sandy Alomar JR
Omar Vizquel
Tony Pena

Come again?
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:53 am

Manny?
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 am

I can't even imagine having a wish list for a bench coach, let alone like a dream "unrealistic" one lmao
6 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 am

David wrote:I can't even imagine having a wish list for a bench coach, let alone like a dream "unrealistic" one lmao

This is #1 on my dream candidate list

3 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Cubs Discussions”