Cubs TV broadcast rights

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45365
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 80
x 2554
Contact:

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:27 am

If someone wants to write an article, I'll post it on the front page.

horsefeathers this.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25213
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7358
x 5256

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:38 am

This seems like a pretty specific thing to have on the deal for it not to be essentially done. Hopefully the Sinclair thing isn’t true and some other not entirely horrible and evil company (because whoever gets it will still suck, just not as much) actually is the one who gets it.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70347
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1242
x 2555

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:39 am

Cubswin11 wrote:This seems like a pretty specific thing to have on the deal for it not to be essentially done. Hopefully the Sinclair thing isn’t true and some other not entirely horrible and evil company (because whoever gets it will still suck, just not as much) actually is the one who gets it.



This is exactly what I was afraid of
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56182
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 505
x 6568

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:43 am

you were afraid of the Cubs making more money with their new tv deal?
2 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70347
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1242
x 2555

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:50 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:you were afraid of the Cubs making more money with their new tv deal?


Yes, you nailed it.

No, obviously worried that there could be cable/satellite carriers who don't carry the network
1 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60613
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2934
x 10170

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 am

Cubswin11 wrote:This seems like a pretty specific thing to have on the deal for it not to be essentially done. Hopefully the Sinclair thing isn’t true and some other not entirely horrible and evil company (because whoever gets it will still suck, just not as much) actually is the one who gets it.


Isn't this just talking abou t the new NBC network with the other 3 teams? That is the one being talked about as pretty much done. The Cubs one is not being talked about in nearly the same way.
Also LOL about paying more for NBCCH minus CHC
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25213
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7358
x 5256

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:This seems like a pretty specific thing to have on the deal for it not to be essentially done. Hopefully the Sinclair thing isn’t true and some other not entirely horrible and evil company (because whoever gets it will still suck, just not as much) actually is the one who gets it.


Isn't this just talking abou t the new NBC network with the other 3 teams? That is the one being talked about as pretty much done. The Cubs one is not being talked about in nearly the same way.
Also LOL about paying more for NBCCH minus CHC

Oh yeah. You are right. That’s for the new White Sox/Bulls/Blackhawks. I just completely misread the tweet. And yeah lol at charging more while taking the Cubs out and seeing those 3 teams ratings numbers in the Athletic article.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70347
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1242
x 2555

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:01 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:This seems like a pretty specific thing to have on the deal for it not to be essentially done. Hopefully the Sinclair thing isn’t true and some other not entirely horrible and evil company (because whoever gets it will still suck, just not as much) actually is the one who gets it.


Isn't this just talking abou t the new NBC network with the other 3 teams? That is the one being talked about as pretty much done. The Cubs one is not being talked about in nearly the same way.
Also LOL about paying more for NBCCH minus CHC


Good call, totally missed that
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34715
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 933
x 6264

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:02 am

he says networks (plural) but also 10/19 when the new flavor of nbc starts so who the horsefeathers knows what he means, including him
1 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60613
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2934
x 10170

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:he says networks (plural) but also 10/19 when the new flavor of nbc starts so who the horsefeathers knows what he means, including him

I believe that's supposed to say "network's end users"
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61457
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 8731
x 5183

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby David » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:he says networks (plural) but also 10/19 when the new flavor of nbc starts so who the horsefeathers knows what he means, including him

I believe that's supposed to say "network's end users"


To me it reads much more like there should be a comma after networks...but reporting that wouldn't make much sense.

If networks is supposed to have an apostrophe, that sentence is an even bigger disaster lol

Either way, I'm leaning strongly toward that Tweet just being about the new nbc network
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56182
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 505
x 6568

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:16 pm

A Cubs-Sinclair Partnership May be Cause for Concern

tl;dr Sinclair owns a ton of local over-the-air networks(and also the Tennis Channel for some reason), and has a history of yanking them off the air in disputes over retransmission fees. In a scenario where Sinclair owns the Cubs Network(they also bid on those Fox RSNs), they could leverage those OTAs to screw over cable subscribers further, and make local blackouts like the Dodgers more likely.
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Old Town
x 369
x 367

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:A Cubs-Sinclair Partnership May be Cause for Concern

tl;dr Sinclair owns a ton of local over-the-air networks(and also the Tennis Channel for some reason), and has a history of yanking them off the air in disputes over retransmission fees. In a scenario where Sinclair owns the Cubs Network(they also bid on those Fox RSNs), they could leverage those OTAs to screw over cable subscribers further, and make local blackouts like the Dodgers more likely.


and guess who's upset with Fangraphs

2 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9196
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1520
x 668

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:A Cubs-Sinclair Partnership May be Cause for Concern

tl;dr Sinclair owns a ton of local over-the-air networks(and also the Tennis Channel for some reason), and has a history of yanking them off the air in disputes over retransmission fees. In a scenario where Sinclair owns the Cubs Network(they also bid on those Fox RSNs), they could leverage those OTAs to screw over cable subscribers further, and make local blackouts like the Dodgers more likely.


