Cubs TV broadcast rights

Andy
Hall of Fame

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:33 pm

I don't know where to put this, but apparently Mark Grace is going to be suspended from Marquee for this week for his rambling ex-wife rant on Saturday, which is about a thousand weeks too few to be rid of his drunk ass.
6 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Andy wrote:I don't know where to put this, but apparently Mark Grace is going to be suspended from Marquee for this week for his rambling ex-wife rant on Saturday, which is about a thousand weeks too few to be rid of his drunk ass.

Yeah this three-man booth is really not working.
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:25 pm

dump the 3rd person and get Len & JD back in polos
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Wait. I haven't actually watched a Marquee broadcast this year. Grace doing something with someone and being horrible is one thing...but he's ruining Len and JD?! This cannot be true.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:31 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Wait. I haven't actually watched a Marquee broadcast this year. Grace doing something with someone and being horrible is one thing...but he's ruining Len and JD?! This cannot be true.

About 4-5 times this year they’ve had a three-man booth with Len and JD calling the game from Wrigley and Mark Grace adding his “analysis” from his house in Arizona. It’s awful.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:36 pm

yeah grace is terrible

dempster was surprisingly tolerable but i still think they should scrap it
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Yeah he destroys their chemistry and that story was a horsefeathers, misogynistic cringefest
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:19 pm

There’s no doubt that Grace is swigging some hooch between innings.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:45 pm

I enjoyed Grace in the booth during Spring Training. Part of it was that he was there in person, but a bigger part was that Spring Training baseball lends itself more to guys just telling random stories with the game itself being largely irrelevant.

He is just too much of a distraction for regular season games when the product on the field matters. It kills the flow of the broadcast. There is a time and place for "some" of his stories, but he is inserting them at the wrong time and the wrong place. There is a physical disconnect with him participating remotely, but even more significant is the emotional disconnect he has from everything around the current Cubs team. It feels like random sportscaster X telling stories that have nothing to do with the game.

Sure, it would probably work a little better if he could be there in person, but not enough to actually make the broadcast better. Grace was my favorite Cubs player and I was excited to hear that he was being brought back into the organization, but it is time to rethink that role and try to find somewhere else to fit him in.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:I enjoyed Grace in the booth during Spring Training. Part of it was that he was there in person, but a bigger part was that Spring Training baseball lends itself more to guys just telling random stories with the game itself being largely irrelevant.

He is just too much of a distraction for regular season games when the product on the field matters. It kills the flow of the broadcast. There is a time and place for "some" of his stories, but he is inserting them at the wrong time and the wrong place. There is a physical disconnect with him participating remotely, but even more significant is the emotional disconnect he has from everything around the current Cubs team. It feels like random sportscaster X telling stories that have nothing to do with the game.

Sure, it would probably work a little better if he could be there in person, but not enough to actually make the broadcast better. Grace was my favorite Cubs player and I was excited to hear that he was being brought back into the organization, but it is time to rethink that role and try to find somewhere else to fit him in.

Len asked he or Dempster some dumb question you can kind of tell he doesn’t really want to ask in the first place.
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:14 am

I can’t understand why it matters what Len and JD wear.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:38 pm

PackLandVA wrote:I can’t understand why it matters what Len and JD wear.

It's typical 'rich jackasses not remotely knowing what people who only make five figures care about' syndrome. (I'm assuming Sinclair people as the rich jackasses here since the Ricketts never seemed to care what Len and JD wore before, but who knows.) They watched a couple of Fox games and saw Joe Buck wearing a suit, so they figured if Len and JD wear suits everyone will think they see Marquee as a super important endeavor rather than an easy cash infusion.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:47 pm

Also neckties are dumb.
1 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:11 am

Andy wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:I can’t understand why it matters what Len and JD wear.

It's typical 'rich jackasses not remotely knowing what people who only make five figures care about' syndrome. (I'm assuming Sinclair people as the rich jackasses here since the Ricketts never seemed to care what Len and JD wore before, but who knows.) They watched a couple of Fox games and saw Joe Buck wearing a suit, so they figured if Len and JD wear suits everyone will think they see Marquee as a super important endeavor rather than an easy cash infusion.

So again, why do they bolded persons mentioned above care about what the announcers on TV are wearing. We're watching a baseball game, not a fashion show. And if it's not a fashion show, why do the station/broadcast owners care then what they wear, you ask? Well, I don't care about what the station/broadcast owners think about fashion. I just want good baseball (check), with good announcers (check) and at least decent production (check).

Feel free to get upset about the top half of their wardrobe that's shown over the course of three hours for, what, about 2-3 minutes? Okay. I'm more annoyed that the players don't all wear the same color-schemed mask.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:00 am

I don’t care what broadcasters wear. I mildly care that people in charge of Cubs broadcasts force broadcasters to wear something specific, because it demonstrates they don’t understand what makes a worthwhile broadcast, and may do other things I do care about. Like forcing a 3 man booth so Mark Grace has the opportunity to rant about his ex-wife.
5 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:06 am

Did it also bother you mildly when they may or not have been forced to wear WGN polos, or Comcast shirts, or maybe ESPN or Fox gear for games? I mean, "forced" is a bit strong, no. Have Len and JD complained about wearing shirt/tie? I just can't see how this is even remotely an issue for anyone other than the two of them...which I'd imagine it's not.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 am

they should wear full uniform like the coaching staff.
1 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:41 am

Brian wrote:they should wear full uniform like the coaching staff.

This is funny. When I was a kid, I always wondered why, if baseball managers and coaches wear the baseball uniform, why football coaches didn't "pad up".
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:48 am

PackLandVA wrote:Did it also bother you mildly when they may or not have been forced to wear WGN polos, or Comcast shirts, or maybe ESPN or Fox gear for games? I mean, "forced" is a bit strong, no. Have Len and JD complained about wearing shirt/tie? I just can't see how this is even remotely an issue for anyone other than the two of them...which I'd imagine it's not.

Len has said on Twitter that he likes wearing the shirt and tie.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:11 pm

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:Did it also bother you mildly when they may or not have been forced to wear WGN polos, or Comcast shirts, or maybe ESPN or Fox gear for games? I mean, "forced" is a bit strong, no. Have Len and JD complained about wearing shirt/tie? I just can't see how this is even remotely an issue for anyone other than the two of them...which I'd imagine it's not.

"Man in public eye says on a public forum that he likes that weird but ultimately tolerable thing that his bosses make him do."

Whether or not they like it is not the point. See TT's post above.
1 x

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:05 pm

Banedon wrote:

"Man in public eye says on a public forum that he likes that weird but ultimately tolerable thing that his bosses make him do."

I mean he didn’t have to acknowledge the question, but obviously he isn’t going to complain about it.

I do think they are dumb and doesn’t really suit them.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:30 pm

Banedon wrote:

I mean he didn’t have to acknowledge the question, but obviously he isn’t going to complain about it.

I do think they are dumb and doesn’t really suit them.

5 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Brian wrote:they should wear full uniform like the coaching staff.

Speaking of dumb....
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:21 pm

Bears content coming to Marquee

1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Brian wrote:Bears content coming to Marquee

Smart decision, though I wish they'd also focus on more Cubs coverage. Its still weird that they don't do things like air Theo's end of season press conference. We could consistently rely on NBC Sports Chicago to air any relevant press conferences from any of the teams. It feels like we're paying more money for less coverage of the team. Maybe its something they will eventually get better at.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Cubs Discussions”