Cubs TV broadcast rights

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Is the Tribune company known for a particular bias?

The newspaper used to be pretty conservative, but it has moved slightly to the left. It used to be that their political endorsements would be basically very Republican unless a Democrat was running unopposed. :lol:
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:24 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Fox News viewers can't grasp why an affiliation with Sinclair is a problem. Shocking.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:34 pm

The biggest problem with Sinclair isn't their bias, their support of bigotry, or their penchant for climate change denial. They are literally turning news broadcasts into propaganda. And it's not by hiring the Hannity style ultra-partisan folks. They're forcing their anchors, despite their beliefs, to run pro-Trump segments. That's what you see in North Korea and Saudi Arabia.
4 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Backtobanks wrote:

The newspaper used to be pretty conservative, but it has moved slightly to the left. It used to be that their political endorsements would be basically very Republican unless a Democrat was running unopposed. :lol:

The Trib was traditionally mainstream, middle of the road, “chamber of commerce” Republican. They’ve been more anti-Democrat machine politics than pro-anything in particular for most of their history. In 2016, they endorsed Rubio in the Republican primary and then refused to endorse either candidate in the general. You can put them with the other “Never-Trump” Republicans that don’t really seem to have a home in American politics anymore.
0 x

Forgotmyoldlogin
Role Player

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:19 am

champaignchris wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

The Trib was traditionally mainstream, middle of the road, “chamber of commerce” Republican. They’ve been more anti-Democrat machine politics than pro-anything in particular for most of their history. In 2016, they endorsed Rubio in the Republican primary and then refused to endorse either candidate in the general. You can put them with the other “Never-Trump” Republicans that don’t really seem to have a home in American politics anymore.

They endorsed Obama in 2008. It was big news at the time because the paper was known for being so conservative.
1 x

mhuber92211
All-Star

Postby mhuber92211 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:20 am

Bluescale wrote:The biggest problem with Sinclair isn't their bias, their support of bigotry, or their penchant for climate change denial. They are literally turning news broadcasts into propaganda. And it's not by hiring the Hannity style ultra-partisan folks. They're forcing their anchors, despite their beliefs, to run pro-Trump segments. That's what you see in North Korea and Saudi Arabia.

Wait what?! Please explain in your paragraph here complaining about one side of an argument being propaganda by using propaganda as your defense. How is a differing delivery of information the same as state only news?

It is absolutely insane to me how people who stand for something different are called bigots. It is not bigotry in most cases. I many it is holding people accountable for the consequences of their actions. As far as climate change, FYI a volcano just exploded in south america and in one day spewed 10 years worth of carbon dioxide in the air. This is a scientific fact.

Now I will be ridiculed for not believing in climate change. I agree there are several arguments for promoting a healthier planet. However, the asine way that this presented is ridiculous. For example, spending $100 billion dollars in California for a "high speed train" to nowhere. Require all new homes built 2021 or later to have solar panels. Over regulation of this "problem" that is undone with one natural disaster is a waste of money better spent on more important societal needs like education, mental health, hunger and shelter. You know the basics of life. The water rights and access to water in the southwest is becoming a critical issue that many people pay little attention to. I would rather spend $100 billion on better aqueducts and infrastructure than a railroad in Fresno.

Regardless of anyone agreeing with me the ultimate message should be about kindness. No matter what I believe or you believe, kindness and compassion should form the basis of society. This negative media and argument TV breeds discontent. Deliver your message in a better way and amazing results can happen.
0 x
Congrats Chicago

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:43 am

mhuber92211 wrote:As far as climate change, FYI a volcano just exploded in south america and in one day spewed 10 years worth of carbon dioxide in the air. This is a scientific fact.

Please source this.

When Mt. St. Helens blew, it released enough CO2 to account for 2.5 days of human activity. Are you saying there was an eruption 1825x larger than Mr. St. Helens somewhere in South America recently?

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/gas_climate.html

mhuber92211 wrote:Over regulation of this "problem" that is undone with one natural disaster is a waste of money better spent on more important societal needs like education, mental health, hunger and shelter. You know the basics of life.

Once the planet stops being able to support us, all those societal needs don't mean a thing.

mhuber92211 wrote:The water rights and access to water in the southwest is becoming a critical issue that many people pay little attention to.

