Nats to hire Dave Martinez

biittner77
Superstar

Re: Nats to hire Dave Martinez

Postby biittner77 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:19 am

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
biittner77 wrote:I don't get the "Theo will leave in a few years" stuff. Why would he do that? He left Boston to prove that what he accomplished in Boston wasn't a fluke or because of winning with the guys that were already there or whatever. He won a world series with the horsefeathering Chicago Cubs. What other mountains are their left for him to climb in baseball? He's a rock star in Chicago- much more so than he ever was in Boston. Why would he walk away from that?

People with the drive to do what Theo has done generally don't get into a "there's nothing more for me to accomplish why don't I just keep doing what I'm doing" state of mind.

He also explicitly stated in his first press conference that after 10 years a change is good, hence the reason there's a huge correlation between the core's FA timeline and his second 5 year contract. Assuming Theo leaves at that point, best case scenario would be Jed moving into his role and perhaps McLeod as GM (if he hasn't already taken a GM role elsewhere).

Ok, but people change and their priorities change. For those of you that have kids, consider how much that has changed your priorities.

That being said, I completely discounted the idea that an ungrateful fan base might demand he be fired if the Cubs don't win another title in the next 5 years.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Re: Nats to hire Dave Martinez

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 am

David wrote:
Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:People with the drive to do what Theo has done generally don't get into a "there's nothing more for me to accomplish why don't I just keep doing what I'm doing" state of mind.

He also explicitly stated in his first press conference that after 10 years a change is good, hence the reason there's a huge correlation between the core's FA timeline and his second 5 year contract. Assuming Theo leaves at that point, best case scenario would be Jed moving into his role and perhaps McLeod as GM (if he hasn't already taken a GM role elsewhere).

theo said a lot of things at that press conference and he's very good with words and with explaining things, but that whole 10 years thing is overblown. he was miserable in boston and came up with an old quote from Bill Walsh to explain at his introductory press conference why he left a sinking ship that was going down in flames. (he also said "Every season is sacred" and talked about dual fronts, trying to win and trying to build at the same time at that press conference)

by all accounts, he is not miserable here, and I can't see him leaving for at least as long as this team is winning divisions and giving him chances to add more jewelry to his collection. if it wasn't for his miserable relationship with ownership and lucchino (or, in other words, if he had a relationship there like the one he has with ownership here) i doubt he would've ever left.

yet leaving after 2021 gives him the time to run the DNC for pending 2024 election against Trump Jr.
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Return to “Cubs Discussions”