The New Daily Double...?

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

The New Daily Double...?

Postby CubsWin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:23 pm

This can't be happening.

The Cubs search for a lead off man since the departure of Dexter has been well documented. Heyward, Schwarber, Zobrist, heck even Rizzo has been tried. But now, the two guys whose ability to get on base has been widely criticized throughout much of their professional career, Almora and Baez, have formed the best 1-2 punch to start the game in a long time. It's only been 8 games so things will likely revert to the norm, but both players are still young and learning their craft. In those 8 games, the Cubs are 6-2 while Almora and Baez have scored 8 runs each. Might they become the new (and highly improbable) daily double?

Dernier and Sandberg, Lofton and Grudzielanek... Almora and Baez??
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

PackLandVA
All-Star

Re: The New Daily Double...?

Postby PackLandVA » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 pm

I referenced this in today's game thread. Note the CF/2B connections, too.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:47 pm

By midseason it'll be Schwarber,Bryant, Rizzo and/or Contreras, Rizzo, Bryant
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:38 pm

Might need to bench Russell and let him iron out his kinks. I'd like Zo to lead off vs RHP. I'd also swap Tony and Kyle, but I know that won't happen. I'd roll with

Zo
KB
Kyle
Javy
Rizzo
Willy
Heyward
Al
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:38 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Might need to bench Russell and let him iron out his kinks. I'd like Zo to lead off vs RHP. I'd also swap Tony and Kyle, but I know that won't happen. I'd roll with

Zo
KB
Kyle
Javy
Rizzo
Willy
Heyward
Al

Why would you change what's clearly working?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Zobrist and Baez trying out for the leadoff spot:
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: The New Daily Double...?

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Banedon wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Might need to bench Russell and let him iron out his kinks. I'd like Zo to lead off vs RHP. I'd also swap Tony and Kyle, but I know that won't happen. I'd roll with

Zo
KB
Kyle
Javy
Rizzo
Willy
Heyward
Al

Because Almora still sucks against RHP and Zobrist is twice the hitter he is. Rizzo is ass right now. And Javy should get more RBI opportunities.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: RE: Re: The New Daily Double...?

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:04 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Zo
KB
Kyle
Javy
Rizzo
Willy
Heyward
Al

Because Almora still sucks against RHP and Zobrist is twice the hitter he is. Rizzo is ass right now. And Javy should get more RBI opportunities.

Why would you move Rizzo down when you know he’s going to turn the corner and hit like the best hitter in the league in a week or so? He does this slump thing like 3 times a year and turns it around each time.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The New Daily Double...?

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Why would you move Rizzo down when you know he’s going to turn the corner and hit like the best hitter in the league in a week or so? He does this slump thing like 3 times a year and turns it around each time.

Because Kyle is mashing, simple as that. Put his high OBP at the top.
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat May 12, 2018 12:22 pm

This thread grates on me way more than it should, which is probably not at all.

Dernier was just decent for only a year and Kenny Lofton was a Cub for only a couple months. These leadoff combos were not deserving of nicknames. Like at all.

Why is this making me so angry?

In summary, the nickname "daily double" is dumb, but if it is used, it should be used only for leadoff combos that are together for at least three years, and are actually really good for those three years.

Otherwise it's meaningless and who cares. And I don't know why I'm posting this because Almora and Baez are already not a thing, which I guess puts them not to far off from the Lofton and Grudzielanek and Dernier Sandberg tandems, which were barely things (I'm not saying Sandberg want a thing, I'm just saying his thingness has nothing to do with batting second behind stupid Bob Dernier).
9 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat May 12, 2018 6:30 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:This thread grates on me way more than it should, which is probably not at all.

Dernier was just decent for only a year and Kenny Lofton was a Cub for only a couple months. These leadoff combos were not deserving of nicknames. Like at all.

In summary, the nickname "daily double" is dumb, but if it is used, it should be used only for leadoff combos that are together for at least three years, and are actually really good for those three years.

Otherwise it's meaningless and who cares. And I don't know why I'm posting this because Almora and Baez are already not a thing, which I guess puts them not to far off from the Lofton and Grudzielanek and Dernier Sandberg tandems, which were barely things (I'm not saying Sandberg want a thing, I'm just saying his thingness has nothing to do with batting second behind stupid Bob Dernier).

yeah... fowler + KB >>>>>> all those
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Sat May 12, 2018 6:59 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:This thread grates on me way more than it should, which is probably not at all.

This is a quality rant
5 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat May 12, 2018 7:32 pm

javy knows my name wrote:

This is a quality rant

Best baseball one I've seen here...Baez and Almora 1-2 in this lineup...Ha!
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sat May 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Dernier/Sandberg was definitely a thing because it was a thing when the cubs made the playoffs for the first time in 49 years completely out of the blue. Don't you dare sass my childhood memories!
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”