I wonder what's contributing the water issues around the globe....

But here's the thing...none of that was my point. The problem with Sinclair is that they force stations and newscasters to air pro-Trump segments. This is literally propoganda during a newscast. Just because a private entity is carrying water for the government doesn't make it any less propaganda.
4 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:54 pm

mhuber92211 wrote:
Bluescale wrote:The biggest problem with Sinclair isn't their bias, their support of bigotry, or their penchant for climate change denial. They are literally turning news broadcasts into propaganda. And it's not by hiring the Hannity style ultra-partisan folks. They're forcing their anchors, despite their beliefs, to run pro-Trump segments. That's what you see in North Korea and Saudi Arabia.

Wait what?! Please explain in your paragraph here complaining about one side of an argument being propaganda by using propaganda as your defense. How is a differing delivery of information the same as state only news?

It is absolutely insane to me how people who stand for something different are called bigots. It is not bigotry in most cases. I many it is holding people accountable for the consequences of their actions. As far as climate change, FYI a volcano just exploded in south america and in one day spewed 10 years worth of carbon dioxide in the air. This is a scientific fact.

Now I will be ridiculed for not believing in climate change. I agree there are several arguments for promoting a healthier planet. However, the asine way that this presented is ridiculous. For example, spending $100 billion dollars in California for a "high speed train" to nowhere. Require all new homes built 2021 or later to have solar panels. Over regulation of this "problem" that is undone with one natural disaster is a waste of money better spent on more important societal needs like education, mental health, hunger and shelter. You know the basics of life. The water rights and access to water in the southwest is becoming a critical issue that many people pay little attention to. I would rather spend $100 billion on better aqueducts and infrastructure than a railroad in Fresno.

Regardless of anyone agreeing with me the ultimate message should be about kindness. No matter what I believe or you believe, kindness and compassion should form the basis of society. This negative media and argument TV breeds discontent. Deliver your message in a better way and amazing results can happen.

You are such an ideal audience member for Sinclair. Complete lack of sincerity and curiosity about the world.
Conservatives don't have facts on their side so they have to use PR to spin nonsense. Sinclair is basically a PR firm.
And the kindness you speak of is akin to Minnesota nice, where you act nicely in the outside to cover for your horrid actions and beliefs.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Hey man, there's a giant cow in Australia and every time it farts it warms the planet one degree. It's a scientific fact. There's just nothing we can do about global warming, so we might as well spend all our time and money building a wall to keep all the giant cows out of America.
7 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:40 pm

mhuber92211 wrote:
Now I will be ridiculed for not believing in climate change.

I mean. Of course you will be. You dont believe the climate changes?
2 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:04 pm

mhuber92211 wrote:

wow, what a big ol’ load of poop
0 x

mhuber92211
All-Star

Postby mhuber92211 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:07 pm

See this is exactly what I am talking about. "Minnesota" nice? "Horrid Thoughts and beliefs". My core belief is simply to do unto others as you would like done upon you and do least harm.

I also enjoy the assumptions made about me here. Thank you for relegating me to "being one of them who is perfect for propaganda" because I point out how ridiculous it is to no longer care about something that you have been passionate about because of a large company's actions.

as far as climate change - basing regulations and future assumptions on only 150 years of temperature data seems like a small view into a much larger discussion.

As far as believing in a border wall, which i do not (especially given my penchant for spending money on worthless causes when I stated more important needs are there) , I do not understand the illegal immigrant situation. Perhaps this is something you can educate me on. It seems like such a simple issue that I just can't wrap my head around why it's so convoluted. Is there a legal way to enter this country and become a citizen? Yes? Then follow the rules. If you don't, then you don't get to stay. Literally the issue is called illegal immigrants. Well, if it is against the law, than the path to coming into the country is there. Follow the path and come on in. The argument is over someone breaking the law and we should just saw "oh well, they've been here for 15 years so no worries, you are good" is ludicrous.

