Trout CF
Rizzo 1B
Bryant 3B
Schwarber LF
Baez SS
Contreras C
Heyward RF
Pitcher

Even has some nice righty, lefty, righty, lefty, righty balance through the middle of that murderers row of Trout, Rizz, KB, Schwarber, Baez.
0 x

philosophizer75
All-Star

Re: David Bote is a Golden God and Deserves His Own Thread

Postby philosophizer75 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:36 pm

I will never forget where I was when Willson debuted with his first pitch dong to center against the Pirates. I yelled really really loud even though I was at a friend's place and his parents were sleeping.

Then I came on here and typed in all caps that Theo wasn't giving us waves of players, but rather was giving us tsunamis.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:44 pm

How many more excuses will Joe find to keep him out of the starting lineup? Bryant is apparently riddled with Boneitis for the foreseeable future, while we all have a raging case of Boteitis.

START THE DAMN BOTE.
5 x
► Show Spoiler

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 am

Russell, Happ, Almora and prospects for Mike Trout? Cmon guys
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:30 am

Gmoney08 wrote:
sneakypower wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:This guy is actually good. Shockingly so.

this may be a really dumbass suggestion for many reasons, BUT

if we internally, love Bote and think he's some safe bet to be 3+ WAR, Corey Koskie redux, what does Billy Eppler say if you offer him up Bryant, Happ/Almora, ++ for Trout? how much does he try to add on before you take pause?

Think that already easily gets the deal done if Angels have any inclination to move him with KB's extra years of team control.

But if you are making this deal because you see Bote as a solid to good starter. Thats not the deal you make.

You trade Russell, Almora, Happ, and even add any 2 prospects the Angels want. Amaya, Azolay who cares.

You go Bote to 2nd, Baez to SS and obviously Trout to CF so you dont need the CF platoon.

That trade above has to get you extremely close to landing Trout. If they insist on Schwarber over Happ you move Happ to LF, Trout in CF.

i can't ever see a Trout trade happening without an unquestioned superstar going back
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Russell, Happ, Almora and prospects for Mike Trout? Cmon guys

Yeah, that might not even get half of Trout.

Why would a team trade the best player of this generation for a crappy Russell, crappy Almora, Happ and some not top-5 MLB prospects?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:34 am

Remember, guys. GMoney is CubsGM
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Russell, Happ, Almora and prospects for Mike Trout? Cmon guys

Guy.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:49 pm

wait, does this mean Bote is a terrible teammate and everybody hates him or will be soon?
5 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:

Why would a team trade the best player of this generation for a crappy Russell, crappy Almora, Happ and some not top-5 MLB prospects?

Russell is an above average everyday player who is 24. He isn't crappy. That's a laughable package for Trout, but he isn't crappy.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:09 pm

David wrote:

Russell is an above average everyday player who is 24. He isn't crappy. That's a laughable package for Trout, but he isn't crappy.

Russell is about to start getting expensive and plays great defense and doesn't do horsefeathers on offense. I can find that guy a ton cheaper and get value for a guy that hopefully others think isn't horsefeathers.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:24 pm

David wrote:

Russell is about to start getting expensive and plays great defense and doesn't do horsefeathers on offense. I can find that guy a ton cheaper and get value for a guy that hopefully others think isn't horsefeathers.

I'd love to see a list of such guys.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:26 pm

Bertz wrote:
David wrote:

Just go find the next Nick Ahmed or a younger version of Alcides Escobar and bat them ninth.
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Guy.

Yeah I didnt realize he essentially replied to his own trade proposal, my b
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Bertz wrote:

Just go find the next Nick Ahmed or a younger version of Alcides Escobar and bat them ninth.

Alcides Escobar has a career wRC+ of 69, while Russell is at 91. That's an even bigger difference than 2017 and 2018 Anthony Rizzo. I think you might be underrating Russell's bat just a tad.
1 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Bertz wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Alcides Escobar has a career wRC+ of 69, while Russell is at 91. That's an even bigger difference than 2017 and 2018 Anthony Rizzo. I think you might be underrating Russell's bat just a tad.

What is Russell these days? I assume that takes in account his first season? Because he's gotten much more worthless over time. Maybe I'll come around when he finds a way to slug .400 again.

ETA: I must correct myself. His second offensive year was the year when I thought he could be awesome.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:47 pm

David wrote:

He's likely a 3+ win player this year, barring injury. He's not going to be expensive enough to not have surplus value there anytime soon.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Bertz wrote:

What is Russell these days? I assume that takes in account his first season? Because he's gotten much more worthless over time. Maybe I'll come around when he finds a way to slug .400 again.

ETA: I must correct myself. His second offensive year was the year when I thought he could be awesome.

Russell is at a 93 wRC+ this season. So, higher than that career number mentioned earlier.
1 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:52 pm

David wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Russell is at a 93 wRC+ this season. So, higher than that career number mentioned earlier.

I don't get how any of this works. The dude sucks on offense this season, right? Anybody slugging .374 has to suck on offense.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:02 pm

all praise David Bote. take this to the “Russell can’t hit and has a noodle arm” thread
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:03 pm

David wrote:

I don't get how any of this works. The dude sucks on offense this season, right? Anybody slugging .374 has to suck on offense.

Alcides Escobar has a career OBP of .291. They aren't in the same conversation.

Russell is hitting .268/.339/.378 with a 94 wRC+. The league average shortstop is hitting .255/.318/.402 with a 94 wRC+. He's hit exactly like an average shortstop, with excellent defense.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
David wrote:

Russell is hitting .268/.339/.378 with a 94 wRC+. The league average shortstop is hitting .255/.318/.402 with a 94 wRC+. He's hit exactly like an average shortstop, with excellent defense.

I stand corrected. I guess I'll just appreciate our average hitting shortstop who I thought for sure had to be a horsefeathers offensive player but who is not.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Also, screw everybody for talking about this in the David Bote thread. Very disrespectful to a future Hall of Famer.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Duke Silver wrote:

I stand corrected. I guess I'll just appreciate our average hitting shortstop who I thought for sure had to be a horsefeathers offensive player but who is not.

He's definitely been a major disappoint -- and a horsefeathers person.

He's our worst bat, for sure. But that's the case with most teams' shortstops. Shortstops can't hit. The Brewers are sacrificing offense for defense with Orlando Arcia, because he plays a good shortstop, and he's hitting .197/.233/.249. He's also a worse defender than Russell.

He definitely hasn't lived up to expectations and he is probably a major piece of horsefeathers. So there's really no need to appreciate him. But he's a fine player.
3 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:09 pm

I wanna talk about how Addison Russell isn't better than Andrelton Simmons, but this is the thread where we ask why David Bote isn't playing.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”