Midseason Assessment (aka - what do we need at the deadline?)

Tim
Hall of Fame

Midseason Assessment (aka - what do we need at the deadline?)

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Position Players:

Beyond solid - we're good here with depth to spare. There really isn't a single spot to upgrade other than backup catcher.

Bullpen:

If Carl and Morrow are healthy, we're good from the right side. Morrow, Strop, Carl & Cishek are totally solid at the end of games. We've got depth here with Maples, Butler, Bass, Mekkes and more. The left side is much more of a question. If Monty is needed in the rotation, our other lefties suck. Rosario is running on smoke and mirrors. Duensing shows what happens when you depend on that for too long. Ideally, I'd love to grab O'Day from Baltimore to shore up the pen. The only problem with O'Day is that he'd complicate the pursuit of Harper in the offseason. But we need some help from that left side. I'd be very open to trading for O'Day, riding him like we rode Chapman, and then trading him and his salary off during the winter.

Starters:

Yeesh. Uh, where to begin? Based on contracts, we're kinda locked into these guys for a while. We almost have to run with what we have and hope they come around.

-------------------

I really thought I'd have more to say when I started the post. But we're stuck with our starters, for better or worse. The position players are awesome and deep. All I'd really pursue would be a backup catcher and a lefty reliever such as O'Day.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: Midseason Assessment (aka - what do we need at the deadline?)

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:16 pm

O’day is a righty and out for the year, fyi.

But yes I agree, not a ton of needs. I’d like a backup catcher upgrade, Martin Maldonado or old friend Rene Rivera would be nice.

As for bullpen arms...... I’d really like another bullpen add and think we should sell off whatever minor leaguers to get a kick ass guy. Treinen and Ottavino would be my top two targets followed by Hand and Britton. Kirby Yates also intrigues, Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellmen are also be high on the list since they can both start if needed. But I’d say those are the RPs I want the most
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:28 pm

huh, why have I thought he's a lefty for years now?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:O’day is a righty and out for the year, fyi.

But yes I agree, not a ton of needs. I’d like a backup catcher upgrade, Martin Maldonado or old friend Rene Rivera would be nice.

As for bullpen arms...... I’d really like another bullpen add and think we should sell off whatever minor leaguers to get a kick ass guy. Treinen and Ottavino would be my top two targets followed by Hand and Britton. Kirby Yates also intrigues, Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellmen are also be high on the list since they can both start if needed. But I’d say those are the RPs I want the most

Rene Rivera is also injured right now. Not too worried about the backup C spot. I think Caratini could fill it if necessary.

All the names you mentioned will come at hefty prices, especially Treinen, Hand and Ottavino. So Britton looks pretty bad right now and I'm not sure how much value he has. Might not be fully right till next year.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Tim wrote:huh, why have I thought he's a lefty for years now?

Haha, yeah I’ve done that with guys before. Also assuming full health I don’t think the hand the acquired pitcher throws with is that big of a deal. Monty will be in the pen for lefties, Carl does well against them, Morrow is good, Wilson has kinda not been bad even tho I still hate him. Treinen and Ottavino kill lefties just fine too.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 pm

I'd like to see what Cahill would cost. An achilles injury has held him out for a month but his arm is healthy. He pitches to the strength of the defense with tons of gb.
Last edited by We Got The Whole 9 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Rene Rivera is also injured right now. Not too worried about the backup C spot. I think Caratini could fill it if necessary.

All the names you mentioned will come at hefty prices, especially Treinen, Hand and Ottavino. So Britton looks pretty bad right now and I'm not sure how much value he has. Might not be fully right till next year.

Ottavino is a FA after the year and is like 34, I don’t think he’d cost much more than Bote and whatever arm they want from the system.

I also want to trade Caritini while he still has some value on what he could be as a switch hitting catcher because I think he sucks.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Ottavino is a FA after the year and is like 34, I don’t think he’d cost much more than Bote and whatever arm they want from the system.

I also want to trade Caritini while he still has some value on what he could be as a switch hitting catcher because I think he sucks.

Ottavino would be great, but Colorado is positioning themselves as buyers, not sellers.

here's an article talking about who might be availalble: https://www.mlb.com/news/reliever-trade ... -283023802

Of those names, the standouts to me are obviously Hand and Iglesias. I like Kela as an under the radar guy and Oh has had a very nice bounceback year.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Tim wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Ottavino would be great, but Colorado is positioning themselves as buyers, not sellers.

here's an article talking about who might be availalble: https://www.mlb.com/news/reliever-trade ... -283023802

Of those names, the standouts to me are obviously Hand and Iglesias. I like Kela as an under the radar guy and Oh has had a very nice bounceback year.

