This is the thread where we talk about how awesome Kris Bryant is

doublebubble
Starter

Re: This is the thread where we talk about how awesome Kris Bryant is

Postby doublebubble » Sat May 27, 2017 10:37 am

Met Mike Bryant today. Great guy. Talked for about an hour and told him about this message board. He may pop up here.
0 x
#beliEVEN
#belieVIN
#believeland

Fly the :flythew:

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat May 27, 2017 1:02 pm

oh god now we gotta stop cussing again
6 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat May 27, 2017 1:43 pm

I want to know if they have watched Office Space.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 am

It's August and somehow this pants pooping magoob only has 20 dongs.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:It's August and somehow this pants pooping magoob only has 20 dongs.

Nobody is getting on base in front of him, pitchers can attack him more with pitchers, pitches and not have to give in as much when sexy dexy and the like were OBP monsters in front of him last year.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 am

Sure, why not.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:31 am

I mean man I love the guy and he's still having a great season but why is it so sacrilegious to acknowledge the fact that his numbers say he has performed extremely poorly this season with RISP. You guys can say bad babip and small sample stuff but he's hit 5 HR all year with runners on base. I think it's fine to admit that that is not characteristic of Kris Bryant and it is disappointing. The general theory is that players' numbers should play across all situations but his 780 OPS is not what we all expect from KB. I'm going baseless meatball here but his swing looks a lot more 2015 than 2016 and he cannot catch up to the inside fastball with the regularity he did last season. He's fouling off a ton of pitches he was crushing last year. There's a significant drop in his LD (6%) and hard contact (9%) rates and he is not catching the barrel often. His pull% is also slightly down and his center% is slightly up. A lot of those 380 foot flies from last year are dying in CF gloves.

Not sure how to look it up but I'm curious about his batted ball distance compared to last year.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:35 am

I don't know why you keep looking crosseyed at it; the guy is just generally hitting for less power.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:36 am

Again?
1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I mean man I love the guy and he's still having a great season but why is it so sacrilegious to acknowledge the fact that his numbers say he has performed extremely poorly this season with RISP. You guys can say bad babip and small sample stuff but he's hit 5 HR all year with runners on base. I think it's fine to admit that that is not characteristic of Kris Bryant and it is disappointing. The general theory is that players' numbers should play across all situations but his 780 OPS is not what we all expect from KB. I'm going baseless meatball here but his swing looks a lot more 2015 than 2016 and he cannot catch up to the inside fastball with the regularity he did last season. He's fouling off a ton of pitches he was crushing last year. There's a significant drop in his LD (6%) and hard contact (9%) rates and he is not catching the barrel often. His pull% is also slightly down and his center% is slightly up. A lot of those 380 foot flies from last year are dying in CF gloves.

Not sure how to look it up but I'm curious about his batted ball distance compared to last year.

You've got to quit inferring so much from stuff like LD%. It's crazy unstable. It does do a really good job of explaining why things have happened. But it's hard to use contact quality stats to tell us much going forward. Remember when Miguel Sano and Aaron Judge were BABIP'ing over .400 and making no weak contact and you were going gaga over them and proclaiming that Judge was going to BABIP over .400 all year?
1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:58 am

Freddie Freeman's LD% is down 5% this year. His hard-hit% is down 8%. He's hitting .316/.416/.644.

And, I'm not saying these aren't problems for Bryant. I definitely think they have been. Way too many grounders. Isn't hitting the ball as hard. But, he could just be having a down year. It doesn't have to be a swing change problem. And it doesn't have to be some mental issue in high leverage situations. Or some part of his game pitchers can exploit. It could just be a down year.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: This is the thread where we talk about how awesome Kris Bryant is

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:31 am

Duke Silver wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I mean man I love the guy and he's still having a great season but why is it so sacrilegious to acknowledge the fact that his numbers say he has performed extremely poorly this season with RISP. You guys can say bad babip and small sample stuff but he's hit 5 HR all year with runners on base. I think it's fine to admit that that is not characteristic of Kris Bryant and it is disappointing. The general theory is that players' numbers should play across all situations but his 780 OPS is not what we all expect from KB. I'm going baseless meatball here but his swing looks a lot more 2015 than 2016 and he cannot catch up to the inside fastball with the regularity he did last season. He's fouling off a ton of pitches he was crushing last year. There's a significant drop in his LD (6%) and hard contact (9%) rates and he is not catching the barrel often. His pull% is also slightly down and his center% is slightly up. A lot of those 380 foot flies from last year are dying in CF gloves.

You've got to quit inferring so much from stuff like LD%. It's crazy unstable. It does do a really good job of explaining why things have happened. But it's hard to use contact quality stats to tell us much going forward. Remember when Miguel Sano and Aaron Judge were BABIP'ing over .400 and making no weak contact and you were going gaga over them and proclaiming that Judge was going to BABIP over .400 all year?

That could still happen, but that's aside the point. The point is taken. What I will say is that when I comment on KB I'm not trying to project anything toward what's gonna happen moving forward; just simply what has been, what I've seen and what possibly comes out in the numbers. The league is really good at figuring players out and it is impossible for me to begin to say how hard it is to counter those adjustments. Judge has had a reversal of fortune for sure. I stopped looking at those stats for Sano and Judge a while back but for that moment in time, they were pretty outrageous.

Duke Silver wrote:Freddie Freeman's LD% is down 5% this year. His hard-hit% is down 8%. He's hitting .316/.416/.644.

And, I'm not saying these aren't problems for Bryant. I definitely think they have been. Way too many grounders. Isn't hitting the ball as hard. But, he could just be having a down year. It doesn't have to be a swing change problem. And it doesn't have to be some mental issue in high leverage situations. Or some part of his game pitchers can exploit. It could just be a down year.

I know it's not a mental thing; the guy recorded the most high pressure putout in baseball history. I'll reiterate, for everybody, that I've never said he's incapable of being clutch. In fact just now is the first time I've used that word.

But I relent - my expectations are just so high with him. Perhaps a little out of whack. He's still had a great season and is really one supernova week from being right on track with last year. Now would be a great time for him to go into god mode.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:49 am

even when there's something to actually complain about you get it wrong and complain about something stupid instead
5 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: This is the thread where we talk about how awesome Kris Bryant is

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:46 am

Or was I just responding to this attempted cover-up that was in response to Sofa who initiated the "complaining"
Sammy Sofa wrote:It's August and somehow this pants pooping magoob only has 20 dongs.

Cubswin11 wrote:

Nobody is getting on base in front of him, pitchers can attack him more with pitchers, pitches and not have to give in as much when sexy dexy and the like were OBP monsters in front of him last year.

And for the most part Duke agreed with me; just not with my theory for why those rates are down
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 am

everybody but you agrees that bemoaning clutch is stupid and pointless
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:18 am

17 Seconds wrote:even when there's something to actually complain about you get it wrong and complain about something stupid instead

we got the whole 9 vs duke silver

yeah, the point spread on that one is astronomical
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 am

i mean duke could probably tell me i don't love my mother enough

i'd come back and say, "no, i do"

then he'd say "well, if you look at your [insert some sympathy stats] along with your phone call FIP of x..."

to which i'd reply, "yeah, i guess so. i stand corrected" and immediately call my mom and tell her i'm sorry and love her.
3 x

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 am

I dont know about the RISP stuff, but the lack of power lately is directly tied to his pinky. While players are making adjustments in the offseason, our FO needs to as well and re-think how they utilize the damn 10 day DL for hand and wrists.
1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm

weis21 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:even when there's something to actually complain about you get it wrong and complain about something stupid instead

we got the whole 9 vs duke silver

yeah, the point spread on that one is astronomical

To be fair, as We Got the Whole 9 said, I do agree with him that those things are products of him struggling. I just don't agree that "He isn't hitting line drives, ipso facto, something is wrong with his swing or approach." I would contend that those things really don't tell us anything, other than that they've resulted in a bad year for Bryant.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm loving this brave new world where a 25 YO Cubs player with a .900 OPS is undeniably having a down year.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Gilby wrote:I dont know about the RISP stuff, but the lack of power lately is directly tied to his pinky.

That's something interesting to consider. I guess I'd buy it more if KB was hitting a bunch of dongs and then wasn't after the injury.

But from May 22 to the injury on July 19, he had hit nine dongs during that span. Nine dongs in two months is less than I'd have expected from him. I feel like he had a problem with his dong before the problem with his pinky.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 am

Not surprising but we got confirmation his pinky is bothering him:

0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 pm

i guess KB isn't perfect

edit -

his tweet/mention might just have worked

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:10 am

in a year when every horsefeathers person on the planet hit 30 home runs how did he not get a power spike
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:13 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:in a year when every horsefeathers person on the planet hit 30 home runs how did he not get a power spike

he did, it just made up for what he lost in committing to going oppo again last offseason
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”