Albert Amora Jr

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Albert Amora Jr

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Yeah, and it's that Baez is an awesome baseball freak and that Almora is likely Just Some Dude, so get outta here with that stuff.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:29 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:Using that link (https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/expected ... HC&min=100), we should have traded Baez two years ago because he was due for a big regression. Stats are fun and great for argumentative purposes, but there's a reason the game is played on the field.

There was a way to say this without being a [expletive]

Sounds like you need a safe space. The internet may not be for you, little girl.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:31 pm

GET OFF THE INTERNET, FEMALE
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Using that link (https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/expected ... HC&min=100), we should have traded Baez two years ago because he was due for a big regression. Stats are fun and great for argumentative purposes, but there's a reason the game is played on the field.

Stats are good for even more than that if you know how to use them and put them in the proper context. :good:
0 x
Spoiler: show

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Old Style wrote:

Sounds like you need a safe space. The internet may not be for you, little girl.

get the horsefeathers out of here with this.
5 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:41 pm

As the person who was being skeptical of xwOBA like 5 posts ago, it is measuring what happens on the field. Do you think it's a ranking of their Mario Kart abilities or something? Is it 2004 again?
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
Old Style wrote:

Jokes, yo.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Old Style wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
Old Style wrote:Sounds like you need a safe space. The internet may not be for you, little girl.

Jokes, yo.

it was a really bad joke.
1 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 pm

QUIT BEING SO MEAN TO ME YOU MEANIE HEAD.
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Old Style wrote:QUIT BEING SO MEAN TO ME YOU MEANIE HEAD.

is this another joke i can't tell
2 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

No, the internet is serious business. You have crushed my will to live. I am now going to swerve into oncoming traffic because of the continued harassment here on this message board.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Old Style wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

No, the internet is serious business. You have crushed my will to live. I am now going to swerve into oncoming traffic because of the continued harassment here on this message board.

Just so we're clear: misogynistic jokes, even if they're ironic, aren't okay. You can banter and even needle people for being over-sensitive without crossing that line. This is not a suggestion. I'd also suggest that trying to use safe space as a pejorative is also something to seriously reconsider.
2 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I apologize for my poor attempts at humor. I did not mean to offend or upset anyone here.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 pm

I knew an Old Style meltdown would happen eventually, but didn't think this would be what set him off
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm

That's nowhere close to a meltdown. Not saying I'm not capable of one, though. :hello:
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Insults aside, I still tend to agree with TT that all of these advanced stats are not very predictive especially with young players. If Almora is terribly over-valued at this point and due for an ugly regression according to these stats, then I'm sure the other teams use those same stats when making decisions on trades and certainly wouldn't trade us a TOR starter. BTW, using some of those advanced stats has us 4.5 games ahead of the Brewers instead of 1.5 back.
1 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Insults aside, I still tend to agree with TT that all of these advanced stats are not very predictive especially with young players. If Almora is terribly over-valued at this point and due for an ugly regression according to these stats, then I'm sure the other teams use those same stats when making decisions on trades and certainly wouldn't trade us a TOR starter. BTW, using some of those advanced stats has us 4.5 games ahead of the Brewers instead of 1.5 back.

Have any three team trade proposals you'd like to hit us with?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Insults aside, I still tend to agree with TT that all of these advanced stats are not very predictive especially with young players. If Almora is terribly over-valued at this point and due for an ugly regression according to these stats, then I'm sure the other teams use those same stats when making decisions on trades and certainly wouldn't trade us a TOR starter. BTW, using some of those advanced stats has us 4.5 games ahead of the Brewers instead of 1.5 back.

1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 pm

This is so far off in so many ways I'm perplexed on how to respond.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I also would like to agree with TT that the moon landing was a hoax perpetuated by the lizard people.
3 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I actually agree about the over-valued thing. It's not 2005 anymore, if his BABIP is really just a mirage that's not fooling anybody in the game to give up excess value for him. There are no dumb FO's anymore except maybe Colorado.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Bertz wrote:I actually agree about the over-valued thing. It's not 2005 anymore, if his BABIP is really just a mirage that's not fooling anybody in the game to give up excess value for him. There are no dumb FO's anymore except maybe Colorado.

Baltimore. Unless you didn't list them because dumb is way too positive of a description for them.
3 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 pm

davell wrote:
Bertz wrote:I actually agree about the over-valued thing. It's not 2005 anymore, if his BABIP is really just a mirage that's not fooling anybody in the game to give up excess value for him. There are no dumb FO's anymore except maybe Colorado.

Baltimore. Unless you didn't list them because dumb is way too positive of a description for them.

Yeah Baltimore is a good call. Though I tend to think Duquette knows what he's doing and Angelos is just a nightmare, meaning their issues are more big picture and less not properly valuing guys in trade.

The larger point still stands, there aren't any FOs anymore that don't get BABIP or FIP or other concepts that were novel like 12 years ago. If we can spend 30 seconds on Fangraphs and figure out that a guy has been fortunate then they're not going to be overvalued on the market.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Bertz wrote:
davell wrote:

Yeah Baltimore is a good call. Though I tend to think Duquette knows what he's doing and Angelos is just a nightmare, meaning their issues are more big picture and less not properly valuing guys in trade.

The larger point still stands, there aren't any FOs anymore that don't get BABIP or FIP or other concepts that were novel like 12 years ago. If we can spend 30 seconds on Fangraphs and figure out that a guy has been fortunate then they're not going to be overvalued on the market.

Given that Colorado demoted Gray because they didn't understand it, how about we propose that swap?
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Tim wrote:
Bertz wrote:
davell wrote:

Given that Colorado demoted Gray because they didn't understand it, how about we propose that swap?

I believe most indications out of Colorado are that they wanted to give him a mental breather more than they actually think he's bad now. Similar to Schwarber being sent down last year, pull the cord before he starts pressing too much and developing bad habits.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”