Regardless of political debate, the topic at hand is the distribution of Cub games so we can watch something that we are all passionate about. If watching this on a channel owned by a corporation that doesn't follow your political beliefs makes you no longer a fan, I urge you to look into some of the companies that distribute other content you enjoy. I doubt that you will find one that you will agree with and soon you will either choose to watch something or become someone so bitter about life you can't be happy.
0 x
Congrats Chicago

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Its not about different beliefs, it's about lying and propoganda, forcing people to be pro-trump.

Your willful ignorance on this issue speaks volumes.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:41 pm

0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:01 pm

mhuber,

If you can cite a good source for your claim on the south american volcano, I'll take the time to give you a thought out response without any vitriol.
2 x
Spoiler: show

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:28 pm

mhuber92211 wrote:Is there a legal way to enter this country and become a citizen? Yes? Then follow the rules. If you don't, then you don't get to stay. Literally the issue is called illegal immigrants. Well, if it is against the law, than the path to coming into the country is there. Follow the path and come on in. The argument is over someone breaking the law and we should just saw "oh well, they've been here for 15 years so no worries, you are good" is ludicrous.

I can comment on this, as someone who immigrated to this nation legally, as a child. Immigration is a time consuming and expensive process. I was fortunate that both my parents, despite being from the 3rd world, happened to be part of a minuscule middle class, and had 2 PhD's and 3 Masters between them. They were well educated, and had *some* money. Most of the people President Trump seeks to block with his wall are poor people, desperately seeking a better life. Many are seeking asylum, and literally cannot afford the time commitment required to immigrate legally.

I don't believe in purely open borders. There needs to be common sense constraints on who comes into our country, and how many people come into our country. However, I don't believe in the idea that only those who are already relatively well off should be allowed it. That belief is antithetical to the American ideals, and what made this nation great in the first place.

Also, you still haven't responded to my request for a source on the volcano statement. If you'll note, I haven't said anything mean about you. I'm all for civilized debate, and if I'm shown that I'm wrong about something, I'll own up to it. I hope you'll do the same.
12 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:25 pm

I’ll add, bluescale, that the big fat idiot also wants to limit legal immigration such as the your parents
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:09 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I’ll add, bluescale, that the big fat idiot also wants to limit legal immigration such as the your parents

Very much so. My parents were Pakistani, and coming from Nigeria when we immigrated. Well educated or not, they are precisely the type of horsefeathers countries he's trying to limit immigration from.
2 x

Cubs Fan Dan
Starter

Postby Cubs Fan Dan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:46 am

Who cares about all of this. Give the cubs $$$ to sign Harper, I’ll watch them on Univision!
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Cubs Fan Dan wrote:Who cares about all of this. Give the cubs $$$ to sign Harper, I’ll watch them on Univision!

What is the perceived negative connotation about Univision to which you are referring?
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:43 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubs Fan Dan wrote:Who cares about all of this. Give the cubs $$$ to sign Harper, I’ll watch them on Univision!

What is the perceived negative connotation about Univision to which you are referring?

Maybe he doesnt speak Spanish? Jeebus, lighten up.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:27 pm

NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Really? He's comparing having to be exposed to the spanish language with being forced conservative propoganda from sinclair. And I'm the one that needs to lighten up?
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:02 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:What is the perceived negative connotation about Univision to which you are referring?

Really? He's comparing having to be exposed to the spanish language with being forced conservative propoganda from sinclair. And I'm the one that needs to lighten up?

He's comparing watching Cubs game in English to watching Cubs game in Spanish.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:04 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:Maybe he doesnt speak Spanish? Jeebus, lighten up.

He's comparing watching Cubs game in English to watching Cubs game in Spanish.

I don't think Len speaks spanish.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:08 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:What is the perceived negative connotation about Univision to which you are referring?

Well, when you put it that way, it sounds pretty bad, but you’re assigning that narrative to his post. I am assuming he just as well could have said French TV, but then a French TV network isn’t as recognizable as Univision. I don’t know, but then I’m not the one jumping on his post as some “gotcha” moment either.

Not trying to single you out here. I just absolutely hate that type of discourse between Dems, eating our own. There are plenty of real things to be bothered by without some harmless comment being demonized and framed in the worst possible light. So yeah, please lighten up and don’t pile onto anything you can possibly construe as insensitive. It’s dumb politically speaking and it’s just silly.
1 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”