Cubs TV broadcast rights

PackLandVA
All-Star
Location: Still loving the Cubs, despite the hot takes on this board lately!

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:20 pm

So to summarize, out of market fans would only be able to see the Cubs broadcasts via MLab Extra Innings....as of now?
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:21 pm

PackLandVA wrote:So to summarize, out of market fans would only be able to see the Cubs broadcasts via MLab Extra Innings....as of now?

However out of market fans watch them now would almost certainly be the same way they'd see them on the Cubs network. This is really only materially different to the local market, in that there would no longer be any OTA broadcasts (WGN + ABC) and they would be on a different channel.

If you watch them on Extra Innings now, that's how you'll watch them. If you have MLB.tv, that's how you'll watch them.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:26 pm

David wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:So to summarize, out of market fans would only be able to see the Cubs broadcasts via MLab Extra Innings....as of now?

However out of market fans watch them now would almost certainly be the same way they'd see them on the Cubs network. This is really only materially different to the local market, in that there would no longer be any OTA broadcasts (WGN + ABC) and they would be on a different channel.

If you watch them on Extra Innings now, that's how you'll watch them. If you have MLB.tv, that's how you'll watch them.

I’m currently in the Chicago area. I’m mostly wondering for the future if I were to mov out of state. Back in the day, I refused to live in a certain town (out of state) because the cabl company they used didn’t carry WGN. That was way back when all but a handful of games were on WGN (before the sports channels).
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pm

PackLandVA wrote:
David wrote:

I’m currently in the Chicago area. I’m mostly wondering for the future if I were to mov out of state. Back in the day, I refused to live in a certain town (out of state) because the cabl company they used didn’t carry WGN. That was way back when all but a handful of games were on WGN (before the sports channels).

Yeah, I get everything through MLBTV across multiple platforms (app, Firestick, BluRay).
0 x
I like beer.

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks for the info guys and/or gals!
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:12 pm

David wrote:

Yeah that makes sense, still would be nice if us out of market could still get the network through a provider/app/streaming for non-game content. Though I don't know if that's feasible or even allowed.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:

Yeah that makes sense, still would be nice if us out of market could still get the network through a provider/app/streaming for non-game content. Though I don't know if that's feasible or even allowed.

If you have a TV provider with those types of options, I don't see why you wouldn't. Like a full directv package gets you all the RSNs they provide (or at least it used to). Just can't get the games on it.
Last edited by David on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:

If you have a TV provider with those types of options, I don't even why you wouldn't. Like a full directv package gets you all the RSNs they provide (or at least it used to). Just can't get the games on it.

My provider (Charter) doesn’t offer that, may need to look at Dish or Direct TV if the Cubs network is on there.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Yeah that makes sense, still would be nice if us out of market could still get the network through a provider/app/streaming for non-game content. Though I don't know if that's feasible or even allowed.

If you have a TV provider with those types of options, I don't even why you wouldn't. Like a full directv package gets you all the RSNs they provide (or at least it used to). Just can't get the games on it.

My provider (Charter) doesn’t offer that, may need to look at Dish or Direct TV if the Cubs network is on there.

tbh it's probably not worth what you'd have to spend to be at that tier. i can't imagine that any original programming would be can't miss...and what is worth watching will prob be stuff you can see on the website or somewhere online.

it'd be different if it were an a la carte thing but yeah.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:58 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm

GROSS.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:56 pm

If all those companies are in on bidding for RSN’s I have a hard time believing our TV Deal is falling short of what we were projecting we could get that could allegedly be the reason we are crying poor all the sudden. And if our projections aren’t matching the reality of what we can get I’d blame it on us over estimating internally more than the market falling apart with this news and the new MLB TV deal news last week.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:If all those companies are in on bidding for RSN’s I have a hard time believing our TV Deal is falling short of what we were projecting we could get that could allegedly be the reason we are crying poor all the sudden. And if our projections aren’t matching the reality of what we can get I’d blame it on us over estimating internally more than the market falling apart with this news and the new MLB TV deal news last week.

what
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:22 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:If all those companies are in on bidding for RSN’s I have a hard time believing our TV Deal is falling short of what we were projecting we could get that could allegedly be the reason we are crying poor all the sudden. And if our projections aren’t matching the reality of what we can get I’d blame it on us over estimating internally more than the market falling apart with this news and the new MLB TV deal news last week.

what

??? Amazon, Blackstone, KKR, Apollo and others bidding on RSN’s and the MLB TV deal last week has me thinking our TV deal isn’t in trouble of bringing in tons of cash (like some writers have guessed). Call me crazy for taking that stance with these two pieces of news.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:26 pm

So then PTR is just evil.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So then PTR is just evil.

I hope it's just a smoke screen and Harper will be a Cub by Christmas.

0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

what

??? Amazon, Blackstone, KKR, Apollo and others bidding on RSN’s and the MLB TV deal last week has me thinking our TV deal isn’t in trouble of bringing in tons of cash (like some writers have guessed). Call me crazy for taking that stance with these two pieces of news.

I honestly didn't understand what you were saying in either of those sentences. Clear now, and I agree with you
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Bezos needs to buy the radio rights to the Cubs. He could really help Pat Hughes tighten up his scorecard shipping issues
0 x

Neuby
All-Star

Postby Neuby » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:54 am

javy knows my name wrote:Cubswin11 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
If all those companies are in on bidding for RSN’s I have a hard time believing our TV Deal is falling short of what we were projecting we could get that could allegedly be the reason we are crying poor all the sudden. And if our projections aren’t matching the reality of what we can get I’d blame it on us over estimating internally more than the market falling apart with this news and the new MLB TV deal news last week.

what

Even a modest new Cubs TV deal will have the ownership reaping in heaps of cash. The new MLB TV deal and ticket price hike already cover the luxury tax bill. If the Cubs don't spend this offseason it won't be because of a TV deal falling short.... this better be a Theo smokescreen.
0 x

ewiggs12
bench player

Postby ewiggs12 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:43 am

But the TV deal does not start until 2020 when the Cubs will own the rights to broadcast the games and when they control the content they make massive amounts of money. It's really insane. The Cubs have the money to sign Bryce Harper and anyone else they want. Even if they go way over the luxury tax the tax they owe is less than $5M. So who cares? Spend the revenue to get a better product. Win many world series. I'm talking about trading Schwarber Happ or Almora. Russell goes without saying. They didn't want to reward him for bad behavior by cutting him loose. Allowing him to sign as a free agent elsewhere. Screw that. We deserve to get something from this stupid auto correct
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Hopefully this is good news that whatever we have been planning on is coming together and not just like plan D after it fell apart
0 x
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 pm

So if White Sox, Bulls, Hawks, NBC are set and leaking that fact, are the Cubs behind the curve, or up in the air?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:So if White Sox, Bulls, Hawks, NBC are set and leaking that fact, are the Cubs behind the curve, or up in the air?

Yeah idk if this is necessarily good or bad. They knew they likely weren’t coming along with whatever the Cubs did. So they had to go get set up with something, hopefully it means we have something solid coming to a close but could mean we are just scrambling because it somehow got horsefeathers up on our side
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:44 pm

The Cubs are splitting apart on their own venture, which is expected to begin in February 2020, when spring training starts to open a new season. The Cubs are expected to have a broadcast equity partner in their new venture, sources told Levine.

https://670thescore.radio.com/sources-b ... ts-chicago
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”