Yeah the Treinen and Ottavino targets require their teams to fall out a bit more than where they are now. The Rockies are horsefeathering idiots too and they wouldn’t know when to sell if it hit them in face anyways. I liked Oh as a buy low target in the offseason, and I’d like to aim higher now but he’d be okay for me.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Bring me Treinen.
2 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:19 pm

One option for back up catcher could be Robinson Chirinos in Texas. He's in the last year of his contract, Texas sucks, and may not be too expensive to pick up.

Caratini should not be the back-up. The only way he has value as a catcher is if he's getting plate appearances. I think he can be an above average hitter, but he's definitely not good behind the plate, which I value highly for the back up. Chirinos I think get's pretty good marks.
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:21 pm

sweetpeteman wrote:One option for back up catcher could be Robinson Chirinos in Texas. He's in the last year of his contract, Texas sucks, and may not be too expensive to pick up.

Caratini should not be the back-up. The only way he has value as a catcher is if he's getting plate appearances. I think he can be an above average hitter, but he's definitely not good behind the plate, which I value highly for the back up. Chirinos I think get's pretty good marks.

Paging TT
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 pm

I'm wondering if they might go get someone with a profile similar to Mike Montgomery when we acquired him; a promising young reliever for whom the book has not entirely closed on starting. I think the team is likely going to need to horsefeathers or get off the pot with Montgomery as a starter this winter, and so going out and grabbing Montgomery 2.0 would kill two birds with one stone. It would bolster this year's rotation depth and it would backfill the swingman role for next year. A few examples of names I'm looking at are Robbie Erlin, Seth Lugo, Robert Gsellman, and Daniel Norris (might be a little too much of a reclamation project).
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Bertz wrote:I'm wondering if they might go get someone with a profile similar to Mike Montgomery when we acquired him; a promising young reliever for whom the book has not entirely closed on starting. I think the team is likely going to need to horsefeathers or get off the pot with Montgomery as a starter this winter, and so going out and grabbing Montgomery 2.0 would kill two birds with one stone. It would bolster this year's rotation depth and it would backfill the swingman role for next year. A few examples of names I'm looking at are Robbie Erlin, Seth Lugo, Robert Gsellman, and Daniel Norris (might be a little too much of a reclamation project).

I’ve wondered the same thing as well and can get on board with taking that route. Smyly fits this role as well if he is able to be back this year.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:I'm wondering if they might go get someone with a profile similar to Mike Montgomery when we acquired him; a promising young reliever for whom the book has not entirely closed on starting. I think the team is likely going to need to horsefeathers or get off the pot with Montgomery as a starter this winter, and so going out and grabbing Montgomery 2.0 would kill two birds with one stone. It would bolster this year's rotation depth and it would backfill the swingman role for next year. A few examples of names I'm looking at are Robbie Erlin, Seth Lugo, Robert Gsellman, and Daniel Norris (might be a little too much of a reclamation project).

I’ve wondered the same thing as well and can get on board with taking that route. Smyly fits this role as well if he is able to be back this year.

This winter it sounded like Smyly is a pure reliever this year, but I would assume he's definitely in play for the Monty role next year.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Maple does not appear to be a solution in the pen
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:18 am

We need approximately 15 new pitchers.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:20 am

Stroman, Happ, and Estrada please
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 am

sweetpeteman wrote:One option for back up catcher could be Robinson Chirinos in Texas. He's in the last year of his contract, Texas sucks, and may not be too expensive to pick up.

I've been thinking about Jonathan Lucroy.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:38 am

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:

A Treinen/Lucroy package would be ideal (even Cahill added in). Beane seems like he’d potentially value a guy like Bote a little more than others, same with Zagunis. Obviously will take more prospects but think there “could” be building blocks there to something.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

A Treinen/Lucroy package would be ideal (even Cahill added in). Beane seems like he’d potentially value a guy like Bote a little more than others, same with Zagunis. Obviously will take more prospects but think there “could” be building blocks there to something.

Oakland has Chapman at 3B, so they don't need Bote. I'm not sure we have the prospects to get Treinen or Treinen plus.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 am

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Oakland has Chapman at 3B, so they don't need Bote. I'm not sure we have the prospects to get Treinen or Treinen plus.

Bote has played 2b in the minors
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Oakland probably thinks they can make the playoffs next year (or even this year if Seattle stops being stupid lucky - they’re the freaking AL version of the Brewers), meaning they probably only sell a long term asset like Treinan if the other team pays through the nose.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 pm

champaignchris wrote:Oakland probably thinks they can make the playoffs next year (or even this year if Seattle stops being stupid lucky - they’re the freaking AL version of the Brewers), meaning they probably only sell a long term asset like Treinan if the other team pays through the nose.

If Beane is really looking to sell (and save some money), maybe a deal for Lowrie, Cahill, and Lucroy involving Bote plus other prospects. Big addition to the bench and bullpen/spot starter and they all come off the books after this year. Lowrie adds a lot of versatility and is a switch hitter.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 pm

We need Mike Trout, Justin Verlander, and Max Scherzer. Throw in Kluber too just be sure.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Return to “Cubs Discussions”