and guess who's upset with Fangraphs



Whew. I'm not sure what I'd do if rmack was an otherwise smart or informed person
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2
Posts: 6320
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO
x 1258
x 593

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Sammys Boombox » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:58 am

The disputes that make it hard/impossible for fans to watch the games are the worst.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 34357
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1973
x 2039

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 am

Image

You'll be back. And you. And you. And youuuuu.
0 x

User avatar
mhuber92211
All-Star
Posts: 4281
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:11 am
Location: Wrigley at 3 months
x 2

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby mhuber92211 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:24 am

So huge media conglomerate buys distribution rights to favorite team sends many fans over the edge, Ironic given years of horrible team ownership of favorite team by huge media conglomerate. All simply because new media conglomerate has biased viewpoints of current events. Certainly old media conglomerate didn't have media bias or is it that their bias was acceptable based on personal political viewpoints?

How many people who are throwing their years of fandom away because of the company who is distributing the games care that they watch their favorite TV show on a local channel owned by Sinclair. Because favorite TV show is okay but cubs games aren't? Oh and let us not care to compare the alternatives for distribution. Amazon? Fox? Comcast? Somehow I suspect there are examples of horrible reporting there as well.

Face it, there are opposing viewpoints than yours. You are not absolutely correct in what you believe and neither is the other side of the argument. Learn to live in peace and enjoy life, such as your previous favorite baseball team that you have obsessed over for most of your life.
0 x
Congrats Chicago

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45365
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 80
x 2554
Contact:

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:32 am

oh boy
1 x
Spoiler: show

Image

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23398
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 878
x 1818

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:16 am

i can't believe that there are still so many people who pretend like bigotry is simply a differing view
8 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60613
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2934
x 10170

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:00 pm

mhuber92211 wrote:So huge media conglomerate buys distribution rights to favorite team sends many fans over the edge, Ironic given years of horrible team ownership of favorite team by huge media conglomerate. All simply because new media conglomerate has biased viewpoints of current events. Certainly old media conglomerate didn't have media bias or is it that their bias was acceptable based on personal political viewpoints?

How many people who are throwing their years of fandom away because of the company who is distributing the games care that they watch their favorite TV show on a local channel owned by Sinclair. Because favorite TV show is okay but cubs games aren't? Oh and let us not care to compare the alternatives for distribution. Amazon? Fox? Comcast? Somehow I suspect there are examples of horrible reporting there as well.

Face it, there are opposing viewpoints than yours. You are not absolutely correct in what you believe and neither is the other side of the argument. Learn to live in peace and enjoy life, such as your previous favorite baseball team that you have obsessed over for most of your life.

My favorite part is that you think this is clever.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49785
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 637
x 1691

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:27 pm

I live in a real city, so there are no Sinclair owned networks.
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
mhuber92211
All-Star
Posts: 4281
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:11 am
Location: Wrigley at 3 months
x 2

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby mhuber92211 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:36 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
mhuber92211 wrote:So huge media conglomerate buys distribution rights to favorite team sends many fans over the edge, Ironic given years of horrible team ownership of favorite team by huge media conglomerate. All simply because new media conglomerate has biased viewpoints of current events. Certainly old media conglomerate didn't have media bias or is it that their bias was acceptable based on personal political viewpoints?

How many people who are throwing their years of fandom away because of the company who is distributing the games care that they watch their favorite TV show on a local channel owned by Sinclair. Because favorite TV show is okay but cubs games aren't? Oh and let us not care to compare the alternatives for distribution. Amazon? Fox? Comcast? Somehow I suspect there are examples of horrible reporting there as well.

Face it, there are opposing viewpoints than yours. You are not absolutely correct in what you believe and neither is the other side of the argument. Learn to live in peace and enjoy life, such as your previous favorite baseball team that you have obsessed over for most of your life.

My favorite part is that you think this is clever.


Nope, simply matter of fact. Nothing clever about it. Educate me in how the simple statements are incorrect. Is the suggestion that Tribune media not biased? Or Comcast? I am keeping things as simple as possible. Perhaps I am naive but how can a giant company be considered "bigotry"?
0 x
Congrats Chicago

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 3811
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1178
x 1365

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby squally1313 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Up there with my favorite terrible counter arguments is "well why didn't you speak out against X or Y back when they were doing bad things? lol what a hypocrite". I was 20 when the Tribune sold the Cubs, I'm 30 now...people get older, they get smarter, they learn things. You're essentially arguing against progress.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49785
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 637
x 1691

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Is the Tribune company known for a particular bias?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9514
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 5104
x 592

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby Old Style » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:24 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Is the Tribune company known for a particular bias?

Anti-winning
4 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests