Reminder: Cubs are on 30 Clubs in 30 Days tonight (3/5) on MLB Network

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Reminder: Cubs are on 30 Clubs in 30 Days tonight (3/5) on MLB Network

Postby David » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Reminder: Cubs are on 30 Clubs in 30 Days tonight (3/5) on MLB Network

Postby David » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:28 am

i'm enjoying this way too much
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Awful awful episode. I don't think most Cub fans want to hear discussions about the head shaving fundraiser or how everyone will handle increased expectations. What do you expect Rizzo or Bryant to say in response to all eyes being on them this season? You're just going to get generic responses.

Also I think O'Dowd was off about the bullpen being a weakness. Rondon may not have Chapman caliber electric stuff, but he has quietly become one of baseball's best Closer's the past two seasons. And if Rondon gets hurt or underachieves Strop, Grimm or Cahill would have the potential to at least be tolerable replacements.

CJ Edwards may become a late inning possibility down the road too because of his ability to severely limit home runs allowed. That's obviously an incredibly valuable trait come the Summer (when the wind tends to blow out at Wrigley).
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:32 pm

If this team has a potential weak spot, I'd agree that the pen is most vulnerable. Of course, that's only because I think the rest of the team is going to be really, really good.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Stu
Starter

Postby Stu » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Tim wrote:If this team has a potential weak spot, I'd agree that the pen is most vulnerable. Of course, that's only because I think the rest of the team is going to be really, really good.

But if they perform to their abilities -- Grimm, Ramirez, Strop all throwing nasty stuff and Rondon performing to his baseball card numbers -- wouldn't that potentially be an elite, or at least top 10 BP?
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:18 pm

I mean, outside of a few teams, isn't the bullpen a potential weakness for every team? You never know. I like the Cubs chances of having a solid to good pen given their options.
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Stu wrote:
Tim wrote:If this team has a potential weak spot, I'd agree that the pen is most vulnerable. Of course, that's only because I think the rest of the team is going to be really, really good.

But if they perform to their abilities -- Grimm, Ramirez, Strop all throwing nasty stuff and Rondon performing to his baseball card numbers -- wouldn't that potentially be an elite, or at least top 10 BP?

It was 8th last season. It only seems like a weakness because the rest of the team is so insane.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:53 pm

StylesClash wrote:Awful awful episode. I don't think most Cub fans want to hear discussions about the head shaving fundraiser or how everyone will handle increased expectations. What do you expect Rizzo or Bryant to say in response to all eyes being on them this season? You're just going to get generic responses.

What exactly were you expecting?

These things are just fun fluff pieces.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:53 pm

http://m.mlb.com/video/search?query=cubs

You can watch most/all of the clips from the show here.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:57 pm

David wrote:
StylesClash wrote:Awful awful episode. I don't think most Cub fans want to hear discussions about the head shaving fundraiser or how everyone will handle increased expectations. What do you expect Rizzo or Bryant to say in response to all eyes being on them this season? You're just going to get generic responses.

Not enough Cardinals clips
4 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:18 pm

I'm less optimistic about the bullpen than most, still want a power armed lefty, but there's plenty of trade bait and good relievers on bad teams (McGee, Logan on the Rockies, Smith on the Brewers come to mind).
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:44 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I'm less optimistic about the bullpen than most, still want a power armed lefty

Hey, I want a rocket car, but I'm not likely to get one.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:49 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I'm less optimistic about the bullpen than most, still want a power armed lefty, but there's plenty of trade bait and good relievers on bad teams (McGee, Logan on the Rockies, Smith on the Brewers come to mind).

Food for thought:

Code: Select all

Player    FIP    K%-BB%   HR/FB   BAA    FB Vel

McGee    2.33    27.2%    7.3%   .196     94.4
Smith    2.47    25.4%    8.9%   .218     93.3
Logan    3.62    16.1%    8.1%   .274     92.6
Wood     2.53    18.7%    3.7%   .207     ~91
1 x

Cubs Fan Dan
Starter

Postby Cubs Fan Dan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:21 am

I'm cautiously optimistic that Brothers makes the team and returns to his form a couple of years ago. If that happens I don't see how this bullpen is not one of the best in baseball again.
0 x

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:20 pm

David wrote:

Why does it have to be a fluff piece. If I were one of those two MLB reporters I would have asked Joe Maddon questions about topics that will actually effect the team in 2016. I guarantee you that would lead to a more interesting product for the viewer at home. A few questions off the top of my head:

-Wilson Contreras has been dubbed by some as the Catcher of the future. After watching him in person and on tape does he remind you of any Catcher in particular?

-You coached John Lackey with the Angels and saw him pitch extensively last season as well. Talk about how his repertoire has changed over the years and what allowed him to be so effective as a 37 year old.

-Talk about the changes in Kris Bryant's swing and how you believe it could potentially effect his performance this season.

My interview with just those three questions alone would have been better.

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:

Phuck off, you lame troll. ;)
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:53 pm

StylesClash wrote:
David wrote:

Why does it have to be a fluff piece. If I were one of those two MLB reporters I would have asked Joe Maddon questions about topics that will actually effect the team in 2016. I guarantee you that would lead to a more interesting product for the viewer at home. A few questions off the top of my head:

-Wilson Contreras has been dubbed by some as the Catcher of the future. After watching him in person and on tape does he remind you of any Catcher in particular?

-You coached John Lackey with the Angels and saw him pitch extensively last season as well. Talk about how his repertoire has changed over the years and what allowed him to be so effective as a 37 year old.

-Talk about the changes in Kris Bryant's swing and how you believe it could potentially effect his performance this season.

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:

Your preferred questions are dumb.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:22 pm

I would have preferred a harsh Senate committee investigation, with McCain in full crazy mode up there banging his shoe on the podium and waving around sheets of paper and screaming "ARE YOU NOW OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A MEMBER OF THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS?!?!" at the team.
2 x
► Show Spoiler

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:19 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
StylesClash wrote:
David wrote:

Derwood wrote:

Your preferred questions are dumb.

They would also result in cliché answers that wouldn't be any more interesting than the other fluff they did cover.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:I'm less optimistic about the bullpen than most, still want a power armed lefty, but there's plenty of trade bait and good relievers on bad teams (McGee, Logan on the Rockies, Smith on the Brewers come to mind).

Food for thought:

Possible I underrate Wood, he's got some similarities to a JP Howell-esque reliever and that's good, but looks to me like he's a good bet to give up more HRs this year.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Food for thought:

Possible I underrate Wood, he's got some similarities to a JP Howell-esque reliever and that's good, but looks to me like he's a good bet to give up more HRs this year.

That's a possibility, but I think the alternate causation is more likely. Wood doesn't have a big 4 seamer so he doesn't get thought of as an end of game option(also because he's only been a reliever for < 1 season), but this is partially by design. While he's not going to hit 98, he's also less likely to give up HR because everything he throws darts around, and he's more effective than as a starter because the velocity does tick up in short stints.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:49 pm

StylesClash wrote:[Phuck off, you lame troll. ;)

0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 am

Derwood wrote:
StylesClash wrote:[Phuck off, you lame troll. ;)

Bampersand?
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”